• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Glory Blaze! (519)

This was a very good episode. However, I felt so bad for Chimchar. I couldn't believe how Paul treated it. And the fact that he released it at the end, it was very sad. I'm very happy that Ash got Chimchar, though.

10/10

Last edited:

Sorren&Rocko

Now managed by Rocko
Sorren: Poor... Chimchar... But don't worry, now it's Ash's and evolved into Infernape. This also refers to Charmander and Tepig's old trainers: Damien and Shamus. Man... That reminds me, I want to battle with Shamus and Elite Four Flint, but Rocko says, "In Your Dreams!" hahahahaha!

zhixun

Recently watch this episode again and I like Shinji's crazy character. That Hikozaru used Flame Wheel deliberately on Naetle is very unusual. We need some character that is very special, so Shinji is definitely one of my favourite in Sinnoh.

Satoshi's love and care is certainly important but I think that Shinji's vigorous training is good to see which reflects my running career. If you do not work hard and sustain the pain then you will never get paid off from training. This type of training brought my 1 mile time in 5 minutes and 5000m time within 17 minutes.

I have to say, that wasn't cool the way Paul just gave up with that battle leaving Ash to command both Chimchar and Turtwig.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
This ranks as one of the best DP episodes imo. I loved the backstory behind Paul and Chimchar and that Paul eventually abandoned it during the match, in which Ash took over. The battle was amazing as well. And It's cool that Ash got Chimchar. 10/10

JudySpell

Banned
Chimchar's past was sad and I was mad when Paul released him since it was a jerk move on his part which made him seem cold-hearted. 7.5/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I liked seeing Paul train his Chimchar even tho he was too harsh on it. Seeing the flashback of how Chimchar first met Paul was cool, and I was surprised when Paul released Chimchar at the end.

Paul seemed kind of evil here with his training methods, so I was happy when Chimchar left his team. He deserved better than to be abused.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
This must the first sample of special training Paul puts his Pokemon through,it might explain why they all have such killer endurance.But Chimchar never fit in the system so it's a good thing it went to Ash,it's also a myth that Paul treated all his other Pokemon the way he treated Chimchar,Elekid never seemed to complain about it at all.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Nice to see the flashback to how Paul caught his Chimchar. Too bad that Paul couldn't appreciate Chimchar for the fighter it was: at least he ended up giving it up at the end of this episode. :x

Alloutℯ

Banned
Chimchar finally getting set free made me so freaking happy. My God, it was needed seeing as how Paul was effectively a slave driver.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Chimchar finally getting set free made me so freaking happy. My God, it was needed seeing as how Paul was effectively a slave driver.

Paul seemed cruel I'll admit, but he wasn't bad per se. His training regimen was just his way of unlocking Chimchar's Blaze, tho I did think he overdid it and that he needed to show more compassion. :[

PokemonKnight

#1 Sylveon Fan
Another example of the writers contriving the universe to avoid punishing Paul. The guy turns his back on his Pokemon in the middle of a tournament battle (tag team to boot, so Paul is also letting down his partner) and there is no consequence. Really? In Hoenn, May is reprimanded for letting her Bulbasaur push on while Paul blatantly gives up and nothing happens?

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Another example of the writers contriving the universe to avoid punishing Paul. The guy turns his back on his Pokemon in the middle of a tournament battle (tag team to boot, so Paul is also letting down his partner) and there is no consequence. Really? In Hoenn, May is reprimanded for letting her Bulbasaur push on while Paul blatantly gives up and nothing happens?

Actually, it is an example that Paul is an exact opposite of Ash. That's the main reason the Ash-Paul rivalry was so intense, Paul contradicted and challenged Ash in every aspect. I would obviously agree that it difficult to like Paul as a character given what he has done, but him contradicting and challenging Ash in every aspect was the reason Ash's ideals came to the fore and their rivalry was so heated.

PokemonKnight

#1 Sylveon Fan
Actually, it is an example that Paul is an exact opposite of Ash. That's the main reason the Ash-Paul rivalry was so intense, Paul contradicted and challenged Ash in every aspect. I would obviously agree that it difficult to like Paul as a character given what he has done, but him contradicting and challenging Ash in every aspect was the reason Ash's ideals came to the fore and their rivalry was so heated.

I agree that it is in-character decision for Paul to do so but that is not my problem with it. I just find it ridiculous that the referee or tournament officials did nothing about it considering it directly went against the spirit of the tournament and Pokemon battling. Then again, Paul got away with removing Chimchar from the hospital despite Nurse Joy's orders and Cynthia basically didn't give two craps that Paul wasn't going to heal his Pokemon after she placed the smackdown on him so obviously, it never mattered to the writers. The implementation of the rules flowed along with the plot.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I found it amusing when Takeshi assisted Joi at the Pokemon Center, and Shinji ordering his team to attack Hikozaru as part of his training regimen was unbelievable. The flashback that showed how Hikozaru defeated a gang of wild Zangoose was great, but the fact that he had to face another Zangoose here felt contrived. Shinji releasing Hikozaru was sad.

Daizy

I call you honey
Paul's sadistic ruthlessness brought him to a new low, but it suited him well. Seeing poor Chimchar's treatment was sure to make everyone feel bad for him especially when the Zangoose hurt him.

Leonhart

Imagineer
When Hikozaru was released, it made me contemplate why Shinji had even kept him for so long given how dissatisfied he had been with Hikozaru on several occasions in Shinou.

Zamin

I really enjoyed the episode. Paul is so horrible to Chimchar, he is such a douchebag. Ash all the way! It was so cute when Ash invited Chimchar to join his team. I wonder who will win the tag team competition. Paul was completely horrible to Chimchar, just because he defended Turtwig from an attack. Also, what was he thinking attacking Turtwig? Grr, that Paul!

Ash asking Chimchar to join his team reminded me of the first season when he gto Charmander who had been abandoned by his trainer.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
This is the cementing of what began in DP040 with Cynthia praising Paul despite his awful treatment of Chimchar simply because his Torterra was powerful. The second Paul sent out Chimchar against the doctor's direct orders, his respect as a Trainer should have vanished from everyone. A total shunning by the entire region. Nurse Joy should have been there to put her foot down and forcibly take Chimchar from him. But no, from here on out, Paul is fully the writers' pet, incapable of losing to Trainers who aren't portrayed as ridiculously powerful. The writers have decided that abusive methods are equivalent to humane methods, despite this being proven wrong time and again in previous regions. The only times abused Pokemon were strong then or since were under literal brainwashing or through shock collars and the like. This episode stains the anime, and the stain only grows darker with each subsequent appearance of Paul.