• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

GO Recent Happenings Thread

quake

Haven't posted in a while so I have some nice updates!

Caught a perfect shiny Cyndaquil and evolved it all the way on the community day. Hatched a shiny wingul but already had one from the wingul event. Caught a shiny Roselia which really surprised me!! Caught a skarmory and that's registered now. Final update is I caught two wild buizel which did confuse me since I thought they were raid only but I'm not complaining!

Fingers crossed Ralts is the December community day with Gallade being made available!

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
46312637_313661562561067_340837038263631872_n.png

It this something to do with pikavee or some new go mechanic cause I don't recognise it as a gen 4 evolutionary item?(but maybe I just forgot about it)

Pluski

46312637_313661562561067_340837038263631872_n.png

It this something to do with pikavee or some new go mechanic cause I don't recognise it as a gen 4 evolutionary item?(but maybe I just forgot about it)

It's a Sinnoh stone, a Go exclusive item meant to replace all the separate evolution items from generation IV.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
And here we have yet another example of Niantic laziness. They couldn't be bothered to make an individual item for each evolution, like they did in Johto, so they just decided lump all of them under one non-existent item. Great going there, Niantic. I wonder how many other ways you'll figure out how to mess up Pokémon lore.

Really, it's the consistency issue that bugs me most. If we had gotten a "Johto Stone," instead of all the Johto evolution items, then I'd be much more embracing towards the Sinnoh Stone. But it just looks sloppy and lazy to have some Pokémon evolve with the correct item, and others with a made up one. This is particularly pronounced in the case of Porygon, which evolves with its proper item into Porygon2, but then with the Sinnoh Stone into Porygon-Z. It makes no sense.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see these Sinnoh evolutions released, but this Sinnoh Stone thing just irks me. On the bright side, the ones they didn't release are Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Ambipomb, Mamoswine, Yanmega, Probopass, Magnezone, Leafeon, and Glaceon, which are the ones that evolve with more gimmicky methods. If those had been evolved with the Sinnoh Stone too, then we would have had some real issues. Hopefully they're not released yet because Niantic is actually taking the time to somehow properly implement the evolutions (not that I have any guess for how they would implement the location-based ones).

Though, I just realized we're also missing Gallade and Frotlass. Not really sure why we're missing those two. Perhaps they'll get their actual item? Not sure why that would be the case for them and not the others, but at least it would be something.

Last edited:

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
And here we have yet another example of Niantic laziness. They couldn't be bothered to make an individual item for each evolution, like they did in Johto, so they just decided lump all of them under one non-existent item. Great going there, Niantic. I wonder how many other ways you'll figure out how to mess up Pokémon lore.

Really, it's the consistency issue that bugs me most. If we had gotten a "Johto Stone," instead of all the Johto evolution items, then I'd be much more embracing towards the Sinnoh Stone. .

The main reason is just how many items there would have to be. With Johto, there were only a few items to collect and even then, some players had a difficult time getting them because they'd get duplicate of items (like my 7 Up grades). Imagine how that would be on the scale of Sinnoh which has many different methods of evolution. I imagine were the Sinnoh Stone not the case that people would be complaining trying to get a crap ton of evolution items while they kept getting one or two without getting others. You can call it what you like, but I wouldn't call this lazy, just trying to avoid the backlash of trying to collect so many rare items that are guaranteed only after seven days of consecutive poke stop spinning.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I love this method of evolution! Saving time to collect items =/= laziness. I'd imagine Froslass and Mamoswine will be saved for December to tie in with Christmas at least.

Onto the recent things, me am sad because, while I finally got the chance to catch a stronger legendary Pokemon in the form of Giratina for the first time, it ran away from me after I failed to catch it. It kind of hurts. =(

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The main reason is just how many items there would have to be. With Johto, there were only a few items to collect and even then, some players had a difficult time getting them because they'd get duplicate of items (like my 7 Up grades). Imagine how that would be on the scale of Sinnoh which has many different methods of evolution. I imagine were the Sinnoh Stone not the case that people would be complaining trying to get a crap ton of evolution items while they kept getting one or two without getting others. You can call it what you like, but I wouldn't call this lazy, just trying to avoid the backlash of trying to collect so many rare items that are guaranteed only after seven days of consecutive poke stop spinning.

Not everything should be easy. It's okay to have something that's difficult. Most dedicated players probably have neough Candy to automatically evolve everything, so the hunt for the item becomes the driving force of game play when you want to evolve the item-based evolutions, instead of the hunt for the candy. We should have something to drive us to play for longer periods of time. If that means spending months trying to get a specific item, so be it.

Regardless, there are other ways to handle your perceived problem. One extremely simple solution would be to make evolution items more common. Then it doesn't matter if you get duplicates, because it won't be long until you find the next item. That's probably what they should have done, if you ask me. There are other, more complicated possibilities too. They could give away each item as special research reward, so you can aim to get one of each item. They could make different items obtainable from different methods, and more. So really, as far as I can tell, the only reason Niantic had to things they way they did is either because they didn't want to bother making all the new items, or they didn't want to bother changing the way the system works now.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Now I'm ticked off. Just went through a handful of different Pokeballs (just Great and regular...) and a dang Vulpix ran from me after breaking free every time. This is with a handful of berries as well. Not too happy right now. This is with some Nice throws and Great ones as well with regular ones.

