• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Go Towards Your Dream! Ash and Go!! (1109)

dman_dustin

I wonder if Ash jumping so high, isn't because Seiya was necessarily that strong (since I can't imagine stronger opponents specifically targeting weaker opponents), but perhaps as an effect of beating Visquez. Unless we use the trope of a decent ranked character trying to stop upcoming newbies by crushing them miserably, but Seiya didn't seem like he was that type of trainer.

After all Visquez was around 2000, when Ash beat her, his rank didn't reach that level, but maybe it was impressive enough that Ash beating someone around his rank (Seiya) proved to the judges that it wasn't a fluke that Ash beat Visquez so that they could properly give him the rank he should've gotten for defeating Visquez in the way that he did. (Remember I do think it was hinted at HOW you battle also affects your ranking not just simply defeating an opponent (though I'm sure this only applies to lower classes like normal, I'm sure the higher rank you are, the more it does become about just defeating the opponent).

So it was probably a combination of defeating Visquez the way he did and the sheer gap difference they started with, and defeating the trainer's Meganium that proved he deserved the rank he got. Perhaps as an addition, Seiya did say that no one was able to survive a solarbeam, perhaps that was taken into consideration, like maybe Seiya wasn't that high of a rank, he did lose some battles, but any time a Pokemon directly connected with solar beam also got knocked out, perhaps being the first to survive the solar beam, indicated that Ash's Pikachu was a higher tier Pokemon and thus they reflected the rank as appropriate (because only Pokemon of that rank and higher could've theoretically survived the solarbeam). It could also be because Ash is using a Pikachu (electric type) and it defeating Meganium (Grass type) and the impressiveness of winning also boosted the rank to what it is.

OR it's completely random, and it has nothing to do with anything (AKA the writers just making stuff up). Thus Ash could lose to someone one rank below him, and then get shot down to rank 2500.

I heard that Uri Geller has warmed up to Kadabra recently. Is that not true?

There's presumably a facebook post in 2016, where Uri Geller seems to be more open about Kadabra, if its actually him, he doesn't seem as hostile as the lawsuit would have you believe.

BUT since it was 2016 and I haven't heard anything and I'm sure it would be big news, it doesn't seem like the whole thing has been dismissed, otherwise Kadabra would start showing up in the anime and TCG.

So maybe he's lukewarm about it, but he still hasn't given Nintendo his blessing and presumably dropping the lawsuit (which apparently last I heard is still going on, its just sitting in comparison to a video games analogy "development hell").

Last edited:

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
I don't think that Gou will actually catch em all in this series. Since no companion has reached their goal in the series they were featured in. Instead I think he will continue working towards his goal off-screen after he and Ash go different ways at the end of this series.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Decent episode. I liked the battle as it somehow did the impossible of making Meganium look appealing.

Liked seeing more of Raboot

Go as a character is fine but his goal just bores me whenever the episode puts focus on his catches

7/10.

Eddieursa

Marsh Trainer
After capturing Farfetch'd, Go officially has as many Pokemon Species as Ash currently has at Oak's Lab; not counting his Extra Tauros. Now, if only instead of capturing more Pokemon like crazy, he would train some of them to make them evolve.

By the way, Farfetch'd was funny. I mean, "Three Strikes: You're out!".

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
Having more than one Pidgeot in that scene is actually more foreshadowing than having single Pidgeot. This could mean that some of the Pidgeottoes of that flock have evolved and any of them could take the place of a leader in case Ash's Pidgeot decides to go back to his trainer!

With regards to Go's aim of catching all the pokemon to reach Mew, we can say that he knows Mew can take the form of any Pokemon, so to avoid the situation like Mew is in the form of Voltorb in front of Go, but he doesn't know that it is Mew, and doesn't catches it. So he is catching all the Pokemon, just like some of our catches in Pokemon Go turn out to be a Ditto, and we learn this only after we catch it!

dentula

I wonder if Ash jumping so high, isn't because Seiya was necessarily that strong (since I can't imagine stronger opponents specifically targeting weaker opponents), but perhaps as an effect of beating Visquez. Unless we use the trope of a decent ranked character trying to stop upcoming newbies by crushing them miserably, but Seiya didn't seem like he was that type of trainer.

