• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Glitch Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Hey, folks! By request (and because it looks like it'd be easier, haha), this is a thread where you can report glitches and either suggest solutions ... or, well, offer support for each other over having them.

Please note this is a thread for swapping info, not a ranting thread. If you're super-frustrated with the game to the point where you're uninstalling, that's totally cool, but this is not an appropriate place to talk about that. D: Thanks!

Also, if you're looking for answers to questions not related to glitches in the game, feel free to check out the Simple Q&A.

Last edited:

Lt. BLEU™

Top Class Lieutenant
Thank you Jx for making this thread.

coming to the point,

Glitch: I faced a glitch several time. This occured during a wild Pokemon encounter. As soon as a pokeball is thrown, the Pokemon goes inside the pokeball and then, the pokeball does not shake. Neither does it go ahead. Just remains as it until the app is shut.

probable solution: close the app and restarting the game works just fine.

Other notes: I have noticed that this happened to me four to five times and three times the Pokemon was not caught, one of them being an Eevee.

Pokemon Power

Sometimes the ball doesn't shake when you catch a Pokemon and that freezes the game. You may wanna make a note of it.

Grey Wind

There's actually a bunch of glitches relating to capturing Pokemon (I got stuck zoomed in on a Clefairy earlier, and I've had it freeze fairly randomly). Same thing applies though, just restart the app and hope you actually caught it.

I've also heard of the GPS glitching out and putting people in the middle of the ocean and stuff, so make sure your location settings are on high accuracy mode.

fleuriine

Nohrian Scum
To very quickly add onto the 1 HP gym glitch, when that happened to me and I closed and re-opened the app, I found that none of the damage my pokemon took had been saved. I'm certainly not complaining about this, but I figured I'd make not of it in case anyone experienced similarly or differently.

Glitch: I faced a glitch several time. This occured during a wild Pokemon encounter. As soon as a pokeball is thrown, the Pokemon goes inside the pokeball and then, the pokeball does not shake. Neither does it go ahead. Just remains as it until the app is shut.

probable solution: close the app and restarting the game works just fine.

Sometimes the ball doesn't shake when you catch a Pokemon and that freezes the game. You may wanna make a note of it.

I can confirm that both of these have happened to me as well during multiple occasions. However, unlike Lt. Bleu, most of my catches were registered when I re-opened the app, leading me to believe that whether or not you successfully capture the pokemon is determined when you throw the ball.

I've also touched upon a couple of other glitches I've experienced in some other threads, so I'll post them here as well (and elaborate as necessary):

As for your Tauros, it's very possible that you were experiencing a glitch (likely due to miscommunication with the server) that essentially "freezes" your listed nearby pokemon (if I had to take a guess, I'd say that the frozen list is inaccurate as well). I've had this happen to me a couple of times before, and each time I closed the app and re-opened it to fix the problem. Nearby pokemon don't reset if you log out and in again unless they were never nearby to begin with or they naturally moved away.

To expand upon this, when I say "freeze" I mean that the nearby pokemon list doesn't update, no matter how far I travel. The game itself is not frozen and can register pokestops, gyms, and incense encounters.

I've had a number of bugs/crashes while playing GO, but now that the server situation seems to be improving a little, my biggest frustration is with trying to battle at gyms.

I wasn't going to ignore it and assume it was nothing, but I have three times tried to challenge a gym, and each time nothing happens. I hit 'go' on the main gym screen the arena screen appears with our pokemon on it, it says "Battle!" "Go!" then sends me right back to the gym screen?

I've had this problem as well. Even when the "Go!" finally works, the gym battle itself glitches out and I can barely see my own pokemon, let alone the pokemon I'm trying to fight. Both times I've had to forfeit and retry, where it worked the second time (I should note that both times it appears I had AR for the gym battles active, although the AR only activated after I forfeited and retried).

I want to also quickly note that sometimes the battle doesn't even load at all, and I have to close the app and re-open it.

I feel it's also probably worth mentioning that the situation where I can't see either pokemon in battle (they seem to be severely elevated and justified either left or right) seems to be similar to a glitch I've seen a couple of times when evolving a pokemon, where in the status screen after evolution the pokemon is elevated upwards to the point that it's overtop of the CP number. It's not a big deal and corrects itself if you exit and re-enter the status screen, but could possibly suggest that it, alongside the gym glitch, is a malfunction within the game data itself (or perhaps a combination of both).

And finally, some more miscellaneous glitches:

I find that sometimes, when the servers are acting up, even if I can log into the game, hardly anything loads. My trainer can still move around with relative accuracy, but no pokestops or gyms show up, no wild pokemon show up, and the trainer data in the bottom left-hand corner is incorrect, set to about 60% exp completion and a generic blue outline, even if I've already picked a team. If I bring up my trainer info, the badges and number of pokecoins is correct, but the area were my trainer should be is completely black, my exp bar is completely empty, and my level doesn't show up. If I click on my pokemon or eggs, nothing will show up and if I click on my items only the camera shows up. If I remember correctly, the dex is completely empty as well. The shop sometimes loads, but other times it's a completely white screen.

