• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Good Pokémon with bad evolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilex

Oddish plzkthnxbai
Good Pokémon with bad evolutions

EDIT: It appears that I put this in misc.disscussion. Can a mod please move it to pokemon discussion, I wasn't thinking at the time X_X

First of all, I'd like to say that I used the search feature with varying keywords, yet I didn't find anything.

This thread is about Pokémon that you liked, but they ended up having really crappy evolutions.
I'd like to talk about Oddish. It was a great Pokémon, it had great focus points. With soft eyes, a cute mouth and large leaves, it was a good Pokémon that pulled off being masculine and had a lot of potential for a good evolution. They could've made it more humanoid in appearance, or made it into a large tree Pokémon like Shiftry or Victreebel. Here is an example of what they could've done.
But instead they made Gloom. I was utterly disappointed with it. One of Oddish's main parts that made it a great Pokemon was the cute little mouth. they took that feature away and replaced it with an overly large retarded mouth. I hate how they added all the droll onto Gloom, it was a real turn off. even the name "Gloom" sucks. they replaced Oddish's cute little eyes with drooping eyes that add to the dopiness of it. The designers could've made it have more advanced looking leaves, but instead they placed a dead bulb on top really, placing a little squished apple-looking thing on a Pokemon is an automatic turn-off. All they did to Change Oddish's anatomy is giving it a flimsy pair arms. Altogether Gloom looks like a drunken plant that you would find wandering across a highway at 2am.
Now onto Vileplume. I hated this Pokemon. It looks as though they wanted to regain the Pokemons beauty after looking like a drunk for a whole evolutionary stage, but they did terrible at it. Oddish could pull off cute eyes and a small mouth and still look masculine, like a little boy. But they tried the same for Vileplume, and failed. you would expect a full-evolution to be string and intimidating, not small and the same size as it's pre-evose. The flower didn't help either. It was too big for it's body and overshadowed it.
Lastly, time for Bellsossom. it completely stripped Oddish of the little pride it still had left. When I heard Oddish had a new evolution coming, I got excited. I was hoping it would be masculine to give Oddish some hope, and to make it so Oddish had one female evolution and one male one. I was wrong. So very wrong. Bellossom has got to be the most disappointing Pokemon ever. Not only did it look too-feminine, it looked weak. IMO they should've made it a separate Pokemon from the Oddish line. It looks nothing like them, except for it's eyes. I don't even like it's hula-dancer theme. And wtf is it shorter than Oddish?
-----------
Woah, I had to get that off my chest. So how about you guys?

Last edited:
i feel that golbat is a really cool pokemon, but like you i dislike the evolution of one of my fave pokemon. CROBAT. it looks really stipid and doesnt have legs.
i would have liked it is golbat was the final evolution cos it is bigger than crobat too.
i understand your pain

PS can you answer my forum please?

Atomic Boo

Oddium Wanderus ftw
I agree with the Gloom thoughts completely.
Gloom is a complete turn off for me as it looks like a decaying flower, regardless of it meaning to be the creation of a flower.
Then again I would expect Vileplume to be a turn off because of the plant it mimics, the rotten fish smelling 'Giant lily' (Rafflesia) plant.

I can't agree as much on the topic of Bellossom as I was so happy when it came out because it was such an improvement on Vileplume, and it suited the move Petal Dance better.
One of the things that gives Oddish it's charm for me is it's lack of arms!

PDL

disenchanted
Atomic Boo said:
One of the things that gives Oddish it's charm for me is it's lack of arms!

Funny thing is, I like Torchic for the same sort of reason... It's little wings are useless, yet makes it so adorable...

speaking of Torchic, I don't really favour Combusken, not sure really... maybe because of it's head in proportion to it's body... it seems kinda small to me :\

but it suddenly makes more sense when it evolves into Blaziken...

I guess the Poli line is kinda is also kinda half-baked as well...

Poliwag looks fine, as does Poliwhirl... but I can't help but think "Lazy designers" when it comes to Poliwrath, they just gave Poliwhirl different (meaner looking) eyes and thicker arms...

at least Politoed makes alot more sense, since the tadpole now can be a true frog...

Volteon

Back I guess??
yes, it´s true about oddish.

Q: what a plant does in it´s life?
A: it grows!
Q: what oddish does when it evolves in the sun last form?
A: it´s dying AHHHHH....
and I like crobat it´s great a non legged flying pokemon, also it´s speed is awesome!

I like elekid, interesting form and sometimes I think it´s cute, but electabuzz... I hate even it´s voice (sorry members from the electric club that likes electabuzz). I remember, sealeo, a cool pokemon that evolves in a walrus with (a lot of) hair. bulbasaur, it´s cute and creative, but a monster with some balls groing it´s skin is uhhh disgusting!.

F

Flying Tropius

lets see kakuna metapod silcoon and cascoon all the cacoons is krap when caught in wild!
I'd have to say Porygon looks a lot more virtual and cooler than porygon2

Iveechan

<--- CHANTASTIC
^Grrr, I like Electabuzz, much better than an electric easter egg.

One Pokemon who I think was better, design-wise, is Vulpix. I love its red color and those neat curls, but Ninetales is just a big white dog with many tails. There's nothing that special about it. It doesn't even "look" fiery like Vulpix does, just big... and white... or yellow, depending on if it's the games or anime.