After all Visquez was around 2000, when Ash beat her, his rank didn't reach that level, but maybe it was impressive enough that Ash beating someone around his rank (Seiya) proved to the judges that it wasn't a fluke that Ash beat Visquez so that they could properly give him the rank he should've gotten for defeating Visquez in the way that he did. (Remember I do think it was hinted at HOW you battle also affects your ranking not just simply defeating an opponent (though I'm sure this only applies to lower classes like normal, I'm sure the higher rank you are, the more it does become about just defeating the opponent).

So it was probably a combination of defeating Visquez the way he did and the sheer gap difference they started with, and defeating the trainer's Meganium that proved he deserved the rank he got. Perhaps as an addition, Seiya did say that no one was able to survive a solarbeam, perhaps that was taken into consideration, like maybe Seiya wasn't that high of a rank, he did lose some battles, but any time a Pokemon directly connected with solar beam also got knocked out, perhaps being the first to survive the solar beam, indicated that Ash's Pikachu was a higher tier Pokemon and thus they reflected the rank as appropriate (because only Pokemon of that rank and higher could've theoretically survived the solarbeam). It could also be because Ash is using a Pikachu (electric type) and it defeating Meganium (Grass type) and the impressiveness of winning also boosted the rank to what it is.

OR it's completely random, and it has nothing to do with anything (AKA the writers just making stuff up). Thus Ash could lose to someone one rank below him, and then get shot down to rank 2500.
My guess that ranking changes is due to an algorithm that takes into account
- difference of rank of trainers
- battle intensity (i.e. 1v1, 3v3)
- type matchup or perceived level of pokemon
- possibly even a multiplier based on how impressive the battle was. Perhaps the judges thought that a pikachu taking down a meganium was pretty badass.

Could be it's more subjective and judges just place trainers wherever on the ranks they feel is about right, but I think that wouldn't be fair in such a large competition and ranking should be decided by individual effort and performance.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
You know, if we didn't have a baseball episode in SM, I'd want to have one in this series. Gou would probably kill at that sport.

Also, speaking of Gou, what on Earth was that horrible noise his Rotom Phone was making? That's your wake-up alarm? Between this and his ringtone a few eps back, I'm starting to think he actively enjoys having the world's most annoying phone.

It's so loud it even cut off the narrator.

World Turtle

I don't think that Gou will actually catch em all in this series. Since no companion has reached their goal in the series they were featured in. Instead I think he will continue working towards his goal off-screen after he and Ash go different ways at the end of this series.

Let's see even if this was a 4 year saga (so 190 episodes). I'll ignore his 6-10 episode captures (22 in total) since that was an initial jump start for him, but count the 11-20 episode captures (15 in total) as the average he'll get for every 10 episodes.

If I did the math right 190/10 = 19 x 15 = 285 + 22 = 307.

There are currently 896 Pokemon and that doesn't even go into variant forms. So not even close to half.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
I am pretty sure Go is going to swap from catching all of them, to simply acquiring their pokédex entries, and we know that the dexes have them pre-installed because Ash has been scanning pokémon he's never caught and getting all their information anyway

Or Go is going to only catch the first form of a pokémon and raise it instead of having three or four of the same pokémon

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
I am pretty sure Go is going to swap from catching all of them, to simply acquiring their pokédex entries, and we know that the dexes have them pre-installed because Ash has been scanning pokémon he's never caught and getting all their information anyway

Or Go is going to only catch the first form of a pokémon and raise it instead of having three or four of the same pokémon
It would work with cases like the Ultra Beasts
He could just get the data for them from Aether Institute and the OG Rotomdex

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I remember seeing a show about people fishing. They'd normally get the fish, show it off, take a photo and then return it to the sea.

It'd be interesting if Go just attempted the capture for the data/dex entries than release the pokémon back to the wild.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
What? Since when, and for what reason, was Kadabra ever banned?
The reason had to do with its Japanese name, along with its design, being clearly based off Uri Geller, who was not terribly enthused about being represented the way he was. I think what he specifically took issue with was the "Dark Kadabra" card in the TCG, which, when read in Japanese, would be a single stroke of a single katakana away from just saying "The evil Uri Geller". Which... Yeah tbf I can see why he might not like that very much.

Last edited: