• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gold, Silver and Crystal on 3DS VC - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemon Power

Well, as many of us fans hoped when Red, Blue and Yellow were re-released, Pokemon Gold and Silver are coming to the 3DS Virtual Console! Strangely there's no Crystal, but maybe they're waiting for 2018. What are your thoughts?
EDIT 12/14: Crystal is coming too on January 26th, 2018!

Last edited:

Vroomer

I am totally on this hype train! And they will have Bank compatibility! This is awesome. Great news. Love it! I've been sad because I don't want to change out the batteries in Silver & Crystal. (Gold's still in shrink.) This announcement is most appreciated! Oh yes! Oh yes!

So, with a 3DS, we'll now have Gens 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, & 7 available. 5 VC games and the rest on carts. That's pretty amazing if you think about it. One console has access across to all those generations. Simply amazing.

Will they VC Crystal & gen 3? No idea. Would insta buy them all though.

Kalosian

So long
It happened, and I'm not surprised. I'm somehow happy that these games are to be released for the 3DS Virtual Console, but I'm not interested in getting them myself. Had Crystal been included, it would have been a different story as I had considered maybe getting Crystal for the 3DS (but that's still a very big maybe). Why am I interested in it when the Johto games are my least favorites? Well, Crystal is still my favorite Johto game, and I considered getting it since the battery for my Crystal cart has died long ago. I also had some things I wanted to do in my original Crystal which I never got around to. So yeah. I won't get either of these games but maybe Crystal if it should get released in the future... a big maybe.

Well I have been looking forward to seeing an eShop release of them ever since last year. Having played the originals, this is a really good thing to hear. Course now I need to decide which Pokemon I am going have on my team as well as the theme of the nicknames I will be using for my team members. I also have to make sure I follow my two rules regarding nicknames.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I'm glad that we'll see Gold and Silver for the Virtual Console even if it took longer than I expected hee hee. I'm excited to see if we'll receive a special Celebi distribution to go with these games like how we got the Mew event for VC R/B/Y.

Lumineon457

What, does GF hate Crystal or something? First, they replace her with Liera, then they don't put her game on VC.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
What, does GF hate Crystal or something? First, they replace her with Liera, then they don't put her game on VC.

Well I figure that we might still get Crystal on the Virtual Console, but that the announcement focused on Silver and Gold cuz they came first in chronology. :]

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Omg, I'm so thrilled about these games! Finally, I can own the original Gold & Silver without fretting about the damn internal battery running out and deleting my save file.

Dr. Eeviil

I am totally on this hype train! And they will have Bank compatibility! This is awesome. Great news. Love it! I've been sad because I don't want to change out the batteries in Silver & Crystal. (Gold's still in shrink.) This announcement is most appreciated! Oh yes! Oh yes!

So, with a 3DS, we'll now have Gens 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, & 7 available. 5 VC games and the rest on carts. That's pretty amazing if you think about it. One console has access across to all those generations. Simply amazing.

Will they VC Crystal & gen 3? No idea. Would insta buy them all though.

If you still have an original DS or DS Lite, you can transfer your Gen 3 pokemon too. That's how I got my original Groudon, Kyogre & Rayquaza to Moon. Eventually.

But if they don't put out Crystal on the VC, I'm going to be majorly irked. I would really love it if they put out Pokemon Stadium, or Stadium 2 on the VC. I might even consider buying a Switch if they had it on a Switch VC.

I've actually still got a couple of GBCs, a GBA, GBA-SP, DS Lite, DSi, 3DS XL and new 3DS, plus all my original cartridges.

I guess this means I'm going to have to start lugging my 3DS XL around now, so I can finish off Blue. I finished Yellow on my new 3DS, then picked up a copy of Blue so I could trade back and forth, pokedex completion, etc.

Last edited:

Genos

The Indigo Disk
I gasped when the Gym leader battle music started playing after the Ultra SM info. I'm so happy about this, gen 2 is my all time favorite. I was hoping they'll continue on putting the old Pokemon games on the 3DS VC. Wonder why Crystal wasn't in this.

Excited! Gonna buy Silver!

Last edited:

Aquarelle

Staff member
I am so happy that this was announced. After playing RBY on my 3DS, I've been really wanting to re-play Gold/Silver.

Finally, I can own the original Gold & Silver without fretting about the damn internal battery running out and deleting my save file.
This is one of the biggest reasons I'm glad the games are coming to the VC, tbh. I just checked my Gold cartridge a few minutes ago and found out that the battery finally gave out, so now all three of my GSC games have dead batteries. Now, I won't have to worry about the battery dying (or trying to replace it...).

I'll buy both Gold & Silver, though I'll use Gold as my main version. My physical copy of Gold was the first Pokemon game I owned.

Aquarelle

Staff member
On Gold, I'm definitely choosing Cyndaquil and using Typhlosion on my team in honour of my original Gold save file.

For my first Silver playthrough, not sure yet...I've really liked using the Totodile line in the past, but I would like to use Chikorita more. I think the only time I had Meganium on a Gen 2 team was on a Crystal playthrough a long time ago.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I'm getting both Gold and Silver, and I will chose the two startesr my friend doesn't choose.

For example, if he chose Cynaquil, then I will choose Chikorita and Totodile.

AmethystLeslie

I completely understand why Crystal wasn't coming out along with GS for the time being. If Crystal came out along with GS on the same day, Crystal would completely overshadow them in terms of sales, even if there were people that would rather get GS over Crystal anyway. I do hope we get Crystal in the future, however.

As for what starter I want, I'm thinking Totodile. I've used Cyndaquil in SoulSilver, loved him. I've used Chikorita in Moon, it really is terrible, although I did a full team sweep with Meganium on Showdown before, so I have some respect for it. Point is, I've never used Totodile before, hopefully things will go well. Still need to decide on version, however.

Vroomer

On Gold, I'm definitely choosing Cyndaquil and using Typhlosion on my team in honour of my original Gold save file.

For my first Silver playthrough, not sure yet...I've really liked using the Totodile line in the past, but I would like to use Chikorita more. I think the only time I had Meganium on a Gen 2 team was on a Crystal playthrough a long time ago.

That is how I will be playing my Gold, too.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Silver was the first main series Pokémon game I ever played.

Back then, I didn't know anything. I didn't even know what Special Defense was. I'm actually very excited to play Silver (or perhaps Gold) again with all the knowledge I've gained over the last 15 years.

One thing's for sure, Whitney is getting her *** kicked this time.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
If I ever want to, I'll get Silver to honour all those childhood memories of me playing it. It wasn't actually mine, but my cousin's, so he sort of gifted me with it. I may choose either Chikorita or Totodile, who was my (or rather, my cousin's) original starter.

(The reason I say 'if' is because I have SoulSilver, and I've gotten very far on that game, so I'm kind of mulling over if I want to start my Johto journey all over again from the very beginning. Chikorita is who I chose on the remake.)

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Silver is the first game of the franchise I owned, is the reason I collected many childhood memories and how I learned English; by using a dictionary to translate the NPC's and solving the puzzles in the story-mode. Not that I'd like to have Hidden Abilities of Johto Pokémon for US/UM, but I'd love to pay a re-visit to the old Johto and cherish the memories once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.