• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

GO Recent Happenings Thread

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I now have a Lugia and I also caught two Moltes and one Zapdos. A while back I caught three Articunos.

I finally hatched my first Chansey out of a 10k egg. I evolved my Quilava as well. I've had a great week in Pokémon Go.

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
I only really need 13 more Pokemon before I complete my Pokedex (excluding legendaries unreleased and region-exclusives). However, they all require either luck of the hatch or so many candies (of those, they're almost all 5km buddy Pokemon) that I'm just waiting for the next event to happen (a sudden Mareep infestation, perhaps?!).

Vipsoccermaster

This past weekend, I went to Anaheim (I live about 50 minutes away) both Saturday and Sunday. Had a very productive weekend for Pokémon GO. Caught five Kangaskhan (exclusive to Australia), for they appeared in Anaheim for The Pokémon Worlds Championship 2017. Was also able to catch all six letters of Unown while there, too (W, O, R, L, D, and S). For Saturday, I attempted a Legendary Raid for Articuno, and I was able to defeat it and catch it, with a free pass from a previous day! For Sunday, I was able to take on Moltres and Zapdos raids with ease (all raids were easy to have 20 people in a group). Unfortunately, I was not able to catch Zapdos nor Moltres. Both of these raids were from a free pass, one from Saturday and one from Sunday. Unfortunate, but I still hope to have one sometime, but I don't think I will at this rate since they'll be gone in just 10 days. Haven't gotten to a Lugia raid, either.

Productive weekend at Anaheim. Major points for being able to get a regional Pokémon outside of the United States (Kangaskhan for Australia), six Unown letters, and even an Articuno.

jacensolo66

Took catching 15 Zapdos but I finally got one over 90%(91%). Then #16 was 93%. Kind of Zapdos'd out at this point.

Also caught my 2nd shiny Magikarp. It had better stats then the 1st so I evolved it to get a red Gyrados.

Vipsoccermaster

Took on a Level 2 Exeggutor Raid. Took a few tries until I should be constantly hitting with super-effective moves. Successfully defeated the boss and caught it in just one ball. But it wasn't a good one anyway, so I transferred it, plus, I already have a few good ones. Easy XP (3,500 XP), got two Super Potions, two Revives, two Golden Razz Berries, and one Fast TM.

Hatched a few eggs, but one of them is note-worthy: Hatched my first ever 100% IV Pokémon of the game: Pichu! Unfortunately, no Ash-hat (egg was very new, as in a day or two old), nor was it shiny.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Anybody here have some tips for catching Articuno? I've tried seven times in total and no luck on any of them. I have the other three legendaries, but Articuno apparently hates me and won't let me catch it. : (

I'm trying to level up my Ice-type catch bonus today (currently at 39/50) before going raiding with some friends tomorrow, so hopefully that will help. Otherwise I don't know what I'm going to do before all the birds leave on the 31st.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Anybody here have some tips for catching Articuno? I've tried seven times in total and no luck on any of them. I have the other three legendaries, but Articuno apparently hates me and won't let me catch it. : (

I'm trying to level up my Ice-type catch bonus today (currently at 39/50) before going raiding with some friends tomorrow, so hopefully that will help. Otherwise I don't know what I'm going to do before all the birds leave on the 31st.

I always wait until just as Articuno floats back down from the top of the screen because it won't attack during that time frame, but that's just me. Hope that helps!

Well, I finally got Lugia. Not the best, but I don't care! Finally!! Also had some of the strangest luck ever (that probably won't happen again); a random Snorlax spawned near me, so my mom and I ran to catch it and we did. We went to dinner and on the way back, there was another Snorlax nearby. That's 2 of 5 Snorlax I've ever seen in the game and it happened within an hour of each other. Weird stuff.

