• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Good Rapid Spinners

Piston punch

The Punchy Pokémon
I'm in the middle of making a new team and I want to have a Pokemon that makes good use of the move rapid spin.

I was wondering if Htimontop would be a good option, (because of technician).

Any other suggestions?

The Thunderbird

Dreams come true
With Donphan having recently moved into UU, the only OU spinners they have at the moment are Starmie, Tentacruel, and Forretress.

Piston punch

The Punchy Pokémon
With Donphan having recently moved into UU, the only OU spinners they have at the moment are Starmie, Tentacruel, and Forretress.

Thanks. I think I'll try starmie (since I have one with a +speed nature).

pokemaster001

why do you need a rapid spinner?

and toxic spikes

[Name] the [Occupation]

Pokemans Trainer
Forretress and Tentacruel can switch into Toxic Spikes, so use those.

T.W.I.

Undercover Rocket
I just realized the other day that Defog also acts like a rapid spin, but ALSO lowser evasion AND gets rid of light screen/reflect. Also, it works even if a ghost type is on the field. I was tempted to throw that on my team instead. Anyone know why Defog is never mentioned compared to rapid spin?

EDIT: Not to mention many flyers learn it and they are all immune to spikes/toxic spikes. Is the SR boost against flying the reason its not used?

EDIT AGAIN: Just read up and realized it removes YOUR spikes and SR >_> i guess its good in double battles only.

Last edited:

BlazeXX

WisdomTree Trainer
A Pokemon with Good Defence such as Forretress or Cloyster.

Dave.

[Name] the [Occupation];10309254 said:
Forretress and Tentacruel can switch into Toxic Spikes, so use those.
Starmie has Natural Cure >.>

I like Starmie for the job, because there are so many viable sets for it, that you don't know if it's going to spin or destroy.

[Name] the [Occupation]

Pokemans Trainer
Whoops, my bad!

You might want to have something to deal with spin blockers like Gengar, also. Forretress's Gyro Ball deals massive damage.

frozenthunder

Master Breeder
starmie is the one i use for rapid spind but it was breed for boltbeam combo but the rapid spin is a surprise

randomspot555

I would use Starmie because he can use recover and bolt-beam.

Starmie's Psychic typing gives it a dark, ghost, and bug weakness, in addition to the electric and grass weakness it gets from the Water typing. I'll say it forever: Starmie has too many weaknesses and not enough bulk to care about Recover.

As a spinner, you should generally focus on defensive and team support moves, rather than offense:

Starmie: Gets Natural Cure so it can absorb status. STAB on Surf and Psychic. Screens and boltbeam access. Confuse Ray, Thunder Wave, and Toxic are also available, as well as Trick (though on a Rapid Spin set, there usually isn't room for that). Weak against ghosts, a common switch in to Spinners.

Tentacruel: Pretty good bulk, but it does have a Ground weakness. Gets access to Knock Off, and can absorb Toxic Spikes.

Donphan: Good physical defense, kind of average special. If you heavily invest in defensive stats, it's attacking stats will be fairly pitiful. Gets Knock Off and Rock Tomb (cuts speed by one stage), as well as Toxic.

Claydol: Resists Stealth Rock and has the Levitate ability, so it won't be hurt by Spikes/Toxic Spikes at all. It's defensive stats (Actually, all stats) are fairly average, so it can't take too many hits or do too much damage. Weak to ghosts, a common switch in to Rapid Spinners.

These 4 are the only ones I ever consider using. I usually opt for either Donphan or Tentacruel.

fschulze47

Mighty Marvo
I've seen people use blastoise, who can actually do a decent job, as it forces switches (yawn) and act as a bulky water. Though you can't sleep ghosts i dont think.

Delibird and Sandslash as Rapid Spinners 8)

Waits for laughs/flames

Witchan

Shauntal, FTW!
It doesn't matter with Pokemon is good at Rapid Spinning. To me, Donphan (seriously, who cares about the tier on smogon) and Tentacrual are probably the best Rapid Spinners I've ever used.