• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Good Rotomorning, I am the Rotomdex, Roto! (946)

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
He kind of sounds like CL4P-TRAP. But with less profanity.

That is probably the best you could have hoped for from the English dub TBH.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
That will get grating after a while.

Rockruff sounds great though! Like an actual dog.

AnimeNYC

It's not the voice so much as the dialogue and the character in general. I can say with confidence that he is the most annoying thing I've seen in 20 years of Pokemon.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
If anyone's wondering who is providing the annoying dub voice of Rotom Dex, according to Bulbapedia it's a guy named Roger Callagy.

I'm assuming he's a new VA since I haven't heard much about him.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
lol i don't mind the voice after hearing it a few times, but the dialogue is still as cringey as bw and xy. might check it out once in a while, but probably sticking to sub.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Team Rocket's motto sounds too complicated to remember it. Not impressed with their motto this series.

Annoying that the full episode has only aired in Canada, anyone know if its due to air in the Uk soon?

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Team Rocket's motto sounds too complicated to remember it. Not impressed with their motto this series.

Annoying that the full episode has only aired in Canada, anyone know if its due to air in the Uk soon?
Eh, aside from Meowth saying "dig it" at the end, I think it was fine. It's pretty close to what's being said in the Japanese version anyway.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
lol meowth broke the fourth wall in this episode. when jessie asked meowth what mimikyu was saying, meowth said he can't say cause it's a kids show.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Reminds me of the "You're giving me a pain, but I can't say where, 'cause kids watch this show" line. xD

Is Mimikyu's voice the same in the dub?

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
Reminds me of the "You're giving me a pain, but I can't say where, 'cause kids watch this show" line. xD

Is Mimikyu's voice the same in the dub?

i only saw certain clips of the episode. it played during the "who's that pokemon" part and.....i'm not actually sure if its the same voice or not. i THINK it's been dubbed, but they're going for that same creepy sound it makes in the original. (one of those pointless dub voices they don't need like togedemaru)

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Dub Sophocles is growing on me.

Lillie's dialogue was just...cringe.

Lillie: A Pokedex that operates with a Rotom inside? Ah! That's incredible!
Rotom: Incredible? Incredible means awesome. In other words, Rotomdex is awesome!
Lillie: Yes! You're very awesome!

Just...please no. I'm well aware that in the raw Lillie does confirm Rotom is 'sugoi' but god that feels forced af.

And Mimikyu sounds nowhere near as threatening. Le sigh, I didn't have high hopes but I really wish they had kept Mimikyu's VA in. It's probably just the eerie sounds but they're the best part of Mimikyu.

DatsRight

Saw the English motto, even more over the top and pretentious than the BW one. A work of art.

Oh and like with XY they kept the Japanese theme. At least TPCI knows TR's mottos are sacred.

Concerning voices, most of the Pokemon sound fine in the dub, just redundant. Mimikyu, Togedamaru and Rockruff have good soundalikes in English, it's just they didn't really NEED a soundalike since there wasn't really anything to translate. (There's humour to Rockruff having Serena's VA though, easy girl XD).

Last edited:

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
Seen the dub voices. They still don't bother me, but I will fully admit RotomDex sounds better in Japanese, and this is coming from someone who doesn't usually watch the Japanese version.

I'm rather undecided on the motto at the moment. Maybe I'll get used to it in the future.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Gosh Team Rocket sounds even worse than they did in XY, particularly Jessie. Everyone else's voices seemed fine to me and I don't mind Rotomdex's voice at all.

Anyways Mimikyu was creepy and Bewear showing up was hilarious. I also liked the Pokemon puns that Principal Oak and Rotomdex were doing.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Lillie's dialogue was just...cringe.

Lillie: A Pokedex that operates with a Rotom inside? Ah! That's incredible!
Rotom: Incredible? Incredible means awesome. In other words, Rotomdex is awesome!
Lillie: Yes! You're very awesome!

Just...please no. I'm well aware that in the raw Lillie does confirm Rotom is 'sugoi' but god that feels forced af.

That made me cringe a little, too. IMHO, what made that scene charming in the Japanese version is that "Sugee" (Ash's way of saying "sugoi") just sounds so out of character for an "ojousama"-type character like Lillie to say, so for her to imitate Ash and say, "Hai, sugee desu!" (she even imitates Ash's excitement) is kind of cute.

The cuteness of that was totally lost in English. -_- Sure, Lillie probably wouldn't say "very awesome," but the way she said that line just sounded forced. I don't mind Lillie's English voice, but I did not like the delivery of that line.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
dub va opinions:

ash - okayish (it's been the same since bw)
rotom - actually decent imo, but it could get annoying after a while
lillie - kinda cringey
kiawe - alright, but needs a little more energy
mallow - good, but pretty generic (also her voice sounds kinda familiar)
lana - actually think her voice is pretty fitting
sophocles - good (i think rosenfeld is a pretty good VA in general)
kukui - er....it's not great, but i can live with it
samson oak - probably the only dub voice i think is just plain bad
team rocket - same as before, but their dialogue feels a little more forced than usual. their new motto also sounds kinda weird.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
That made me cringe a little, too. IMHO, what made that scene charming in the Japanese version is that "Sugee" (Ash's way of saying "sugoi") just sounds so out of character for an "ojousama"-type character like Lillie to say, so for her to imitate Ash and say, "Hai, sugee desu!" (she even imitates Ash's excitement) is kind of cute.

The cuteness of that was totally lost in English. -_- Sure, Lillie probably wouldn't say "very awesome," but the way she said that line just sounded forced. I don't mind Lillie's English voice, but I did not like the delivery of that line.

The games have that issue too. Unless you're specifically looking at English Translation Lillie's dialogue with the knowledge that she doesn't talk the same way most other characters do, it's nearly impossible to notice.
It's a fairly big part of her character that should have been handled much better.