• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Goh Doesn’t Deserve the Hate He Gets: An analysis of what I like about his character and what could be done better

Welcome to my ignore list. You don't get to flame bait by bringing your off-topic transphobia into the thread out of nowhere and then accuse others of derailing the thread when you get called out on it. I have zero patience for that kind of bs rhetoric.
Yeah, it's Serebii forums, what do you expect?

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
I love how everyone here suddenly loves Goh. I completely disagree with everything OP said. This abomination called "Goh" deserves every bit of hate he's getting. Of course there's nothing wrong with his personality itself, he's just a bland kodomo mary sue just like Ash. But he's an anomaly that brings too many rules and concepts that makes the show much more boring and inconsistent than it's ever been. And he gets all the cool stuff with very little "journey" time (what journey?) just because he's the protagonist and that's his dream. His goal is ridiculous and completely devoid of logic. He literally wants to become God. Catching Arceus, Giratina, Yveltal, Lugia, Mew, Mewtwo, every single rare and powerful Pokémon in the world... Seriously... Really? So is the anime really like a gameplay that you just watch now? And by giving him Suicune (by the dumbest reasons possible, that was literally the stupidest e completely indefensible Pokemon episode I've ever watched, and yes, I've watched them all), Pokémon Company is sacrificing the lore and value of a lot of cool Pokémon in the process to ensure that Gohd will fulfill his dream. Zapdos, Scizor, Golurk, Suicune, Absol... Who's next? The vast majority of the Pokémon he catches he just dumps them in that stupid dome for them to only show up in quick background shots or brought back just to be embarrassed like Scizor.

I like all seasons, even Sun & Moon and Best Wishes. But Journeys is being unbearable to me and mostly because of this transgender kid trivializing everything he touches and consuming all the time that should be dedicated to the long-awaited World Championships for Ash. Goh is destroying this anime and it baffles me how there's still some fans defending this abomination, but it's okay there is a taste for everything I guess? It makes me so sad what they're doing with the anime. To me Transgoh definitely DESERVES to be despised, mainly because he represents another abomination called Pokémon Go. Goh shouldn't even exist in this series. At least not before Ash retired.
It sounds like your issue is with the production staff and how they have executed the show, not the character itself.

SerenaRulez

I love how everyone here suddenly loves Goh.
I think you took the wrong impression from people who were defending him. Those of us who said that he gets a lot of hate for things that he should not be hated for are just looking at things objectively. Most people here who came to his defense are probably neutral about him but are able to see that he gets unfair abuse whenever he does something usually because people get angry that he takes time away from Ash.

And you can tell that Ash is a factor in the complaints of Goh because the subject of Ash comes up in like maybe 9 out of 10 criticisms of Goh. :(

Josef Stylin

I want to dye
I like all seasons, even Sun & Moon and Best Wishes. But Journeys is being unbearable to me and mostly because of this transgender kid trivializing everything he touches and consuming all the time that should be dedicated to the long-awaited World Championships for Ash. Goh is destroying this anime and it baffles me how there's still some fans defending this abomination, but it's okay there is a taste for everything I guess? It makes me so sad what they're doing with the anime. To me Transgoh definitely DESERVES to be despised, mainly because he represents another abomination called Pokémon Go. Goh shouldn't even exist in this series. At least not before Ash retired.

BIG YEN GOH continuing to work the jabronie marks into a such a seething shoot that they even out themselves as transphobes, absolutely based

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I love how everyone here suddenly loves Goh. I completely disagree with everything OP said. This abomination called "Goh" deserves every bit of hate he's getting. Of course there's nothing wrong with his personality itself, he's just a bland kodomo mary sue just like Ash. But he's an anomaly that brings too many rules and concepts that makes the show much more boring and inconsistent than it's ever been. And he gets all the cool stuff with very little "journey" time (what journey?) just because he's the protagonist and that's his dream. His goal is ridiculous and completely devoid of logic. He literally wants to become God. Catching Arceus, Giratina, Yveltal, Lugia, Mew, Mewtwo, every single rare and powerful Pokémon in the world... Seriously... Really? So is the anime really like a gameplay that you just watch now? And by giving him Suicune (by the dumbest reasons possible, that was literally the stupidest e completely indefensible Pokemon episode I've ever watched, and yes, I've watched them all), Pokémon Company is sacrificing the lore and value of a lot of cool Pokémon in the process to ensure that Gohd will fulfill his dream. Zapdos, Scizor, Golurk, Suicune, Absol... Who's next? The vast majority of the Pokémon he catches he just dumps them in that stupid dome for them to only show up in quick background shots or brought back just to be embarrassed like Scizor.

I don't even like JN, but....
ConcernedPoliwhirl.png

I'm just welcoming him though. Why do you need to find double meaning in everything?
Let's "welcome" that guy with a
ConcernedPoliwhirl.png

DigitalTrainer

Worried about everything
So look, I know Goh isn't a bad person, he doesn't mistreat his Pokemon or see them as checkboxes or whatever, and he isn't a Pokemon poacher. I still hate him and Journeys though, or more correctly I hate the choices and ideas of writers. I think since he caught that Giant Golurk without doing much of anything to contribute Scorebunny evolved Raboot so fast and easily is when I started feeling weird about him, and at that time I just thought I was being paranoid.

