• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Glitches

Kreis

Still Dirrty
I don't know if this glitch is exclusive to HGSS, but I figured I might as well post it.

I RNG'd for a shiny Totodile (in an egg) on Platinum. I then traded the egg over to HG and hatched it. When it hatched, it was shiny on the hatching screen. However, when I had a look at its stats screen, it was no longer shiny.

The glitch has nothing to do with the fact that I RNG'd to get the shiny, because technically, the shiny was still legitimately obtained.

Does anyone know anything about this or if it happens in games other than HGSS?

It happens when you trade a shiny egg to another game. I don't really know the specifics, but there's an explanation as to why it does that.

Midnightkitsune

neighborhood trOll
I don't know if this glitch is exclusive to HGSS, but I figured I might as well post it.

I RNG'd for a shiny Totodile (in an egg) on Platinum. I then traded the egg over to HG and hatched it. When it hatched, it was shiny on the hatching screen. However, when I had a look at its stats screen, it was no longer shiny.

The glitch has nothing to do with the fact that I RNG'd to get the shiny, because technically, the shiny was still legitimately obtained.

thats something with secret id and trainer id not a bug or glitch

PkMnPwNs1991

<- Hot tamale
I think I found a glitch.Its very simple and harmless, when your with your pokemon walking next to you(for some reason you have to be outside) if you walk down so that you and your pokemon are facing down with your pokemon behind you, take one step up and when your pokemon is standing there, it seems that its head is being stretched by one pixel.

This happens with anything that's closer to you than the character is. The same thing happens to anything else in the game. If you imagine the screen you see as a camera that's recording the events as they happen, objects that are closer to you than the hero is look bigger, and everything behind the character is smaller. It has to do with the 2.5-D imaging generator the game uses or something like that.

Anyway, I have a glitch. I don't remember where it happened because I didn't think much of it. I think it was somewhere in Kanto, maybe near Pewter City. When my character stood in one specific spot, about 2 steps over and one up from the character's position there was a very tiny black plus sign where some pixels from the mountain next to my character got blacked out. It caught my attention for just a fraction of a second as I ran past it, and I had to do a double-take to prove to myself it had actually happened. It seemed harmless so I ignored it and kept on moving. Any chance anyone else caught this?

rocky505

I had a fishing glitch. i was fishing below Lavender to catch me a relicanth and instead of above my head the (!) was above my Pokemon's head.

Poke'Dude

Poke'Expert
I've encountered the black plus sign multiple times.
It's no big deal, just a small graphical error.
Happened to me in caves mostly though.

EmpressMyuu

Technically the game has the infrastructure that allows 2 on 2 with each person having 6 Pokemon. Thus, if you battled 8 the two trainers you faced shared Pokemon in any arrangement that sums to 8.

My opinion: no glitch, just a looked-over scenario that probably should have been changed.

That's pretty much it, he had three Pokemon while she had 5, but of course the trainer bar at the start of every battle can only show 6 at one time. In Emerald the glitch was probably a more prevalent thought (you could only pick three Pokemon to bring into the battle against Maxie and Tabitha when Steven was with you), where in D/P/Pt it wasn't so uncommon to go into battle with a full team of 6 while your partner (at the places where someone joined you) had just one or three. In HG/SS though there aren't any partners that join up with you so there's always just six Pokemon on your side. This is the only time I've run into this so while it might not be a glitch, it's a weird side-effect of the extra double battles introduced in Emerald (two different trainers approaching you at once, as opposed to a pair like the Twins), and while I wasn't bothered by it, I can see where someone else might find the 8-on-6 matchup pretty unfair.

Well this might be a glitch, otherwise it's a cool cheat that helps you out by fooling the system; it's possible to get two Moon Stones from the Monday night Clefairy dance at Mt. Moon. I went in and caught the dance, then saved and shut it off after I picked up the stone since that's all I needed to make sure to do for the moment. A little bit after midnight I go back to my game...the Clefairy music is playing in the square again. Out of curiosity I exit the square and Mt. Moon itself as well and go right back in, and re-enter the square. The Clefairy are dancing under the moon again, and after I watch they kindly cough up another Moon Stone for me.

AllenApple

Ultimate Sodapop Guy
occasionly when i walk its like an old western movie, lots of black spots and stuff. it happens alot in 3d areas. PS: the celebi glitch is a real thing, i dont know much about it.

natie

Mr. F
Out of curiosity, has the glitch ever been proven true or false?
It's false, otherwise there would be tons of Celebis around :D

Most annoying graphical glitch I've seen is the borders on the edges of the screen.

I have yet to see any real glitch though.

randomspot555

occasionly when i walk its like an old western movie, lots of black spots and stuff. it happens alot in 3d areas. PS: the celebi glitch is a real thing, i dont know much about it.

It's a "real thing" as far as there are people who keep claiming it's real.

They don't have a single ounce of evidence supporting it though. You not knowing anything about it is an indicator of that.

Ah, good to see the glitch thread full of "my game acted perfectly normal. Is it a glitch?!?!" posts.

Though I'm surprised to hear the Ditto-Transform glitch is still around. I'll have to test it myself.

I've also heard that Mew using Transform results in the glitch in any version, but I guess Game Freak never corrected it for Mew since it can learn so many moves anyway and can't breed. (Note: I have not confirmed this myself)

Dragrath

Dragon Onslaught
I've been doing some Google searching, it appears this was a glitch in the original Japanese Diamond and Pearl as well. Interesting that it would resurface now... As soon as I'm done chaining I'll check it out.

cool! imagine that glitch on an event arceus.... or a Darkrai... wayOP

dragor31

^^ That would be epic. But I think using it to get imposible move sets would be better. Bellydrumming, extremespeed Azumaril.

And does this mean the item cloning glitch may also be back??

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I encountered a pretty huge glitch.

I was walking around Route 35, when I encountered a Ditto. It used Transform on my Croconaw. I captured the Ditto, and checked it out:

It still had Croconaw's moveset. Knocking it out didn't change it. Putting it into a PC box didn't change it. Taking it to a Pokemon Center only gave it full PP for its new moves. Turning the power off and on didn't change it.

So, now, I have a Ditto who knows Scratch, Bite, Water Gun, and Rage.

Woah that's one weird glitch XD. And one interesting Ditto :p. Are you going to train it up and use it in battles?

thetifftiff

The only part of this that seems glitchy to me is that it looked shiny when it hatched. Shininess of an egg is supposed to be based on the ID and SID so if an egg will hatch shiny in one game it's unlikely that it will hatch shiny in another.

Takoto

Prince of Ampora
I've been doing some Google searching, it appears this was a glitch in the original Japanese Diamond and Pearl as well. Interesting that it would resurface now... As soon as I'm done chaining I'll check it out.

Well, D/P/P and HG/SS are on the same engine, I believe.
So, what if they took the unedited Japanese D/P/P engine, that still had the glitch, made HG/SS on it, and then just translated it from that- however didn't realize the glitches was still there?
I think that's the most likely situation.

Out of curiosity, has the glitch ever been proven true or false?

I don't think it's ever been "proven", as the glitch only happened in very early releases of the game. Some people say "it's true" and some people say "it's false" but there really isn't any proof at all as to it being true or false.

So... yeah, it's unproven. I think.

Heart Gold

Ho-oh Blasts you off
Is it really glitch or just weird to have lvl 7 Noctowl and Lvl 8 Pigetteo (I caught them in Viridian Forest) *usually they was supposed to evolve at 16-18 lvl right?* Honestly, I believe it's not glitch but just weird low lvl early evolved pokemon right?