• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Goh and Cinderace! The Place Where It All Began!!

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Oh yeah. So basically classic Serebii doomer mentality. "I read the title and now I think this will be the worst episode ever. Wah!"
Serebii can be summed up by cynical, fatalist, and possibly nihilist.

Rune Knight

Felt nice to go back and have Cinderace re-unite with its previous companions, as well seeing a bunch of Galar Pokémon make their debut. The Galar region in general is portrayed with such a beautiful environment in the anime and I just love its Pokémon designs. My only peeve regarding this master is that, at least to me, it felt kind of crammed in as I did get the feeling like they are in need of showcasing as many Gen VIII Pokémon last minute when it should've been done gradually over the course of the series; but overall, at least in this episode, it felt like it was done well and at a decent pace so I have no real complaints.

Also up until now, I never noticed that the fountain where Sobble was caught is also the same one that was shown in the very first SW/SH trailer that was shown during Pokémon Day 2019, or at least I think that it's the same one; it's a fun nod.

As for my main pros and cons:

Pros:
-Beautiful environments and animations.
-Galar mons debuts.
-Sonia confirmed as the new Professor.

Cons:
-Leon getting Eternatus, though we don't know if he'll actually end up using it during the final battle the thought of it is just frightening in of itself.
-Goh spontaneously being summoned for PM, which not only means that he won't be around to watch the final battle, but might also indicate things like PM happening off-screen or at the same time as the finals; it's pretty much looking like Rush Hour 4.

But most of all, please let this not be Goh's final appearance in the series, cause in a way the farewell between the two did kind of feel like an end-series goodbye.

Overall, the episode itself was good, but has also further sparked my worry for the coming weeks.

9/10

Last edited:

LazySpy

Kimty
Literally almost Pokemon from every generation has had the chance to have important roles attached to them except for Galars Pokemon which have mostly been reduced to cameos or background fodder.

Before this generation, almost every Pokemon from that Region would be assigned to an character, episodes would be about them or they would have some air of relevance.

Galar and Hisui haven't been given the same treatment.
"Literally almost Pokemon from every generation has had the chance to have important roles attached to them except for Galars Pokemon which have mostly been reduced to cameos or background fodder.

Before this generation, almost every Pokemon from that Region would be assigned to an character, episodes would be about them or they would have some air of relevance.

Galar and Hisui haven't been given the same treatment."

LazySpy

Kimty
Literally almost Pokemon from every generation has had the chance to have important roles attached to them except for Galars Pokemon which have mostly been reduced to cameos or background fodder.

Galar and Hisui haven't been given the same treatment.
All joking aside.

Why do they have to be Galarian and why do they need relevant roles? The only reason I've seen is because this is a show about Pokemon so it has to showcase them which btw, is an admittance they don't have to be Galarian. The anime could very well decide Galar doesn't exist in its universe and they'd still both could tell a good story, *and* they'd have 700+ Pokemon to showcase so they could still arbitrally live up to the show's name because I guess that's more important than whether the story is good.

Last edited:

MunchMunch

All joking aside.

Why do they have to be Galarian and why do they need relevant roles? The only reason I was given prior is because this is a show about Pokemon so it has to showcase them which btw, is an admittance they don't have to be Galarian. The anime could very well decide Galar doesn't exist in its universe and they'd still both could tell a good story, *and* they'd have 700+ Pokemon to showcase so they could still arbitrally live up to the show's name because I guess that's more important than whether the story is good.
I mean when was the animes story ever good? Jk

The anime has been trying super hard to emulate the games so much so that dodging is almost being phase out. Pokemon can't even just appear in random regions anymore, it now has to be explained. They wanna stick close how the games so things.

Even the wild Pokemon you see in Journeys are all Pokemon that can be found in that regions dex. So that's why you're not seeing wild Galar Pokemon in other regions in the anime because we'll in the games that can't happen.

LazySpy

Kimty
The anime has been trying super hard to emulate the games so much so that dodging is almost being phase out. Pokemon can't even just appear in random regions anymore, it now has to be explained. They wanna stick close how the games so things.

Even the wild Pokemon you see in Journeys are all Pokemon that can be found in that regions dex. So that's why you're not seeing wild Galar Pokemon in other regions in the anime because we'll in the games that can't happen.
And yet there are many changes to continuity when compared to the games. Despite the similiarities, I think it's clear it's a diffirent universe.

