• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Global Link to shut down. Features deactivated in stagger from October 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of sucks it's going down already. I thought it would be around longer than this.

NOOOOO. I've still got 6 Arceus to get out of there!!! and not long to do it, god damn you why set a date and then bring it forward that's just mean :(

I highly doubt that the 5th gen PGL is being taken down before the announced date (Unless you have evidence that proves otherwise). They're probably doing some prep maintainence for the big one in October for 6th gen, I have a feeling that this will be one of the last maintence sprees for the 5th gen PGL (aside from the one for implementing the 6th gen PGL) so they're probably making it count.

EDIT: Actually, the PGL is back to normal (for now)

Last edited:

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Yep, it;s back.

Earendil

When is the exact day that it will it no longer be possible to tuck in a Pokemon or visit the Isle of Dreams and obtain new DWF Pokemon? The Pokemon Global Link website says Tuesday, December 10th, but I just saw a notification on the index page of these forums that says "There's only a month of Pokemon Dream World left. Be sure to get what you need!"

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
When is the exact day that it will it no longer be possible to tuck a Pokemon in or visit the Isle of Dreams and obtain new DWF Pokemon? The Pokemon Global Link website says Tuesday, December 10th, but I just saw a notification on the index page of these forums that says "There's only a month of Pokemon Dream World left. Be sure to get what you need!"

Serebii is half wrong about that, you'll only be locked out on October 12th if you haven't already made an account or are using the Demo version. For everyone else, you have until December 10th.

alakazam^

So, has anyone tested if catching a pokemon in Dream World and trading it to another game unlocks the medals? I'm thinking about restarting my BW2 but I'm kinda worried about the medals and the time we have left.

What else is going to be unavailable? It's only Memory Link, right? The keys are not affected, I assume.

But C-gear skins and other customizations would be lost once I restarted, right? I'm guessing the game would generate a new login code.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
So, has anyone tested if catching a pokemon in Dream World and trading it to another game unlocks the medals? I'm thinking about restarting my BW2 but I'm kinda worried about the medals and the time we have left.

It won't. The condition for earning the medals requires you to catch them in the Entralink, and the only way to do that is to send them back from the DW. So if you want those medals, don't restart, because you probably won't have enough time left to get them at this point (maybe if you took home a Pokemon every day from now until December 10th, but you'd be cutting it close).

What else is going to be unavailable? It's only Memory Link, right? The keys are not affected, I assume.

None of those things are affected, it's just the DW, Random Matchup Ratings Mode, and GTS trade history. Basically the stuff that you need the Global Link site for.

alakazam^

It won't. The condition for earning the medals requires you to catch them in the Entralink, and the only way to do that is to send them back from the DW. So if you want those medals, don't restart, because you probably won't have enough time left to get them at this point (maybe if you took home a Pokemon every day from now until December 10th, but you'd be cutting it close).

None of those things are affected, it's just the DW, Random Matchup Ratings Mode, and GTS trade history. Basically the stuff that you need the Global Link site for.
Are you sure? I seem to remember reading that they'd disable Memory Link at sometime.

Do you happen to know if, when restarting a game, we can access the same DW account we had or would the game generate a new code?

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Speaking of Global Link, that bit of news on Serebii's main page on banning people. I'm interested to know if they banned just like obvious hacks or if they figured a way to tell those hacks that appear completely legit.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Are you sure? I seem to remember reading that they'd disable Memory Link at sometime.

IDK where you heard that but it doesn't make sense, Memory Link has nothing to do with the Global Link, you just need two DSes and one copy of BW1 and one copy of BW2.

Do you happen to know if, when restarting a game, we can access the same DW account we had or would the game generate a new code?

I'm not sure, but it doesn't matter if you're looking at Medals. The Medals will be deleted once you restart, and you won't have enough time to get the 100 all over again.

alakazam^

IDK where you heard that but it doesn't make sense, Memory Link has nothing to do with the Global Link, you just need two DSes and one copy of BW1 and one copy of BW2.
It seems it is "The ability to do WiFi Memory Link in Black 2 & White 2 also goes offline on January 14th 2014."

