• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Giving Chase at the Rhyhorn Race! (810)

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
People need to just get use to the music in the dub, no offense, it's not like the XY music was well recieved. And that could be just a error, I'll look into it.
None taken. I partly understand, which is why I try to never listen to RAW version with sound anymore. I just had a little pet peeve with this one since I saw Ash and Serena's flashback with the Laverre City theme in the RAW and it became one of my favorite moments in the season so far

None taken. I partly understand, which is why I try to never listen to RAW version with sound anymore. I just had a little pet peeve with this one since I saw Ash and Serena's flashback with the Laverre City theme in the RAW and it became one of my favorite moments in the season so far

Yes, it's the only thing people never stop bringing up, the neverending hell if it does become canon. I may ship it, but it won't be long before she becomes Misty 2.0, you don't wanna know what that means.

I like the subtle gasps of expression from the dub's flashback when Serena in held by Ash. At least it proves we can emote like japan.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Yes, it's the only thing people never stop bringing up, the neverending hell if it does become canon. I may ship it, but it won't be long before she becomes Misty 2.0, you don't wanna know what that means.

I like the subtle gasps of expression from the dub's flashback when Serena in held by Ash. At least it proves we can emote like japan.

I'm not really a big supporter of shippers. I just liked that scene in terms of mood, emotions, music, etc. It was just one of those moments in animation (Western and anime) where everything worked together to create a strong and powerful scene

Last edited:

NPT

Just a member
Alright, I finally watched this episode, and I really liked it. Ash asking Serena to join the group was nice, it's the FIRST time in Pokémon when the main girl didn't just follow Ash, but instead of that, he himself asked her to travel with him. She already has some nice interaction and group dynamics, and her joining the group made things even better.

Serena becoming friends with Bonnie was cute. Unlike Dawn and Iris becoming instant "best friends" in BW, Bonnie and Serena's friendship feels more natural and less forced. The flashback to Ash and Serena's meeting was sweet. It's nice of Ash to help Serena when she injured her leg. Also, the accidental hug between Ash and Serena .... was so kawaii and Amourshippy. Serena appear to have a crush on Ash, so I'm interested to see how their relationship goes from this point.

For those who were disappointed about Ash not remebering Serena in the last episode, he actually remembered her after she reminded him of their meeting in Prof. Oak's Summer Camp. In the last episode he was too focused with his Gym battle, hence why he couldn't remember her back then. Anyway, It was nice to see Serena trying teaching Ash how to ride a Rhyhorn. Despite how she initially didn't seem all that much interested in Rhyhorn Racing in the first place, she did put her lessons to good use, even to the point where she almost started to sound like her mom. It seemed like Ash's determination to sucessfully ride the Rhyhorn made Serena realize that she was wrong about Rhyhorn Racing, which was a nice development for her. The Rhyhorn licking scene was kinda disgusting though.

The videophone conversation with Serena and her mom was nice. It's kinda funny when Ash was telling Grace how much of a expert Serena is at rhyhorn racing. I'm sure Grace was glad to hear all that praise, hence why she approved of Serena going on a journey with her new (and old) friends. It was sweet of Serena to Give Ash and everyone cookies.

Overall, this was a nice episode. Serena got a lot of focus and she worked well with the group's chemistry already. While I won't mind seeing another Rhyhorn Race episode at some point, I don't think it'd work as a goal, especially since she wouldn't be able to use to use her other Pokemon. Besides, I think Serena trying to find a goal is far more interesting than having a already-decided goal. It could result in some personal development for her as she searches for a suitable goal for herself.

The english dub did a decent job with the script and voice acting, but as usual they ruined the BGM. Why did TPCI replace the beautiful Laverre City theme with their crappy dub music? For goodness' sake, TPCI needs to realize that the japanese music is way better than their terrible dub music. Keeping just 3 pieces (Title Card theme, Team Rocket motto music, Kalos trainer battle theme) of original BGM is pathetic! And the BGM isn't the only thing that TPCI messed up in this episode.... They messed up the title screen as well! The title card was supposed to have Serena's face, but the English version changed it to Ash's face! What's up with that?

Last edited:
Alright, I've watched the English dub of this episode, and I have to say they did a good job with the English script. Most of the dialouges are the same as original, which is great. The flashback was hanldled well in the dub, but it would have been better if Ash said "Pain, pain, go away" instead of "feel better, feel better, very soon". Overall, the english dub did a good job with the script and voice acting, but as usual, they messed up the BGM again! Why did TPCI replace the beautiful Laverre City theme with their crappy dub music? Seriously, TPCI needs to realize that the japanese music is way better than their lame dub music.

Edit: the BGM isn't the only thing that TPCI messed up in this episode.... They messed up the title screen as well! The title screen was supposed to feature on Serena, but the English dub changed it to Ash! Geez, I hope they won't do this again.

