• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Goh Doesn’t Deserve the Hate He Gets: An analysis of what I like about his character and what could be done better

It seems like there isn’t a character in the Pokémon anime that is polarizing as Goh. Sure, there are who have taken up the title of that, but it feels like Goh has surpassed them at this point. The two I am talking about here that can compare are Iris (to a lesser extent) and Serena, and I don’t know if he has surpassed the latter just yet because of you-know-what and OH BOY the extremists (I don’t want to start a flame war) but he is coming close. The main complaints I see about Goh is that “he catches every Pokémon too easily”, “he’s a monster that doesn’t care about the Pokémon’s feelings”, “he catches legendaries” and “he steals the screentime from Ash”. Personally, I feel like most of these complaints are false or I don’t agree with them, and they are more over exaggerated to the point that it’s ridiculous.

I think Goh is a decent character, and I don’t hate any of Ash’s companions at all. Yes, there are problems about him, but most of the issues are more attributed towards the series itself. Goh’s goal of catching every Pokémon is very unique as it's something we’ve never seen before in the anime, with his end goal culminating in catching Mew as he saw it during his childhood. We can see him grow throughout the series from a selfish character to one that understands the feelings of Pokémon and people.

However, catching all these Pokémon means that most of them are faded into obscurity, and even his main mons like Cinderace, Drizzile, and Grookey don’t get much development, though this is a problem with Journeys as a whole. I like how he is developing and progressing towards his goal with being a part of Project Mew which is a good step in his character and goal as he was a staler character before then, and I’m excited to see his role in upcoming episodes and hopefully he can learn to be independent from Ash. I do agree that he catches Pokémon too easily, but I’ve seen with some captures he’s either struggled or befriended the Pokémon that he caught. The notion that he doesn’t care about the Pokémon’s feelings is false as we’ve seen in several episodes such as with Raboot, Suicune, and Drizzile that he does indeed care for them. When Goh caught Suicune, the community poured with outrage as Goh caught a legendary Pokémon so easily. I’m not too upset about its capture as the rest of the fandom was but I can see why people are mad that he caught a legendary 53 episodes in. Goh catching any Pokémon, including a legendary, is part of his goal of catching every Pokémon, plus it doesn’t even have to battle like say if Ash catches one would make him too OP like Tobias, which is why I wasn’t a fan of him catching Melmetal.

And then there’s the argument that Goh is stealing the screentime from Ash. This is a very unpopular opinion but I’m more interested in what Goh’s doing in this series than what Ash is, as the PWC battles aren’t that interesting to me and Ash’s character feels more stale than ever. Goh is a new character with an interesting concept that could be played out, while Ash has been around for almost 25 years and has overstayed his welcome at this point. In all honesty, I think that Goh is a better character than Ash in this series, and he doesn’t deserve the level of bashing that he gets from the community.

I 100% Agree... I thought Goh was a great character but then some people show up to hate Goh for catching a suicune. I don't hate Goh myself but Project Mew was a poorly-thoughted execution, Filler episodes aren't that great either. so Let him catch more new Pokemon. Is Mawile an option for Goh to catch her?

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I agree with the points you brought up. People who say Goh doesn't care about his Pokémon or relate him to a Pokémon hunter lack basic comprehension when it comes to watching a kids show and it's just sad lol
Goh has his problems but overall I love his character, there are so many great character moments about him too that weren't brought up here but just makes me love him even more. He's an amazing character

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The problem is less with Goh, as a character, and more with the series he is being featuring him. For some reason this season gets all those good ideas and concept and just present them in the blandest, most superficial way. It's hard to care when they do things in such a nonchalant way, it's hard to care.

And before you ask or point it out, yes, the Dawn episode broke me and changed my view on the current show upside-down. It still has its highlights here and there though

DatsRight

I haven't seen a ton of Journeys, but yeah, from what I've seen, it feels as much down to the show's execution of it than the character.

SM had Mallow, a character with even less credentials and challenges as an actual Pokemon trainer, have a mythical Pokemon along with Ash, the key here however, is that SM's very character driven format meant elusive Pokemon didn't feel like a commodity, while Journeys is rather formulaic and isn't as interesting in developing its Pokemon and their bonds with their trainers. Catching Pokemon was often based on circumstance rather than a goal before, while Journeys is 100% treating it as a goal despite putting even less intuition into it.

This has even been seen compared to other series (eg. Iris evolving Axew is just seen more as a quota check rather than character development, we don't even see Haxorous' personality to make it all that depthful in terms of its personal achievement with Iris, this sticks out since the whole point they didn't evolve Axew originally is they wanted to still handle it as a character).

TheLink

Eunie is as Eunie does.
Goh in-and-of-himself isn’t a *bad* character - it’s the execution that dropped the ball. A collector that wants to gather all of the Pokémon to study them? Cool. That’s actually sounds fantastic. Goh catching all of the Pokémon to study them to better understand Mew? Not so much. You can argue all day that since Mew is the ancestor of all Pokémon that studying all of the Pokémon could help one better understand Mew, but to me at least it falls flat.

If you’re going to go this route for a goal, actually show the character making an active point to study the ‘mons they catch. Adding to my above point, having the character saying they’re studying what they catch feels somewhat hollow when we never actually see them do it.

Again, I don’t hate Goh, but his execution leaves a lot to be desired and I’m hoping Project Mew either results in a goal shift or taking a more active role in his current one beyond “catching all the ‘mons”.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
The problem is less with Goh, as a character, and more with the series he is being featuring him. For some reason this season gets all those good ideas and concept and just present them in the blandest, most superficial way. It's hard to care when they do things in such a nonchalant way, it's hard to care.

And before you ask or point it out, yes, the Dawn episode broke me and changed my view on the current show upside-down. It still has its highlights here and there though
Or in other words
images

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
He feels like an extremely misplaced spin-off character whose laws of the universe are completely ignored in another universe where such benefits should be completely alien and looked down upon because such benefits shouldn't work so easily on a rookie, even.

Imagine a PMD character in this universe.

As is stands, to me, he truly is bordering on being a complete Gary Stu, which clashes with Ash's real input in (offscreen) effort. And it seems the writers want to really sell that idea...because his rival(?) has a freakin' Urshifu. Quite the...weapon a rival could ever have. Not a single normal rival of Ash's has gone that far.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Goh in-and-of-himself isn’t a *bad* character - it’s the execution that dropped the ball. A collector that wants to gather all of the Pokémon to study them? Cool. That’s actually sounds fantastic. Goh catching all of the Pokémon to study them to better understand Mew? Not so much. You can argue all day that since Mew is the ancestor of all Pokémon that studying all of the Pokémon could help one better understand Mew, but to me at least it falls flat.
That's my issue as well. There was no need to include the Mew thing on Goh's goal. It'd work just fine if he just wanted one of each pokémon because he wants to study and learn from them all.

It's just Daiki Tomiyasu's weird fetiche with "ah, goals only work if there's something tangible like a person to reach" giving things such as this. He's done the same to Ash with the whole "aiming to battle Leon" thing.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Go is a fictional character and as such is not entitled to any kind of respect from fans. He is not harmed or hurt in any sense of the word by anything anyone puts on the internet or anywhere else. It's why I can hate on how he treats his pokémon all I want while also boxing most of the pokémon I have in my Ultra Sun game, he lives in the same fictional universe as the pokémon he catches and therefore has more of a moral obligation to at least pay his critters some attention, I do not live in the same universe as the pokémon in my game.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Go is a fictional character and as such is not entitled to any kind of respect from fans. He is not harmed or hurt in any sense of the word by anything anyone puts on the internet or anywhere else. It's why I can hate on how he treats his pokémon all I want while also boxing most of the pokémon I have in my Ultra Sun game, he lives in the same fictional universe as the pokémon he catches and therefore has more of a moral obligation to at least pay his critters some attention, I do not live in the same universe as the pokémon in my game.
And he does pay attention to his mons if you actually watch the episodes? Atleast dislike him for the right reasons. Today I heard someone say Ep3 Goh is the same as current Goh. It's just laughable to which extremes people go to hate on Goh esp when most of the times they are just ...false. And let's not forget those comments where people said they wanted to torture the writers for coming up with Goh