Or let me put it this way, if the MCU has a plotline, character or whatever that's exactly the same as in the comics, then that's just something that happened to be the same, but the movies are still a seperate continuity from the comics. We can apply this to Pokemon, it is a diffirent reality and maybe some things happen to be the same but it doesn't mean it has to be true for everything. They can take whatever liberties they want.
I mean when was the animes story ever good? Jk
I mean you're not wrong lol

LazySpy

Kimty
They wouldn't even have to delete Galar what if the show was all about Goh and his team of six Pokemon, but they're the only Galar mons. Lets say in this hypothetical show Pokemon from older generations get focus and the writing for all the characters is top notch, does this still sound like a bad show? There's only six Galarmons.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Not an essay time:
It turns out the reason why Eternatus was in the episode was so it can be exposed to human contact with Magnolia saying that given how important Eternatus is to Galar, it'd be easier to coexist with it rather than have it rot in a pokeball for eternity. Go leaving Eternatus in Leon's care does make sense in that regard though to be fair.
Seeing the Nickits be pillars of the community in Wyndon is really nice touch, as is them sharing their reward with the ones causing trouble (initially the G-Zigzagoons), and their reunion with Cinderace was cute.
Whilst I do dislike the TR Gacha, I found it hilarious that during the episode's conflict, TR used the G-Meowth to "cheat" the system and get more pokemon from the machine. I did like that the Nickits evolved though, they had shown to have grown since their last appearance, so I feel that it was earned. At least the Arrokuda ended up ok in the end after Cramorant swallowed it by mistake, I like that the writers did that.
The last thing I wanted to touch on was the ending, with Go receiving an urgent summons from Project Mew, meaning he has to miss the finals. When I saw that, my mind immediately thought "I KNEW IT!" as I somehow saw this coming at the end of August, granted I was spit balling when I made that post, but y'know the cues were there considering Tsurugi said that the rainy season was ending sooner than they thought in JN110 which prompted me to think that Go might not stick around to see the end of the tournament.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
All joking aside.

Why do they have to be Galarian and why do they need relevant roles? The only reason I was given prior is because this is a show about Pokemon so it has to showcase them which btw, is an admittance they don't have to be Galarian. The anime could very well decide Galar doesn't exist in its universe and they'd still both could tell a good story, *and* they'd have 700+ Pokemon to showcase so they could still arbitrally live up to the show's name because I guess that's more important than whether the story is good.
I admire the obtuse perspective. Didn't think it was possible to miss the point that much.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
This episode sums Journeys series pretty much: very good ideas but absolutely awful execution. Dealing with the fallout of Eternatus, Goh's not feeling he measures up to a legendary and being forced to split up with Ash are all interesting developments but were ruined by some awful execution. Too much time taken for slice of life episodes that didn't add much, some very poor planning and questionable creative decisions hindered what would be the best entry in the show otherwise.

I really feel bad for Goh because the show keeps doing this weird thing where his character has to bend into whatever the plot is supposed to be so we get something clunky.

And the whole Mew thing is so stupid. Goh's goal works fine enough as it is, as in "He loves Pokémon, he wants to know all of them which means catching them all". Introducing something convoluted as "get Mew" feels like overly complicating things just as they did with the whole Ash aiming at Leon rather than just wanting to reach the top, which was the one thing he always did before

The Eternatus thing was simply horrible, unneeded and did more harm than good. I really hope it's a corporate mandate because it's the only thing that softens the blow. Really, folks complain about the Suicune capture but it worked better. Here, it's just stupid.

Honestly, it's hard to get excited about anything going in the show right now given all the dissapointments it has given us.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
This episode sums Journeys series pretty much: very good ideas but absolutely awful execution. Dealing with the fallout of Eternatus, Goh's not feeling he measures up to a legendary and being forced to split up with Ash are all interesting developments but were ruined by some awful execution. Too much time taken for slice of life episodes that didn't add much, some very poor planning and questionable creative decisions hindered what would be the best entry in the show otherwise.

I really feel bad for Goh because the show keeps doing this weird thing where his character has to bend into whatever the plot is supposed to be so we get something clunky.

And the whole Mew thing is so stupid. Goh's goal works fine enough as it is, as in "He loves Pokémon, he wants to know all of them which means catching them all". Introducing something convoluted as "get Mew" feels like overly complicating things just as they did with the whole Ash aiming at Leon rather than just wanting to reach the top, which was the one thing he always did before

The Eternatus thing was simply horrible, unneeded and did more harm than good. I really hope it's a corporate mandate because it's the only thing that softens the blow. Really, folks complain about the Suicune capture but it worked better. Here, it's just stupid.

Honestly, it's hard to get excited about anything going in the show right now given all the dissapointments it has given us.
Excellent and accurate post, as always

DatsRight

I mean in fairness, the anime has ALWAYS been like this. Focusing on filler episodes or formula/slice of life over actual important character development steps. Even the best series like DP wasted a lot of time.

I admit this episode being mostly a Team Rocket faceoff kinda underwhelms that key step (though I get the feeling Goh's hardly being written out) though it was at least a decent creative faceoff that charted back to some of Goh's Pokemon and their development. They should have tried more stuff like this with the Gacha.

Interesting that TR Meowth was able to sweet talk his Galarian cousins to be on their side but gets on horribly with his Alolan ones. Also TRio being unwilling to snag Ash's Pokemon before the big match.

On a side note, it's kinda goody goody, but I liked the whole 'defeat equals friendship' thing continued on, with both the Zigzagoons and Perserker's gang getting some food in the end. Hard to really see a starving stray as a bad guy. Amusing how many redeemed thief trios there are by the end of the episode though.

Last edited: