• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Good Rotomorning, I am the Rotomdex, Roto! (946)

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Watched the dub version online. The more I listen, the more Rotom sounds like a higher-pitched version of Claptrap. Jessie's voice seems more exaggerated and Wobuffet's sounds like it's been pitched up. Meowth and James still have the same voices. Mimikyu seems to have been dubbed unnecessarily but it's still creepy. Togedemaru was just attached to Sophocles somehow. Kiawe sounds weirdly familiar but I can't find his actor anywhere that I've already watched.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Something to also point out with the dub of this episode, is that you may have noticed Wobbuffet's voice sounding slightly different.

This is because he has a new VA in the dub. Erica Schroeder (who previously voiced characters such as Nurse Joy, Fantina, and both Bianca and Ash's Unfezant in BW) has taken over the role starting with this series, replacing long-running VA Kayzie Rogers who retired from voice acting at the end of last year. I didn't notice the change until someone pointed it out, but the question is how Wobbuffet's voice got changed despite all the reused footage that could have been used instead, like when Rogers left the series for a while in early DP.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Something to also point out with the dub of this episode, is that you may have noticed Wobbuffet's voice sounding slightly different.

This is because he has a new VA in the dub. Erica Schroeder (who previously voiced characters such as Nurse Joy, Fantina, and both Bianca and Ash's Unfezant in BW) has taken over the role starting with this series, replacing long-running VA Kayzie Rogers who retired from voice acting at the end of last year. I didn't notice the change until someone pointed it out, but the question is how Wobbuffet's voice got changed despite all the reused footage that could have been used instead, like when Rogers left the series for a while in early DP.

Reusing voice clips surely means paying the voice actor even if they haven't voiced anything new yet, I believe.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

I know I'm oversimplifying, but legally, a person's voice is "copyrighted" in a sense.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Reusing voice clips surely means paying the voice actor even if they haven't voiced anything new yet, I believe.

Ah yes, the whole "must pay royalties to the creator" scandal that is notably responsible for causing all the music replacements. No wonder why they decided to change the VA, because the darn TPCi don't want to waste money just to reuse the stock footage.

So there we go guys, we learned that reusing old voice clips can be stopped due to a legal issue or requiring the original creator to be paid in royalties. I know that Kayzie's reused voice clips were used for Wobbuffet in Season 10 (before DuArt came in) but here it seems like it's no longer possible.

This goes to show how much I hate it when you have to keep paying the original creator in royalties just to use something they're associated with. It's why Disney didn't allow Giselle from Enchanted to be a Disney Princess because the film was mainly live-action and they'd have to constantly pay Amy Adams (Giselle's actress) just to use a character that's literally made in her likeness.

Last edited:

DatsRight

I think it might be also that Wobbuffet has become a bit more expressive this series, especially due to appearing all the time, so they might want a VA present who can vocalise according to his emotions onscreen rather than searching through stock material to find a clip that remotely fits.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Ugh, Disney's overuse of loud music for anime seems to have infected the Pokemon dub. There is hardly a moment a zany theme isn't playing. One little fast zooming around is enough for something to go off.

Lillie's VA suddenly seems to have gotten a little better. She sounds less like a pompous rich girl trying to sound nice.

Alola Oak is super annoying.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Satoshi was stumbling over the unfamiliar word "Pokedex" in Rotom's Pokedex Forme.

That felt like they were just purposely making this annoying to dub.

What do you mean by "unfamiliar word" Pokédex?

I completely agree; it's a fairly big part of Lilie's character that should have been handled much better. Lilie's way of speaking is just so different from the other characters' that to hear her imitate Satoshi (whose way of speaking is pretty much the complete opposite of hers) is both funny and cute, because it sounds so odd coming from her. English Lillie's delivery of that line just sounded...off. Also, I think some of the humor of that line was lost, since Lillie said, "Very awesome," rather than just "Awesome," which is what Ash had originally said.

(I probably am looking at English dub Lillie's dialogue with the knowledge that she doesn't speak the same way most other characters do. At least in the games, the problem probably isn't exacerbated by the voice acting, since, well, there is no voice acting. ^_^; )

As someone who only watches the dub, I can say that I found the scene funny. It was odd that Lillie used the word awesome, regardless of whether it was "awesome" or "very awesome", and the oddity of it made it funny. I think it's probably only those who watch both who say the original humor is lost (which it probably is, since there's probably not a perfect way to translate such humor) but those who only watch the dub, like myself, probably found it funny, who are TPCi's target audience

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
What do you mean by "unfamiliar word" Pokédex?

Ash sounded like he was confused about the word "Pokedex" even though he should be very much familiar with it.

Though he was sounding like that because of Rotom's possession of it.

Satoshi (Ash) is not familiar with the word "Pokédex." In Japanese, the Pokédex is called the Pokémon Zukan (a zukan basically being a pictorial reference guide). At one point, Rotomdex gave his full classification name as "Rotom, Pokédex Forme"--in English. Not only is Satoshi unfamiliar with the word "Pokédex," but he also had trouble pronouncing it (he stumbled over the 'x').

It's a little joke that is pretty much impossible to translate into English.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Ash sounded like he was confused about the word "Pokedex" even though he should be very much familiar with it.

Though he was sounding like that because of Rotom's possession of it.

I don't really remember a similar scene in the dub -- did they just totally change the dialogue?

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I don't really remember a similar scene in the dub -- did they just totally change the dialogue?

Most likely.

Man, TPCi sure did some great casting on Rotomdex. At first I thought Michael Liscio Jr. (EN Clemont) should have the role, but Roger Callagy's performance changed my mind. Of course, I can't say I enjoy his video game tutorial-like dialogue.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Finally this episode came out. Five months was way too long to go without Pokémon. Very happy that it's back. This next week of episodes every day should be interesting.

Anyways, I surprisingly enjoyed this episode. I had assumed that because of the new animation that the entire show was going to take a shift random pointless humor like most cartoons these days, but this episode still very much felt like a normal episode of Pokémon. I still don't like the animation style, but at least the writing is fine.

Perhaps best of all was that Team Rocket felt pretty well-written. It's hard to say for sure based off of one episode, but I feel like this might just be the closest they've gotten to their pre-Unova selves. Even though Kalos tried to fix the damage Unova did to their character, Team Rocket has just felt so flat and uninspired since Unova, but things look like they might be changing for the better. And on top of that, giving (I'm assuming) Jessie a Mimikyu was a stroke of genius. Can't wait to see what develops out of that. I'm somewhat torn on their motto though. On one hand, I love the original motto, and nothing could ever truly replace it, but on the other, it did seem kind of lazy that Kalos just used the original motto instead of making its own. I hope they're more open to improvising with it than they were in Kalos. One question though, why no blast off? As funny as the Bewear randomly carrying them off was, the first episode with Team Rocket really should feature a blast off.

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
Great episode overall. Rotom Dex and Principal Oak were weird. Especially Oak. I didn't understand the first pun with Psyduck. The Mawile one was cringey. At least I now have something to put in the comments when people start saying puns on a video.
I'm guessing I'm the only one who thinks Samson sounds like a pirate XD

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Great episode overall. Rotom Dex and Principal Oak were weird. Especially Oak. I didn't understand the first pun with Psyduck. The Mawile one was cringey. At least I now have something to put in the comments when people start saying puns on a video.
I'm guessing I'm the only one who thinks Samson sounds like a pirate XD

I'm going to guess that pretty much all of Samson's puns are going to be awful in the dub. He poses a difficult challenge to the translators because he not only says puns in the Japanese, but acts them out. A pun that worked in Japanese certainly won't work in English. If it were just puns, the translators could come with new puns using different Pokémon to fit the situation, but because he acts them out, and the dub doesn't change the animation, the translators are stuck with whatever Pokémon Samson morphs his face to look like, and they can't just make any pun based off of that Pokémon, it has to be one that fits the situation. You can see the issue here. This is quite literally the one time were I'm ever going to say that the dub isn't as good as the original, but it really isn't the dubbers fault, they have little to no other choices.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I liked that Team Rocket were the ones who said Who's That Pokémon? especially as it quite literally fit the situation, since at that point in the episode Team Rocket were still trying to figure out who Mimikyu was.

I don't remember whether Team Rocket has ever said WTP before

Vipsoccermaster

I'm going to guess that pretty much all of Samson's puns are going to be awful in the dub. He poses a difficult challenge to the translators because he not only says puns in the Japanese, but acts them out. A pun that worked in Japanese certainly won't work in English. If it were just puns, the translators could come with new puns using different Pokémon to fit the situation, but because he acts them out, and the dub doesn't change the animation, the translators are stuck with whatever Pokémon Samson morphs his face to look like, and they can't just make any pun based off of that Pokémon, it has to be one that fits the situation. You can see the issue here. This is quite literally the one time were I'm ever going to say that the dub isn't as good as the original, but it really isn't the dubbers fault, they have little to no other choices.
It's also that, if they were to change, it would be more expensive. So they went with no changes to keep it cheap.

I liked that Team Rocket were the ones who said Who's That Pokémon? especially as it quite literally fit the situation, since at that point in the episode Team Rocket were still trying to figure out who Mimikyu was.

I don't remember whether Team Rocket has ever said WTP before
Of course not. This is literally Team Rocket's first time doing "Who's That Pokémon?" segment in the dub.

This episode was pretty good. Rotom Pokédex and Samson Oak may get old over time, but eh, we'll live through it.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I won't live through Samson Oak. His existence is being an extremely forced pun machine.

Imagine if Kukui's entire character was getting beaten up by Pokemon moves (and somehow that hasn't show up yet...)

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Of course not. This is literally Team Rocket's first time doing "Who's That Pokémon?" segment in the dub.

Okay thanks. I literally didn't remember since there have been 100s of episodes and I could have forgotten about a time it happened