• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gold, Silver and Crystal on 3DS VC - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurantis

Autism Love
Can someone help me with a question? I want to shiny hunt the legendary beasts on gold VC but I'm not sure if I have to SR from the burned tower release? or is it upon first encounter? does anyone know?

Nidogod

So does anyone know if the capture rate bug with status changes was fixed? From my understanding the oriignal releases had a catch rate increase of 0 instead of 5 when the said pokemon was burned, frozen, poisoned or paralyzed.

For better or worse these are direct ports so those glitches still apply.

Anyone else feel that the Feraligatr line is restrictive in terms of team-making? I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep Croconaw at the moment or ditch it for Chinchou and raise a Lanturn. I think they'd perform about equally, but I feel that Lanturn's stats and movepool are more consistent with each other than with Feraligatr, who has a lot of physical attack but only gets Slash by level up. (I'm giving earthquake to Sandslash once I find the TM so that's out)
Thoughts? Team-making is always hard for me when I play through these games for fun again : (

Yeah, Feraligatr is one of my favorite Pokemon, but he was vastly underpowered until the 4th gen. Like you said, he's a water type that doesn't do water well and a physical attacker that is limited in physical attacks. It's not like Meganium is much better and the Typhlosion line's level up offensive moves are practically non-existent. This gen's starters kinda sucked.

I'm personally holding off on getting one of these. When I got Yellow on the VC I was under the impression that they were going to implement wifi trading/battling. I'm probably nitpicking but for me personally, $10 is pretty steep for basically a rom of a 20 year old Gameboy game.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I'm personally holding off on getting one of these. When I got Yellow on the VC I was under the impression that they were going to implement wifi trading/battling. I'm probably nitpicking but for me personally, $10 is pretty steep for basically a rom of a 20 year old Gameboy game.

It's really not when you consider that wireless (local) trading between R/B/Y/G/S and transferring to Generation 7 through Pokemon Transporter and Bank are now a thing. Especially when you don't have to worry about a battery dying and deleting your save file.

You also have to consider that those 20 year old cartridges don't sell for less than $20-30 on the secondary market, and then you have to replace the battery which requires a special screw driver, a $2-4 battery, and some ingenuity.

BCVM22

When I got Yellow on the VC I was under the impression that they were going to implement wifi trading/battling.

but why

I'm probably nitpicking but for me personally, $10 is pretty steep for basically a rom of a 20 year old Gameboy game.

$10 is reasonable for an extremely prolific game that can no longer be found on the secondary market in any reasonable fashion, and the hardware for which hasn't been produced in over a decade, updated partially to modern functionality and for compatibility with the current standard, and for which the digital format means no chance of damage, wear, or malfunction.

AmethystLeslie

Also, these are pokemon you can easily transfer over to Bank, and are guaranteed Hidden Abilities, have movesets not seen since Gen 1 or 2 (outside of events), and locked to 3IVs minimum. Migrating from Gen 1 may also bring a shiny (i didn't mention Gen 2, since well, you'd know if you got a shiny). Also, Gens 1 and 2 are among the best games in their respective systems, despite having mechanics that are considered dated now.

inguinha

Makes me really happy to see that this games are still so good to play nowadays, I have the remakes but they just don't feel the same.

The day and night cycle, the cozy atmosphere, the art style (which I love), the music, are all amazing, but I forgot how much I hate the HM, physical/special split and Pokémon distribution.

Nidogod

It's really not when you consider that wireless (local) trading between R/B/Y/G/S and transferring to Generation 7 through Pokemon Transporter and Bank are now a thing. Especially when you don't have to worry about a battery dying and deleting your save file.

You also have to consider that those 20 year old cartridges don't sell for less than $20-30 on the secondary market, and then you have to replace the battery which requires a special screw driver, a $2-4 battery, and some ingenuity.

I keep forgetting how much Pokemon Go jacked up the used cartridge prices. But again, just personal preference. I don't know anyone else who owns a 3DS let alone these games so I'm hindered in that regard.

