• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gotta Catch Ya Later! (275)

ArmadaUGS

I really didn't liked the fact that the trio of my childhood was separated. They should have made Ash win the league and then have continuted for a bit longer to fight against elite 4 and stuff and then end it.

**** the writers =/

Brownie

Anti Drew & paul fan
So this is my first time watching the episode, and all I have to say is that this was sad. I already knew about what happened from research, but it didn't make it any less sad. Its amazing how the little things can tug at the strings. All loose ends tied up, all past stuff gone (including his old outfit plus the sacred hat), etc.

So this is my first time watching the episode, and all I have to say is that this was sad. I already knew about what happened from research, but it didn't make it any less sad. Its amazing how the little things can tug at the strings. All loose ends tied up, all past stuff gone (including his old outfit plus the sacred hat), etc.

This episode is so sad...I loved it. Definitely, this episode tugs at your heartstrings a lot. I actually still cry a bit watching this one.

This was one of the saddest episodes considering misty is my favourite character. I felt annoyed though I already knew this was going to happen from reading about it.

I knew this was going to come. I didn't like that Misty had to go. It was a very sad episode for me. She didn't like how Ash didn't feel sad that they were separating. It was showing how much she cared. I wonder if this was the same in the original episode? But, it's good every thing is okay now. Looking on the bright side, she'll be able to become a stronger Trainer while at the Gym. She won't be able to become a Water Pokemon Master that way. But, at least she'll grow more as a Trainer.

Blessed

Not much to say to be honest, the beginning of the downfall starts here. It'll never be the same without Misty and I hope that someday she can pursue her dream of becoming a Water Pokemon Master by herself and meet new people. Nice to know that Ash told her that they were mean't to become friends, shows he cares. Ash & Brock will always be Misty's true best friends. They've been through so much together and that is something I will never forget. I'm gonna miss this trio though, they're legendary.

Bassman456

Rioru Lucario Fan
It's rare for me to ever apply my two cents into much, but I just recently re-watched this episode and I felt like I needed to say something.

Everything about this episode screamed, finality. The end of the Trio, the end of Ash and Gary's rivalry, The end of the original series as they were setting up for AG. For many people that I talk to this is where they stopped watching or stopped really caring about the anime. They believed that the trio was all mighty, and that Pokemon was never the same after this. Then I do know people who hate Misty and were happy to see her leave. This Thread shows the same arguments for her in both cases. As for myself, the last I watched this before this past week I believe was when it first aired when I was a kid. I remember back then, I hated this episode. It made me cry, I loved Misty and I thought, I had dealt with all the heartbreak of this show after Bulbasaur went to stay in Professor Oak's Lab. As an Adult now re-watching this episode, This episode still has the same power it did back then. I do agree that Pokemon was never the same again. With in 24 minutes, The world that we thought we knew about the Pokemon anime all changed within an instant. And I remember watching AG, not all to thrilled with May in the beginning, but she did grow on me as the series went on.

This episode took me personally a long time to accept. For me as a Pokemon Fan, this was the hardest to accept. It didn't help either that Gen 3 was cut off from Gen 1 and 2 in the beginning either, which made it really hard for me to accept Gen 3(To this date I still not too keen on Ruby and Sapphire, but I do like them). However, when I was able to accept this episode and Misty's fate in the anime, Pokemon became a whole lot easier to like. I can't speak for everybody, because everybody as there own opinion. Yet, Misty leaving was a good and a bad thing. The bad was mostly because the connection that a lot of people felt to her and all the Pokeshipping that the dub put in. The good was because it did allow the show to reset. Change is a good thing sometimes and Pokemon like the Pokemon themselves needed to evolve into the next stage. If Misty was still going as a Main Character today, I don't think I would love her as much as I do. Although in truth, If Ash's adventure ended at this episode, I think then I would be more happier with the outcome of this episode than I was with the show. However, thats just me doing a lil dreaming. All in all heres my rating:

Plot: The plot of this episode was a bit divided 1/2 Misty and the other the advancement to AG, but still I enjoyed it. 9.5/10
Writing: The dialogue of this episode is great. Every character felt real and the voice actors did a great job portraying the how each character felt when they were together, about to split up and finally on their own paths. 10/10
Characters: This episode really showed sides of the characters we don't get to see very often especially now in the current season 10/10
Feeling: The amount of emotion from all 3 of them as they split up is very strong and it still holds up today 10/10
Team Rocket: The TRio I think helped advance the characterization of the other characters, but they themselves didn't really do anything other than plot convenience things. 5/10
Dub or Sub: The Dub focused majorly on PokeShipping during the montage while the original focused on Misty's achievements and relationships with everyone. I myself am a Pokeshipper, however I did like the montage in the japanese better. I did like the dub song though. Hmm...this time I think both the Dub and the Sub are great for this one episode.
Final Rating 9/10

This episode was overall...bittersweet for me. It was probably one of the only decent goodbyes in the entire anime: period, but I've always hated that they dropped Misty from the anime for no apparent reason other than for more "eyecandy" as the producers put it. Sure, change is good, but it can be accomplished without replacing characters. Merely giving them new things to do that we haven't seen already, or exploring different facets of their personalities would keep things more fresh over time.

