• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Godzilla

Venomfang

Perky Goth

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
Oh man, I recently saw a part of Mothra and Godzilla fighting with my boyfriend. Mothra had baby larvae and some other crazy stuff was going on (thinking about it now, I can't remember it too well since it was like 5am when we found it).

But wow, it was so cheesy, but so entertaining. I love Godzilla. XD

Cipher

Nothing to be done
Oh man, I recently saw a part of Mothra and Godzilla fighting with my boyfriend. Mothra had baby larvae and some other crazy stuff was going on (thinking about it now, I can't remember it too well since it was like 5am when we found it).
Probably the '64 Mothra vs. Godzilla. One of the few that's legitimately a good film.

Also, for anyone who cares, apparently Godzilla vs. Megalon and Destroy All Monsters are getting new bilingual DVD releases this fall? I'm all over that.

Phoopes

There it is.
I have watched every Godzilla film up until the movie, "Godzilla 2000." I'm not sure if there were any after that...

Anyway, my favorite Godzilla movie ever was one of the ones with King Ghidora. There's just something about 3-headed Dragons that makes anything awesome...

Nephos

Lelouch Lamperouge
I have watched every Godzilla film up until the movie, "Godzilla 2000." I'm not sure if there were any after that...

Anyway, my favorite Godzilla movie ever was one of the ones with King Ghidora. There's just something about 3-headed Dragons that makes anything awesome...

My favorite one as well. That is actually why I specifically made it my mission when I start playing white to get a hydregion

charizardfan

So, does anyone here collect those comics that IDW has been releasing? I have the first couple issues of Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters, but I really can't get into it. The miniseries, Godzilla: Gangsters & Goliaths, on the other hand is pretty awesome.

Also, for anyone who cares, apparently Godzilla vs. Megalon and Destroy All Monsters are getting new bilingual DVD releases this fall? I'm all over that.
I'll definitely be getting Godzilla vs. Megalon, which I really do enjoy in that "so bad it's good" kind of way. Undecided on Destroy All Monsters, though. I always remembered that movie as being pretty boring.

There were five more after that - Godzilla x Megaguirus, GMK: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack, Godzilla x Mechagodzilla, Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S., and Godzilla: Final Wars. The only one, IMO, that is worth tracking down and watching is GMK. GFW is pretty bad, but I like it. The other three are all done by the same director, so if you like one, you'll probably like the other two as well. Personally, they bore me.

Last edited:

Cipher

Nothing to be done
So, just an update. Apparently the original 1954 Godzilla is scheduled for a Criterion Collection DVD/Blu-Ray release within the next year and a half.

Why should you care? Because it's undergoing a Criterion-style remastering, it's going to look fantastic, and this movie is fucking fantastic and culturally relevant.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
So, just an update. Apparently the original 1954 Godzilla is scheduled for a Criterion Collection DVD/Blu-Ray release within the next year and a half.

Why should you care? Because it's undergoing a Criterion-style remastering, it's going to look fantastic, and this movie is fucking fantastic and culturally relevant.

Yay, Dad's been meaning to show us the original, and that's great news! Better let him know about it so he can keep an eye out for it.

I just wish they would have Biollante out on DVD here. Our VHS copy doesn't work anymore... *sadness*

Yay, Dad's been meaning to show us the original, and that's great news! Better let him know about it so he can keep an eye out for it.

I just wish they would have Biollante out on DVD here. Our VHS copy doesn't work anymore... *sadness*

Sounds awesome. I've Been meaning to see the original for a quit a while. Its sad they've haven't given some of the movies from the hesei series proper dvd releases. I think thats my favorite era of godzilla( millenium was decent and the showa series was ok).

OT: anyone hear about all the gamera movies (pre hesei) are getting dvd releases? I plan on checking those out aswell.

Nidogod

I'm a huge fan of Japanese cinema, so of course I dig Godzilla. I really need to rewatch the original sometime soon. I never saw any of the Millenium series, are they any good?

What's everyone's opinion on the American Rolan Emmerich Godzilla? I know Godzilla fans treat it like cancer, and as a film snob I hate Rolan Emmerich and his lack of coherent storytelling, but honestly, I didn't mind his Godzilla film.. Definitely my favorite RE movie (but that's not saying much) and go ahead and hate me, but I thought the monster design was real cool, and the effects were most certainly top notch for 1998.

