1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Gold, Silver and Crystal on 3DS VC - Discussion

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation I & II Discussion' started by Pokemon Power, Jun 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Only issue there, if issue it is, is that there's no indication as to how long you might be waiting. There seem to be indications in the VC G/S coding that it exists or existed in some form and could be coming, but we know nothing beyond that.

The good news, of course, is that as digital releases it's not as if you have to worry about them running out of stock or going out of print or anything.

2. Haruka's Swimsuit

Haruka's Swimsuit Bomberhead 18-kin!

Has anyone that owns both Sun & Moon tested whether the Serebii code works more than once?
    I'm planning on getting one of the Ultras, but I don't think I'm patient enough to wait to save the code I have until they come out...

3. Team Volt Grunt

Team Volt Grunt Pokémon Collector

If you're referring to the code to receive Celebi from your receipt for buying Gold or Silver, the code is one time use.

4. Haruka's Swimsuit

Haruka's Swimsuit Bomberhead 18-kin!

Alright. I was considering getting the other VC game, if possible. So I won't worry about saving my code.

5. Dr. Eeviil

Dr. Eeviil Well-Known Member

I've got 2 3DSs so I already bought both of them. My New 3DS is my main system, and the 3DSXL is the other one. But I'll be using all the codes on my New 3DS, because it's the one connected to my "real" store account and Pokemon Bank.

At one time, back in the naughties, I owned 4 GBCs, 3 copies of yellow, and one each of Red, Blue, Silver, Gold and Crystal. Also a Gameshark, and a Gameshark memory backup card.

I've actually purchased, probably 6 or 7 GBCs, but I lost one and gave a couple away to my sister's kids when newer, spiffier colors came out.

Well, rats. Apparently you can only get one Celebi per game, even if it's a different code. I guess I'll have to save it until I get UM.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  6. Munchy

Munchy =)

So I don't know if I've been ignorant or what, but I never knew you could use Cut to clear out tall grass in these games (and apparently Gen I and III too). I've played Pokémon since Red and I've never known this haha, up until know when in Gold I accidentally used Cut in tall grass. Mindblown.

7. Dr. Eeviil

Boy, now I remember why I had over 500 hours played in Silver. It's take FOREVER to hatch any eggs. I'm trying to pop out a couple of Eevees, and it feels like it's been hours.

8. snormunch15

snormunch15 Well-Known Member

Hey so I am trying to get a metal coat to evolve my scyther before the elite four(its level 30 now so it will learn metal claw on evolving). The problem is that I have ripped through scores of magnemite without finding one. I am currently using thief to find the items, but I checked and saw magnemite is supposed to have a 5%chance to hold one. If that were the case statistically I would have found about 4 by now. Just to check I used thief on a wild Miltank which is supposed to have 100% chance of having moomoo milk and I got nothing from that. Is anyone else having a similar problem? Is this a glitch or did they disable wild held items for some reason? I am already kind of disappointed I have to wait til post game for a fire stone for my growlithe, not trying to do that same for scizor.

9. Aquarelle

Aquarelle Well-Known Member Staff Member

The only thing I can think of is to make sure your Thief user isn't already holding an item. Thief won't steal anything if the user has an item already.

I can confirm that wild hold items are definitely still a thing since the Miltank I caught for my team was holding a Moomoo Milk.

EDIT: It seems like Moomoo Milk is actually not a 100% item on Miltank after all:
    If your Thief user isn't holding anything, then you're just having some bad luck getting items. The only thing you can do in that case is keep trying.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  10. ArcanineShrine014029

ArcanineShrine014029 Well-Known Member

Anyone else feel that the Feraligatr line is restrictive in terms of team-making? I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep Croconaw at the moment or ditch it for Chinchou and raise a Lanturn. I think they'd perform about equally, but I feel that Lanturn's stats and movepool are more consistent with each other than with Feraligatr, who has a lot of physical attack but only gets Slash by level up. (I'm giving earthquake to Sandslash once I find the TM so that's out)
    Thoughts? Team-making is always hard for me when I play through these games for fun again : (

11. Ludakrix

Ludakrix Legen-waitforit-dary

If you're concerned about TM usage, you can always use the well-known cloning glitch to make more copies of the Earthquake TM.

12. Cranster

Cranster New Member

So does anyone know if the capture rate bug with status changes was fixed? From my understanding the oriignal releases had a catch rate increase of 0 instead of 5 when the said pokemon was burned, frozen, poisoned or paralyzed.

13. DjVero

DjVero New Member

Is it worth buying these games? I'm pretty much only interested in Celebi.

14. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

That’s entirely up to you. If you find value in nostalgia and in playing a game as it was seventeen years ago, sure. The games don’t provide a ton of value beyond that - they can be very difficult to play if you’re used to the modern standard, though you will eventually be able to transfer Pokémon ahead to Generation VII.

If you’re really only in it for the Celebi, I personally would not pay the current cost of these games solely for a Celebi, but it’s your money and your decision to make in that regard.

15. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Still miss you, Lorne. Staff Member Moderator

Nice! Might try that trick too.

Working on getting a shiny starter in Silver version. It's very, very stubborn.

16. FallBird

FallBird Well-Known Member

Hi guys! I know that this isn't quite the right place for this, but I'm having a ton of trouble finding a virtual console trade partner to help evolve my Poliwhirl. I've also seen people say that the VC games aren't compatible with Wi-Fi trading, but I feel like that's some silly rumor. If anyone would be able to help, please let me know! I've got some good trade fodder in Sun as a thank you gift. <3

17. Aquarelle

Aquarelle Well-Known Member Staff Member

It’s not a rumour - the VC games are local wireless only. There’s no internet trading with these games, so you have to either buy another 3DS system & game and trade with yourself or meet up with a trade partner in real life.

18. FallBird

FallBird Well-Known Member

Oh no.. Thank you for telling me! I couldn't find it on the main website for Serebii, so I didn't believe it. Guess I'm getting a different water type!

19. Dr. Eeviil

So what do you guys use for a catcher? I spent a lot of time trying to get a Parasect to work back in the old days, since it could learn both Spore and False Swipe (egg move). But it was just too fragile. Everything would beat it up, unless it was way over-leveled. I didn't use Smeargle originally, but I've tried it in other games and it has the same problem. Too weak in the attack, not enough D or HP to survive for long. If I was to try using a Mean Look/False Swipe/Hypnosis Smeargle with the repel trick for a legendary cat-dog catcher I'm pretty sure it would get quickly murdelized.

One of the best catchers I ever had was in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. If you had Pokemon Box after depositing a certain number of pokemon (50 or 100) you would get an egg for a Swablu that knew False Swipe. Level it up to learn Sing and Dragon Dance and evolve to Altaria, and it was awesome.

20. AmethystLeslie

AmethystLeslie Well-Known Member

I have a Jynx for catching roamers, with Lovely Kiss and Mean Look. My issue is that i cannot outspeed Raikou, cuz he flees before i do anything because fleeing is down to speed in this game, so i'm just down to using balls.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.