• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Glee: Season 3 + The Glee Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
"I Kissed a Girl" was pretty good in parts, although the whole idea behind it seemed a little odd. Mr Schue and Shelby just kind of sat there...

Anyway, while there was a hell of a lot going on, many moments in this episode were really nice. Santana's coming-out-gone-wrong scene was genuinely heartbreaking, and made me realise that it's the first time in three seasons that one of the gay characters has been rejected by a loved one. Even though we'd never met that woman (Santana's grandmother?) before, you didn't need to be told that she was so important to Santana because you could just tell. One of the better "very special" moments in the show.

The Puck/Shelby/Quinn/Beth story... they're really going all-out with this! It's not a frivolous story just to keep Idina Menzel around and give Puck and Quinn something to do- it's a genuine drama where the characters feel truly three-dimensional. Knowing that Puck and Quinn will be gone at the end of the season, it seems like the story will have a conclusive ending by the time the season concludes, and right now we're in a very turbulent middle section where the emotions are really palpable. The pregnancy drama was a bit dodgy in Season 1, but the post-adoption drama in Season 3 is taking it in a really interesting direction.

The songs were really well performed, and for the most part well chosen. The only song which I really didn't care for was "I Kissed a Girl", because the song itself is so cringe-inducingly superficial and as far as I know it isn't really held in high regard by the lesbian community. They obviously threw that one in for fun, and because they think Katy Perry is worth acknowledging. Strange how the males gave a much stronger and more poignant and original performance in the lesbian-themed episode, not unlike the Madonna episode where they also gave the more subdued and sincere performance. "They Want to Have Fun" is such a cheesy 80s relic, and to make something like that out of it was a really clever move. Finn and Santana's moments were just beautiful in this episode, and I hope that they continue to grow as friends. Snarky friends, but still friends.

And the final twist... I'm now honestly wondering what will happen at sectionals. Is it possible that the Troubletones will win? I'm going to speculate that the Troubletones take first place, and New Directions second, but Quinn gets Shelby fired which disqualifies the Troubletones... or something like that...

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
So Sam is a now stripper, eh?

I liked the songs sung tonight, but I think I need to hear "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" again. It felt like it started off, but then it worked out. If anything, it's because I wasn't expecting the version Finn did.

So when the previews for the recent episode were out, I was wondering what was going through Puck's head telling Quinn about him and Shelby. Now that I know better... What's going to happen with Shelby? Wasn't she signed on to be on pretty much the whole season?

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever
It seems like a tradition for someone to not be able to go to Sectionals

Everybody's always been at Sectionals. Finn showed up last minute in the first season, but he was still there. And Kurt technically didn't miss Sectionals in the second season, since he went with the Warblers, his new school. This is the first time we won't see Rachel take the spotlight like usual - might be interesting, although with the other girls in the Troubletones, there really isn't a good female singer on level with Rachel - sorry Quinn.

Last night's episode was, overall, pretty good. I agreed with Santana's *****iness at the performance of "Perfect" - it felt very predictable for Kurt and Blaine and nothing special at all really. It's when Glee does something completely different, like turning "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" into a piano ballad, that the music really shines.

Beiste's storyline was fairly enjoyable to watch, although I feel like they held back a little bit on Sue's classic quips - I guess you can only be so witty. I also liked her "Jolene" performance.

Also, why did the show make such a big deal about the Congressional election and all of that when, in the conclusion, it's really only mentioned in a fleeting moment? That's what I dislike about Glee. With some storylines, I feel like they put in so much effort to build up the material and tension in a storyline only to give a very anti-climactic result. Congrats to Burt for winning the election, but no celebration or really any significant mention for you.

The sequence leading up to "I Kissed a Girl" was a nice little supportive moment that represents what the show is really about. I didn't think the actual number was necessary, but it was fun enough to enjoy it.

I also liked how Santana's abuela was not so accepting - after already doing a coming out storyline for Kurt that panned out pretty good, it was good to see that the writers realize that they can't treat Glee like a fantasy world. That rejection towards Santana was very powerful and very realistic, but I like how she kind of kept her chin-up afterwards at school.

