• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Giving Genders to Pokemon

Ash_Junior

Irredeemable Nerd
pokeplayer984 said:
As anyone who reads my fics know, they all contain romance, and it goes too far. Of course, anyone here knows what happens when romance goes too far, right? In that sense, gender is VERY important.

I've always imagined Mewtwo being a he. With the voice and everything, it would just be a sin to make Mewtwo a she. *shudders at the thought.*

I've always had Mew as a she. (Works well with the Mewtwo&Mew ship.) Celebi a he. Ho-oh a he. Raikou a he. Entei a he. Suicune a she. Deoxys a he. Jirachi a he. (I think that's about it for legendaries.)

With my stories, it just wouldn't make sense if they didn't have a gender. :)

*is inspired to write a oneshot with a female Mewtwo*

you know, that would actually explain a LOT of the mood swings....

:p

Fatal

Banned
Dilasc said:
I always give genders. It just makes them... well, Pokemon. After all, it helps definte personalities, and grants an important aspect of breeding and the fun of having Pokemon with awkward moves, such as Rattata with Flame Wheel.

The only Pokemon that I don't give genders to, other than genderless beasts, are legendaries.

I give genders to all Pokemon, even most legendaries.

For example, I think Zapdos, Articuno, Entei, Raikou, Lugia, Mewtwo, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza and Jirachi are male. And Articuno, Suicune, Ho-oh, Celebi and Mew are female.

As for Deoxys and the Regi's, I don't see them as having a gender, because they look like robots.

T

TOY MACHINE

i dont stress the genders i just mention it here or there

Ryano Ra

Verdant Vitality
I always give Pokemon genders.

After all, obviously, they have female Pokemon and male Pokemon in the same race in the Pokemon Games, like, um, all of them. o.o Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to reproduce, since "its" are just...bleh. Anyways, I always give Pokemon genders, even the genderless kind (like Metagross, Electrode, and Solrock), but I make distinguishing facts to selectively split the two. For example, a female Dodrio may have more soothing, higher-pitch caws while a male Dodrio has a dark, firm chirp that echoes painfully through castle walls. 8D

lilbluecorsola

Binky-boo! <3
Yeah, I usually give Pokémon genders too, unless for some reason I decide not to. =P I like to give Legendaries genders too except for a select few.

Kiyohime

I always tend to think of all Fire legendaries as masculine (Ho-oh, Entei, Moltres, Groudon) and Water/Ice/Flying as female (Kyogre, Articuno, Suicune, Lugia).

I've also always thought of Rayquaza and Celebi as female. ;P

Dilasc

Boip!
I keep my legendaries genderless, and it becomes the butt (pun somewhat intended) of plenty of good jokes.

Seriously, they are genderless, but it may not be uncommon for, oh say Moltres to call Zapdos a 'brother'... or an idiot, or both.

This isn't really that much of a problem for me, seeing as my Fic stars the Genderless Regi's. AAMOF, [SPOIL]the Regi's lack of Gender plays an interesting part later on[/SPOIL](kind of funny how I actually have to Spoil stuff now, because a lot of people actually READ my Fic, as opposed to that travesty of a FanFiction I wrote earlier, where I could Spoil the entire story in one post and none of my readers would notice:rolleyes: ).

Picking Genders for humans is more important to me. Personally, I prefer using girls, because it's more believable to have a multi-faceted female than a multi-faceted male. Girls are also a lot calmer and level-headed, generally speaking, but that's not the point of this topic, so I'll shut up now ;D.

I don't really pay that close attention to Genders when it's minor Pokémon I'm dealing with. I'll generally just make them male because I am, in fact, a guy *collective gasp*. Plus, vicious, blood-thirsty monsters with long claws/teeth/other lethal body parts don't generally come across as Female.

But when it comes to constantly appearing Pokémon, I'll choose more carefully, and choose a Gender more fit to a specific personality.

For instance, Flannery's Charizard is a gentle, cooperative partner to Flannery, so Female is more believable.

The infant Shellder that belongs to Pryce, thus far, hasn't been given a Gender, and I'd like to keep it that way for the time being. As its personality develops more, a Gender should become apparent.

