• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

GO Recent Happenings Thread

I went for a walk last night and hatched a 10k egg that happened to be a Beldum. It gave me the Candies I needed to evolve my Metang and register Metagross to my Dex. I'm also finally getting close to being able to register Wailord! I'm at roughy 375 Wailmer Candies!

My new Pokedex total is 330.
146 Kanto, 87 Johto, and 97 Hoenn.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I went for a walk last night and hatched a 10k egg that happened to be a Beldum. It gave me the Candies I needed to evolve my Metang and register Metagross to my Dex. I'm also finally getting close to being able to register Wailord! I'm at roughy 375 Wailmer Candies!

My new Pokedex total is 330.
146 Kanto, 87 Johto, and 97 Hoenn.
Too cool! Nice hatch.

Up to around 280 odd Magikarp candies. Trying to get up to around 300. Then I'll only have around 100 to go.

Working on hatching another 2km egg.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
It finally happened. After nearly two years of POGO, my mom has finally gotten a Lapras. Celebrations were in order.

For real, I'm glad they put in that task. Don't know why it wasn't in there at the start of the event. Anyway, got a pretty decent Swampert to register in the pokedex and I'm nearly there for Lombre and Ludicolo! After that, I'll move on to either Slakoth or Ralts because 10k hatches are the only ones I have left for gen 3 at this point.

Of course, if I could finally get a Girafarig, that'd be awesome too XD, still a work a process. Either way, optimistic about how this trading update is going to work out!

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
So guess who hatched a Girafarig today?

On a more serious note, I'm trying to save up coins for incubators (super or not) for the next community day. I've come to a problem, though. I don't know if I should try hatching all my eggs I have now (which will take at least a week to do, since I only have the infinity-cubator) and just not use Poke Stops for fear of getting 5km eggs, or should I max out my egg count and not hatch them so that I can continue to use Poke Stops and just accept that I'll have to use up one use of each incubator on community day? I just ideally want 9 10km eggs on community day that I can hatch in an hour's walk, because I'm only gonna have 2 hours to spend on the event anyway.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
So Squirtle is July's community day, not surprising at all, but nonetheless very exciting!

Obviously it's special move will be Hydro Cannon which is going to be nice, but it's not going to bump Blastoise into relevance in the meta.

Friends system should be rolling out very soon, I'm assuming tomorrow after the Water Festival retires. Can't wait since this means Alolans and trading will be making their official debut!

Speaking of official debut, it's likely that the Regis will be arriving tomorrow as well. They'll probably be doing the whole regional bit like they've done in the past. If that's the case I'm hoping the U.S. gets Regice, since that one is my favorite of the trio and it'd be awesome to finally get a good Ice type.

Managed to hatch a 100% Mudkip a couple days ago! Was super stoked to get that one, especially since Swampert is a powerhouse of a Water-starter. Still no shiny Shellder though :/ Hopefully I'll get lucky tomorrow before the Water Festival leaves!

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
A couple days ago I hatched a perfect Feebas so I have been walking that to get enough candy to evolve it. I also have 2 people as friends in the game and have given one gift so far. I haven't received any gifts, but I didn't add them until after 11pm last night due to work.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
On the last few days, I got around to play Pokémon GO after a long time not playing it. I caught a couple of Water-type Pokémon in the Water Festival especially a Magikarp, some Barboach, a Corphish, some Mudkip and some others. After the Water Festival ended, I caught some more non-Water-type Pokémon and I got around to put a Pidgeot and a Sandslash in two separate Gyms. I got 50 coins after Pidgeot came back.

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
I registered 35 random local people via them posting their friend code on Facebook, and within the hour, 5 of them gifted me something. I feel bad that I don't have any gifts to give back and, due to the rain, won't be able to today either. My egg space is now full of Alolan eggs.

Vroomer

edit: made 2 friends from here. Thanks! Need to get each of you a gift now!

I’ve just been doing my dailies. Got my 3rd Articuno yesterday.

Last edited:

MattySadler

Happy at the introduction of trading and this new "Friend" system, although I'm fairly certain I'm the only person in Wolverhampton still playing at this point.

Vroomer

I’m not happy about the 100m limit on trading. If you’re my friend & you’re 1000’s of miles away, that shouldn’t matter.

We also need a Pokémon Go Wonder Trade feature. I love me some Wonder Trade!

Got all my friends gifts. Not opening gifts until I clear out this egg spot. Got 2 Alola eggs cookin. Live is good.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I’m not happy about the 100m limit on trading. If you’re my friend & you’re 1000’s of miles away, that shouldn’t matter.

