• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gladion & Silvally! The Confinement Mask!! (990)

Rajas

We can say Ash is special for always saving the world, but why does he meet all the Legendaries? Is it because he's special?

He's technically the chosen one isn't he. He saves the world and yet isn't that great at the same time. All the legendaries either respect him or his bond with his Pokemon.

Sulfurian

This episode really showed how they played down littens character though. It went from this badass lone hero to just "I'm a cat doing cat things" unless it's because it was caught the whole "it's hard to tell littens actual emotions" as mentioned a few times and they played off that

DatsRight

I do like this episode finally played on the whole 'Ash being the chosen one because he's the protagonist' thing, especially Ash's bewildered reaction. He just wants to be a normal trainer.

I like them lamp shading this, it's like they've learned from incidents like XYZ's plot, not trying to make the protagonist special through the plot and narrative making them look so, but just making their own character the more relevant detail. SM Ash has a had hand outs this series, but it's his own personality that makes them work, if anything he works better as an unexpected hero. His elusive Lycanroc and Nebby being 'one of the guys' and having normal silly personalities helps with this too.

noakai

Don't forget the TR defeat

Honestly I know Silvally is gonna be an uphill battle but hopefully one day Pikachu can also manage to take down Mimikyu. Cause mostly it has everyone on the run lol. And imagine if TR got hold of its special Z crystal.

DatsRight

Honestly I know Silvally is gonna be an uphill battle but hopefully one day Pikachu can also manage to take down Mimikyu. Cause mostly it has everyone on the run lol. And imagine if TR got hold of its special Z crystal.

I'm really hoping we get at least one solid TR battle with Mimikyu this series, instead of just either curb stomps or interruptions in the twerps favour whenever TR offer a proper fight.

I remember the same problem occurred in XY, they never really had Ash figure a way to defeat super-boosted Wobbuffet without an interruption of some sort so they just decided to forget about his boost and pretend he didn't exist, because heaven forbid the twerps be made to look like they're struggling and having to use half their brain against the likes of TR.

thor94

Even if not all of his heroics were broadcasted worldwide, some of them definitely were and since the movies are canon there's a **** ton of towns in regions all over which he has saved as well. I agree with you that I would like it addressed at times just for a callback to show he's the hero everyone thinks he is.
mainly, only the two first movies are really anime canon, all other are more like alternate universe story. Otherwise, the pokegroup would remember already seen the local legendaries from the supposed movie instead of acting like it was the first time they meet them (DP and BW series evolved like the movies events never happened, anime ash never remember to have already seen a darkrai, sinnoh dragon or movie yin-yang dragons)

Lastly, that battle between Ash’s Lycanroc and Type:Null was pretty intense. I believe this is the first time Ash has lost a battle against another trainer, am I right? He didn’t have a chance. As soon as Gladion set up that second Swords Dance, I knew that was it. Gladion was going to win. But it was still a good battle, IMO.
but on other side, real trainer VS trainer battles are very rare to almost non existent in SM anime and trial don't really count since for plot reasons ash must win them. So it easy for ash never lose a real battle when they happen so rarely.
somewhat similar to kalos, ash didn't won most of his battle because he wass strong, he won them because his kalos rivals were all noobs new trainers. when experienced trainer showed up (aka alain), it was the downfall for ash.

Whatever, i can't really see how lycanroc could beat unseald silvally in future, if he already has big trouble to even scratch type:null form. lycanroc already evolved, and his rage is not a powerboost like infernape just an "you ruined my fluffy beautiful fur" pissed off girly attitude. Excepted if dusk form hide some special power-up it would be impossible for lycanroc win without stupid inconsistent plot armor (like pikachu defeating serperior in unova league, completely unreallistic)

Rajas

mainly, only the two first movies are really anime canon, all other are more like alternate universe story. Otherwise, the pokegroup would remember already seen the local legendaries from the supposed movie instead of acting like it was the first time they meet them (DP and BW series evolved like the movies events never happened, anime ash never remember to have already seen a darkrai, sinnoh dragon or movie yin-yang dragons)

The movies are confirmed to be canon to the main story though except M20. Ash never really remembers anything in general which is a disappointment but they do take place in between his journeys.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!

but on other side, real trainer VS trainer battles are very rare to almost non existent in SM anime and trial don't really count since for plot reasons ash must win them. So it easy for ash never lose a real battle when they happen so rarely.
somewhat similar to kalos, ash didn't won most of his battle because he wass strong, he won them because his kalos rivals were all noobs new trainers. when experienced trainer showed up (aka alain), it was the downfall for ash.

Whatever, i can't really see how lycanroc could beat unseald silvally in future, if he already has big trouble to even scratch type:null form. lycanroc already evolved, and his rage is not a powerboost like infernape just an "you ruined my fluffy beautiful fur" pissed off girly attitude. Excepted if dusk form hide some special power-up it would be impossible for lycanroc win without stupid inconsistent plot armor (like pikachu defeating serperior in unova league, completely unreallistic)

don't forget that lycanroc's z-crystal is a thing

hottom3rd

7 / 10...
not a bad ep, but some of the parts seemed a bit unorganized. battle was cool, started off stronger than it ended for sure

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Am I the only one getting the feeling that this is already setting up a potential loss at the Alola league IF it does happen? Knowing Ash he'd use Lycanroc vs Silvally now throughout the series which if that happens I'd be disappointed.

No because he always wins against his main rival in the league barring that abomination that took place last saga . Just treat Gladion like another Trip, Paul and Gary

Ultra Beast Lover

I kinda agree with Gladion on this one, Nebby is dangerous. Its adorableness can kill.

In all seriousness that scene with Nihilego grabbing Lillie reminds me of something from another anime...

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
It's not Asuna's levels of random lewdness.

This one was extremely tame.

