• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Good Rotomorning, I am the Rotomdex, Roto! (946)

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
The games have that issue too. Unless you're specifically looking at English Translation Lillie's dialogue with the knowledge that she doesn't talk the same way most other characters do, it's nearly impossible to notice.
It's a fairly big part of her character that should have been handled much better.

I completely agree; it's a fairly big part of Lilie's character that should have been handled much better. Lilie's way of speaking is just so different from the other characters' that to hear her imitate Satoshi (whose way of speaking is pretty much the complete opposite of hers) is both funny and cute, because it sounds so odd coming from her. English Lillie's delivery of that line just sounded...off. Also, I think some of the humor of that line was lost, since Lillie said, "Very awesome," rather than just "Awesome," which is what Ash had originally said.

(I probably am looking at English dub Lillie's dialogue with the knowledge that she doesn't speak the same way most other characters do. At least in the games, the problem probably isn't exacerbated by the voice acting, since, well, there is no voice acting. ^_^; )

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
The games have that issue too. Unless you're specifically looking at English Translation Lillie's dialogue with the knowledge that she doesn't talk the same way most other characters do, it's nearly impossible to notice.
It's a fairly big part of her character that should have been handled much better.

when you say Lillie speaks differently, do you mean like the words she usually uses? Is she really formal also compared to the others?

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
when you say Lillie speaks differently, do you mean like the words she usually uses? Is she really formal also compared to the others?

I wouldn't say it's so much Lillie's choice of vocabulary so much as it is that she is very formal, especially when compared to the others. (She is as formal as Ash is casual.) She uses a very formal first-person pronoun, and she uses more formal verb conjugations.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
English Lillie comes off to me as this stereotypical bookworm who uses big words to sound smart. She's trying to give off the impression that she's smart by the viewers but probably was forced fed a bunch of dictionaries back in her day. I already said my piece with the dub but my main issue is the lack of emotion put into them. I feel like the TRio (aside from the Pokémon) put in some effort but their voices are the worst.

PsychoBoost

Carbon Dioxide
I mean, the Pokémon anime isn't known for big words... But Team Rocket use a few in their famous 'mottos' and are turning slightly abstract this series... So it's hard to tell if a character is using long words or just talking like a normal adult sometimes.

Unless they have small dictionaries...

Lillie is supposed to have fear of Pokémon, but is interested in them! Which is why they become a trainer. So you're right that they could have her come across as more genuine instead...

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
If what the others said are any indication, the new Team Rocket motto is pretty much their worst. Guess I'll be skipping the rest of SM then because I can't bear the cringeworthiness of the dub.

Also, I don't get why people are bashing on Laurie Hymes' Lillie voice? I guess it's because they think she sounds unsuitable and forced, like how we heard the terrible dub voice that was Sawyer in XY.

And finally, Mimikyu's voice got changed in the dub despite being a Pokemon keeping its Japanese name. Its voice is provided by Billy Bob Thompson, who is Greninja's VA. Considering Togedemaru also changed VAs in the dub, I am worried the dub of SM is going to keep dubbing over the original voices of Pokemon that retain Japanese names, with Pikachu likely being the only exception.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
English Lillie comes off to me as this stereotypical bookworm who uses big words to sound smart. She's trying to give off the impression that she's smart to the viewers but probably was forced fed a bunch of dictionaries back in her day.

As a bookworm, I am offended by your implication that we use big words solely to sound smart. I use big or obscure words because I like how they sound, or because there happens to be an oddly specific word for a given situation that would have most people struggling to describe it. I wasn't forced to, but I did actually read dictionaries back when I was little. For fun. Also to protect myself from monsters, but that's irrelevant now.

And Lillie is smart. She's essentially the genius of the group when it comes to Pokemon.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Also, I don't get why people are bashing on Laurie Hymes' Lillie voice? I guess it's because they think she sounds unsuitable and forced, like how we heard the terrible dub voice that was Sawyer in XY.

I can't speak for other users, obviously, but I personally have nothing against Laurie Hymes's voice itself. My issue is with her delivery of her lines. Her delivery sounds forced and almost unnatural, but I don't know who is more at fault for that--the voice actress herself or the voice director who accepted that take.

My main gripe is with her delivery of that "Very awesome!" line during the scene where Rotomdex is introduced to the rest of the class. Laurie Hymes's forced-sounding delivery is one reason that scene lacks the charm and cute humor it had in the Japanese version.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Now I'm curious as to when it'll come out in Dutch. It'll probably take a while as we're not done with XYZ yet, XYZ 45 just launched. But Sun Moon Episode 1 and 2 are already out in Dutch, and I kind of like all the new voices so far, apart from Lana, who uses the same voice as Bonnie. It was fine for Bonnie but she just sounds too young for Lana. I'm impressed with how well they're incorporating Oak's poképuns and the subtlety of Kukui's puns.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I think it's because she sounds very similar to Serena's/Mallow's English dubbed voice, some of her deliveries aren't natural or misses the point thus losing the original comedy and fun in that line, and she doesn't put much emotion in her voice. I have no issue with it that I don't have with the other dubbed voices.

And finally, Mimikyu's voice got changed in the dub despite being a Pokemon keeping its Japanese name. Its voice is provided by Billy Bob Thompson, who is Greninja's VA. Considering Togedemaru also changed VAs in the dub, I am worried the dub of SM is going to keep dubbing over the original voices of Pokemon that retain Japanese names, with Pikachu likely being the only exception.
Yeah it's so weird, why are they even bothering? Is this the first time they start dubbing a Pokémon with their original name? This is a first for me.