Dovetailing into that, sometimes the shop experiences its own glitches, even if the game itself is working. There have been occasions where the shop won't load and is stuck on a white screen. I can exit out of it just fine, and I've noticed it typically happens in bad coverage areas. Other times, after I make a microtransaction, even though the transaction was a success, my coin total does not change. If I try to buy anything that I would be able to afford after the transaction but can't afford with the non-updated total, the game won't let me. Even if I exit out of the shop or catch a pokemon, the coin total does not change. It only updates after I close and re-open the app.

For some smaller nuisances, sometimes the game completely freezes up. I can't tell you specifically what causes this, as it's happened at multiple, seemingly random occasions. While my trainer can move around, I can't click on anything at all. Even if I minimize the app and re-open it, the game is still frozen. I have to close the app and re-open it for it to work. It's worth noting that each time this has happened to me, it was immediately followed by the servers being down, indicating that there might be a link there.

Other times, the game randomly closes. For me, it seems to happen on completely random instances and thankfully hasn't happened very often, but I have a friend who's game, on the first day, would consistently close each time he caught a pokemon.

Finally, I've noticed that there's a bit of a delay in processing a level up. While the exp bar switches to your new level and everything is displayed properly, the game doesn't do its flashy level-up animation and give you your level-up bonuses until you get any amount of exp after you've leveled up. It's not a big deal, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Please keep in mind that unless otherwise specified, this has only happened in my game and I do not speak for everyone else's experience! ;u; Will edit and update with more glitches if I remember/encounter any more! (I'm terribly sorry this is such a long post)

So far I've experienced most of the glitches mentioned here- especially those gym ones!

I'm curious, does anyone else often get stuck 25% through the garados loading screen? Is this a glitch or just another sign that the servers are down?

fleuriine

Nohrian Scum
I'm curious, does anyone else often get stuck 25% through the garados loading screen? Is this a glitch or just another sign that the servers are down?

That happens to me all the time!!! Sometimes if I wait long enough I can get through to the login screen, but other times a message pops down saying it can't connect to the server and asking me to retry. While I think the fact that it automatically loads to and stops at approximately 25% might be a glitch, actually getting stuck on the screen itself is more likely a server issue than a glitch.

Caleb_W

I'm not really sure if it's a glitch, or just an odd oversight, but you can totally hatch Pikachu from an egg, even though that makes absolutely no sense.

Edit: And I was just checking the list and it appears that Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Jynx, Electabuzz, and Magmar are also on the hatch list. Weird!

Last edited:

Beat!

The Chords of Steel
I'm not really sure if it's a glitch, or just an odd oversight, but you can totally hatch Pikachu from an egg, even though that makes absolutely no sense.

Edit: And I was just checking the list and it appears that Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Jynx, Electabuzz, and Magmar are also on the hatch list. Weird!

Pre-evolutions are not in the app yet. There is no Pichu, or Cleffa etc...So that's why a Pikachu can be hatched from an egg. Not a glitch

Do any of you have issues with the Pokedex descriptions? Like the screen starts acting all funky when you access to them?

Theo-92

Don't know if it's a glitch or not but sometimes I can click on a pokemon to capture and instead of going to the AR screen it just vanishes. The app still continues as normal but it's happened quite a few times.

Also the GPS location can bug out and the character is running up and down the place trying to find your location.

Lt. BLEU™

Top Class Lieutenant
Pre-evolutions are not in the app yet. There is no Pichu, or Cleffa etc...So that's why a Pikachu can be hatched from an egg. Not a glitch

Do any of you have issues with the Pokedex descriptions? Like the screen starts acting all funky when you access to them?

Yes, I do. Pokedex data other than Bulbasaur cannot be accessed. And even that is not clear.

Takoto

Prince of Ampora
Maybe a coincidence, but I find the Ball Glitch happens a lot more when I'm outside without a completely stable net connection- the App just seems to give up loading ahaha. I've had it happen 8+ times outside, and only once in my own house.

fleuriine

Nohrian Scum
I've encountered another glitch that I can confirm, is in fact a glitch (or server error)! Sometimes, when I visit a pokestop, even if the image and title loads, when I spin the pokestop nothing comes out. However, when I spin the pokestop enough times, it says "try again later" as if it had actually registered. Even though the pokestop stays blue, it turns out I did actually interact with it and get items out of it. If I log out and back in again, the pokestop is purple, indicating that I've visited it, and I can confirm that it's at least possible to get eggs out of it as well (I don't keep careful enough stock of my inventory to say if items register as well, but I would assume they do too).

My assumption is that this is simply a miscommunication with the server or an inability to reach the server. Hopefully, once Niantic gets the server issues resolved, this won't happen, although I'm curious to see if others have experienced this as well.

WildArms

I'm current having an issue with the Pokestops and Lure Modules. I learned recently that the Pokestops are supposed to turn pink when they are used. Mine do not turn pink yet always remain blue. The bigger issue, is that Lure Module, Pokestops with Lure Modules in use, do not populate any pokemon for me. I'm not sure why its not working. I've tried restarting and re-downloading the game but to no avail. I'm super frustrated.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Also the GPS location can bug out and the character is running up and down the place trying to find your location.