Ha, because there was speculation about it and I let my imagination run wild. I may or may not have read "wireless" as "Wifi" a few times and got my hopes up.

$10 is reasonable for an extremely prolific game that can no longer be found on the secondary market in any reasonable fashion, and the hardware for which hasn't been produced in over a decade, updated partially to modern functionality and for compatibility with the current standard, and for which the digital format means no chance of damage, wear, or malfunction.

Have to disagree. For one, not that I condone illegally emulating games when there are legitimate legal copies available for sale, but the fact of the matter is that Gameboy emulation has been perfect for a long time now. With a lot of unnecessary work you can get these games running on an iPod Classic, or hell you can even get a Gameboy emulator running on your 3DS. Again, not calling these alternatives to buying the game, just suggesting that no one at Nintendo had to pull any long nights getting these titles running.

Also, from what I see, every GB game on the VC runs for $2-$6 except for the 5 Pokemon games. If Nintendo wants to charge more for these, more power to them. Like I said, I bought one myself. Will be holding off for now though, at least until Crystal is announced.

BCVM22

I never said anyone at Nintendo had to “pull any long nights” for anything. I did say all of those were tangible benefits over using some rinky dink emulator on your iPhone, to the point where the features and benefits make it worth the $10.

“These can be pirated much easier” isn’t really relevant to the discussion at any rate. Unfortunately, everything can be pirated much easier today.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I keep forgetting how much Pokemon Go jacked up the used cartridge prices.

I don't think Go had anything to do with it. Most of them were already above their original retail price, even without their original packaging, just because they are hard to find now. HGSS always seem to be the most expensive.

Pokemon Power

Just announced everyone! Pokemon Crystal will be released on 3DS VC on January 26th, 2018. The best part is with this version, you'll get a chance to catch the Mythical Pokemon Celebi! Now Pokemon that you caught in every main series game can be brought to Generation VII! Any thoughts?

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Well there it is, the last main game to be transferred to the current gen.

I've already bought Silver so I'm passing on this. Even if I adored Crystal more than G&S. I could've waited, oh well.

Last edited:

Pokemon Power

Well there it is, the last main game to be transferred to the current gen.

I've already bought Silver so I'm passing on this. Even if I adored Crystal more than G&S. I could've waited, oh well.

Who said you couldn't have both? I have both Gold and Silver on my 3DS.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Gotta say I'm glad I waited, from what I recall Crystal felt like a more complete game than Gold and Silver.

Dr. Eeviil

I've already got both Gold & Silver (on different 3DSs even), and I'm going to get Crystal as well.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Just announced everyone! Pokemon Crystal will be released on 3DS VC on January 26th, 2018. The best part is with this version, you'll get a chance to catch the Mythical Pokemon Celebi! Now Pokemon that you caught in every main series game can be brought to Generation VII! Any thoughts?

I'm so excited about it. Looking forward to play through it again. :)

AmethystLeslie

Awesome that Crystal's coming to VC! Apparently we're getting it 3 days earlier than Japan, also cool. I'm a bit burnt out from Johto, but now tha I have a chance for a fricken Celebi that they just give to you (or something) for doing the GS Ball event, that's also really cool. I'm considering shiny hunting for Celebi and Nuzlocking Crystal. A different experience during a different experience.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The fact that Pokemon Crystal version's coming to the Virtual Console is good news, and the fact that the Celebi event with the GS Ball will be retained in the Japanese version is even better. Why VC Crystal wasn't released along with VC G/S months ago is beyond me, though.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
The fact that Pokemon Crystal version's coming to the Virtual Console is good news, and the fact that the Celebi event with the GS Ball will be retained in the Japanese version is even better. Why VC Crystal wasn't released along with VC G/S months ago is beyond me, though.

Maybe they still had some bugs to work out of it.

Frankly I'm just glad it's coming out at all.

And the fact that it's coming out later gave me the chance to get both Gold and Silver.

I didn't mind waiting a bit more to get Crystal.

Heck yea. Love that, I'll be definitely trying to shiny hunt that Celebi.

Status
Not open for further replies.