• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Got an actual Pokemon game- but I need an advice

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
After many years of playing Pokemon on emulators (due to initial fears of console screens ruining my eyesight (I have one good eye since birth), and me not having enough money to get the actual stuff in previous years), I finally bought the console 3DS XL on Saturday, along with Pokemon Y. Now that I have a fully functional game, I can trade and do other things.

I would try out all or most of the starters when I played on a PC emulator, each in a separate save. However, 3DS doesn't allow this. How do people deal with it, when they want to do a new game- and try out a new starter/team, assuming they don't have a second console? Delete the old save anyway, or...?

Also, do people still trade on older games (Y might already be called old)?

BCVM22

They plan ahead and work with what they intended, or they pull the plug very early on and start over. If you're playing the games as they're meant to be played, legitimately, there's no concept of a separate save so there isn't really any room to try out different possibilities simultaneously.

Given the abundance of data available ahead of time regarding a Pokémon's base stats and movepool, it's not difficult to plan your roster ahead top to bottom - which Pokémon, where you'll get them and how you'll train/raise them. And even then, it's not usually that difficult to get a new Pokémon up to speed midstream if you need to make a roster change. And here in the present, there are additional means of preserving given Pokémon from an abandoned effort.

Last edited:

c1234

Trainer Since '98
You can always trade for those starters that you want.

If you are dead set on doing another playthrough however, you can always just transfer all your Pokemon to Pokemon Bank and recover them as needed.

Sprinter1988

Yeah, you need to get pokemon bank to store old pokemon and delete your old save file if you want to play through again.

Personally, since even Generation 1, I've always ended up with both versions of a game (Red & Blue, Gold & Silver, Ruby & Sapphire etc.) with one version keeping all my good pokemon while I continuously play through the second game. These days this is even more useful - Y, Alpha Sapphire and Sun have all become the game in which I not only attempt to fill out the national pokedex but also develop a living pokedex within the game's PC system while developing many pokemon to be fit for use in online battles (though I don't do those so much lately). This meant I could complete the pokedex and play competitively online while also using my copies of X, Omega Ruby, and Moon have been there for me to play through the story mode, either regularly or in a Nuzlocke format.