I don't think a Nihilego is even sentient enough to go to that level.

Having a bunch of venom in your brain making you go nuts... that is the bad part of that scene!

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
I gotta say that a Rock pokemon that goes wild from getting dirty is pretty weird. It seems like an odd personality quirk but I dont have a problem with it. I wonder why Lillies brother did not want anyone to know that Ash saw him training?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
The battle in this episode was pretty good. We also find out part of the backstory of why Lillie became afraid of touching Pokemon.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Still say Lycanroc is going to learn Stomping Tantrum down the road. It'll land a use for the Ground z-crystal.

I really love Gladion's character in the anime, much like Faba. And it was nice to see Ash finally lose, now if only he'd lose an important battle like I don't know.... a grand trial?! Show that the Kahunas are the strongest trainers in Alola, don't let Ash win on the first go.... I hope Nanu kicks his ass first go. The more Nanu, the better.

9/10

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
And there's the famous Lycanroc bath/freakout scene.

"A Lycanroc that likes water even though it's a Rock-type?" says Rotomdex. Sheesh, it isn't like water is acid to a Rock-type.

It's good to see some actual story progress, as we now know that it was by Lillie's own choice that she can't remember why she fears Pokemon.

That was a great battle Ash had with Gladion. Is this the first time Ash has lost a battle in Alola?

This arc's picking up momentum now.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Why is every episode of this arc starting with Lillie writing in her diary lol?

Despite Rotom's making fun of them, I thought Ash's soap foam sculptures were actually good!

Why is Dusk Lycanroc going all Korrina-Lucario, and furthermore since when did it turn into Serena's Braixen?

Wow, I didn't expect such a major revelation in this episode as the reason Lillie can't touch Pokémon. I thought it would come later in the arc.

"And What about my mother!!! Did she agree to all of this???" is an all-time hilarious Pokémon quote

Glad that this battle was completed at least. After Dusk Lycanroc was calmed down by Nebby's crying, I thought this battle would end up undecided as well.

Seriously! Same!!

Oh Gladion, this region isn't even half of what Ash has done during his travels XD. Although he does bring up an interesting point, what's the in universe reason for Ash being so special? Guess we'll find out someday aka never

maybe it's because of who his dad is

I know that, but who knows Gladion might also appear in a final to stop Ash(maybe in the League equivalent).

It's not that Dusk Lycanroc gets way more powerful in rage like Blaze Infernape, so I don't think they are exactly similar.

Yes, Dusk Lycanroc is much more similar to Korrina-Lucario.

Pretty much this. Dusk Lycanroc's personality is actually quite unique, it tends to have the brave/cool personality of Ash's aces, and on the other hand it also has feminine traits like getting upset when it gets dirty.

And Frozocone, which one of Ash's aces has been female so far? Generally all of Ash's aces tend to have a masculine personality just like Ash.

Do you know how sexist you sound?

Why, that be Dusk Lycanroc ofc

exactly

While SM is tending to break a lot of trends, and Dusk Lycanroc is a quadripedal ace compared to Ash's other bipedal aces, I doubt that they will break this trend. Because Ash's aces in the end more of less inherit Ash's personality, which probably won't suit a female.

Dude, why not? A girl could easily have Ash's personality.

Just to confirm, his moves were:
Swords Dance, Crush Claw, Double Hit, Air Slash correct?

yes

Just because Ash is a boy, it doesn't mean a girl can't be influenced by him and inherit his personality. Seriously, what do you have against females, much less a female ace?

He's sexist af

Since the mask restricts it's powers, Silvally is more powerful than Type:Null, so you can't call them technically the same.

If you believe a mask is evolution, I would like you to evolve by putting on a mask that restricts your powers of sexism.

Because Ash's traits are arguably more masculine than feminine and that possibly would suit males more. I personally don't want Dusk Lycanroc, who is supposed to be Ash's ace and an epic battler, to have a personality like Serena's Braixen, who always gets angry when it gets dirty, because I feel that kind of a personality doesn't suit a battler, who is supposed to be brave and cool in attitude.

stop. being. so. sexist

Silvally is considered to be a legendary pokemon. I don't think ash will defeat it mid series. If ash has to defeat silvally, it will happen near the end only, possibly during the league.

Yeah, good point, Ash beating legendaries is rare. However, he did beat an Articuno mid-series.

Eventually Lillie finds out and goes in Z form eventually beating Ash in the league

this would be the best Ash league loss. It would serve another plot purpose other than Ash losing. It would be great. I hope Lillie then loses to Gladion in the next round.

I don't know why Type: Null / Silvally's animation for Swords Dance bothered me so much but it really freakin urks me. -_- When they showed it the second time, I kinda just hated everything and wasn't really sure why.

Oh wow that's weird I really loved it.

I wonder why Lillies brother did not want anyone to know that Ash saw him training?

because he doesn't want anyone to know about Silvally

Is this the first time Ash has lost a battle in Alola?

He lost to Hobbes in SM008.

Last edited:

Vipsoccermaster

Good battle episode between Gladion/Silvally and Ash/Dusk Lycanroc. It's odd that Dusk Lycanroc goes out of control when its mane gets dirty, but oh well. Ash needs to train Dusk Lycanroc so it doesn't lose control over being dirty. Gladion apparently had the same trouble with his Silvally. It's also nice to learn more about the past of Gladion and Lillie, for we got more information about what happened to Lillie in the first place.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
It's odd that Dusk Lycanroc goes out of control when its mane gets dirty

Dusk Lycanroc has now combined traits of Ash-Greninja and Serena's Braixen.

Ash-Greninja - an Ash-only Pokémon that was not available in the game until the next game that came out

Serena's Braixen - getting upset at fur dirty

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention Korrina's Lucario too -- the eyes going mad and red.