• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gotta catch em all

PokemonTrainerKaden

Do you think they should go back to the theme of "gotta catch rm all" personally I would love it, I really miss the theme.

randomspot555

They still use it, but it isn't literally branded on the games. It was a poor translation of the Japanese slogan (still in use in Japan today), which is simply "Get Pokemon!". The "gotta catch em all" places an emphasis on catching all Pokemon, but that has been continually de-emphasized with each generation lately. In Gen 3, to complete the regional dex you had to own all the Pokemon at one time before getting the national. In Gen 4, you simply had to have all Pokemon registered (either by seeing them in battle or by owning/capturing). In Gen 5, you get the national dex upgrade regardless of how much your regional is completed.

Pokemon isn't about catching Pokemon. It is about going on an adventure with your Poke-friends. Some people like the collecting. But it isn't for everyone and there shouldn't be too much emphasis on it.

Chairman

Do you mean the theme song for the anime, or just the general philosophy of the Pokemon franchise?
For the anime anyway, I think it would be better if more emphasis was put on the slogan, but as the previous poster said, the opposite is happening. I personally would enjoy is Ash caught more pokemon, but bonds and adventures should still be important.
As for the games, it may be better if they placed more of a need to catch pokemon. In BW2 for instance, the only pokemon I caught were the ones in my team, as well as one or two HM slaves.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
The probable reason that there's such less emphasis on catching ALL the Pokemans and completing the Pokedex is

well

Have you ever looked at and compared RBY's Pokedex to BW's? The former is about 23% of the size of the latter; put another way, completing BW's Pokedex is a bit like completing four RBY Pokedexes. As another thread in this very sub-forum laments, ain't no one got time fo' dat.

If you'd like to complete the Pokedex on your own as a personal challenge, the games have continued to award that achievement in every Generation; arguably, Gen V encourages it the most, with Medal offerings, TM rewards, access to the Nature Sanctuary, and even the somewhat controversial Shiny Charm. Completing your Pokedex will give you an advantage over your friends who don't, even beyond the knowledge gained and the feeling of satisfaction. Just know that completing the task today is far more daunting than it was in 1997, know that some find this off-putting, and that one cannot begrudge them their reluctance to sink hundreds of hours of time into doing so.

CHARmander<3

I have been a pokefan since gen 1 and playing white 2 even now. and just this past weekend I have actually completed the entire pokedex! all 649 pokemon. I have always loved the phrase "gotta catch them all" and strived for it in every game though never truly succeeding until white 2! it is a huge personal achievement and I am anxiously awaiting pokemon x and y. I think i'll buy x. but not to sure as of yet :) now after completing my dex I am expanding my knowledge in the breeding part. with all the new abilities, EV, IV, natures and all I love to learn and master all the techniques in the game. its a hobby ive always enjoyed.

randomspot555

The probable reason that there's such less emphasis on catching ALL the Pokemans and completing the Pokedex is

well

Have you ever looked at and compared RBY's Pokedex to BW's? The former is about 23% of the size of the latter; put another way, completing BW's Pokedex is a bit like completing four RBY Pokedexes. As another thread in this very sub-forum laments, ain't no one got time fo' dat.

If you'd like to complete the Pokedex on your own as a personal challenge, the games have continued to award that achievement in every Generation; arguably, Gen V encourages it the most, with Medal offerings, TM rewards, access to the Nature Sanctuary, and even the somewhat controversial Shiny Charm. Completing your Pokedex will give you an advantage over your friends who don't, even beyond the knowledge gained and the feeling of satisfaction. Just know that completing the task today is far more daunting than it was in 1997, know that some find this off-putting, and that one cannot begrudge them their reluctance to sink hundreds of hours of time into doing so.

Even though it's bigger, I'd argue it is still easier to complete the dex nowadays due to Wi-Fi trading.

UltimatePokemonExpert

Experienced Trainer
Well, this is something I've debated amongst myself for a while. My conclusion is this, for the video games, yes. Collecting every pokemon should be an ultimate and final goal for any person playing the games. Hell, I'm still working on it and I've been playing for over a decade now, although I'm down to my last 10 or so. However, the tv show should no longer try to use this motto. Honestly, considering how against Ash the writers are, it could never happen. He's destined to fail until the day it ends so we shouldn't expect him to be able to do anything significant. Not to mention that one of the best parts of the show is seeing Ash's pokemon's characters develop. They can hardly do that now, they could never do it with 649 pokemon.

PokemonTrainerKaden

Do you mean the theme song for the anime, or just the general philosophy of the Pokemon franchise?
For the anime anyway, I think it would be better if more emphasis was put on the slogan, but as the previous poster said, the opposite is happening. I personally would enjoy is Ash caught more pokemon, but bonds and adventures should still be important.
As for the games, it may be better if they placed more of a need to catch pokemon. In BW2 for instance, the only pokemon I caught were the ones in my team, as well as one or two HM slaves.