The few little moments between Kurt and Rachel were nice, and I liked how Rachel can make everything about her - Michele plays the character perfectly. I know lots of people complain about Rachel, but you have to admit, there is no other character on TV like her and I'll be sad to see her go.

Rachel's ultimate deceit was a little expected, but her confessing to it was a nice little twist to end the episode.

Also, it'll be interesting to see how the Shelby-Puck-Quinn storyline will work out. Now that Quinn knows about the dirty little deed, I think ChaosMage mentioned a good prediction about how Sectionals might go.

Overall, a good episode that showed a fairly good balance of characters and a couple nice performances.

And Sam is back (shirtless no less) next episode, so that'll help with the 12 member requirement. But what the hell happened to Lauren? She was one of the coolest members in Glee! Why did she quit the club!?

But still, New Directions, if I counted correctly, will still be 2 members short (assuming the writers stay consistent) and currently no extra cast members are officially announced to be in the episode (not even Jacob or Becky) so we'll see how that all pans out.

Anyways, apparently Ricky Martin will be a substitue Spanish teacher sometime in January, so... I can't wait. ;)

I'd also like to see Karofksy come back a few more times this season and see exactly where his current struggle ends. I think I mentioned this last time, but that's because it is one of my favorite storylines.

Everybody's always been at Sectionals. Finn showed up last minute in the first season, but he was still there. And Kurt technically didn't miss Sectionals in the second season, since he went with the Warblers, his new school.

Still. Every season they always have the episode before Sectionals revealing someone can't come with New Directions. Season 1 was Will, 2 was Kurt, 3 is now Rachel

I didn't enjoy this episode as much as I have compared to the rest of the season.

Yes Rachel had a vulnerable moment, Finn's song was pretty cool, Santana's rejection from her grandma was done perfectly, and Bieste got a song....but there was just so much in this episode that was sub-par.

The elections turned out to be a dud (so much development settled in 2 lines at the end), Bieste going back and forth like a yo-yo, the predictable puck/baby drama, and the unnecessary songs are just some of why this episode left my mouth sour.

MisterM

That's what she said
This episode was very interesting IMO (yeah, I know, I said that for almost every episode that aired so far...)

I really liked Santana's storyline, and her coming out to her abuela was the best scene of the episode. When it comes to performances, unlike most of the people here, I really enjoyed Klaine's performance, it was nice and kinda refreshing! Finn's song was also nice and kind of a surprise to see this song as a ballade, still refreshing!

Now, as for Rachel, I'm sure she'll manage somehow to participate in the Sectionals. Can't we see her along with her partners in the preview?

Also, Stripper Sam FTW! 'Nuff said.

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
Holy crap! Tina sang a song that wasn't interrupted! I was so shocked. I'm also glad Michael Jackson got some love tonight.

Great episode tonight! I was kinda worried the Trouble Tones were going to win and then be forced to rejoin the New Directions after Quinn got Shelby fired. It would have been totally predictable, so I'm glad it didn't happen.

I was pleasantly surprised by Tina tonight, she was awesome!

Also I was interested to find out that the "Gurber baby" (Lindsay from The Glee Project) is a sophmore, and is planning to be a force to be reckoned with, hopefully we'll see her.

Other points:
- Quin's phsycho b*tch was queled by Rachel, which I thought was endearing.
- Mike's dad finally showed support!
- The Trebletones conclusion was really iffy....but it needed to be done.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
Thoughts on "Hold On to Sixteen"

-So, is that it for Shelby? Surely there's a couple of scenes we still need to see from her before she departs from the show, but she's not set to appear in the Christmas episode and then she won't appear again after the hiatus. They just need to slap a bow on her storylines.

-Quinn's development was great in this episode, and hopefully we've seen the last of "scary Quinn"- the character's only got the rest of this season before she leaves, so now was a good time to set her back on the right track. There's enough drama to be found in the soul searching and maturity storylines without having the characters constantly stabbing each other in the back.

-Mike's Billy Elliot story, as familiar as it might be, has given us some really nice moments and any excuse to put him and Tina front-and-center for a couple of scenes is welcome. Although I do wonder what more we can expect from Tina this season (and the next, since she's one of the juniors) because her performance in this episode can't have gone unnoticed by the producers. She was exceptional in ABC- it only took losing the three best females from the group for her to get a showcase.