The thing is, Pokémon Go is a game based around two things, collecting Pokémon and walking. In addition, Niantic wants it to be about interacting with other players. If you could trade from anywhere, then why would anyone bother to go out and walk to hunt for rare stuff when they could sit on their couch and search the trade options instead? This would both mess with Go's economy and gameplay, as well as run counter to Niantic's desire to have players interact with each other. On top of that, if you could trade from anywhere, you would also have botters and spoofers handing out free rare/powerful Pokémon and/or selling them, destroying the economy of Go even further. The way things are now is really the only way trading could be implemented without completely messing up the game, so it was pretty much this or nothing.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
then why would anyone bother to go out and walk to hunt for rare stuff when they could sit on their couch and search the trade options instead?
because it costs a lot of stardust to trade for a Pokemon you don't have in your dex

really the distance thing is pretty pointless it's not going to stop people from spoofing or sharing accounts with people in other countries to get regionals and event Pokemon.

imo they should've allowed long distance trading but tack on to the stardust cost for how far away the trade is being made. like a normal pokemon you don't yet have in your dex costs a standard of 20k stardust to trade. say for every 100km it tacks on another 100 or so stardust to the total cost w/ no discount

bam, destroys the point of spoofing and account trading and gives players the incentive to make friends and socialize with people all around the world and also makes players go out and catch Pokemon/participate in events and raids to accumulate stardust to make trades

plus, the IVs change. My mom traded a 91% Lapras to my brother and it became like a ~40%

my brother traded me a Chimecho bc I didn't have one and it dropped from 76% down to 24%

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
because it costs a lot of stardust to trade for a Pokemon you don't have in your dex

Getting new Pokémon isn't the only thing that trading could be used to bypass. Let's say you have one low-level Salamence, but you want a powerful one for gyms. If you could trade from anywhere, then it would be much easier to just search the trade options for an already powered-up Salamence than to grind Bagon candies to power up the one you have already. It only costs 100 stardust to trade a normal Pokémon like Salamence that you already own.

really the distance thing is pretty pointless it's not going to stop people from spoofing or sharing accounts with people in other countries to get regionals and event Pokemon.

It's not going to stop it, but it at least makes it harder for said people to distribute their ill-gained Pokémon.

imo they should've allowed long distance trading but tack on to the stardust cost for how far away the trade is being made. like a normal pokemon you don't yet have in your dex costs a standard of 20k stardust to trade. say for every 100km it tacks on another 100 or so stardust to the total cost w/ no discount

bam, destroys the point of spoofing and account trading and gives players the incentive to make friends and socialize with people all around the world and also makes players go out and catch Pokemon/participate in events and raids to accumulate stardust to make trades

The thing is, you wouldn't really be socializing with anyone. You'd anonymously trade friend codes over the internet, and then swap Pokémon without ever once saying an actual word to the person at the other end. The way the system is now, you have to actually meet the person you're trading with face-to-face, which is exactly what Niantic wants people to do. Interactions over the internet means nothing to them.

I'm not saying I'm completely against your proposal, but it doesn't mesh with Niantic's vision at all. Though, I do question if it still might be a little too much on the game-breaking side. It wouldn't be completely so, but I see the potential for it. The biggest problem I see with it is that it would allow for spoofers/botters to set up shops were they literally sell rare and powerful Pokémon for money. Right now, the short distance rule makes this impossible to do on a large scale, but as soon as you open things up to long distance, that will quickly become a problem.

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
I did two Regice raids today. Failed both of them. This has long ago stopped being funny. And yes, we are separating groups into teams to maximize Premier Ball count. Doesn't help. All Golden Razz Berry Nice or Great Curve throws. And even the stuff I get from winning raids, I get from Poke Stops to begin with (no TMs, no candies). I did a trade today (Azurill for a Lotad) and registered 2 new friends. I'm using my Plus to actively try to burn through all my excess Poke Balls, and I'm finding that the capture likelihood is lower than 50%. I'm still trying to find Lunatone and Absol. I have 17 candies now. I'm working on my Lombre, hoping that I'll find enough Feebas during whatever event that is to evolve it without having to walk it any further or use candies on it, but I'm wondering if I should use those candies on my Metang instead. It still needs a lot more than Lombre (60 vs. 50), but using a candy on it erases 5km off my to-do list compared to using a candy on Lombre and erasing 3km. I need to get rid of those candies soon though. I don't want to waste coins increasing my inventory space, and I'm constantly capping out daily now. I'm actually not having a hard time finding at least one person to send me a gift daily, though I don't know if I'm actually gonna see them in person ever (I'm sending back gifts whenever I can). And that's been my day.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Getting new Pokémon isn't the only thing that trading could be used to bypass. Let's say you have one low-level Salamence, but you want a powerful one for gyms. If you could trade from anywhere, then it would be much easier to just search the trade options for an already powered-up Salamence than to grind Bagon candies to power up the one you have already. It only costs 100 stardust to trade a normal Pokémon like Salamence that you already own.

It's not going to stop it, but it at least makes it harder for said people to distribute their ill-gained Pokémon.

The thing is, you wouldn't really be socializing with anyone. You'd anonymously trade friend codes over the internet, and then swap Pokémon without ever once saying an actual word to the person at the other end. The way the system is now, you have to actually meet the person you're trading with face-to-face, which is exactly what Niantic wants people to do. Interactions over the internet means nothing to them.