Pryce's Piloswine, however, seems like such a masculine Pokémon, and thus, I have portrayed it that way.

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

Kiyohime

Plus, vicious, blood-thirsty monsters with long claws/teeth/other lethal body parts don't generally come across as Female.

*COUGHCOUGHNIDORANNIDORINANIDOQUEENKANGASHKANCOUGH*

Dragonfree

Just me
Plus, vicious, blood-thirsty monsters with long claws/teeth/other lethal body parts don't generally come across as Female.
Well, they must breed somehow. :p

But really, you're being kinda sexist. In my fic, the most ruthless, violent, mean and insensitive character is female, and what's more is that she was based on me back in the day. (Later I evolved to be nicer, though, and she was always a little bit exaggerated as in always being like me in a particularly bad mood, so don't worry.)

Kiyohime

Exactly. I mean, in my upcoming story I'm making my blind Kabutops character a FEMALE...and I'm making my Machoke character female, too. XD Those are both considered very "masculine" Pokemon. Hell, even the Machamp in my current story, Sin, are female. XD I just find there always seems to be so many male Pokemon, it's fun to bend conventions a little.

Ryano Ra

Verdant Vitality
Agreed, Dragonfree. Being sexist isn't good in the world of literature, and in the world itself. >>;; I won't let it come across me.

I tend to make the good Pokemon male and the bad Pokemon female. For instance, in an upcoming fanfiction I'm creating, a clan of female Chansey arrive and begin egg-bombing a city, exploding it into beautiful pink flames. Then there are female Sandslash clans, female Golem tribes, and everything. I try to twist around reality and make it into my own, so yes, there can be bloodthirsty Nidoqueen and poison-licking Nidorina.

Dragonfree

Just me
Well, you can't really just switch them around, either. Because of my way of character creation (character just pops up in my head complete with looks, name, personality, background...) they turn out pretty randomly male and female, although Mark's Pokémon tend to be male (currently he has seven and six of them are male, although May [not the animé one] has six of which three are female and Alan has four females on his team). So yeah... I do have a bit more males than females, but there's not much stereotypical about either. Most prominent features in a character commonly associated with one sex are May's, and they're more male.

No, I didn't mean that I don't use female because I think of Pokémon as manly. Male is just my default gender, for some stupid reason. It's rather the same in the forums; I see a lot more people mistaking girls for boys then boys for girls. I actually do like writing with girls a lot more, like I said, because they're more complex in general. It's just in short, meaningless battles where it doesn't matter what the gender of the Pokémon is that I'll just dish out Males. I'm just quirky like that ¬_¬

On the other hand, I never give out Genders to my Genderless Pokémon. They're Genderless for a reason. It is rather annoying having to write 'it' all the time, especially as some of their personalities just give off the feeling of a certain Gender. Registeel's cold, sarcastic wit makes it seem quite feminine, while Regice's bouncy, happy nature seems a bit masculine(though it could work as a female, too). Regirock is somewhere in between, its gentle, compassionate yet fierce personality both feminine and masculine. Now I think of it, either Gender would work for any of the three o_0

I don't intend to be sexit in my Fics, even if I come across as sexist. I try to create and even balance between male and female, giving both sides their strengths and weaknesses. If I ever seem to write a Chapter predominantly male or female, it's because the next one will be the opposite, giving the other Gender the limelight.

.....For some reason, I feel like I'm digging myself into a deeper hole with every letter I type ._.

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

L

Lord Nidokingu

Serpent Syra said:
So yes, there can be bloodthirsty Nidoqueen and poison-licking Nidorina.

*is upset now* Poor Nidos... ._.

But yeah, I definitely feel gender is an extremely important element in fics. I would never have it any other way.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
When I was writing stories for Oddishgrove, my character's female Ninetales was his most merciless Pokemon. She enjoyed making her opponent suffer and toying with them. Though, I went more off of her fox and demon like nature than her gender. So I can see females being even more ruthless than their male counterparts.

Ryano Ra

Verdant Vitality
Dragonfree said:
Well, you can't really just switch them around, either. Because of my way of character creation (character just pops up in my head complete with looks, name, personality, background...) they turn out pretty randomly male and female, although Mark's Pokémon tend to be male (currently he has seven and six of them are male, although May [not the animé one] has six of which three are female and Alan has four females on his team). So yeah... I do have a bit more males than females, but there's not much stereotypical about either. Most prominent features in a character commonly associated with one sex are May's, and they're more male.
Actually, I pretty much could. o.o I've done so already, plus, what's wrong with doing so? It's twisting around reality to sculpture it around your story. ><!

I make certain Pokemon male and certain female. I just find that people tend to make female Pokemon more calm, so I switch it in my fanfiction to come at a more different approach than typical ones. You'd be surprised if you read about female Muk sucking people into their large mouths, draining their bodies into sludge and immediately poisoning them, coughing up rotting wax and corpses minutes later, no? Most would expect male Muk to be that, which I can understand, but I approach reality differently for my story. Perhaps that gives my uniqueness. 8D However, male Pokemon are more mysterious, more calmer, yet get more angrier than female Pokemon. Female Pokemon just react faster in my story without thinking and they go crazy, egg-bombing buildings and exploding them into beautiful pink fire, or finding female Igglybuff hyptonizing people from tropical trees as they swing wildly from vines. 8D

Dilasc

Boip!
In my story, a few specific things stand out, genderwise. Mainly, the Spinarak owned by Phillip is male, and he has the hormones of a rabbit! Heck, he's so hormonal that he does anything that walks on 6 legs, and is female. Then he usually kills and eats them because it's a bug eat bug world. Of course, it's never one of his own species that he mated with while in the wild, because that would mean death, as it often does to spiders in the real world.

This all changes when he is caught by Phillip. Now he is more timid, and at the mercy of a disgruntled human who gets dangerous when angry. Now the spider is simply hoping to survive, and appease its trainer in order to avoid abuse.

Another character of interest is the Rattata who was met in his first person interlude. He is also male, but he is not a walking sex machine of a rat. Instead, he is a father out for vengeance against a Houndoom, who just so happened to bne the source of his flame wheel capabilities, making the Houndoom his father... it's really complicated to explain unless you read it yourself if you wish to understand it a bit better.

Case in point, gender shouldn't ever be considered a stereotype of one specific thing. Not all males are manly pokemon, and not all females are effeminate Pokemon. There is a huge medium that is of course in between, and of course, the middle ground.

Last edited:

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Well, IMO, giving Pokemon genders is just sort of...duh. Really, why would you not??? I even gave genders to Legendaries, except the Regis because, try as I did, I really just couldn't figure out which to make them. oO; As far as Legendaries go, because they don't breed, the *cough* differences between gender wouldn't be linked to reproduction, but rather subtle differences in structure, voice and, sometimes personality, although I hate stereotyping personalities with gender (ie: rough and tough = male, sweet and gentle = female >>)

The Legendaries in my fic are:
Male: Zapdos, Mewtwo, Raikou, Entei, Ho-oh, Latios(duh), Kyogre, Jirachi, Deoxys, Rukario
Female: Articuno, Moltres, Suicune, Lugia, Celebi, Latias(duh), Groudon, Rayquaza

I like making dragons female. ^^; Also, a lot of the fire types strike me as female, I dunno why. As far as team for my trainers go, I try to stay even, 3 male, 3 female, althrough the main character has 4 male, 2 female, and another character has 4 female, 2 male. I think we all agree that giving male trainers all male Pokemon and female trainers all female is the dumbest thing in the world (unless, of course, the trainer specifically wanted to capture Pokemon of their same gender, by why would they do that? oO')

~Chibi~;249;<?>;rukario;

Last edited:
Z

Zita

I was mentally giving genders before G/S! It alarmed me to find out my Charizard was female, but it made an interesting idea. (Heck, I later learned that more Charmanders are likely to be female than male)
Referring to Poke'mon as "its" seems rather demeaning. It feels less like they're a character and more of an object. I'm writing a novel involving a robot right now and I often refer to it as a him to give the poor critter a little more sense of depth. ;)