-Sam coming back was a little jarring but I honestly don't care. Nobody wanted him to leave in the first place, so the sooner and more seamlessly he can slide in the better. It was also VERY heavily implied that he and Mercedes were each other's firsts, and I'm interested in seeing whether their triangle will go anywhere. Shane is a big boring stereotype who barely appears, so he'd be no great loss for Mercedes or for the show.

-Sugar has been getting this development in the background over the last eight episodes, and considering how irritating she was when she first showed up she's turned out to be a pretty nice person. She can dance well, she's easy on the eyes and she's very enthusiastic and supportive when other people are performing. I don't know whether she's going to join New Directions now or not (she was in "We Are Young", the big reunion number, which implied that she would be) but I'm all for it. I don't see her becoming a major character though; she'd be like Rory and have little moments but never overshadow the original cast (and Blaine), steadily improving over future seasons.

-In terms of the performances... "Red Solo Cup" isn't really a song I can say I'm familiar with, but I like it enough. It suited Sam's character and all, but in such a jam-packed episode I felt it took up too much time. The Troubletones were good but the Survivor mash-up was nowhere near as powerful as their Adele one. The New Directions were the deserving winners, which I wasn't expecting to be the case, and I think we literally heard a solo from every established character (ie, everyone apart from those three extra guys... gotta love how flippantly they were added in thanks to that foot-in-mouth self-inflicted 12 member minimum). "Control" is a crap song by any standard, but you can't go wrong with "Man in the Mirror" and "ABC" is a fun energetic one. Why didn't they pick something like "Smooth Criminal" or "Bad" to fill in the "sexy" middle spot? "Control" is as one-note as a song can get! It was nice to see Harmony again, but I never watched The Glee Project, or even particularly approved of its existence, so I don't know enough about the actress who plays her to judge how well they've used her. She's an adequate one-shot character, but we already have so many divas on the main and recurring cast so I don't really care if she shows up in the future.

All in all, a solid competition episode, and better than any of the competition episodes in Season 2 were. It wrapped up most of the ongoing storylines and gave some hints as to what to expect, so I'm definitely looking forward to the next batch of stories they come up with.

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
You all seem to know everything before I ever find out, so I'm sure this is not news. But they just announced that Glee will be doing a tribute to Michael Jackson on Jan 24. I'm excited. He should have been tributed well before Britany Spears IMO.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
You all seem to know everything before I ever find out, so I'm sure this is not news. But they just announced that Glee will be doing a tribute to Michael Jackson on Jan 24. I'm excited. He should have been tributed well before Britany Spears IMO.

I'm not sure how I feel about the tribute episodes. Whether they work or not is entirely dependant on how well they're integrated into the plots and the characters. The only number that really left an impact in the Madonna episode was "Like a Virgin", which fit the Will/Emma story as well as the triangle between Finn, Rachel and Jesse (with Santana thrown in because... why the hell not?) but the other songs were all style and no substance... just like Madonna, so I guess they did it perfectly. The Britney episode didn't happen. It just didn't happen.

The Rocky Horror episode was fun, but I don't remember anything really significant happening plot-wise. Still, aside from the disastrous decision to have Mercedes sing "Sweet Transvestite" they did a good job performing the iconic songs. That one was just an excuse to do some Rocky Horror songs, which some members of the cast had wanted to do for ages. Their best tribute episode was "Rumours" because they found a way to integrate almost every song into the storylines that were running at the time (the only exception being "Dreams", which was used as a Chenoweth showcase and to introduce the project to the class, and neither of those are bad things).

So... I'm going to call it and say that the Jacko tribute needs to be one of two things; either very carefully written so that the songs reflect the characters and the plots, without any ***-pulls just for the sake of a song, or a fun episode which serves no greater purpose than to pay tribute to a legend.

Anyway, numbers they should do for the Michael episode;
Puck and Artie singing "Bad". Has to happen.
Any couple singing "Remember the Time", or possibly a whole bunch of them. There's so many love stories that any of them would do. Probably Rachel/Finn though, since they always have their obligatory duet.
Will singing "Billie Jean"- he's overdue for a major number, and he's the best fit for the song. Not really one which can be assigned to any of the characters' stories, so best to do that one as the "introducing the assignment" song
Mercedes and... somebody (Sam?) singing "Black or White"
Somebody singing "You Are Not Alone"... this should probably be the finale, where the whole group comes together. Not sure who it would be targeted towards, but they'd no doubt build the whole episode up to it.