I'm not saying I'm completely against your proposal, but it doesn't mesh with Niantic's vision at all. Though, I do question if it still might be a little too much on the game-breaking side. It wouldn't be completely so, but I see the potential for it. The biggest problem I see with it is that it would allow for spoofers/botters to set up shops were they literally sell rare and powerful Pokémon for money. Right now, the short distance rule makes this impossible to do on a large scale, but as soon as you open things up to long distance, that will quickly become a problem.
That would be one flaw, yes

but it's already been fixed by IV/CP randomization. were you unaware of that? you're not guaranteed to get a 100% if it currently is a 100%, in fact you're more than likely to drop it below 50% that's the cost of trading, and the likelihood someone is willing to trade a Salamence for another Salamence just to play an extreme game of chance isn't too high unless both parties have a trash Salamence and have nothing to lose

plus, you can't trade back or trade traded pokemon to anyone else

non-issue~

no? it's literally making it easier for them. now you can just contact a spoofer, have them spoof to your location and trade their 'ill-gained' pokemon to you. w/o range restrictions there would be literally no reason for anyone to contact a spoofer or try to spoof.

you're not socializing anymore than you would before. my brother and i literally just shared codes with people via discord and now we just do the normal stuff and with the IV/CP changes nobody in our discord is trading with anybody unless it's for a Pokemon they need/don't have

niantic just wants money can we literally be honest here? trading with other people lessens the chances people will spend money on items they need for raids, hatching eggs, and other activities in the game.

to the game-breaking part just reread the first thing I said

and again that point is moot because you'd literally be able to trade with people from other countries to get the pokemon you want for a pokemon they want such as Tauros for Mr. Mime, Relicanth for Tropius, etc... Limiting it just makes it easier for spoofers to open a black market in their local area.

there's absolutely no reason to back Niantic up on this at all

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
So I caught a bunch of Pokémon today including Numel, Taillow, Aron and Whismur and I even caught a Kadabra. I also became friends with a real life friend but we didn’t trade or exchange any gifts. Also I got 50 more coins from Sandslash coming back and I also had a level up today. And Eevee gave me one Eevee candy.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
but it's already been fixed by IV/CP randomization. were you unaware of that? you're not guaranteed to get a 100% if it currently is a 100%, in fact you're more than likely to drop it below 50% that's the cost of trading, and the likelihood someone is willing to trade a Salamence for another Salamence just to play an extreme game of chance isn't too high unless both parties have a trash Salamence and have nothing to lose

When I said strong, I was talking about level, not IVs. Let's be honest here, IVs give such a small boost that they are only important if you're looking for a trophy, or are in an extremely specific need of the extra bit of damage/HP/bulk in a battle. A low IV, but high level Salamence is still a powerful Pokémon. It takes a lot of candy and Star Dust to boost a Pokémon's level, and it takes effort to earn that candy and dust. It takes little effort to search the online trades.

no? it's literally making it easier for them. now you can just contact a spoofer, have them spoof to your location and trade their 'ill-gained' pokemon to you. w/o range restrictions there would be literally no reason for anyone to contact a spoofer or try to spoof.

Hmm, I guess I hadn't considered that. Either way, spoofers still benefit, but at least the current system still stops botters. And there would still be reason to trade with spoofers if there was no range limit, as the spoofers have bigger collections, and are likely more likely to trade them for cheap, due to how easy they got the Pokémon in the first place. They'd be like the discount store.

you're not socializing anymore than you would before. my brother and i literally just shared codes with people via discord and now we just do the normal stuff and with the IV/CP changes nobody in our discord is trading with anybody unless it's for a Pokemon they need/don't have

But if you want to trade with someone, you have to meet them face-to-face. That's where the socializing comes in.

niantic just wants money can we literally be honest here? trading with other people lessens the chances people will spend money on items they need for raids, hatching eggs, and other activities in the game.

Of course they want money, that's why they made Go in the first place. I never denied that. But look to the last word sentence you said, and replace "spend money on items" with "spend the time." Both statements would be true. While Niantic wants your money, they also want you to play the game in the first place. Whenever I called something game-breaking, what I meant was that it's something that would lead to you spending less time playing the game, and to Niantic, that means less money.

And, just because they want money, doesn't mean they don't want other things. They've made clear that they have the goal of getting people to go outside and interact with each other. The fact that they want to make money, just as any other company does, does not mean that they don't care about anything else.

to the game-breaking part just reread the first thing I said

Sorry, not sure I'm seeing what you want to say.

and again that point is moot because you'd literally be able to trade with people from other countries to get the pokemon you want for a pokemon they want such as Tauros for Mr. Mime, Relicanth for Tropius, etc... Limiting it just makes it easier for spoofers to open a black market in their local area.

Better local black markets than global ones.