• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Glory Blaze! (519)

lightdash

Dawn and May fan
Excellent dub episode overall. With it, I understand more of Paul's story than I did with the original version. Paul ends up releasing Chimchar after all of that hard work...sad indeed. The tag battle characters were pretty awesome too, haha, comical events. :)

RJF

Could someone explain to me why Paul ordered a direct attack on Turtwig? Was there some kind of tactical reason that I missed that ultimately led them to victory, or was it merely to cement the fact that Paul is a douche and he thought Turtwig was getting in the way?

And speaking of Turtwig, the animators really outdid themselves here. Finally, we see a Grass-type sustain remotely realistic-looking injuries from a fire attack. The little guy really looked ready to drop at the end of the battle. Especially when it stands up when Chimchar is holding back the Fire Blast.

uber gon

Accept Change
Im a 100 percent sure that chimchar is going to evolve to Infernape. Almost the exact same thing is happening like with charmander. Both were abandoned by trainers and both i predict will follow in the same footsteps. I can see chimchar evolving and not listining to ash and monferno evolve because of some huge oppenent and Infernape never does anything ash says until he gains respect.

NONE of us want to see THAT again.

absoluteSoul

Yeah, 421 combos!
Im a 100 percent sure that chimchar is going to evolve to Infernape. Almost the exact same thing is happening like with charmander. Both were abandoned by trainers and both i predict will follow in the same footsteps. I can see chimchar evolving and not listining to ash and monferno evolve because of some huge oppenent and Infernape never does anything ash says until he gains respect.

NONE of us want to see THAT again.

>_> I agree.

Anyways, that episode was great. I'm still irked over the fact that the local channel decided to cut some bits and pieces of the episode (damn it, Toasted TV! Damn, you make me wish I have cable), but it's good that they kept the important scenes.

Man, I really like Paul but... He was a total douche the whole episode. I know he wants to make Chimchar stronger, but putting the poor monkey through so much stress is just too much. Then releasing it by the end of the episode. I'm slightly glad that he did release it because I don't think it's going to last long under Paul's rough training regime. But I'm really happy with Ash right now. Instead of being furious at Paul and shouting at him, he decided that he wanted Chimchar to come along with him... He really handled the situation maturely, IMO. (*sniff* I cried during that scene and my mom was "o_O What are you watching?")

uber gon

Accept Change
>_> I agree.

Anyways, that episode was great. I'm still irked over the fact that the local channel decided to cut some bits and pieces of the episode (damn it, Toasted TV! Damn, you make me wish I have cable), but it's good that they kept the important scenes.

Man, I really like Paul but... He was a total douche the whole episode. I know he wants to make Chimchar stronger, but putting the poor monkey through so much stress is just too much. Then releasing it by the end of the episode. I'm slightly glad that he did release it because I don't think it's going to last long under Paul's rough training regime. But I'm really happy with Ash right now. Instead of being furious at Paul and shouting at him, he decided that he wanted Chimchar to come along with him... He really handled the situation maturely, IMO. (*sniff* I cried during that scene and my mom was "o_O What are you watching?")

Meh, the writers however may NOT have Chimchar give a little "payback" to Paul, though.:(

neo_senku

small thought, did ursaring seem a too eager to blast chimchar with focus blast

Cobalt_Latios

>_> I agree.

Something tells me that C_W is going to be going with this from now on (toasted TV). I may as well go with C_P. Not only did they get the episodes relatively on time, but it was from Cartoon Network. Now I'll have to rewatch this episode again on the other source (thankfully I got it just in case...).

Wow, now this is really something else. I really got to see the way Paul acted towards things, and I really understand the guy more (although, this doesn't make me like him more). What he was trying to do with Chimchar was really something that even ticked off Dawn, considering it wasn't even her partner, not to mention none of her business (I mean that in context, not as an insult).

Also, a showcase of MANY unseen attacks: Focus Blast, Magnet Rise, Bullet Punch, X-Scissor (well I think it was X-Scissor). Basically they showcased tons of very new attacks.

What made me laugh and sort of was "comic relief", was when Holly said this: "I'm just so impressed with Brock. At first I thought he was just flirting with Nurse Joy, but boy was I wrong." Now, what part of that is simply just pure irony? lol!!!

Getting the backstory on Chimchar was particularly interesting, as now I know what's driving Paul.

VA notice: the guy with the Zangoose sounded like Prof. Oak, and therefore was probably Jimmy Zoppi. I'm getting better at this so I think it was him.

Also, for those that have played ToS: doesn't that guy with the Metagross look an awful lot like Kratos? I mean, the cape and the hair are of the right color and shape, so I sure seems like it.

Then, the one scene that basically said: Chimchar, you belong to me now, with Ash giving Chimchar the commands. From that point on, you pretty much know where it's going.

Although, I was hoping Ash would have told Turtwig to use Synthesis. Then again, knowing how Paul works, Ash would've probably got majorly beaten anyways.

And now for my response on the final section of this arc.

~C_L~

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Nice to see the flashback to why Paul caught chimchar if he's so harsh towards it. Too bad that Paul couldn't appreciate Chimchar for the fighter it was. At least he ended up giving it up at the end of this episode. I feel so bad for Chimchar at the end, but at least there's a happy ending.

I also like the Brock/Holly subplot going on through this episode. It made me chuckle when she said that Brock's expertise was like having another Nurse Joy around. LOL

Torpoleon

How could Paul be so Selfish?!?But Chimchar is in good hands now!

DanChimchar

Friends are Diamonds
I really hate Paul how could he treat should a nice Chimchar and a cute one so meanly. But I'm so so so let me repeat SO Happy Chimchar is with ash and is in better hands now

Torpoleon

Even though Chimchar wanted this Paul took it to a whole other level.

DanChimchar

Friends are Diamonds
Yeah
It really showed Chimchar which I loved I hated the scar on chimchars face I was liek so scaried for it and was like Please not make the peremanet
Got to love the holly and brock moments lol

DanChimchar

Friends are Diamonds
Good Point but I just didn't like it if they ahd kept it on I may have gotten use to it

octoboy

I Crush Everything
What worries me is the feeling that this is a good start to a lame ending. I've said it before, I'll say it again, pokemon has a tendency to start the story wonderfully, then crap out towards the end. Especially with sceptile's plot.

It would be all to easy for Ash to evolve chimchar, and have it either outspeed torterra, or defeat it with pure force of emotions (anger towards Paul or love towards Ash). That wouldn't be such a pain if pokemon didn't always do that sort of thing. Pikachu's outsped loads of big guys, and it's got its fair share of "I'll win just because my trainer loves me, and I love him, so I have this unbelievable power out of nowhere". The last thing I want to see is that commonly used victory as an end to this great beginning.

Though unlike sceptile's case, I can't think of a lot of better things to do for the pokemon. I think that's where the anime set itself for disaster. With all the cheap wins before, it's hard to think of a good way to win. The only way besides the aforementioned cheap victories is use of strategy, which was more Paul's style.

So, it looks like the show just might have screwed itself.

*cough* Yes, this episode itself was great. Those zangoose were scary! Also, chimchar' preformance was good. My favourite part was its covering its eyes in fear of the attacking zangoose. These cute, monkeyish antics are exactly why chimchar's my favourite Sinnoh starter.

Oh, and what was with Paul's wanting to find a new fire type? I just wanted to tell him, "Dude, this is Sinnoh, yannow, the cold region! What other fire types are you going to get?" every time he said that.

Oh, and glad to see someone finally took a liking to Brock. It's probably going to easily fall flat though.

Last edited:

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
Great episode, Chimchar was adorable and PAUL IS EVIL!