Arceus94

I have a Godzilla Plushie <3
I saw a movie with it once. It died on a bridge after getting electrocuted by wires or something. and i think it had children :/

charizardfan

What's everyone's opinion on the American Rolan Emmerich Godzilla? I know Godzilla fans treat it like cancer, and as a film snob I hate Rolan Emmerich and his lack of coherent storytelling, but honestly, I didn't mind his Godzilla film.. Definitely my favorite RE movie (but that's not saying much) and go ahead and hate me, but I thought the monster design was real cool, and the effects were most certainly top notch for 1998.
Well, to be honest, I think many fans agree that the design would have been alright for an original monster. The problem is that it's supposed to be Godzilla. Just compare it to the original Godzilla, the '90s Godzilla, or the Millennium redesign and see the differences. Aside from that, it lacks other aspects unique to Godzilla, like his heat ray, and does things that Godzilla would never do: such as run from the military.

Also, I don't believe the American Godzilla film is as unpopular with the fandom now as it was several years ago. One thing I've noticed is that there are a lot of fans, usually those who were introduced to Godzilla through the film itself, who've claimed that they would have liked the movie had it been named something else, or even appreciate the design of the U.S. Godzilla while hating the lack of a heat ray or Godzilla's usual durability (i.e. he should never be getting killed by missiles, ever).

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
OT: anyone hear about all the gamera movies (pre hesei) are getting dvd releases? I plan on checking those out aswell.

Lol, sweet. We only had one VHS copy of a Gamera movie, and I can't remember what it's called, but it dealt with some kind of shark with a knife for a head, can't remember its name. All I really remember from that movie is the monster, two alien chicks like Vs. King Ghidora, Gamera rotating in his shell through space, and two boys singing (off-key) "GAMERAAAAAAAAAA".

Venomfang

Perky Goth
I have a Godzilla Plushie <3
I saw a movie with it once. It died on a bridge after getting electrocuted by wires or something. and i think it had children :/

That was the 1998 american version. It's not as bad as everyone says it is, in fact, I think it's a pretty good film.

Venomfang

Perky Goth

POKEMONISDUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!

I miss Godzilla (I have it on a video, but it doesn't work anymore...) It should be remade. Most movies these days are getting remade.

Cipher

Nothing to be done
I'm a huge fan of Japanese cinema, so of course I dig Godzilla. I really need to rewatch the original sometime soon. I never saw any of the Millenium series, are they any good?
A mixed bag, but the best answer is "not really." Godzilla 2000 is a blast, a competently directed, slightly higher budget showa style monster mash. The second one, Megaguirus, is very similar, but a lot more slapdash in both writing and effects. The third one's kind of interesting, but plays itself way too seriously to work for what it is, and the last three are painfully boring and poorly written (yes, even for this series).

Still, though, try 'em out if you dig this sort of thing. I can only pick out two of them that really hurt to sit through.

Godzilla (1998) isn't a terrible movie because they changed the Godzilla formula. It's a terrible movie because it's a terrible movie. One of my least favorite wide-release films of all time. It's Michael Bay-level stupid without even being Michael Bay good-looking or competent. It's like two hours long (or at least feels that way), and it's impossible to give a shit for a single minute of it. It's so riddled with its own embarrassing attempts at humor it can't even slip into "so bad it's good" territory. That's just the worst.

So, yeah, I'll disagree with anyone claiming this could have been a decent monster film if it hadn't dragged the Godzilla name down with it, or whatever. Without the Godzilla name, it would just be "That really terrible, boring monster movie they made in the '90s."

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Did anyone see this beauty of a figure?
http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-69500-...C1B6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317420075&sr=8-1
I usually only buy Kamen Riders from this line but Godzilla is so tempting.

Oh my gosh, my little brother has that--wait. *takes a closer look* I don't think that's the one he has... looks too cool to be the one we have.

But he's got a few of Godzilla figurines like that, such as Mechagodzilla, (King?) Ghidora, Mothra, and Anguirus. There's a Baragon Dad saw at the store, but he didn't get it--not yet, anyway. (They're like forty dollars or something.)

Godzilla (1998) isn't a terrible movie because they changed the Godzilla formula. It's a terrible movie because it's a terrible movie. One of my least favorite wide-release films of all time. It's Michael Bay-level stupid without even being Michael Bay good-looking or competent. It's like two hours long (or at least feels that way), and it's impossible to give a shit for a single minute of it. It's so riddled with its own embarrassing attempts at humor it can't even slip into "so bad it's good" territory. That's just the worst.

So, yeah, I'll disagree with anyone claiming this could have been a decent monster film if it hadn't dragged the Godzilla name down with it, or whatever. Without the Godzilla name, it would just be "That really terrible, boring monster movie they made in the '90s."

Amen. "That's a lot of fish" my butt. I don't even know why we have the movie still.