1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Gladion & Silvally! The Confinement Mask!! (990)

Discussion in 'Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon - Ultra Adventures' started by Serebii, Oct 26, 2017.

1. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

I suppose we've at least reached a point in the series where Ash is at least remarkable enough to justify it. He and Pikachu are extremely experienced now and have saved the world outright countless times, so their excess Z Power and being called to by legendaries makes some degree of sense since they've already proved how reliable they are.

2. nuzamaki90

nuzamaki90 Well-Known Member

A pretty good episode, probably one of the best only because it literally had the best battle in the saga so far. It actually felt engaging and although this time I actually wanted it too, it didn’t end in someone using a Z-Move! Just good ole hack and slash.

Lilie being attacked by Nihilego was something I know everyone expected, but the flashback itself still made me go holy ****! It happened so suddenly and was legit pretty freaky.

I still don’t like the fact that Ash and Gladion don’t really act like rivals but more of “yo you’re my best friend so watch my sister while I’m gone” relationship. I’m definitely looking forward to their full battle in the future.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  3. 345ash-greninja

345ash-greninja Knucklehead Ninja

It's remains to be seen how powerful Silvally is compared to Type:Null. You don't exactly know how it will be in the anime.

Dusk Lycanrock was thrown away right into the water......

Type:Null never looked like it never felt much damage from Lycanroc's attacks, so no, it wasn't pushed much. It was definitely a decisive win for Type:Null.

4. Lucario At Service

Lucario At Service Calm Trainer

Just read its background info.

As for the name, its original name is "Type: Full" (when it doesn't have the control mask on), while with the control mask its called "Type: Null".

And "Silvally" is actually a name given to it by Gladion in the games.

Well, the mask does restrict its power somewhat, so yeah it would get more powerful once the mask is removed.

Since the animators usually like to showcase fast pokemons in the anime, my guess is that they would make it super fast without its mask on. As for power, it would be increased somewhat as well.

Though i think even in this situation both it and Dusk Lycanroc would be shown almost equal, because of the fact that Dusk Lycanroc is more unique and is sort of like Ash-Greninja of the SM Saga.

Most likely Dusk Lycanroc would be the main Ace against the UB's from Ash's team, while Type: Null/Silvally would be the main from Gladion's team.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  5. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

The level gap between Silvally and Lycanroc seems fair given we're still early into the series (and Lycanroc's tenure) while Silvally was created to be the 'anti Ultra Beast' and has Legendary status. Much like Turtonator getting in some good hits but ultimately being no match for Mega Steelix, this seems the realistic road. Showing the protagonist's Pokemon is getting strong but still in early stages of it's training. It'd be cheaper if Lycanroc evolved and could suddenly smash through anything in sight. Ash has trained and worked to make it strong.

I feel like Lycanroc is a refinement and at times even a reversal of Ash-Greninja. Greninja had good display and training, but ultimately relied on two DEM evolutions and a totally unique ability to make it's character and progression hold.

Lycanroc, despite being an elusive form of a mystical species of Pokemon, is practically one of the guys and has had to train and work for nearly all of it's boosts. Even it's unique evolution has some in-plot reason other than being 'special'. The focus is still on it's character and Ash's bond and raising of it instead of this totally unique element it has.

6. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

I am pretty sure that has to do with that being KL final, since ash cannot win the big one so they were forced to let alain beat him at last. Had it be in the SF stage ash would have definitely won the match.

As for the nihilego stuff that means it will have an actual role in the AF arc which is fine. By the way didn't rage lycannroc thing looked similar to blaze infernape going berserk. Another example of SM being DP 2.0.

7. 345ash-greninja

I know that, but who knows Gladion might also appear in a final to stop Ash(maybe in the League equivalent).

It's not that Dusk Lycanroc gets way more powerful in rage like Blaze Infernape, so I don't think they are exactly similar.

8. ash&charizardfan

The only issue I have with this episode was the source of DL rage, it got dirty so it became enraged. Seriously what kind of logic is that.

9. Frozocrone

Frozocrone Miraculous!

Didn't mind the whole 'dodge and attack stuff' that much since Type: Null used Swords Dance and heaven forbid you be on the end of that.

The main point was Ash being a ****ing loser and the context/development of the plot.

I enjoyed it. Even the funny moments. Now I'm wondering what Faba has to do with the memories and what those memories actually were.

10. 345ash-greninja

Simple. It really cares about keeping its mane/fur clean.

11. ash&charizardfan

I just realised that this is probalbly the episode with lowest number of human characters present for any episode (non flashback) in anime's history. Only 3 were there.

12. Akkipeddi

Akkipeddi Gold Experience

Yeah, but that's a really lame reason. It's not like Lycanroc is performing or in contests where it needs to be clean and in top condition appearance wise. This feels like Fennekin's issue, and even then, she got over it in the same episode. I'm seriously hoping that getting dirty is not the main reason for future cases of Lycanroc getting enraged.

13. Frozocrone

Frozocrone Miraculous!

Maybe Ash's Lycanroc is female?

and yeah that stereotypes females as 'not wanting to get dirty' I apologise. But it predominately seems more like a female thing rather than male

14. 345ash-greninja

Pretty much this. Dusk Lycanroc's personality is actually quite unique, it tends to have the brave/cool personality of Ash's aces, and on the other hand it also has feminine traits like getting upset when it gets dirty.

And Frozocone, which one of Ash's aces has been female so far? Generally all of Ash's aces tend to have a masculine personality just like Ash.

15. Frozocrone

Frozocrone Miraculous!

Why, that be Dusk Lycanroc ofc

16. ash&charizardfan

After all this time everyone was hoping litten to be female but if it turns out that lycannroc is a female what an irony that will be.

17. 345ash-greninja

While SM is tending to break a lot of trends, and Dusk Lycanroc is a quadripedal ace compared to Ash's other bipedal aces, I doubt that they will break this trend. Because Ash's aces in the end more of less inherit Ash's personality, which probably won't suit a female.

18. Mia Blaze

Mia Blaze I'mma gonna Deku in the face, Kacchan

Just thought I'd mention, someone has brightened up the flashback and it seems Faba was there when Lillie was attacked.

I'm starting to get why he doesn't want her to remember what happened.

19. mystic9899

mystic9899 Pokemon fan

20. noakai

noakai Well-Known Member

I really enjoy how much Lycanroc is still like Rockruff - he made the same ashamed/sorry expressions after he bit Rowlet that he did in this episode after his rage fit. I actually just really like its personality in general, it's a fun Pokemon. It does spend a lot of time in the ball but when it's out, it's always a treat for me. The battle was okay - I didn't mind the rage fit but it's kinda tiring having every battle stopped for at least a little while so things can happen. At least it's plot things related to Pokemon usually but still. Hopefully nearer the end that will stop happening and it'll just be battles.

I guess since Type:Null is just Silvally with a mask on, Gladion's going to use that name since he gave it to it instead of Type:Null. I still think his battle poses are OTT but I do like that although Gladion's design is edgy, he himself really isn't.

It was really dialogue heavy so I'm excited to wait for subs.