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
It seems it is "The ability to do WiFi Memory Link in Black 2 & White 2 also goes offline on January 14th 2014."

Okay, I looked into it, and I know what's going on now. ATM, you can perform Memory Link by connecting to the Global Link site via Wi Fi when a Pokemon from Black or White is tucked in, but after January 14th, you will be unable to do so. That does not mean, however, that Memory Link will be completely disabled, it just means you need to do it wirelessly using two DSes.

Xernoblade

Live long & prosper
Does anyone know if your items in the Treasure Chest and all the berries in your garden stay after the October maintenance? I have some stat increasing berries there and I don't want to lose them, but if I transfer them now and it turns out that you don't lose the berries, I won't be able to propagate the berries anymore...

Earendil

Does anyone know if your items in the Treasure Chest and all the berries in your garden stay after the October maintenance? I have some stat increasing berries there and I don't want to lose them, but if I transfer them now and it turns out that you don't lose the berries, I won't be able to propagate the berries anymore...

That's actually a really good question; I went and checked with The Pokemon Company International today about the (possible) issue, and this is what they had to say:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Earendil,
A solution for your issue has been suggested.

Hello Earendil,

thank you for contacting the Pokémon Support.

Please note that our support team cannot make any statements about the future of the Pokémon Global Link. All currently available info can be found here:

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/pgl_xyrelaunch-2013-07-01/

http://en.pokemon-gl.com/about/s_notice/

We will release more information and details the closer we get to the launch of the new Pokémon Global Link and the release of Pokémon X and Y.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

The Pokémon Support Team

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you have it, then- they won't say, which probably isn't a good sign (and the above letter came to me straight from the Global Link customer service center). If I were you, I'd pull everything but a "skeleton crew" of berries from your Treasure Chest. Leave only a few of each (just enough to plant a row of each type when the Dream World reopens on October 12th), and import the rest to your game, where at least you know they won't vanish. Plus the element of time is so critical here that you'll always want to plant the seeds of as diverse a crop as possible- if you only concentrate on replicating only one type of berry, your access to all the others will be extremely limited after December 10th.

Last edited:

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
So Global Link is back, but is it just for gen 6 games now or can we still connect with our gen 5 games?

Raro

Hey Everyone, does anyone have a list of what needs to be done by Jan 14th?

Mainly the medals that need to be obtained and Dream World exclusive pokemon / abilities.

Thanks!

Edit: If Game Sync goes offline Dec 10th, does that mean that we won't have access to DW Pokemon anymore?

Last edited:

Runandtell

Hey Everyone, does anyone have a list of what needs to be done by Jan 14th?

Mainly the medals that need to be obtained and Dream World exclusive pokemon / abilities.

Thanks!

Edit: If Game Sync goes offline Dec 10th, does that mean that we won't have access to DW Pokemon anymore?

a lot of them will no longer be available presumably but in gen VI in friend safari you can get DW abilities for a lot of the pokemon

From what I can understand, DW will be restricted to X/Y only, starting from October 12.

....and then DW is permanently killed on December 10, since that's the date where we can't tuck in a Pokemon anymore.

Can I tuck my Pokemon in in X/Y?
I thought DW was already taken down D:

This means X/Y gets to try DW for only a mere 2 months, then what's the point of implementing that feature into X/Y ._.

I guess this also means whatever system X/Y will use to access DW, will be able to access a new feature as well.

From what I can understand, DW will be restricted to X/Y only, starting from October 12.

....and then DW is permanently killed on December 10, since that's the date where we can't tuck in a Pokemon anymore.

Can I tuck my Pokemon in in X/Y?
I thought DW was already taken down D:

joakimthegamer

The Regi Lord
Correct me if i am wrong but they will not shut down the normal online trading service right? I will still be able to trade with people around the world, at least for a while right?

Earendil

Correct me if i am wrong but they will not shut down the normal online trading service right? I will still be able to trade with people around the world, at least for a while right?

Yes, that is correct. The Generation IV and Generation V GTS services will remain active as well.

NightShadow

Um, is the Dream World still accessible? I logged in but I can't switch my game card to Black or White 2, I'm stuck with using Y. Did they shut it down already? Or am I missing something :/

Status
Not open for further replies.