A little bit of both, but mainly the general philosophy.

I have been a pokefan since gen 1 and playing white 2 even now. and just this past weekend I have actually completed the entire pokedex! all 649 pokemon. I have always loved the phrase "gotta catch them all" and strived for it in every game though never truly succeeding until white 2! it is a huge personal achievement and I am anxiously awaiting pokemon x and y. I think i'll buy x. but not to sure as of yet :) now after completing my dex I am expanding my knowledge in the breeding part. with all the new abilities, EV, IV, natures and all I love to learn and master all the techniques in the game. its a hobby ive always enjoyed.

Congrats bro!

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
It's there if you want to catch them all, and you will be rewarded, but that's up to the played to decide.

Even though it's bigger, I'd argue it is still easier to complete the dex nowadays due to Wi-Fi trading.
As compared to what, buying just two copies of the games and two Gameboys and having every Pokemon in the game? No, I'd much rather do that than trade for 649 Pokemon.

fitzy909

Just another guy
i liked the saying, but i never really did manage it. it's even harder now as there are 649 pokemon and if they bring it back next gen there will be 700/750+. i don't mind it, but most people don't aim for it/manage to catch 'em all.

Ditto B1tch

Completing dex nowadays may be easier than before due Wi-Fi trading but it requires more trades because there are more Pokemons and in the end it is still such a long task.

I'm not used to complete the dexes, at least not catching, just seeing the Pokemon is enough for me unless I'm forced to obtain an item.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor

Depends how you go about doing it. If you're just relying on the GTS provided in-game, well, good luck with that.

As compared to what, buying just two copies of the games and two Gameboys and having every Pokemon in the game? No, I'd much rather do that than trade for 649 Pokemon.

You'd rather spend $200 than spend like five hours trading? Really?

Trainer Michael

Pokemon Champion
Honestly, that slogan is what Pokemon means to me.

Obviously, now that they're over 600+ Pokemon in the series, it's pretty much impossible to "catch 'em all" like in the early days. Pokemon collecting is a huge part of the series, if not the main point of the series (along with defeating the E4 and Champion). In an early video that Nintendo released concerning the new games at that time (Red and Blue), the whole point of Ash becoming a Pokemon Master was to catch one of every single Pokemon in the world. Now, of course, back then, it was only 151.

Truth be told, I miss those early days of the franchise. Things were so much simpler back then..........

randomspot555

You're assuming you'd be able to attend one of the few Mew events held in Gen I.

In all likelihood, you wouldn't be able to. Most didn't.

Doing that on your own, you would need to play and complete two of your games and do all the trade evolutions and whatnot, then you'd have to trade everything over from Cart A to Cart B to delete Cart A's save file so you can get that last starter. And even after doing all that, you'd still be short a Mew.

Pokemon collecting is a huge part of the series, if not the main point of the series

Not even close to the main point as far as playing the games go. Some people, individually, might like it the most and work on it the most. But dex completion has never been the main, driving part of either the games or the anime.

(along with defeating the E4 and Champion). In an early video that Nintendo released concerning the new games at that time (Red and Blue), the whole point of Ash becoming a Pokemon Master was to catch one of every single Pokemon in the world. Now, of course, back then, it was only 151.

Yeah, I remember that video. But that doesn't jive with how the anime is actually written (never was dex completion even mentioned). I'm tossing that up to media promotion rather than what the anime was actually meant to be. Again, simply watching the anime or playing the games shows that dex completion never receives much focus, if at all.

Truth be told, I miss those early days of the franchise. Things were so much simpler back then..........

I've been around since then and there's been hardly any change in the franchise at all, aside from the standard advancements of technology. Things might've been simpler in your life a decade ago, but the franchise has largely remained the same.

Last edited:

Trainer Michael

Pokemon Champion
Not even close to the main point as far as playing the games go. Some people, individually, might like it the most and work on it the most. But dex completion has never been the main, driving part of either the games or the anime.

Back in the day, if you remember, it pretty much was. I'm talking about the EARLY days of Pokemon, before Gold and Silver were even on the horizon. Everyone's main priority (aside from defeating the E4) was to "catch 'em all." The bigger your Pokedex, the more accomplished as a Pokemon Trainer you felt. That was the main reason the link cable was actually made (yes, you could battle through it, but the Link Cable was specifically used in that game for trading Pokemon. It really is the philosophy of the games, as well as the whole series. It probably depends on what you consider yourself as well. If you're a hard core Gen 1 and 2 fan like me, then yes, that's what Pokemon means to me. If you're a Gen 3, 4, or 5 fan, it's probably different.

