• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gintama Discussion-Screw that nasty 4th Wall

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Damnit, this deserves a thread, even though there's not an anime out. I don't care if this dies tomorrow, I want to discuss it because it's part of my Big 3. It's honestly one of the best things since sliced bread and anyone who disagrees obviously hasn't gotten past the first 30 episodes.

[img139]http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/anime/4/43157.jpg[/img139]​

Anyway, what are people's favorite serious arcs?

Mine would be the Courtesan Arc, the 4 Devas arc, and the first Yoshiwara arc, in that order.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
My favourite arc is still the first Yoshiwara arc. Like I said before in the other thread every part of that story clicked with me. All the fights were brutal and exciting and the intro scene to episode 140 was one the funniest moments in the series (the bit with Tsukuyo's kunai and "sorry to keep you waiting"). Those other two arcs in my opinion are both fantastic runners up.

About time we had a thread for this and perfect timing since I finished the anime an hour ago. Here's hoping we can keep it alive.

Shadow XD001

The best anime. Ever.

My favorite arc is probably the Suzuran/Courtesan Arc (whatever it's called), followed by the Shinsengumi Crisis Arc, and then the first Yoshiwara Arc. All of the serious arcs were excellent though. Some semi serious ones are top notch too.

I've been spreading the Gintama love recently. Got two people to start watching it! they made it past the first 30 episodes, thankfully

Last edited:

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
My favourite arc is still the first Yoshiwara arc. Like I said before in the other thread every part of that story clicked with me. All the fights were brutal and exciting and the intro scene to episode 140 was one the funniest moments in the series (the bit with Tsukuyo's kunai and "sorry to keep you waiting"). Those other two arcs in my opinion are both fantastic runners up.

The Courtesan arc combined almost all the factions into one arc and it was amazing. Not only did they spend time on one of my favorite recurring jokes(Accidental abuse of the Shogun, which is one of the best things ever), the back story for it was rather touching, we got to see Sensei's face and Gintoki's battle was one of the best, if not the best in the series. Of course, it gets huge brownie points from me because I love battles where people are either on a bridge or falling. That always knocks up the score for me for a battle

Ace Of Keys

Me and My sketch pad
Yoshiwara's definitely my favorite. Benizakura is always a fan favorite and I believe a classic. I also cried in the Tama arc and i found the Kintama arc funny ;)

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Yoshiwara was a pretty good arc, but it felt a little over-long. At least Hosen was a huge ******* and you want to see him get his comeuppance, and man, was it great when it happened. However, I really thought that the Jigzaw two-parter was a bit better -- just, watching Toshiro and Sougo trying to read each other? Highly entertaining. I dunno about the ending to it, though, maybe it was a little too left-field.

I definitely enjoyed the hell out of the Ryugu-jo arc, though, just going off of things from Season 3. I'll be starting in on Season 4 either tomorrow or later tonight.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Yoshiwara was a pretty good arc, but it felt a little over-long.

It's the longest serious arc in the anime. Only other arc that comes close to it's length is the one from 158?/159 to 163?. It's not a serious arc, but you can tell they were stretching the material

I dunno about the ending to it, though, maybe it was a little too left-field.

The endings that are way left field are the best. There's one around episode 175 that is great

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Of course, it gets huge brownie points from me because I love battles where people are either on a bridge or falling. That always knocks up the score for me for a battle

I'm just going to leave this here.

And yeah, Shogun episodes are always the best.

Shadow XD001

So, what is everyone's favorite openings in Gintama? Mine top 5 would be 13, 11, 5, 9, and 8. My least favorites were 2, 6, and 7. The rest are not bad, but not my favorites.

And it turns out I got a third person to watch Gintama.

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
Yay, Gintama thread!

My fave arcs are; Fuyo, Mitsuba, Shinsengumi Crisis, Tama Quest, Glasses, Host Club, Baragaki & Kintama arc. But the ones I loved the most are the Popularity Contest & Kabukicho Four Devas arc. I don't like arcs with too much GinxTsukky moments, ew.

As for fave openings; by far Tougenkyou Alien, Dilemma & Light Infection. Oh and the last Yorinuki Gintama-san OP a.k.a. Movie Opening, Genjou Destruction <33

Last edited:

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Favourite opening for Gintama is definitely Tougenkyou Alien. It captures the feeling of the show best in my opinion. That, and the "HA! A SORE!" and the "da, Da, DAAAHH" are infectious.

Pray, Stairway Generation, Sakura Mitsutsuki are good ones too. Really all of Gintama's openings are great but those are my favourites.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Wonderland, Sakura Mitsutsuki, Stairway Generation, and Genjou Destruction are my favorites

And Samurai Heart is the best ED

Afrodisiac

My favorite endings by far are: Nakama by GOOD COMING. Feels so nostalgic to see all of the characters between Ep. 1-252; and Wo Ai Ni, female characters FTW!

I also loved Kiseki (always remember that version with Tama smiling), Samurai Heart (Some Like it Hot!!), Asa Answer & Sanagi.

Shadow XD001

As for favorite ending, mine is probably Shura. Admittedly, I don't remember most of them (didn't listen to a lot) except for that one and Samurai Heart.
t

The Admiral

It's the longest serious arc in the anime. Only other arc that comes close to it's length is the one from 158?/159 to 163?. It's not a serious arc, but you can tell they were stretching the material

I'm in the middle of the very arc you speak of. I think this is one of the very few in Gintama that I'm not really a fan of, to this point.

(edit: Sougo's narration in episode 161 really makes up for it, though)

Last edited:

Afrodisiac

BWT, What's your top 5 male/female characters? Here's mine:

Male:

1 - Hijikata
2 - Gin-san
3 - MADAO
4 - Katsura
5 - Zenzou / Sakamoto

Female:

1 - Tama
2 - Sa-chan
3 - Kagura
4 - Kyuubei
5 - Otae / Mutsu

Last edited:

Shadow XD001

Top 5 Male:
1. Gintoki
2. Hijikata
3. Sougo
4. Madao
5. Katsura

Top 5 Female:
1. Sa-chan
2. Otae
3. Kyuubei
4. Kagura
5. Tama

The Admiral

I think my list of top 5 male characters is:
1. Gintoki
2. Matsudaira
3. Hijikata
4. Madao
5. Sougo
with and Zura duking it out over a VERY CLOSE sixth place.

edit: ****, I said Madao twice, didn't I. I think I meant someone else, which was probably Gorilla.

Last edited: