• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Going for Gold (825)

HoundoomFan

shy shipper
Or there's s reason for Serena not to get a Corsola is that someone else did caught a Corsola back then traveling with Ash which Misty has one back during in the Johto region .

I don't think that's the cause since May got a Bulbasaur and Dawn got a Cyndaquil, both of which Ash had caught. Besides, newer fans wouldn't really be familiar with Misty & her Corsola, so it would be fine to let someone in Ash's group to get one I think.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I really don't see a problem with Serena catching a Corsola, even if Misty does own one, both Dawn and Ash own a Quilava and that worked out pretty well imo. Anyways this episode is pretty much a boring filler episode, though I did like the reference to Dawn's Piplup. I'm glad that the Misty lure didn't appear here, we don't always need it to appear for every fishing episode.

Last edited:

Vipsoccermaster

A fine episode. The episode offered some nice references. It's true that Misty would have loved the aquarium. And I didn't catch James saying Wobbuffet, but damn, that was hilarious.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
The guy who drowned looked like a Brock but than I realized he looked like a younger version of the fisher but that would mean the fisher never saw the Golden Magickarp?

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This was a pretty good episode. I found Bonnie hilarious in this one.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
I never bothered watching this episode in Japanese, but now that I've watched the dub of it, I must say that Ash's memory has really picked up! Guess it was all those flashbacks in late BW that made him finally start remembering things from his past.. Good old Piplup, I've actually grown rather fond of it since it left..

Bakphoon™

Heated Fury
8/10 Rating.
It was an awesome episode. I liked how Ash was telling Serena that he had seen a different Piplup than these (Dawn's Piplup). Seeing Clauncher in action was fun. And at the end the Golden Magikarp was amazing.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
It was a good episode, I loved the Dawn reference.
Would have been better without Clemont's inventions

For some reason, whenever there's callbacks to past characters in this show, I enjoy them a little more when they're a bit more subtle like Ash's callback to Dawn's Piplup in this episode. :)

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Yawn...Oh, what, that's it? Going for the Gold is a mindless episode with very little story and character. This episode's "plot" centers around the legend of a giant golden Magikarp off the coast of Ambrette Town, and Ash & Co. task themselves with helping the town's aquarium director, Rodman, with catching said fish. Rodman also has a Clauncher that shows itself to be quite stern and stubborn until thrust into action against baddies like Team Rocket, where it is quick to defend the innocent Dedenne and the like. It's a pointless one-episode character arc that isn't really even an arc because our heroes didn't invoke this change on Clauncher--it already had this stern yet resolute personality before the episode, as indicated by Rodman's comments throughout. The episode itself involves our heroes trying to catch the golden Magikarp but failing miserably, only for it to randomly jump out of the water at the end of the episode...Great? It is a true deus ex machina ending that is not fulfilling in the slightest.

This episode didn't even have a "problem", per say. Every decent story ever written has a dilemma of some sort, but the task of catching this legendary Magikarp doesn't feel at all important or pressing whatsoever. There's no suspense, no emotion, no character, no fun. I found myself quite disappointed by the episode's end, almost in a state of shock based on how little actually happened. Plot summary: Ash & Co. toured an aquarium, they tried to catch a fish, they didn't, the fish decided to show up anyway. Now that's entertainment.

Grade: D

LizardonX

Banned
This episode was dreadful, even by filler standards.

But I'm suprised Ash remembered Piplup but had to dex a magikarp.

Selective memory anyone?

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
Ahhh, the episode where we all thought Misty's lure would make a debut. It didn't make sense how Ash used it in DP but not in XY, maybe he just learned his lesson, I guess. I enjoyed Dawn's piplup being mentioned. I remember when it came out, I did NOT expect that.

Sort of wished Serena caught the Corsola, could definitely see her with one.

Another failed Team Rocket filler. 7/10

*Frank*

Piplup reference made this episode totally enjoyable DPplot/10. Kidding
I was really hoping for Serena to get that Corsola, but I guess I expected too much?
That Clauncher was the real deal, though. I like him. no homo

Gillachu

Banned
I don't get why Ash remembering Piplup here was even a big deal. With how much screen time Dawn's Piplup got in D&P, of course Ash would remember him...

JudySpell

Banned
The golden Magikarp should've been caught by Serena. What a shame but I liked the Dawn's Piplup reference and the tsundere Clauncher also. 8/10

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Okay episode. It continues to be a bit annoying that the show has only used the word "shiny" once in its history (the onix episode) up to this point, they keep avoiding using the word for some reason when it's so obvious (and trust me, folks, I've kept track). Just say it's a shiny magickarp, dangit, that's special enough, not just the fact that it rescued someone once. It was interesting to see one of Clemont's inventions actually survive the episode as well (the lanturn one). Apart from the Clembot, I think it was the first one not to explode up to this point. And nice seeing a Corsola again too, I always liked that pokemon. :) Seeing both a Piplup and a Corsola made me nostalgic.

Otherwise, the episode wasn't all that memorable.

6/10

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I enjoyed the first few minutes when the gang were exploring the aquarium and seeing all the different aquatic Pokemon. It's just so nice to see them and the mention of Dawn's Piplup made me even happier.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I adore beach episodes like this one. The Ambrette aquarium looked pretty and I liked seeing Ash's friends fishing and how the Clauncher seemed timid. I just wish that Serena had caught that Corsola. ^^;