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
And he does pay attention to his mons if you actually watch the episodes? Atleast dislike him for the right reasons. Today I heard someone say Ep3 Goh is the same as current Goh. It's just laughable to which extremes people go to hate on Goh esp when most of the times they are just ...false.
I may be a bit behind as my dub is about a year behind Japanese, but whatever. Sure there have been a few episodes where he showed some concern to his pokémon, although even in those episodes it's often not even Go's own actions that resolve the conflict of the episode, but rather some random other event, and when then on the very next episode he just tosses balls again to pokémon never to be named again it is hard to actually believe he cares. I've seen at least 20 episodes since he caught Sentret for instance, I haven't seen him care for that one since or even remember he has one. It's hard to actually envision him caring about his pokémon when you hardly ever see him interacting with them in any other way than ordering his Raboot to follow him to the next scene. It's what Sun and Moon did so much better, they actually had the pokémon interact with their trainers and do things together. Togedemaru had more interactions and personality between itself and Sophocles than Raboot has with Go.
And let's not forget those comments where people said they wanted to torture the writers for coming up with Goh
What does that have to do with any of this? Let authorities deal with people sending actual threats to real people instead of considering said folks as any substantial portion of the fandom at large.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't think any character deserves hate, although I do understand some of the complaints about his character, such as him having an easy time capturing Pokemon even though it's justified in this series given that Gou is basically a walking advertisement for Pokemon GO's capture mechanics. I think the main issue that people have with that is that he caught Suicune without doing much work, and also perhaps envy that Gou has caught so many Pokemon in this series while Satoshi has only caught about half a dozen so far.

However, some of the recurring criticisms that are used against him make little sense to me, such as the complaint about him not interacting with his Pokemon enough, which might've been true to an extent during the first dozen or so episodes, but isn't really as big of an issue now. I never understood how viewers could target him for a perceived lack of care for his own Pokemon when Satoshi himself has several dozen Pokemon at Okido-hakase's lab that he just abandoned there and hardly visits for more than one episode at a time once in a blue moon. Also, while the argument that Gou has gotten more screen-time than previous male companions isn't baseless, it feels redundant when viewers fret about Satoshi not being the star of every Pocket Monsters 2019 episode when Satoshi's got more than 1,000 episodes worth of screen-time compared to Gou's ~75.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Plenty of people also criticise Ash for the same thing. Also, Ash kind of has an excuse as it's more or less required by the marketing that he gets the new region's pokémon and mostly shows them off. And most of the old pokémon had their time and attention in their respective regions (not you Krabby). Go on the other hand has no such excuse. The writers chose his goal of catching all pokémon knowing fully well that there are close to 1000 different kinds and that Go's time in the show was likely going to be limited to 3 or 4 years. They knew fully well in advance that that was completely infeasible to do within that timespan while also giving each pokémon attention or a personality. The very nature of his goal and the timespan necessitates it becoming a rushed grind without much personality. And yet they chose that goal anyway, knowing it was going to be very hard to keep interesting to the audience and different, it's no wonder that the execution is lacking. Does that justify threats or other abuse to said writers? Of course not. I don't envy their position at all, having to juggle between producing this show under the constraints of marketing, with an eternally young main character that they kind of already did most things with, and trying to make an entertaining and engaging story in between all of it. But I do think they should have picked a more feasible goal for Go that didn't necessitate so much rushing through the plot.

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I may be a bit behind as my dub is about a year behind Japanese, but whatever. Sure there have been a few episodes where he showed some concern to his pokémon, although even in those episodes it's often not even Go's own actions that resolve the conflict of the episode, but rather some random other event, and when then on the very next episode he just tosses balls again to pokémon never to be named again it is hard to actually believe he cares. I've seen at least 20 episodes since he caught Sentret for instance, I haven't seen him care for that one since or even remember he has one. It's hard to actually envision him caring about his pokémon when you hardly ever see him interacting with them in any other way than ordering his Raboot to follow him to the next scene. It's what Sun and Moon did so much better, they actually had the pokémon interact with their trainers and do things together. Togedemaru had more interactions and personality between itself and Sophocles than Raboot has with Go.

What does that have to do with any of this? Let authorities deal with people sending actual threats to real people instead of considering said folks as any substantial portion of the fandom at large.
Considering where the dub is at the point still holds true (albeit you see A LOT more of the bonding aspect later on in the series then in the dub)
Ep 23, the cerise park episode where golurk goes beserk literally shows that as a daily routine Goh ALWAYS grooms, feeds and take care of his Pokémon. Brushing them himself and all. Clearly that shows HE does spend time with his mons. There's one argument that a lot of it is offscreened and I GET that, but claiming Goh doesn't care for his mons is blatantly untrue and shown false multiple times.

Also I brought that up as my point as how Goh has too many extremists as haters to the point it's riduculous, I can understand criticising him for valid reasons but the way these people go about it is dumb as hell

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I think it's too early to say Goh will stay for as long as gen 8 is around. The way the series is right now, it feels like they want to keep the format indefinetely without any major shake-ups besides maybe outfit changes, new "shoulder" mon and maybe a new girl.

Also I brought that up as my point as how Goh has too many extremists as haters to the point it's riduculous, I can understand criticising him for valid reasons but the way these people go about it is dumb as hell
Ok, I'll bite. What is a "valid reason" for you?