Yeah, I remember that video. But that doesn't jive with how the anime is actually written (never was dex completion even mentioned). I'm tossing that up to media promotion rather than what the anime was actually meant to be. Again, simply watching the anime or playing the games shows that dex completion never receives much focus, if at all.

The whole atmosphere of the early days of Pokemon was encapsulated in that one video. People didn't care about training as much as they did about catching them all.

I've been around since then and there's been hardly any change in the franchise at all, aside from the standard advancements of technology. Things might've been simpler in your life a decade ago, but the franchise has largely remained the same.

The way the game was played changed majorly. Back then, it was a simple game, you traded with your friends by link cable, etc. Since the days of Gen III, when they first got rid of the "catch 'em all" slogan, it's turned into a huge deal about EV's, IV's, natures, and all that competitive nonsense (and trust me, NO ONE was playing competitively by today's standards back when Pokemon originally started).

Mr Dragon

Crazy Dude
They still use it, but it isn't literally branded on the games. It was a poor translation of the Japanese slogan (still in use in Japan today), which is simply "Get Pokemon!".

I think it was more a deliberate choice, as Get Pokemon isn't really catchy in English.

randomspot555

Back in the day, if you remember, it pretty much was. I'm talking about the EARLY days of Pokemon, before Gold and Silver were even on the horizon. Everyone's main priority (aside from defeating the E4) was to "catch 'em all."

And almost no one did "catch em all" because Mew was not catchable at all and most people didn't have the luxury of attending an event, people didn't re-set their games because they'd lose their Pokemon so they probably never got the non-chosen starter in their dex. . Nevermind the fact that the anime never made a big deal of "catching them all". The anime, like the games, emphasizes the bond trainers develop with Pokemon. Throwing Pokeballs and slapping them into storage isn't growing a bond with anything.

The bigger your Pokedex, the more accomplished as a Pokemon Trainer you felt. That was the main reason the link cable was actually made (yes, you could battle through it, but the Link Cable was specifically used in that game for trading Pokemon.

This is known as a "lie." The Link Cable wasn't a Pokemon thing, it was a Nintendo thing. It was released alongside the original GameBoy in 1989, while Pokemon Red/Green weren't out until early 1996.

It really is the philosophy of the games, as well as the whole series. It probably depends on what you consider yourself as well. If you're a hard core Gen 1 and 2 fan like me, then yes, that's what Pokemon means to me. If you're a Gen 3, 4, or 5 fan, it's probably different.

I'm old enough to know what I'm talking about. Please don't condescend to me and act like I wasn't around in 1997.

The whole atmosphere of the early days of Pokemon was encapsulated in that one video. People didn't care about training as much as they did about catching them all.

That's nice that you personally feel that way, but how you feel shouldn't be imagined onto others. The games make it clear there's a bond to build in training. Part of why Blue's reign as a Champion was so short isn't because he didn't catch enough Pokemon, it is because he didn't build the emotional bond with them like Red did.

Oak said:
"<player>! So, you won! Congratulations! You're the new Pokémon League champion! You've grown up so much since you first left with <starter>! <player>, you have come of age! <rival>! I'm disappointed! I came when I heard you beat the Elite Four! But, when I got here, you had already lost! <rival>! Do you understand why you lost? You have forgotten to treat your Pokémon with trust and love! Without them, you will never become a champ again! <player>! You understand that your victory was not just your own doing! The bond you share with your Pokémon is marvelous! <player>! Come with me!"

The way the game was played changed majorly. Back then, it was a simple game, you traded with your friends by link cable, etc.

Is someone holding a gun to your head and preventing you from trading with your friends?

Since the days of Gen III, when they first got rid of the "catch 'em all" slogan,

A slogan that was never used in Japan and it was never something that was emphasized in the games and the anime.

it's turned into a huge deal about EV's, IV's, natures, and all that competitive nonsense (and trust me, NO ONE was playing competitively by today's standards back when Pokemon originally started).

Except that "competitive nonsense"were around and people were playing competitively. Just because you were unaware of it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Again, is someone holding a gun to your head and forcing you to do that stuff? Because just like the "good ol days", you can still ignore it completely.

Again, you're completely entitled to say that you play Pokemon to collect. That is totally cool. But you don't get to say that it is the "correct" or "true" way of playing Pokemon or that it is the primary purpose of the game.

Last edited:

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
You're assuming you'd be able to attend one of the few Mew events held in Gen I.

In all likelihood, you wouldn't be able to. Most didn't.

Doing that on your own, you would need to play and complete two of your games and do all the trade evolutions and whatnot, then you'd have to trade everything over from Cart A to Cart B to delete Cart A's save file so you can get that last starter. And even after doing all that, you'd still be short a Mew.

Catching Mew and other event Pokemon has never been a requirement to receive the Diploma in any generation, actually.

RoySceptile

Bakaner
^ They're talking about the completion of the Pokedex, I think. Not the Diploma.