What a shame this is when the series started the unfortunate trend of replacing certain characters as opposed to letting all the older characters have a final journey together and part ways, thus a new hero and his friends starting the newer Pokemon series instead.

Gotta give 4Kids credit where it's due. This is THE only English dub goodbye that I've actually cried when watching, and no, it's not just because it's the parting of the OS group (my favorite). It's because it's the only one where I got any remote feeling that the dub tried to emphasize the importance of an older character leaving the show, or that the dubbers were actually trying to do them justice. 4Kids' only other goodbye with the Hoenn group, and TPCi's handling of the DP group's departure were both just decent, and the other goodbye in Battle Frontier that TPCi handled was downright atrocious, IMHO.

Overall, a good episode, but a very sad one and bittersweet.

Rating: 88/100 (B+)

Last edited:

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
As much as I liked this episode, it was really sad for me. In the US, it aired only a few months after I became a Pokeshipper. I knew the episode would come, and I prepared myself for it. 11 years later, I'm still surprised this wasn't the de jure series finale for the whole anime. Overall, the episode handled the departure of Misty well, but the show was never the same after that.

zhixun

This episode marks the group starts to separate which is a sad thing in my opinion. But nice to see that Satoshi and Takeshi went back to Kasumi when she was facing the three brothers. The funniest thing in this episode is Sonans being the one to press the buttons to lock everyone in the goal.

minerswhocraft

Misty Come Back!
Pokemon started when I was 5 years old. I watched it then during the first season, but never followed the show closely and stopped after a while. Growing older I learned Misty and Brock had left the show and the idea was silly to me, but still I didn't care much.

Then, in April 2014 I started to watch the show from the beginning. I instantly was hooked and couldn't stop. This past Wednesday I reached this episode. "Gotta catch you later." It made me tear up, made me happy, made me sad, made me love pokemon, made me hate pokemon. 4 days later, I can't get the episode off my mind. After sending 2 months with the trio letting them go is not easy. I've tried to continue watching, but May and Max have not helped. I've tried watching chronicles, but every episode I finish just means fewer episodes with Misty to watch.

I'm depressed after this episode. It's hard to continue watching and I want so badly for this trio to reunite already. May and Max are funny, but there is such a hole left in the show now. I'm not sure I can continue and might just decide that the series ends here and that there is nothing else to watch.

This episode hit hard. This episode hit deep.

phanpycross

God-king
So, I finally Got around to watching AG, so I decided to rewatch This prologue.

Despite Me not having watched OS in years, Seeing Misty and Brock leave was still hard, and seeing Ash restart his journey is still a huge "f@ck yeah" moment.

9/10 A great start to my favorite Saga.

minerswhocraft

Misty Come Back!
seeing Ash restart his journey is still a huge "f@ck yeah" moment.

Interesting view. I thought he started off pretty slow. He spent a few episodes with just Pikachu and Pikachu got very sick, so I always felt that it wasn't a "f@ck yeah" start, but more of a "maybe this wasn't a good idea" start, haha.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I tend to forget that Gary was in this episode too for some reason, as this is his last episode for a long time. Gary never does make anything but brief cameos after this, so he should have gotten a better sendoff.

I'm surprised at how quickly the trio split up. Misty/Brock were gone by the first commercial break. I also don't understand why the writers made a big deal out of Brock leaving when they knew they were bringing him back only 4 episodes later. This episode made it seem like Brock was leaving for good too.

Janovy

Banned
I'm surprised at how quickly the trio split up. Misty/Brock were gone by the first commercial break. I also don't understand why the writers made a big deal out of Brock leaving when they knew they were bringing him back only 4 episodes later. This episode made it seem like Brock was leaving for good too.
The kids didn't know, the viewers didn't know, Ash as a character didn't know.

It would be anything but realistic if they treated the departure lightly as if it didn't matter.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The kids didn't know, the viewers didn't know, Ash as a character didn't know.

It would be anything but realistic if they treated the departure lightly as if it didn't matter.

AG promotion started months before Johto ended, with the first AG cast poster showing May and Max on the group and no Misty. Everyone knew Misty was leaving months before it happened.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
This episode was Ok, though I disliked the parts with the Invincible Pokemon brothers and Team Rocket as they were quite irritating, loved how Ash, Misty, and Brock dealt with them though. When I first seen this episode, it was depressing, though now it doesn't even bother me that Misty and Brock left, especially when Brock came back a few episodes later lol. It still is a little emotional for me though, but I thought that Memories are Made of bliss had more emotional moments in it imo.
I'd give it an 8/10