I started comparing Ash and Goh after Ash first lost to Bea and Goh somehow beat both Flygon and Zapdos, and got his own Dynamax Braclet(Something I wish they'd have only given to Ash to better separate the character) only to somehow use know how to use it on his first try, and also remembering how Scorebunny/Raboot tanked a bunch of Water-Type Attacks from Milotic and beat it. Now this was before it evolved into Cinderace, and their magical combat prowess took a dive.

Then since Eternatus, Suicune, and then him hogging both Sobble and Grookey(not in episodic order but you know what I mean), and from than on I've resented him and Journeys as a whole. Whenever I see him I just see this Mary Sue who seems to have one the lottery and almost everything works out in his favor.

On top of that, I absolutely hate how they seem to funnel a bunch of Ash's old traits on to him, while Ash is reduced to, that idiot with a Pikachu and others, who's only good for battling. I get that Ash has been the MC and had development for 20+ years, but what the JN writers are doing is destroying that development, often to make Goh look good, at least from what I'm seeing.

Could someone talk to me about what I'm feeling? Is there a way describe it?

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
So look, I know Goh isn't a bad person, he doesn't mistreat his Pokemon or see them as checkboxes or whatever, and he isn't a Pokemon poacher. I still hate him and Journeys though, or more correctly I hate the choices and ideas of writers. I think since he caught that Giant Golurk without doing much of anything to contribute Scorebunny evolved Raboot so fast and easily is when I started feeling weird about him, and at that time I just thought I was being paranoid.

I started comparing Ash and Goh after Ash first lost to Bea and Goh somehow beat both Flygon and Zapdos, and got his own Dynamax Braclet(Something I wish they'd have only given to Ash to better separate the character) only to somehow use know how to use it on his first try, and also remembering how Scorebunny/Raboot tanked a bunch of Water-Type Attacks from Milotic and beat it. Now this was before it evolved into Cinderace, and their magical combat prowess took a dive.

Then since Eternatus, Suicune, and then him hogging both Sobble and Grookey(not in episodic order but you know what I mean), and from than on I've resented him and Journeys as a whole. Whenever I see him I just see this Mary Sue who seems to have one the lottery and almost everything works out in his favor.

On top of that, I absolutely hate how they seem to funnel a bunch of Ash's old traits on to him, while Ash is reduced to, that idiot with a Pikachu and others, who's only good for battling. I get that Ash has been the MC and had development for 20+ years, but what the JN writers are doing is destroying that development, often to make Goh look good, at least from what I'm seeing.

While I don't really hold the Flygon or Zapdos situations against him too much, yeah I can see how a lot of times they just sideline Ash to the point that he might as well not be there. Tbh I wonder if it's more because they just straight up don't know what to do with Ash anymore. Tbh I feel like they should've just started with the Project Mew stuff from early on so they could give Goh a more gradual but tangible progression.

(also good to see a calm post after having read through that other guy's
ConcernedPoliwhirl.png
)

Evstike

Take me back to peak pokemon
Tbh I wonder if it's more because they just straight up don't know what to do with Ash anymore.
They could always just have him do what he used to in episodes that weren't focused on him. Have him contribute, but to a lesser amount that the character in focus. They don't even let Ash show off his personality anymore if it's anything other than being stupid. I can think of so many moments where Ash could have said or done something without changing the plot in any major way. Remember when he used Gengar and Farfetch'd in the errand episode? For Goh battles, just have Ash use one of his Pokemon that isn't Pikachu and have them get KO'd, have him try a little longer before he leaves it to Goh, or acknowledge that it's Goh's battle instead of just standing there. Just have him do something.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer

While I majorly disagree this is a respectable post, so thank you for that after the other guy's BS. I do agree sometimes the writing choices with him are wonky af, esp when it comes to his captures although I have zero problem with Flygon and Golurk personally and really enjoyed those episodes. For the Zapdos one I won't say Raboot beat Zapdos but he did put up a good performance which again I don't mind
Eternatus when it comes to context isn't really an offender. Suicune I agree with you completely and the Sobble and grookey premise could have been done much better.
I do think he's characterized well and I especially enjoy his story arcs with the starters even though the Inteleon one was rushed to hell. He has a great dynamic with Ash and his past and current behaviour is a treat to watch for me
What I don't agree however is that he's responsible for Ash's poor treatment. It's just like others said....the writers don't know what to do with Ash anymore and I don't think the dumb down Ash to make Goh look good. It only happened in the Flygon episode and that was for a narrative reason. I can understand not liking how many times Goh easily becomes Ash's equal due to his uneven development pace. I don't think Goh's character is detrimental to Ash in any way or he borrows traits, it's just one of JN's fundamental problems in how they go about Ash

divinepokemonXZ

ALL HAIL THE GORILLA-FROG!

Wow, you sure wrote a lot of words expressing your hatred of a fictional ten-year-old boy.

And why are you calling Goh transgender? I'm very confused.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
I know Goh is majorly disliked in Japan, but I never disliked him. At least he's working towards his goal and somewhat achieving it unlike a lot of Ash's previous travel companions in the last generations. Tbh, the only travel companion I ever disliked at all was Max. He was rather mean to May and outright bratty in some episodes. Goh has time to grow still, even if character development in the Pokemon anime doesn't seem to be a top priority.

Some of the comments in this thread make me mad, so I will be ignoring them, btw.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
In my opining he is an awful character. Its true he got personality, and that his design atleast has more than 1 color and that his artstyle is not ugly, unlike the SM children. But he gets everything on a silver plate when compared to the companions from os to xy which had to work for their accomplishments