Jezz, stop calling the music crappy, it's not like the game's music is only thing good. Doon't have such a bias iopinion over the music, it's not that good (XY soundtrack that is)

And the episode was more about Ash anyway, to this day, why was Serena's face there in the first place.

NPT

Just a member
Jezz, stop calling the music crappy, it's not like the game's music is only thing good.

Crappy BGM is crappy, and it's nowhere near the quality of the original BGM. The game/movie music IS always better than the childish music they use in the dub. The japanese music nicely portrayed the emotion in the episode, but the dub music ruined it! Because of the music replacement, the flashback scene wasn't as good as the japanese version.

Doon't have such a bias iopinion over the music, it's not that good (XY soundtrack that is)

Oh yeah? But you have a 'bias' opinion about the dub music too, don't you? Obviosly you don't care if the dub decides to change all of the original music with their lame dub music.

And the episode was more about Ash anyway, to this day, why was Serena's face there in the first place.

So an episode where Serena gets character development... is suddenly an Ash-focused episode? No matter what you think, this episode is about SERENA!

You are making such stupid claims because because you want to support the dub's decison, right?

Last edited:

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Being one of my favorite episodes of the XY saga so far, I decided to watch this episode. Serena's voice is starting to get very high pitched in certain scenes, but overall it's still good. I will admit I liked the Japanese original of Serena's backstory better then the dub. Could be because of the Laverre City music. I now associate that music with little Serena almost as much as I do it's Disney/Wonderland feel. So for it not to be in the flashback was disappointing. Other then that, the episode was more or less the same to me. What I liked about the episode was still here and what I didn't like about the episode was still here.

To PokemontrainerY, I remember watching the dub episode and thinking "Wasn't Serena's face suppose to in the title screen?" It has been awhile since I saw this episode so I didn't remember if her face was in the title or not. It sucks they changed it. Thanks TPCI :(

One final thing though. I am starting to warm up to Clemont's dub voice. It's not perfect but it's growing on me the more I hear it. I was afraid I wouldn't grow to like it, but it seems I was wrong there :)

Crappy music is crappy, although it's a matter of opinion. And yes, the game music and movie music IS way better than the music they use in the dub.

Oh yeah? But you have a 'bias' opinion over the dub music too, don't you?

So an episode where Serena gets some character development... is suddenly an Ash-focused episode? Believe it or not, most of the episode is about SERENA! you just don't want admit it because you want to support the dub's decison, right?

No, I like both version's music, you're the one being bias thinking the original music is way better. And why are you forcing words in my mouth? Yes we learned about Serena and she had or debatable development, but any 'development' could just look like forced amourshipping. This episode was more on him than Serena.

Last edited:
One final thing though. I am starting to warm up to Clemont's dub voice. It's not perfect but it's growing on me the more I hear it. I was afraid I wouldn't grow to like it, but it seems I was wrong there :)

IMO, Clemont's dub voice is decent (sometime it's off and sounds too old, while other times it's on and sounds good), Serena's is good (you're right on her pitch going too high sometimes, even though overall it is actually age appropriate, and she actually does put proper emotion into her performance-- that's great) but Bonnie's is just plain horrible, IMO: it's been quite a few episodes, and I still can't stand the latter at all-- I may not like even like her as a character, but at least the seiyu for Eureka isn't grating on the ears like Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld is, IMO: I literally can't stand listening to Bonnie in the English dub. *sighs*

Last edited:

NPT

Just a member
To PokemontrainerY, I remember watching the dub episode and thinking "Wasn't Serena's face suppose to in the title screen?" It has been awhile since I saw this episode so I didn't remember if her face was in the title or not. It sucks they changed it. Thanks TPCI :(

IKR? :/

I think TPCI is reusing the same title screen footage in every dubbed episode.

Yeah, Clemont's voice actor is doing a good job portraying the character. It was cool when he said "For Future of Science" before smashing the controller.

No, I like both version's music, you're the one being bias thinking the original music is way better. And why are you forcing words in my mouth?

Well, yeah. I thought you have a bias over the dub music, because you're jumping at everyone who's talks anything bad about the dub music.

Yes we learned about Serena and she had or debatable development, but any 'development' could just look like forced amourshipping. This episode was more on him than Serna.

Serena's character development could look like forced Amourshipping? So, Serena realizing her misconception about Rhyhorn Racing is forced Amourshipping too, right? Lol! by that logic, any interaction between Ash and Serena is 'forced Amourshipping' to you.

No matter what you think, this is an episode focused on SERENA, not Ash.

Last edited:

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
for those who were saying that serena's face was not seen on the title screen maybe the dubbers didn't matter about the title screen itself, all that matters to them maybe are the dialogue for that particular episode.

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
I highly doubt Ash's face being on the title card instead of Serena's was a dub change. It was most likely what TPCI were given to work on.

kosthedin

@raigeki33 @Raptor_Crow I would love to know where you two got that information, because that makes no freaking sense whatsoever and you both probably pulled that out of your asses.

If we take a nice trip down memory lane, we would see that numerous seasons like in Johto, Sinnoh, and especially Hoenn, had event changing title cards. For all three, they had title cards that reflected the badges Ash had earned and the ribbons May/Dawn earned. Hoenn also had a title card that showed their exact location in the Hoenn region for a while. Not once, not one single time did 4Kids or TPCi change or alter any of these title cards that reflected these badge/ribbon reminders (Except for the obvious translation of words).

So where the ever living hell did you two suddenly come up with this idea that TPCi simply did not receive these ever changing title cards? They obviously did when they were dubbing DP, so it's not like they've never been introduced to them before. It's glaringly obvious that this was a decision made by TPCi and not a matter of what they had to work with. They CHOSE to replace the title card, God knows why, but they did.

So don't excuse them when you don't have a bloody clue what you're claiming.

THANK YOU

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
@raigeki33 @Raptor_Crow I would love to know where you two got that information, because that makes no freaking sense whatsoever and you both probably pulled that out of your asses.

If we take a nice trip down memory lane, we would see that numerous seasons like in Johto, Sinnoh, and especially Hoenn, had event changing title cards. For all three, they had title cards that reflected the badges Ash had earned and the ribbons May/Dawn earned. Hoenn also had a title card that showed their exact location in the Hoenn region for a while. Not once, not one single time did 4Kids or TPCi change or alter any of these title cards that reflected these badge/ribbon reminders (Except for the obvious translation of words).

So where the ever living hell did you two suddenly come up with this idea that TPCi simply did not receive these ever changing title cards? They obviously did when they were dubbing DP, so it's not like they've never been introduced to them before. It's glaringly obvious that this was a decision made by TPCi and not a matter of what they had to work with. They CHOSE to replace the title card, God knows why, but they did.

So don't excuse them when you don't have a bloody clue what you're claiming.

THANK YOU

did u really try to watch the episode, it was clearly ash in the title screen (very clear as i can say - unless you're mistaking ash as serena)

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I highly doubt Ash's face being on the title card instead of Serena's was a dub change. It was most likely what TPCI were given to work on.

Well, I guess we won't find out until the Clemont episode

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
How do you know they didn't, kosthedin? And you shouldn't attack other people if you think they're wrong when that person wasn't even being rude.

I'm being a bit snarky there now because of your attitude, but in my previous post I was saying why I thought what it was in a nice and normal way.

Last edited:

kosthedin

did u really try to watch the episode, it was clearly ash in the title screen (very clear as i can say - unless you're mistaking ash as serena)
And obviously you can't read to save your life. I know Ash was in the title card, but what I'm saying is that it was a edit TPCi chose to make and it wasn't simply a matter of them not having the title card with Serena in it. The producers in Japan send TPCi all their source material, so they have everything to work with. So stop saying otherwise because it's obviously clear you don't know how TPCi produces the episodes.

How do you know they didn't, kosthedin? And you shouldn't attack other people if you think they're wrong when that person wasn't even being rude.
The problem with this post is that you both ARE wrong. The producers in Japan send TPCi all their source material, so they have everything to work with. And I hate seeing people pull stupid facts like the ones you said out of your asses and fooling readers who don't know any better.

Next time, both of you do your research.

Last edited:

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
I repeat; you can disagree without the rudeness. TPCI would not use the Ash title card for no reason, there's only two reasons as to why they did:

1. The episode was created with the Ash title card first but later got changed into the Serena one, before the latter happened TPCI were already given the episode with the former card. Or 2. when TPCI were given the episode to work on the title card was missing, similar to how the "To be continued..." text was missing from one episode (perhaps due to an error) so TPCI had to use the Ash one from a different episode with the text changed to the title for this episode. Also I already know Japan sends TPCI all of their source, I have known about that fact for a very long time.

Anyway.... Clemont pushing himself to run, jump and smash the remote was the best part of this episode, I don't care about Serena's Ash feelings.

kosthedin

1. The episode was created with the Ash title card first but later got changed into the Serena one, before the latter happened TPCI were already given the episode with the former card.
Once again, stop making **** up. There is no reason to even assume it had Ash on the title card to begin with and then got changed to Serena. It aired in Japan with Serena on it, meaning TPCi got the exact same thing. So unless you can prove this happened, don't make assumptions based on what I consider irrelevant BS.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Once again, stop making **** up. There is no reason to even assume it had Ash on the title card to begin with and then got changed to Serena. It aired in Japan with Serena on it, meaning TPCi got the exact same thing. So unless you can prove this happened, don't make assumptions based on what I consider irrelevant BS.
Dude. Calm down its a title card FFS. Its not that big a deal.