As a bookworm, I am offended by your implication that we use big words solely to sound smart. I use big or obscure words because I like how they sound, or because there happens to be an oddly specific word for a given situation that would have most people struggling to describe it. I wasn't forced to, but I did actually read dictionaries back when I was little. For fun. Also to protect myself from monsters, but that's irrelevant now.

And Lillie is smart. She's essentially the genius of the group when it comes to Pokemon.
I said that she's a stereotype, not that all bookworms are people who want to sound smart by using big words. I'm just a bit sick of that trope of a supposed Einstein character who will use specific, higher leveled vocabulary that most people won't use just to sound intelligent and act high & mighty about it. I use "big" words that seem normal to me and what's appropriate to say in that situation, as most people do. I was forced fed a dictionary in elementary school since the teachers got tired of kids asking the meaning of a word. :D

I was joking about Lillie, lets not take things to heart.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I don't mind Lillie's voice or her dialogue at all. It's Team Rocket's, particularly Jessie's voice and dialogue that I don't like at all. I think they're at their worst yet imo.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Is it me, or does Rotom's voice actor sound really similar to Weird Al Yankovic. I know that Weird Al isn't actually voicing it, but you've got to admit you notice some sort of resemblance.

This was a pretty good episode. I enjoyed seeing a handful of the Alola pokemon.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Honestly, out of Ash's classmates, the only dub voice that really bothers me is Sophocles. I don't know about him sounding too close to Veronica Taylor Ash, but he just sounds way too feminine to me. It's completely obvious he's being voiced by a woman, and there's just no attempt being made to make him sound like a boy.

Speaking of Soph, there's this one line he had in the dub that had me laughing because of how utterly asinine it is. When TRio are introducing themselves, and Ash explains that they steal other people's Pokemon, he comes out with the line, "If you steal Pokemon, that makes you guys thieves!" or something like that.

No shit, Sherlock. Seriously, give whoever came up with that one a raise. I was laughing at that line because it's so awful. xD

Anyway, Laurie Hymes trying to make Lillie sound like a typical rich girl is also bad, but I can tolerate it more than Sophocles.

Kiawe, Lana, and Mallow are all fine, and probably to nobody's surprise, I admit to actually kind of liking Lana's dub voice. I find it completely adorable, and given that she's a pretty reserved character to begin with, it's fitting that she has a softer voice. As for her sounding a bit young, well... she is a younger girl, her sounding young didn't really bother me at all. Curious to hearing what she sounds like when she's angry, though.

Last edited:

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
Honestly, out of Ash's classmates, the only dub voice that really bothers me is Sophocles. I don't know about him sounding too close to Veronica Taylor Ash, but he just sounds way too feminine to me. It's completely obvious he's being voiced by a woman, and there's just no attempt being made to make him sound like a boy.

Speaking of Soph, there's this one line he had in the dub that had me laughing because of how utterly asinine it is. When TRio are introducing themselves, and Ash explains that they steal other people's Pokemon, he comes out with the line, "If you steal Pokemon, that makes you guys thieves!" or something like that.

No shit, Sherlock. Seriously, give whoever came up with that one a raise. I was laughing at that line because it's so awful. xD

Anyway, Laurie Hymes trying to make Lillie sound like a typical rich girl is also bad, but I can tolerate it more than Sophocles.

Kiawe, Lana, and Mallow are all fine, and probably to nobody's surprise, I admit to actually kind of liking Lana's dub voice. I find it completely adorable, and given that she's a pretty reserved character to begin with, it's fitting that she has a softer voice. As for her sounding a bit young, well... she is a younger girl, her sounding young didn't really bother me at all. Curious to hearing what she sounds like when she's angry, though.

lol soph's voice actor is the same as bonnie's.

DatsRight

I believe that line was in the Japanese script too, so it's merely translating idiot babble than making it.

I am wondering if it was meant to be 'criminals' or something though, a term at least slightly less redundant.

Pikachu52

Well, I have to admit I'm not totally onboard with this new format yet.

Replacing the usual two or three travelling companions with a class of five seems to have resulted in each character receiving less development than in previous series - in a series whose characters tend to fall on the flat side anyway. Each only had a handful of lines the entire episode. However, as each of the classmates gets their own episode and backstory later on I'll reserve judgement on it for now.

Samson Oak is really irritating character - The Pokémon impressions are cringeworthy. Rotomdex isn't much better. It's lines sound as if they're supposed to be funny but fall short. But then again that was more or less what it was like in the games.

On the plus side; I like the way they introduced elements of Mimikyu's Pokédex entry into the anime. Team Rocket are more or less back to their usual comic relief mixture of funny one-liners and slap stick humour. Not convinced about the new motto. Pikachu playing with Togademaru was cute.

As an early and mostly introductory episode to the new series goes it's okay. I'll have to watch more of it before I can decided whether I like this new anime format or not.

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
The Rotom Dex is pretty cool and I can't wait to see how they are utilised in the series. However, it may get a bit repetitive if we hear 'stats' again and again but we will see.

Mimikyu is still as terrifying and it will be interesting if Team Rocket will eventually catch it (Meowth isn't too pleased through). Speaking of Team Rocket, their motto is going to take some getting used to but I will give it a chance and hopefully it will get better.

This series is very different from the start and I'm not sure I like it but I made it through other experimental series so I'm sure I will this one too.

Good episode, onto the next one!

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I said screw it and decided to just watch the dub online, dropping XD until Fall anyways, it ain't worth $10 bucks extra a month without Star Wars Rebels.

Rotom Dex's dub voice was annoying at first, but I grew to like it by the end. And dub Team Rocket sounds a lot better than they were in XY, thank god for that.
10/10, please dub keep this quality. Especially for the TRio. The dubs have sucked since DP ended, I hope things are finally looking up.