• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Goh Doesn’t Deserve the Hate He Gets: An analysis of what I like about his character and what could be done better

Morax

King of heroes
I wouldn't be surprised if there was someone from the TPC or TPCi marketing department who lurked on the very active fan forums and community sites to filter through and collect feedback.
Are you that guy? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
And helps spread awareness about other cultures and their customs and traditions. One of the main reason i hate the English dubs and localisation is because of the "Everything is America" mentality.
To be fair, there is a sizable chunk of Americans that couldn’t find Japan on a map.

Are you that guy? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
LOL. I’m doing a terrible job at lurking.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
And helps spread awareness about other cultures and their customs and traditions. One of the main reason i hate the English dubs and localisation is because of the "Everything is America" mentality.
Well, the ova isn't immune to negativity, hence the terms like weaboo. Beside this, I remembered some popular YouTuber under the name of Logan Paul who made fun of Japanese culture during his visit in Japan and his fans supported his attitude.

Kaye Cruiser

My problem with Go is pretty simple. Whenever the focus is on Go himself and his interaction with other people and just him living life with Ash, Koharu and the others, he's handled pretty well and is a likable and understandable character. His best episodes are the ones that focus solely on him as a person instead of him and his Pokemon. Heck, his best episode is probably still the one with his old childhood friend, even if the reason behind the strife was silly lack of communication but, you know, people. We do that.

The moment that focus shifts to being about Pokemon is when he becomes a haphazard and irritating mess with so many inconsistent random happenings and moments they try to force as being impactful and emotional when all the proper elements and set up needed just isn't there and the moment just doesn't stick the landing, but he cried a little and looked cute so some folks will eat it up. It feels shallow and hollow. I can't bring myself to like any of his Pokemon related focus because I very much don't care about it. The show and the character has done nothing to make me care about him catching tons of Pokemon easily or eventually getting Mew. It's never interesting or cool looking to see him do it or talk about it unlike Ash's battles and captures.

There's also the dilemma of his "goal" begging the question of "and then what?" in regards to it's completion. If Ash battles and beats Leon, what will he do? Keep traveling and having more adventures and battles on his quest to become Pokemon Master. His goal is always more about the journey than the destination because there's always more journeys to be had. Same for his other companions when it came to contests or whatevr else they wanted to do. Even if they were able to reach the goal, there was always something more past that goal. Go doesn't have that. He wants to catch Mew. Catching all of the other Pokemon is just an excuse to give him something to do until he does and is more of a means to an end rather than being part of the plan. Without catching every Pokemon, he'd just stand everywhere doing nothing since they aren't actually playing up him being smart and knowledgable. If he gets the chance to catch Mew without having to get them all, he'll do it. And then what? If Go, by some miracle, actually catches Mew, then what? He doesn't like training or battling and isn't great at it unless the show dumbs down others around him to make him look better like in that Flygon episode. Otherwise, he usually has to get saved like in the Gary and Dawn episodes. He doesn't actually study and research Pokemon outside of talking to his Pokedex liked everyone else, so I couldn't be interested even if they claimed to go that route. Just catch more Pokemon even after getting Mew? Well, sure, okay. They can do that. It won't be very interesting to watch if he doesn't get some battle skill, though. Pokemon GO style catching is boring to watch in a TV show.

Go the character is fine and a relatively harmless guy who's a joy to watch when he's just living life with his friends. Go the Pokemon character is mildly annoying on some days and incredibly frustrating on others, but is consistently pretty dull and boring to watch with an uninteresting goal that has a finite end. Honestly, both Go and Koharu feel severely out of place in the Pokemon universe and feel like characters that were pulled out of some "coming of age" slice of life anime and got isekai'd into Ash's Pokemon world and somehow changed how that entire world worked in the process upon arrival.

In short, Go is an okay anime character, but he's a terrible Pokemon anime character.

Soniman

Break the Limit
I think that's what literally was the point though of having come Goh and Koharu come from the "normal" world being intro to the Pokémon world. Not literally of course but like Goh and Koharu were normal kids who went to a normal school and lived with a traditional family, no significant Pokémon interaction besides Oak's summer camp and Yamper the family dog. In that respect it's a interesting way to explore new characters but obviously the execution is a different story

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I
I think that's what literally was the point though of having come Goh and Koharu come from the "normal" world being intro to the Pokémon world. Not literally of course but like Goh and Koharu were normal kids who went to a normal school and lived with a traditional family, no significant Pokémon interaction besides Oak's summer camp and Yamper the family dog. In that respect it's a interesting way to explore new characters but obviously the execution is a different story
I dont understand why they started developing the relationship of Yamper and Koharu, and then they ditched it for Eevee. Now she's just an Eevee poster girl

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Honestly, both Go and Koharu feel severely out of place in the Pokemon universe and feel like characters that were pulled out of some "coming of age" slice of life anime and got isekai'd into Ash's Pokemon world and somehow changed how that entire world worked in the process upon arrival.
I enjoyed reading your perspective. I do however think this was an intentional point by the writers. In an interview it was mentioned how Tomiyasu wanted to show a human world with pokemon in it for this series, and I for one liked it coz it gives a fresh new world building, like the random activities Goh and Chloe do and their perspectives on life and confusion and struggles being all...human like. His human nature with an irl perspective is even broadened when it comes to the Galar starters relationship with him and how they represent the human like parent child relationships. It is a major flaw that besides the Galar starters we dont get major focus on his other mons, except for the few like floette and all. In that sense it can be unrewarding to watch his goal play out, esp coz instead of having him battle more, use more variety of balls etc, its just a throw the ball and gotcha sequence. It gets tiring after a while
Goh's major problem as a character has always been how boring his goal has been executed. The concept of the goal isnt bad and still fits the anime, ill stand by that but its execution with Goh hasnt been good. Goh himself is a good character with great character based focus and struggles, but falls short in goal based episodes of his, and his goal development has been all over the place
I really have high hopes from Project Mew though, it seems like a nice way to address his goal problems and hopefully expand on it

Morax

King of heroes
Pretty much, even Project Mew are failing in execution such as Showcases. Project Mew at least has some time for a decent redemption.
I don’t care about goal progression in general, maybe that’s why i don’t find Gou terrible.

but tbqh gou and serena have some of the most realistic goals in this franchise. i’ll take “catching mew” and “Ash’s wife” over something vague like “pokemon master” or “dragon master” anyday.

Last edited:

MartínK

My problem with Goh and why i don't like him (Writers fault) is how they are handling his goal, he can easily fight them before he catch them and instead of catching every pokémon of the same line he could evolved the ones he has and the goal of catch em all would not be affected cuz how the pokedex works but no, they rather prefered that Goh became a Pokémon Go player.

That is Goh BIG problem because he has a good personality and a great back story that hasn't been explored that much.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
So basically serena?
Pretty much, although Serena's character development was dependent on her goal development as well unlike Goh's which can overlap but mostly remain distinct. Not a bad thing at all its just when the goal is something one doesnt like its harder to appreciate the character based struggle, although I still like Serena's personality and looking forward to what shes been upto when she returns. One thing Serena did much better though is have a proper development pace, something of which in Goh's case is uneven as hell