• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gladion & Silvally! The Confinement Mask!! (990)

Leonhart

Imagineer
And so we finally discovered exactly why Lilie became fearful of Pokemon due to some trauma involving Uturoid. I liked Satoshi versus Gladio in the beginning, although I wasn't a fan of the way that Satoshi's Lugarugan lost control and essentially brought his defeat at the hands of Gladio's Type: Null on himself by going berserk.

Ultra Beast Lover

Ash is pretty special, has fought with nearly every existing legendary for one. In fact it's a bit disappointing they never fully address it because seeing Ho-Oh was the kick starter for Ash being special, that whole Aura scenario in the movie with Lucario etc. Ash is the GOAT even if they have him be a clown in the league.

You know what I find disappointing? The fact that they never bring up how many times Ash saved the world. You wanna know why he's so special Gladion? It's because he's saved the world/a region at least six times yes I'm counting Silver's mom no I'm not counting movies sadly. So Nebby's parents were like, "He's saved the world a lot, let's give him a child!"

Rajas

You know what I find disappointing? The fact that they never bring up how many times Ash saved the world. You wanna know why he's so special Gladion? It's because he's saved the world/a region at least six times yes I'm counting Silver's mom no I'm not counting movies sadly. So Nebby's parents were like, "He's saved the world a lot, let's give him a child!"

Even if not all of his heroics were broadcasted worldwide, some of them definitely were and since the movies are canon there's a **** ton of towns in regions all over which he has saved as well. I agree with you that I would like it addressed at times just for a callback to show he's the hero everyone thinks he is.

Ultra Beast Lover

Even if not all of his heroics were broadcasted worldwide, some of them definitely were and since the movies are canon there's a **** ton of towns in regions all over which he has saved as well. I agree with you that I would like it addressed at times just for a callback to show he's the hero everyone thinks he is.

Just a simple, "Oh hey you're Ash right?" From someone would be nice, but I guess I'll accept heavy implications that him doing all this stuff made Solgaleo and Lunala decide to give Nebby to Ash

Rajas

Just a simple, "Oh hey you're Ash right?" From someone would be nice, but I guess I'll accept heavy implications that him doing all this stuff made Solgaleo and Lunala decide to give Nebby to Ash

Exactly, this will tie into being the chosen one by Tapu Koko anyways.

Sulfurian

I'm a little critical of that battle honestly. Yes gladion is a very capable trainer but I didn't expect type null to move that fast. You could say he trained him in speed, but I expect null to be too slow to dodge the quick lycanroc, or even have enough speed to counter attack. Also, why is lycanroc suddenly losing control when it's midnight personality comes out? Midnight are shown to be just as calm and collected as the other form. Unless somehow it was the trait carried over from being rockruff around olivia's trial I don't quite get that.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
how fast will silvally be, if it's so fast with the helmet on?

Genaller

Silver Soul
how fast will silvally be, if it's so fast with the helmet on?

I know right; that was exactly what I was thinking as well. They might; however, just give unmasked Silvally a General “stat” boost rather than a spocfc massive speed amp like the games do.

Rajas

I know right; that was exactly what I was thinking as well. They might; however, just give unmasked Silvally a General “stat” boost rather than a spocfc massive speed amp like the games do.

Am I the only one getting the feeling that this is already setting up a potential loss at the Alola league IF it does happen? Knowing Ash he'd use Lycanroc vs Silvally now throughout the series which if that happens I'd be disappointed.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Am I the only one getting the feeling that this is already setting up a potential loss at the Alola league IF it does happen? Knowing Ash he'd use Lycanroc vs Silvally now throughout the series which if that happens I'd be disappointed.

Gladion suffers from "in-game rival in the anime" syndrome.

Unless Gladion was a constant torn to Ash since childhood, he will not last for too long. That is to say, if Hau or more rivals aren't introduced for fodder material.

He also needs to get a full team ready. Not even Kiawe has a full team, and his Grandpa Charizard is supposed to be only for rides (at the moment).

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
So I watched this episode again and I didn’t really care for it much. I found it to be rather boring until Ash and Gladion battled.

Dang, Ash’s Lycanroc is worse than Serena’s Braxien ever was when it comes to getting dirty. I swear, I thought at times that Lycanroc was going to attack Ash during the battle with Type:Null.

Nebby, seriously? You couldn’t even teleport Ash, Lycanroc, and Pikachu so they when they landed, they would be on the ground? You jusy had to make it so they would land on a horde of Pinsir? You are the ultimate troll. Really, Nebby?

Lillie’s fear of touching Pokemon was caused by Nihilego and Type:Null. That kind of came out of nowhere. Looking forward to learning more about that, especially about Faba’s involvment since last episode made him seem really sketch.

Lastly, that battle between Ash’s Lycanroc and Type:Null was pretty intense. I believe this is the first time Ash has lost a battle against another trainer, am I right? He didn’t have a chance. As soon as Gladion set up that second Swords Dance, I knew that was it. Gladion was going to win. But it was still a good battle, IMO.

I give this episode a 5/10. It was rather slow in the beginning but then it started picking up and I was pleaded with it.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Not really sure why my previous post here was taken away...

I liked this episode and listening closely you could kind of make out Silvally saying its name really echo-ey and distorted, but it was there.
Gladion lampshading Ash being the protagonist and getting all the special stuff that comes with it was hilarious. And it seems he wants to use Type:Null to destroy UBs, including Nebby. Lycanroc seems to have quite the issues with its fur getting dirty. We don't have confirmation of its gender that I can remember, unless the special one is going to be male. And it's especially nice it still has a lot of its Rockruff personality, like real dogs do when they turn from puppies to adults.

Genaller

Silver Soul
I believe this is the first time Ash has lost a battle against another trainer, am I right?

He also lost against Lillie’s butler in SM 8, but yeah including Totem and Totem related battles Ash currently has an 8-2 battle record (with an 8 battle win streak prior to this episode) which is pretty awesome.

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
Well, I watched the episode. Aside from the obvious bizarre stuff about Lycanroc freaking out over getting messy, I had fun with it. I love how animated Lycanroc is with all his facial expressions. And Gladion's over-the-top posing is always entertaining, especially when he's saying serious things like how he'll get strong enough to vanquish all the Ultra Beasts. Can't take the guy seriously. But I look forward to seeing the upcoming episodes with Lillie.

I keep seeing people saying the rivalry with Gladion will go nowhere because he's the in-game rival in the anime, but isn't it possible that SM may decide to not give Ash an anime-exclusive rival? I mean, they're clearly going out of their way to break some of the usual stuff they always do...

SinnohEevee

We can say Ash is special for always saving the world, but why does he meet all the Legendaries? Is it because he's special?

KurashiDragon

Well-known Dragonite Enthusiast
Power Points of the episode:

I really like Ash's alola team. They really are essentially the pokemon version of their respective animals. I loved how Lycanroc chaces Litten around. Good slapstick.

If there's one thing I really dont like that Pokemon does, it's that it introduces plot points in the episode in which they're the most relevant. It's a bit weird to explain. Why wasn't Lycanroc's issue with getting its mane dirty introduced a bit earlier. Like in a random filler episode. It seems like such meaningless thing to just throw into such a plot heavy episode. I've noticed that pokemon always does this sort of thing too. -_- At least sun and moon brings it back up sometimes.

Cosmog is such a troll; landing them on top of Pinsers like that. Lols were had.

Gladion, how have you not figured out that Ash is the main character yet? XD in all seriousness though, I actually am curious myself as to why Solgaleo and Lunala choose ash to take care of Cosmog. I get the feeling this question is never gonna be answered though so I'm just gonna have to take that answer I gave above as gospel. -_-

Detective Rotom: KILL IT WITH FIRE! Seriously, it wasted like 30 seconds. I've never wanted to strangle something so badly.

I don't know why Type: Null / Silvally's animation for Swords Dance bothered me so much but it really freakin urks me. -_- When they showed it the second time, I kinda just hated everything and wasn't really sure why.

The battle itself was very eh. One of my thoughts about ash as the battle was going on was, "Why aren't you using any strategy in this battle? You said you wanted Gladion to understand the kind of person you are through the battle so why are you not taking this a bit more seriously?" -_-

I'm not gonna lie, I gave a few more claps to the story when I thought about this episode a bit more. They needed to show that Lycanroc still needed some growing, how Strong Type: Null / Sylvally was, and tell the story all in one. Having that interuption with Lycanroc's mane was probably the best was of getting all those points done easily cause lets face it. If the battle hadn't been stopped, Lycanroc probably would've been smacked down with Gladion looking particularly unimpressed and annoyed with ash for wasting 10 seconds of his life :p. I don't think it landed a solid hit once that entire battle.

I have many more things to say but I'll just leave it at that for now. Don't wanna spend all day on this. Overall, the episode ranges from pretty good to "Freakin Rotom Dex -_-"

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
He also lost against Lillie’s butler in SM 8, but yeah including Totem and Totem related battles Ash currently has an 8-2 battle record (with an 8 battle win streak prior to this episode) which is pretty awesome.

Don't forget the TR defeat

The story in Sun and Moon is now start become interesting. It blend interesting part little by little within filler episode. This episode is one of the best so far with an interesting Pokemon battle. Let see what will happen in the next episode as watching preview episode is not enough. Fyi, Sword Dance animation in this episode is freaking sick. :)

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Don't forget the TR defeat

Technially it wasn't a defeat, because his Pokemon didn't faint. But yeah, it was an 'almost defeated' situation.