• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Going For Choke! (451)

Garbo

Not gonna read the entire thread to find out the answer:

Banette is a ghost pokemon right? How did Squirtle tackle it?

Knight_Ram

Not gonna read the entire thread to find out the answer:

Banette is a ghost pokemon right? How did Squirtle tackle it?

By a total fluke! It was such a stupid match really...

And those stupid random explosion are just so lame! And stupid! lol! How can a water move and a will-o-wisp make an explosion?! Stupid as!

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
One word, FLUKE!

How does may do it?! She does it juts about 4/5 of the contest's she enters!
She should have lost...Because she would have got a free ribbon given to her anyway! Thats what had pretty much happend in this contest! She hit a Ghost type with a normal attack! if she never had that then she would have lost... She deserved to lose! Jeeezzzzz she should of just used her Combusken. Would have been a better match up. I really dislike May now.. Shes a total fluke girl! lol I got to calm down but doesnt anyone else agree with me?! Please atleast be one... 8/10 for the battle, 5/10 for the lack of thinking during the episode...

Or you're pretty foolish for not realizing that ghost Pokemon have been hit by normal attacks plenty of times in the past.

Geodude said it all, really.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
people, people, if you wanna rag on Zenigame for winning ANOTHER battle, an act which I fully support, I think something like the Bubble deflecting Thunder like it was nothing is a better example of what to bring up.

Mello

Serial Fangirl
While this was an okay episode, I'm wondering what the point of having Drew in it was? May didn't even see him, and the only thing he said throughout the entire thing was "Mmm" and "Mhmm". Don't get me wrong, I love Drew, but why exactly was he in it?

Horn Drill

ヘタリア!
Big deal, you act as if that's the first time it's ever happened. -_- Short memory?

Actually, I can't really remember the last time a blatantly physical Normal type attack hit a Ghost Pokemon. You're probably right about it happening before, but I really can't think of an example right now.

Short answer: It's a Ghost, but a solid Ghost. Some can turn transparent, some either can't or don't. We've seen it happen before.

A solid Ghost? It's okay to admit that the anime has flawed logic every once and a while. You don't have to defend it to the death. :(

I actually think this was one of Squirtle's better battles. It deserved this win more than a lot of other ones IMO, even if it survived waaaaaay too many attacks.

Garbo

Sure, some ghosts can turn solid, as evidenced by ghost pokemon being hit by special attacks of a physical nature. However, by the law of the Pokemon world, pokemon classified as ghost type cannot be hit by normal attacks. There's no defending this. I don't recall it ever happening during a battle, and I don't see why it's excusable even if it did happen in the past.

Geodude

We've seen a Misdreavus take a Headbutt before and get caught in a net that it should have been able to phase through if it could. And we've seen Pikachu's Quick Attack bounce off of Dusclops, as the gang claimed that that didn't hurt it. So if Banette wasn't hurt by being hit physically with a Normal attack, surely the ensuing fall would've hurt it.

Last edited:

Garbo

Well, some special attacks are of a physical nature, so I'm going to assume that they can only phase through normal and fighting pokemon "attacks", leaving real world objects out of the picture. I don't recall Misdreavus taking a headbutt, nor Dusclops being hit by a normal attack, but like I said - I would consider those errors as well, since I don't see how that justifies certain Ghost types as being vulnerable to normal and fighting type attacks. A Ghost type is a Ghost type, and they have certain attributes, and one major one is that they cannot be hit my Fighting or Normal attacks. I don't think it's possible in the game to hit a Ghost type with those attacks, and yes, you can claim that the anime has taken many unorthodox liberties with a lot of the rules, such as Starmie being able to use Thunderbolt, but I'm pretty sure you can teach it in the game as well.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
I don't see what the big deal is anyway. Banette is a stuffed doll thing, so of course a physical contact move is going to hit it. So what, was Squirtle supposed to just bounce off the creature in comical fashion or something? It's like saying Shadow Ball shouldn't be able to do anything to a normal type, despite the fact it's a honking great ball of energy.

If people in this show are able to touch these pokémon without slipping through them, I don't see why a barge or a punch should be any different.

Nathan Madien

Me on a Good Day
I thought this was a great episode to end May's ribbon collecting on. It was great to see PUSA get Drew's character right, and the battle with Jessie was genuinely on-the-edge-of-your-seat exciting. I did think that it was odd for Squirtle to beat up Banette, but long ago I had accepted the fact that Pokemon does not use the same logic we in the real world use. That is why things we consider to be odd (like May not being able to see through Jessie's disguise or people just standing around in pitch black caves) take place almost unquestioned.

Jorah

What do I put here?
I liked this episode, except from Bubble deflecting Thunder, which I thought was odd. But it was a brilliant episode anyway. Nice to know they'll be going to Indigo Plateau again.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Ghost Pokemon in the Anime seem to have to "activate" their intangibility.
Indeed, and it seems to be something some of them don't know how to do (in addition to being trapped in a net we've seen a Misdreavus trapped under a tree).

Even that Dusclops owned by Brandon was effected by the Seismic Toss right up until the last second when it decided to make use of its Ghost type.

Really, throughout the series only the Gengar family has been consistently shown to phase through things like we imagine all the Ghost types can do. And even they have the ability to turn it on and off (i.e. whenever they make physical contact with someone on the show and effect them).

The trouble comes in that the anime only ever explains it in the simple game terms of "normal attacks don't work on Ghost types."

I fully believe that some of these events are simple mistakes on the part of the writers, but to those that balk at solid ghosts, Ghost type pokemon are NOT literal dead spirits, but simply a type of pokemon that can shift their bodies' dimensional planes, enabling their phasing, communication with the dead etc.

Gravy said:
It's like saying Shadow Ball shouldn't be able to do anything to a normal type, despite the fact it's a honking great ball of energy.
Indeed, though to be fair the anime has never said Ghost type moves don't effect Normal types (and I hope it never does as it is one of the type things that makes the least sense to me).

That being said, it wasn't that great of a battle as far as entertainment goes, but then again Jessie was doing the commanding and a poor job of it so what could we expect? At least the stuff occuring outside of the battle was well done enough.

As a last thing, did they really have to choose to have that attack be Thunder? It just looked so incredibly weak compared to any other Thunder in the series that I recall. Even if we assumed the anime decided to incorporate STAB the move still looked way too weak. It might have been acceptable as a Thunderbolt (which as I recall Banette can learn) but not as a Thunder, unless it could be said to have been using some kind of "partial Thunder."

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
LMAO @ Meowth's, "Don't let anyone see you walking like that!" to Harley.

My god, do the Contest eps have the best dialouge in the show or what?

wobbanut

Team Awesome
This episode didn't help me like Harley any better, especially the way he blames Team Rocket for everything at the end. Jessie's battle against May was pretty good, though. I really think that that frustration attack on Squirtle should have done a whole lot more damage than it did. I know Brock was right about frustration being more effective since banette was working with a trainer that it wasn't used to, but then Squirtle should have been looking pretty beat up afterward. Even better, like I said with part one, Jessie should have used cacturne in the second half. I like May's Squirtle, unlike some people, but I really think Jessie should have gotten a win. I've got my hopes up for the Sinnou region, at least a little, but the way Jessie has improved with her contests she should have really gotten in a win.

I loved Drew in this episode, it was great that he came to the rescue for the twerps. :) I'm also glad that James finally called Ash by name for the first time in this episode, joining May in the group of twerps who've been called by name by all three members of Team Rocket. I'm also glad Harley finally confirmed that it's not against the rules to use others' pokemon in the contests. Glad to know that Jessie using Cacnea, Mime Jr., and Chimecho wasn't against the rules. :)

Overall, 8/10.

Ashy Boy

Paul's #1 Rival
I really enjoyed Harley dissing Team Rocket (especially Jessie) for their incompetence.

BTW, is it me or did Squirtle have a different voice? If so it sounded somewhat similar?

Rebeccag

this episode made me laugh espically the line when Meouth went to Harley "Dont let anybody see you walking like that". also when Drew said i only did it so May would have somebody watching her*raises eyebrow* yeah right Drew