Sue and Bieste should sing Beat It. I mean it really fits into their story lines. It's a shame that they aren't the best singers.

I don't know then, I'd also say Kurt to Sebastian, but his voice doesn't exactly suit the song. I can actually picture Blaine and Finn singing the song the best, but I can't think of any context

I wonder if the writers realize that Rachel, who constantly berated Quinn for threatening to report a teacher for sexual harassment to get what she wanted, reported a teacher for sexual harassment to get what she wanted in episode one.

Wait, it's Glee, of course they don't.

mockingjay

swift and lol
Harmony: And just think, I'm only a sophomore and I'm already this good. Next year's gonna be a bloodbath.

Should have seen this coming. Harmony as the new female lead for New Directons, anyone? I was kinda surprised that the 'Unitards' were so happy when they got 3rd place.

Well, tbh, this was one of the best episodes of season three. Not the best, but up there on top. Hope to see more of Sugar soon. She wasn't listed in the press release, but her character has so much potential. They could improve her singing overtime.

jscholfield

Pokemon Breeder
Sue and Bieste should sing Beat It. I mean it really fits into their story lines. It's a shame that they aren't the best singers.

I don't know then, I'd also say Kurt to Sebastian, but his voice doesn't exactly suit the song. I can actually picture Blaine and Finn singing the song the best, but I can't think of any context

bieste is more country songs, while sue was good when she sung with her mum.

also I found a rumor that I hope is true Rory won a 7-episode arc as his prize for winning The Glee Project, but it was recently revealed that his contract had been extended, so he will be on Glee longer, possibly for the remainder of the season.

MisterM

That's what she said
(Gee, this thread really went to the third page? I need to put it back in front!)

So, thoughts on the Christmas episode :

Well, it sure was interesting, and kind of a 'light' episode. It was nice to see the good ol' Glee Club finally reunited. The songs were obviously kinda cliché but it was OK. I just wish the Black&White Christmas special was shorter, it feels like almost half of the episode was dedicated to this, which is way too much IMO.

I'm glad Rory got a bigger role in this episode and I really hope the rumor you found, jscholfied, turns out to be true, I'm getting attached to this character.

Thoughts on the previous episode : Sectionals IIRC

Jackson tribute? YES!
Mike and Tina as lead singer during the first number of the competition? YES PLEASE!
Rachel out of the competition and just cheering from the seats? YES!
Jonathan coming to the competition to cheer on Blaine and to get Kurt jealous? OH HELL YES!
The Warblers not competing? Oh dear, why?... WHY?

This is the only negative point of this: the lack of Warblers performance.

mockingjay

swift and lol
(Gee, this thread really went to the third page? I need to put it back in front!)

So, thoughts on the Christmas episode :

Well, it sure was interesting, and kind of a 'light' episode. It was nice to see the good ol' Glee Club finally reunited. The songs were obviously kinda cliché but it was OK. I just wish the Black&White Christmas special was shorter, it feels like almost half of the episode was dedicated to this, which is way too much IMO.

I'm glad Rory got a bigger role in this episode and I really hope the rumor you found, jscholfied, turns out to be true, I'm getting attached to this character.

Thoughts on the previous episode : Sectionals IIRC

Jackson tribute? YES!
Mike and Tina as lead singer during the first number of the competition? YES PLEASE!
Rachel out of the competition and just cheering from the seats? YES!
Jonathan coming to the competition to cheer on Blaine and to get Kurt jealous? OH HELL YES!
The Warblers not competing? Oh dear, why?... WHY?

This is the only negative point of this: the lack of Warblers performance.

Damien's contract has been extended, he confirmed himself but he doesn't know how long it'll last. It's not like there was any doubt that his contract wouldn't be extended, RM has mentioned many times that he wants Rory to be the male lead next season.

Warblers will be up against ND at Regionals.

Status
Not open for further replies.