Also hatched my first Porygon, so now I can work on getting Porygon 2. That leaves just Kabutops, Machamp, and Aerodactyl as the only non regional gen 1 Pokemon I need left.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Be patient, and try to wait to throw your Pokéball until after the Pokémon has finished its attack animation. Also, try to use curve balls if you can. A curveball gives you an even bigger chance of catching it than a great throw does alone. If you can get curveball, great throw, with a Golden Razz Berry, your odds won't be that bad. But if you can't consistently throw curveballs, then your better off not wasting the balls and going for great and excellent straight throws, but practice curveballing on random Pokémon. I couldn't do curveballs when the Legendaries were first released, but after a month of practice, I'm getting alright at it. And, in case it isn't obvious, always use Golden Razz Berries if you have them.

I get your stress though. I still don't have a Lugia after all of this time. It's very disappointing thinking I only have a few days left.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Be patient, and try to wait to throw your Pokéball until after the Pokémon has finished its attack animation. Also, try to use curve balls if you can. A curveball gives you an even bigger chance of catching it than a great throw does alone. If you can get curveball, great throw, with a Golden Razz Berry, your odds won't be that bad. But if you can't consistently throw curveballs, then your better off not wasting the balls and going for great and excellent straight throws, but practice curveballing on random Pokémon. I couldn't do curveballs when the Legendaries were first released, but after a month of practice, I'm getting alright at it. And, in case it isn't obvious, always use Golden Razz Berries if you have them.

I get your stress though. I still don't have a Lugia after all of this time. It's very disappointing thinking I only have a few days left.

I always wait until just as Articuno floats back down from the top of the screen because it won't attack during that time frame, but that's just me. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the advice! I do tend to get impatient when trying to catch the legendaries, so I'll try waiting until it stops attacking/moving before I throw. I've been practicing curveballs too, but a lot of times when I try it on Articuno, I throw too hard and the ball goes past it. Guess I just gotta keep my nerves in check haha. I've also heard that alternating between Nanab and Golden Razz berries increases your chances as well. It worked for me on Zapdos and Lugia, but not so much the others. Hopefully with all of this in mind I'll finally get my Articuno tomorrow. Good luck on your quests!

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I've also heard that alternating between Nanab and Golden Razz berries increases your chances as well. It worked for me on Zapdos and Lugia, but not so much the others.

This trick is completely unconfirmed, and if it worked for you, odds are you just got lucky, as proven by it not working on Articuno. I personally would never risk trying it on the small chance that it does work, as you would be majorly decreasing your chances at catching it by using Nanab Berries instead of Golden Razz Berries. It's just not worth the risk unless the rumor is proven true beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
This trick is completely unconfirmed, and if it worked for you, odds are you just got lucky, as proven by it not working on Articuno. I personally would never risk trying it on the small chance that it does work, as you would be majorly decreasing your chances at catching it by using Nanab Berries instead of Golden Razz Berries. It's just not worth the risk unless the rumor is proven true beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I was about to say the same thing. There's quite a few videos on Youtube going through and debunking this claim. I always use Golden Razz Berries, but since the last premier ball is glitched and can only capture the Pokemon if it's a critical capture, I throw a Nanab Berry on the last one. Hopefully they'll fix that glitch sooner or later, but good luck to you and your Articuno escapades!

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Well, turns out there was only one Articuno that showed up in the area in 6 hours of hunting today, and there was absolutely no one around for it. : ( I did raids for each of the other legendaries, but didn't catch any of them (to be fair, I wasn't trying that hard to catch them, since I have them all and I was trying to save Golden Razz berries for an Articuno). Thanks to all who gave advice, it's much appreciated! I was really hoping that berry trick worked lol, too bad it seems like it's just a rumor.

Edit: 0 for 8 on Articuno now. I can't throw curveballs at legendaries to save my life. At least I leveled up to 29 finally.

Edit 2: I FINALLY CAUGHT IT!!! Took 11 tries but Articuno is finally mine (and it's 97.8% too)! I'm so relieved I don't have to worry about trying to catch one tonight or tomorrow morning. I also caught a Tangela yesterday, so my Gen 1 Pokedex (minus Farfetch'd, Mr. Mime, Mewtwo and Mew) is complete!

Thanks again to Bguy7, Cometstarlight and jacensolo66 for the advice and encouragement!