Haha, yeah, this one might not be resolved. It happens now and then in Niantic's other game, Ingress, and it's a thing called GPS drift. Putting it in laymen's terms, it's because GPS works because your device interacts with a satellite. So in places where it's a little more difficult for the satellite to pick up on you specifically (like in places where there are a lot of devices operating all at once, in places with lots of tall buildings, and so forth), your GPS will periodically try to correct itself until it finds you. This results in your cursor flying all over the place momentarily before it settles on you. It's perfectly normal for games like this, and it should hopefully not be too disruptive. (In Ingress, folks even take advantage of this, lol.) But! Let me know how it's affecting you. I'm kinda curious if it is disruptive, and if it is, it should absolutely be added to the list.

Speaking of additions, going to add the Pokéstop and Pokédex glitches. Thanks, guys!

Edit: Also, to WildArms, sorry about nearly missing your post! D: Curiosity speaking, but when you try to spin stops, do you get items out of them, or do they not do anything at all? Because if you're also not getting items out of them, I wonder if you're being affected by a variation of the glitch fleuriine had mentioned.

fleuriine

Nohrian Scum
Haha, yeah, this one might not be resolved. It happens now and then in Niantic's other game, Ingress, and it's a thing called GPS drift. Putting it in laymen's terms, it's because GPS works because your device interacts with a satellite. So in places where it's a little more difficult for the satellite to pick up on you specifically (like in places where there are a lot of devices operating all at once, in places with lots of tall buildings, and so forth), your GPS will periodically try to correct itself until it finds you. This results in your cursor flying all over the place momentarily before it settles on you. It's perfectly normal for games like this, and it should hopefully not be too disruptive. (In Ingress, folks even take advantage of this, lol.) But! Let me know how it's affecting you. I'm kinda curious if it is disruptive, and if it is, it should absolutely be added to the list.

To quickly address the GPS drift in Pokemon Go, I honestly think that most of the time it has happened to me, it's been pretty helpful. Your character running around as a result of the drift will count towards egg steps, which can allow for you to hatch an egg that's close to hatching without actually moving (this has happened to me a couple of times). My house is also stationed literally right next to a pokestop, so when my character randomly walks a couple of feet, even if I haven't moved, sometimes it will be in close enough range to activate the pokestop. Of course, that's just for me, though.

I think the only time it's been disruptive is when I had traveled a long distance via car and it was having a lot of trouble finding my location after I opened the app back up (it had been minimized, not closed). It was easily fixed once I closed and re-opened the app, though, leading me to believe it was probably an issue with the server not being able to communicate with the GPS satellites.

Dezmond

Same glitches as most already discussed.

1. Gym is the most annoying and seems to happen with any gym I try.

2. Pokéball glitch when the game freezes. I just go to my homescreen on the iPhone and open the app again. If the loading Pokéball in the top left screen starts spinning it won't continue but I did have the luck that most of the times the Pokémon has been catched although you don't get a mention.

3. Glitch with Pokéstops staying blue. Just wait a little or restart the app and it will be purple and you get your experience.

Another glitch I notices it takes sometimes a few minutes before you get the announcement you leveled up and get your items. Bit weird but probably server lag.

I've encountered another glitch that I can confirm, is in fact a glitch (or server error)! Sometimes, when I visit a pokestop, even if the image and title loads, when I spin the pokestop nothing comes out. However, when I spin the pokestop enough times, it says "try again later" as if it had actually registered. Even though the pokestop stays blue, it turns out I did actually interact with it and get items out of it. If I log out and back in again, the pokestop is purple, indicating that I've visited it, and I can confirm that it's at least possible to get eggs out of it as well (I don't keep careful enough stock of my inventory to say if items register as well, but I would assume they do too).

My assumption is that this is simply a miscommunication with the server or an inability to reach the server. Hopefully, once Niantic gets the server issues resolved, this won't happen, although I'm curious to see if others have experienced this as well.
This also happened to me! I've had pokestop item drop animations fail to load, but got items anyway. I've got repeated 'try again later' errors, and every once and a while the name and picture for the stop don't load, and instead just remain white. these don't occur nearly as often as the gym glitches for me though. I'd say about 20% of the time something odd happens with pokestops.

fleuriine

Nohrian Scum
This also happened to me! I've had pokestop item drop animations fail to load, but got items anyway. I've got repeated 'try again later' errors, and every once and a while the name and picture for the stop don't load, and instead just remain white. these don't occur nearly as often as the gym glitches for me though. I'd say about 20% of the time something odd happens with pokestops.

Yeah, the pokestops failing to load the picture and the name and staying white is pretty common for me! I'd say the gym glitches are more frequent than pokestop glitches as well, but I must be in a pretty bad service area or something :') It's nice to hear I'm not the only one with these problems, though! (not that I'd wish glitches upon anyone, aha)

[Edit] Another glitch! When battling a pokemon, if you open the menu right as it flees (dust cloud), the menu freezes and you can't exit out of it. Sometimes the X button will respond, but it won't close the menu

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.