• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Good Games that never became popular

jacobii

Third Wheel in J#+IB
I'm sure we could all name a lot of games we love bet are not on the best sellers list.

One of my all time favorite games is NBA street 2. Eventhough the rosters are extremely outdated, I still find myself making epic dunks with Garnett, creating a stud player, and using the make believe street ledgends and NBA.
It's the only place you'll see Magic Johnson owning Reggie Miller.

Epilouge: Sadly NBA street 4 was the last in 2007 and the series shows no sign of coming back. It's a shame I'd love to be able to use Derik Rose and
Kevin Durant.

With that said, I'm curious of the under rated games that you grew to love.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
the spyro games. One of the ones for the GBA was really good.

mario_fan

Kawaiibunkle
IMO Madworld it was a fun game but it didn't sell well causing it to go from $40 to around $5 in stores

skittle 286

I would definetly say Okami on wii!!! Best game ever!
if u like Zelda you would definetly like okami it is soo similar to Zelda just you play as a white epic wolf!
the only down side is it is very rare to find in the shops :(

Monochromatic

A.k.a: Nemo
I would definetly say Okami on wii!!! Best game ever!
if u like Zelda you would definetly like okami it is soo similar to Zelda just you play as a white epic wolf!
the only down side is it is very rare to find in the shops :(

I have Okami on the PS2. It's a pretty awesome game.

I have a few games that I think are really good but aren't really that popular:

- Neopets: The Darkest Faerie (Yes it sounds cheesy, but it isn't bad).
- The "Sly" Series (It's about a raccoon thief and his team of rag-tag criminals).
- Thr "Worms" Series (Hilarious worms blowing each other up with everything from bazookas to baseball bats).

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
Spyro? Never popular?

Obviously you never played the PlayStation games when they were released.

The GBA games weren't that popular. I played the playstation one. It's awesome!

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
IMO Madworld it was a fun game but it didn't sell well causing it to go from $40 to around $5 in stores
F-Zero GX got that treatment, sort of... It was normal price, but now you can find it for $5 to $8. It felt like a really good racing game, yet I feel like it just didn't quite reach it's full selling potential. It seems to have quite a fanbase though.

Earthbound, as mentioned earlier was a superb game for it's time and even now. Now, though, it feels that there is a big price barrier preventing many people from trying it. I just went ahead and went through the barrier. Yes, I went ahead and got it.

Pikmin 2 deserves a mention because it the concept seemed a little two "out-there" for many audiences. The game's easy concept belies its true adventure and challenge.

Though all the games I mentioned either had relatively good sales or popularity, I feel that they could have potentially went further. It's just my two cents anyways.

Dattebayo

Banned
Punch Out!!, it didn't reach Mario/Zelda/Kirby/Pokemon status. ;_;

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Punch Out!!, it didn't reach Mario/Zelda/Kirby/Pokemon status. ;_;
Why would you expect it to do so. Mario and Pokemon are the first and second best selling franchises respectively, so two games wouldn't get that far. Zelda and Kirby have, along and especially with Mario and Pokemon have advertisements coming out of everywhere and have much more games than just one game that happened to be good and fairly well received.

Dattebayo

Banned
Why would you expect it to do so. Mario and Pokemon are the first and second best selling franchises respectively, so two games wouldn't get that far. Zelda and Kirby have, along and especially with Mario and Pokemon have advertisements coming out of everywhere and have much more games than just one game that happened to be good and fairly well received.

Punch Out!!'s considered a classic by everyone who lived/grew up in the 80's; therefore, any game that's considered a classic by 80's people should be in Mario/Zelda/Kirby/Pokemon status.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Punch Out!!'s considered a classic by everyone who lived/grew up in the 80's; therefore, any game that's considered a classic by 80's people should be in Mario/Zelda/Kirby/Pokemon status.
Except more games/advertisements/merchandise/etc. would rack up more popularity. Heck, do you think Scrooge McDuck would be recognized as a superbly celebrated video game icon? How about Ristar?

Chris

Old Coot
The GBA games weren't that popular
Because they were a joke compared to the originals. Same as the newer titles. Primarily because it wasn't made by the original group behind the first few games. Once Insomniac Games was no longer involved, the series spiraled downward.

The exact same thing happened with Crash Bandicoot.

Waldorf

ungrateful
Psychic Politoed said:
F-Zero GX got that treatment, sort of... It was normal price, but now you can find it for $5 to $8. It felt like a really good racing game, yet I feel like it just didn't quite reach it's full selling potential. It seems to have quite a fanbase though.

F-Zero GX is probably better-known for that one famous anonymous tirade on how the CPU flagrantly cheats during races than for its own merits. I will say that it was one of the very few GCN games that really showed its power in the graphics department, and still manages to outshine the vast majority of Wii games.

I sometimes resent that Game Arts' JRPGs, namely LUNAR: The Silver Star Story Complete and Grandia, never cemented a place for themselves among Western JRPG fans like many PSX-era SquareSoft titles did, or even like the Tales series has, more recently. Then of course Grandia III came along and soiled the name of the series forever, and the PSP port of LUNAR is pretty shoddy.

The Fatal Frame series never achieved the level of notoriety among survival horror fans that the genre's godheads (Silent Hill and Resident Evil) did, which is a shame because they're great (the third one in particular is), and the fourth game wasn't localized (officially). On the same note, Rule of Rose is one of the most interesting games of its generation from a cinematic standpoint period, but the terrible combat alienated even survival horror fans.