Last edited:

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
Today I went 2/2 on Raikou with my best one being 1893 so I was very happy about that. I also built a page that lists all gyms in my local area because some places are very hard to find on Google Maps.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Well, turns out there was only one Articuno that showed up in the area in 6 hours of hunting today, and there was absolutely no one around for it. : ( I did raids for each of the other legendaries, but didn't catch any of them (to be fair, I wasn't trying that hard to catch them, since I have them all and I was trying to save Golden Razz berries for an Articuno). Thanks to all who gave advice, it's much appreciated! I was really hoping that berry trick worked lol, too bad it seems like it's just a rumor.

Edit: 0 for 8 on Articuno now. I can't throw curveballs at legendaries to save my life. At least I leveled up to 29 finally.

Edit 2: I FINALLY CAUGHT IT!!! Took 11 tries but Articuno is finally mine (and it's 97.8% too)! I'm so relieved I don't have to worry about trying to catch one tonight or tomorrow morning. I also caught a Tangela yesterday, so my Gen 1 Pokedex (minus Farfetch'd, Mr. Mime, Mewtwo and Mew) is complete!

Thanks again to Bguy7, Cometstarlight and jacensolo66 for the advice and encouragement!

Congrats!! Glad you were able to snag it on the way out and a nice one at that! From what I've been told, the Legendary Beasts are easier to hit (mainly because they're not flying all over the screen), but they are 2% catch rates like Lugia.

Vipsoccermaster

Hatched my second 100% IV Pokémon this morning, as it was a Porygon this time. And did a Tyranitar raid with ease, but failed to catch because Tyranitar was being feisty. Took on a Moltres raid and a Zapdos raid last Friday, was able to beat both. Failed to catch Moltres, but was able to catch Zapdos. It wasn't a very good one in terms of IV, but at least I have one. Still no Raikou yet, but I hope to get one before the beast migrates to a different area of the planet.

Dragon trainer

Arise from the Ashes
I'm Lv26 and got all birds by the official last day and caught Entei yesterday got a glitch on one earlier but was a free pass so meh if was a premium I would be annoyed. I had to email Niantic cause of loads of errored out of 3/4 Lugia and Zapdos so got back those been doing a few level 1 raids and epically failed on a level 2 on a own so need more better pokemon.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Was able to get my first Tyranitar today! Doesn't have the best moves (I really need TMs of all kinds. I haven't gotten them in ages), but I'm just happy I got one! Especially since I failed my first Raikou raid earlier this week. I know he'll be here for a month, but I just want to make sure I get one. Also it looks like Egg timers are back which I have mixed feelings about. I like having only one legendary so we know what's in the 5 star egg and we're able to fight for the gym in order to get more balls, but...going from two hour raids back to one hour really sucks. It made things a lot more flexible and that's kinda crunched now. Maybe something will be done about it in the future.

As for hatches, I hatched two Togepi in a row, which is great because I need all the candy I can get for Togetic XD

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I've been just playing the game for fun. No luck with raids as there's no one in the area to go on them with :(. But I tried my luck against a Moltres, a Gengar and a Magmar for the heck of it.

Vipsoccermaster

Today, I did a Raikou raid with a group and was able to beat it with about 10 seconds remaining (I think everyone had to rejoin once, me included). And I was able to catch it on about my third throw, with a Nice! bonus. It's not perfect, but it is the best legendary for me in terms of IVs and CP. I'm just glad that I have a Raikou now. On to Entei and Suicune, when they come to North America, that is. There was another Raikou before this one that I went to, but no one was around for that one, so I ignored it after a bit.

For hatches, I hatched my second Snorlax. Not perfect, but my appraisal says the stats are all equal, which is something. They're 11; I checked. Also hatched an Oddish and a Gastly, none were good (they were, but I just didn't deem them worthy enough) and transferred them. Got 11 candy each out of them both. Been using my infinity incubator on the 10km eggs (which I shouldn't be doing, but I wanted to) that I had since late July and throughout August. Still have three 10km eggs from August (one is currently incubating), so now I'm filling up my early September eggs with 5kms.