PDL

disenchanted
Iveechan said:
One Pokemon who I think was better, design-wise, is Vulpix. I love its red color and those neat curls, but Ninetales is just a big white dog with many tails. There's nothing that special about it. It doesn't even "look" fiery like Vulpix does, just big... and white... or yellow, depending on if it's the games or anime.

I think the correct shade is "cornsilk blond" lol XD

anyway, alot of Kanto pokemon seem to have awful designs when it comes to evolutions, especially when compared to later pokemon...

most of them are either bigger versions of their unevolved selves, like Muk or Arcainine or gain three heads like Dugtrio and Magneton.

but this is often overlooked due to nostalgic reasons and such.

C

Carpetted!

Spheal, Snorunt? I don't know many good pokemon with bad evolutions...
Some good evolutions with bad basics are... Exeggcutor, Primeape, Banette.

Atomic Boo

Oddium Wanderus ftw
Yeah, Exeggutor is a great pokemon as its modelled on a coconut tree, But Exeggcute looks nothing like a Grass 'mon.
But I disagree with Banette's pre-evo, Shuppets so cute! (Though it's probably my love of no arms showing again!)

Last edited:
B

boLd NinJa{Koga's Son}

fighting_master said:
i feel that golbat is a really cool pokemon, but like you i dislike the evolution of one of my fave pokemon. CROBAT. it looks really stipid and doesnt have legs.
i would have liked it is golbat was the final evolution cos it is bigger than crobat too.

Crobat doesnt look stupid at all, it's awesom looking.....It doesnt need legs, 'coz it has four wings...and his second pair of wingz are somekind of legz actually...I know in the anime it seems smaler than Golbat but from the Infos of the Pokedex its bigger.....Crobat IS a very cool and good Pkmn so thank good Golbat has been given the chance to envolve into this cool Ninja-BAt.

I think Slugma has the better design(even if it's very plain(sp?)) than it's Evolution....I also dont like the Fire/Rock combo(4x Water weakness, lost resistens to Grass, 4x Groung WEakness)......

;169;

A

adamgnome

Most of the starter Pokemon, I like their first and second evolved forms, but the third one is just ugly.

Bulbasaur, Ivysaur I like, I hate Venasaur.
Same with Meganium, and all the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald starters. Except Blaziken doesn't look that bad in Colloseam/XD.

I still don't get how Remoraid turns into an octopus. Magneton, and Dugtrio are pretty lazy too. :p

Devilrose

Super Coordinator
I don't like any of the Kanto starters second forms. Their first forms are all cute looking, and their final forms look cool and powerful, but their second forms just look evil and kinda ugly >.> Charmeleon looks disproportionate, Wartortle has war paint, those funny things on its head, and that silly tail, and Ivysaur just doesn't look that great. Actually Venusaur isn't that great either. I think I like the Bulbasaur line before the bulb starts to bloom into a flower.

Atomic Boo

Oddium Wanderus ftw
adamgnome said:
I still don't get how Remoraid turns into an octopus. Magneton, and Dugtrio are pretty lazy too. :p

Yup, Remoraid turning into an Octopus goes right alongside a Carp turning into a Dragon and a Shabby fish turning into a 'Mermaid'!!

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
fighting_master said:
i understand your pain

PS can you answer my forum please?

Two things you can always give it an everstone or press B to stop it evolution. Second Golbat gives up it legs for SPEED which is good because it then learn fly.

But I agree with the oddish having Bellossom as an evolution it is strange but then again so was most of the Jotho pokemon.

Volteon

Back I guess??
Atomic Boo said:
Yup, Remoraid turning into an Octopus goes right alongside a Carp turning into a Dragon and a Shabby fish turning into a 'Mermaid'!!
remoraid is the 2nd gen ugly fish that evolves into another thing shaped totally diferent. this happened in the 1st gen with magikarp and in the 3rd with feebas

Lil Brother

Just kinda there.
Yes, Remoraid into Octilley makes no sense. It must be based on some kind of Japanese myth, what is it?

The only stages of the Heonn starters I like is their first.

Dragonair is a lot better than Dragonite.

And... one I forgot. *ponder* Edit: Ah, I remember now. I don't have anything against Gengar, but Haunter looks better.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Atomic Boo said:

Gyarados isn't a dragon type nor does it look like one.

Atomic Boo

Oddium Wanderus ftw
Jolteon ^..^ said:
remoraid is the 2nd gen ugly fish that evolves into another thing shaped totally diferent. this happened in the 1st gen with magikarp and in the 3rd with feebas

Actually, your right. I always thought there was some magic involved in their evolutions. (Hence MAGICarp)

And I know Gyarados isn't a dragon type but it is designed as a dragon looking life form.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
I've always prefered both Squirtle and Wartortle over Blastoise. It seems a bit odd for them to both develop that long tail and fluffy ears, just for them to dissapear upon reaching their final stage. And I never really liked Blastoise design-wise anyways. Its face is OK I suppose, but I dislike the awkward looking inorganic cannons that sprout from its back, and those weird 'Michellan Man' arms it has.

Duskull looks a hell of a lot better than Dusclops. I'm not really fond of a stack of tyres trying to pass itself of as a ghost :p I wish they'd stuck to the grim reaper-esque theme its prevo had.
I also prefer Haunter over Gengar. They're both OK I suppose, but Haunter just looks more ghost like IMO.

I dislike how the Treecko line goes from two slick looking tree-lizards to a clunky looking brute.

And I don't like Blaziken at all. But that should be moderatly common knowledge now. Or so I assume! =o

Thats about it I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.