Is it just me or did they make Pokemon harder to catch again?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Now I'm ticked off. Just went through a handful of different Pokeballs (just Great and regular...) and a dang Vulpix ran from me after breaking free every time. This is with a handful of berries as well. Not too happy right now. This is with some Nice throws and Great ones as well with regular ones.

Is it just me or did they make Pokemon harder to catch again?
What was that even? Sometime ago I think something similar happened to a Slugma. I caught it but I released it under frustration.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
What was that even? Sometime ago I think something similar happened to a Slugma. I caught it but I released it under frustration.
I know... swear it's mainly with rarer Pokemon. Caught a common one with no real problem (a bug type Pokemon). Kind of sucks since Vulpix rarely spawns where I'm at.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I know... swear it's mainly with rarer Pokemon. Caught a common one with no real problem (a bug type Pokemon). Kind of sucks since Vulpix rarely spawns where I'm at.

Vulpix breaks out a lot for me too, so it's not just you. Ugh, I don't even want to think about that previous update. Couldn't catch anything, let alone Pidgey or Rattata. I hope they don't accidentally set it back to that.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Vulpix breaks out a lot for me too, so it's not just you. Ugh, I don't even want to think about that previous update. Couldn't catch anything, let alone Pidgey or Rattata. I hope they don't accidentally set it back to that.
Good to see I'm not alone on that one. Strange... I didn't run into too much issues with that one, minus one strange Venomoth. Pokeballs went past it. O_O

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It happens with me sometimes with Vulpix but not as often. I catch the higher level ones fine without Berries but some break out a number of times.

Xionea

Half a centaur
Finished my 7 day Research Task, got rewarded with a Sinnoh Stone, that was nice. I almost used it to get a Roserade, but I'm gonna hold off on that one for later in case I get a shiny Roselia, but I'll do it if I get more Sinnoh Stones than evolutions so far. Ended up getting Rhyperior instead cause it's probably pretty good in fighting gyms if Rhydon is anything to go off of.

As for the Sinnoh Stones themselves, I'm on the fence with it. On one hand, this is easily the best choice they could have done with all the new evolution tactics without making us get like 7 different evolution items. However, I don't think all of the new evolutions NEED the Sinnoh Stone. Like, you don't need a Leaf Stone to evolve a Weepinbell, or a Fire Stone to evolve a Growlithe, or a Link Cable item to evolve a Kadabra. At the moment, the only ones we can evolve right now are ones that originally need a stone or item to evolve them, so you can very easily omit Murkrow, Misdreivous, Togetic, and Roselia from the list and just use candy to evolve them. The Pokemon that need certain moves to evolve may not need the item (but they probably will, lets be real here). It'll make a lot more sense if the Sinnoh Stone is used to get split evolutions like Gallade and Froslass, similar to how we get Bellossom and Politoed.
But with all that said, it's a tactic to keep us playing without filling our Pokedex immediately anyways, so it's just pointless complaining on my end lol.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Good news: got an egg...

Bad news: it's not an event 2 km egg, it's a 10 km one (swear they always show up at the worst times sometimes! :p)

Also got a couple of gifts today, fought and took over a Gym and got some items.

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
I tried to take over a gym before a raid today, but only managed to clear the gym out, so there was a Giratina raid going on in an unoccupied, white gym. At least whoever was in the gym didn’t get their extra hour’s worth of coins! Probably Valor. I saved my research tasks, so I don’t need to play for a few days, which is good, because we’re now in the snow phase of the year. Still a few days away from my 7 days though.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Good news: got an egg...

Bad news: it's not an event 2 km egg, it's a 10 km one (swear they always show up at the worst times sometimes! :p)

Also got a couple of gifts today, fought and took over a Gym and got some items.
Oh. I am trying to hatch 7 km Eggs and I only hatched Pichu so far. The last 10 km Egg I hatched was a Bagon Egg and I didn’t regret it. But still I would like to hatch shiny Magby and Elekid.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Oh. I am trying to hatch 7 km Eggs and I only hatched Pichu so far. The last 10 km Egg I hatched was a Bagon Egg and I didn’t regret it. But still I would like to hatch shiny Magby and Elekid.
Ah can relate. Working on a 7 km one right now. Did 4,000 odd steps and Go only counted 1,000 of them... as I was in a car. So I guess the other parts of them were from moving too fast.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Ah can relate. Working on a 7 km one right now. Did 4,000 odd steps and Go only counted 1,000 of them... as I was in a car. So I guess the other parts of them were from moving too fast.
True though. I am still working on another 7 km Egg. It takes a while and I can do so in a several hour walk.