• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Graphics Club Halloween Contest

Which banner should win the contest?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

~Light

Welcome to the first contest of the Graphics Club

Here are the results:

Entry Number 1 was from DarkEmerl123
Entry Number 2 was from Neo Pikachu
Entry Number 3 was from PikaPal_Lyra
Entry Number 4 was from millarc3005

Congratulations to millarc3005 who won the first Graphics Club contest!

I hope you enjoyed this contest and until the next one !

Theme: Halloween
Medium: Banner

Entry Number 1:
http://i40.*******.com/15i3r7o.png

Entry Number 2:
http://i40.*******.com/2cana8.png

Entry Number 3:
http://i40.*******.com/a0xt01.png

Entry Number 4:
http://i40.*******.com/k6lo6.png

When you vote please say why you voted for that banner. If you vote for yourself your entry will be disqualified.

Good luck !

Last edited:

arceusvictini

Taking over Serebii
I vote for entry number 2.
http://i40.*******.com/2cana8.png
Its applying of text textures amazes me. Also transparency was used to GREAT effect, however it wasn't SO overused that it looked like one of lucarioisawesome's banners. The banner itself has so much more to offer than its focal point. Simply amazing (literally).​

EzzPeon

just a passerby
It wasn't an easy choice to make, but I voted for banner #1. I love the render and the textures that were used. I'm usually not a big fan of the glow effect, but I like the way it was used on the writing.

All the other banners look great too! But I think #2 and #3 miss a vocal point, and I don't really like the pixel-y border on the text on banner #4. (But I'm not a great critic, I don't know that much about it. :$)

Kelz

More saving. More doing.™
I did'nt have time to enter... :(

But anyways, I voted for #4. I like the size, the colors, how the picture compliments the background, etc. This one is by far my favorite.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
Definitely #4. Great use of colors, and the render was used very well. Only thing that could have used a bit of fixing was the text. Other than that, superb job.

Cassiopeia

No more massacres.
I haet all of them D:
voting for #2. even though I frown on the two focals, it definitely displays the most skill.

kyogreblue3

take a byte
I vote for entry 4.
I love how the background has the same color scheme as the render, and the text looks pretty good IMO, and the pixel border looked kind of necessary but still pixel-y :/
How some light in the lower left corner starts out strong and fades into the smudginess of the background is awesome

SmartD

I pick entry #4 because the background is nice, the render is perfect, and the girl is cute.

Skiyomi

Only Mostly Dead
I had a tough time choosing, but I ended up going for #2. While it suffers from a lack of focus and is a bit overdone in a few places, I really do like the atmosphere it creates and I love the textwork, particularly on the "Happy Halloween" part.

Entry 1# is heavily overbrushed and looks a bit awkward when it comes to placement.

Entry 3# is just... not very good. It's so simple, that it lacks any 'oomph' to make it stand out between the others. The scars on the faces of the Lyra's are badly placed, they even go over her hair! On top of that, it is not scary or aesthatically pleasing at all. Also, at least try to make it a secret that you made this thing; you have Lyra renders all over the place and PPL in the lower-right corner. Come on.

I won't vote for 2# is because it has certain faults that could have easily be rid off. For example, the outline of the hoodie zombie render looks extremely sketchy. Would've been better if you blurred that crap. The only interesting thing that there is is the guy with the hoodie and we can't make anything out of the black grungy splots so I also don't understand why he would go for such a large canvas.

4# has faults also, like the placement and choice of font of the text, but so do the other two banners. Simply because I do not like the rest, I will vote for this one.

I am dissapointed, very.

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
Entry 1# is heavily overbrushed and looks a bit awkward when it comes to placement.

Entry 3# is just... not very good. It's so simple, that it lacks any 'oomph' to make it stand out between the others. The scars on the faces of the Lyra's are badly placed, they even go over her hair! On top of that, it is not scary or aesthatically pleasing at all. Also, at least try to make it a secret that you made this thing; you have Lyra renders all over the place and PPL in the lower-right corner. Come on.

I won't vote for 2# is because it has certain faults that could have easily be rid off. For example, the outline of the hoodie zombie render looks extremely sketchy. Would've been better if you blurred that crap. The only interesting thing that there is is the guy with the hoodie and we can't make anything out of the black grungy splots so I also don't understand why he would go for such a large canvas.

4# has faults also, like the placement and choice of font of the text, but so do the other two banners. Simply because I do not like the rest, I will vote for this one.

I am dissapointed, very.
I was gonna do a fragmentation/extracted banner with blood splatters everywhere but my friend in school said 'I want you to enter something simple, no fragmentaion or whatever, no text aswell' :/ nya~

Roronoa Zoro

Cracks begin to show
First of all, I would like to say good job to all the participants. In my opinion, these four banners are all of good quality.much better than anything I could do. ^_^
Don't be discouraged if someone doesn't like your banner, I think you all did well.

Anyways, I voted for entry 4. I like how the colors and render go together.

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
i voted for 3, its not th3 best but those "dolls" freaks me out :0

I pick entry #4 because the background is nice, the render is perfect, and the girl is cute.

I did'nt have time to enter... :(

But anyways, I voted for #4. I like the size, the colors, how the picture compliments the background, etc. This one is by far my favorite.

See, Mew_, this is probably the main reason that people were against the idea of letting the general public vote because their basis for voting is, well, quite bizarre.

To be honest the competition displayed is fairly weak. The first banner is heavily overbrushed and the text doesn't go with the mood at all. The second one is an awkward size and has far too many focal points and looks quite messy. The third one does look a tiny tiny tiny bit 'creepy', you could say, but visually speaking it's rather underwhelming. The text looks a bit odd in the fourth banner, but overall it doesn't have any glaring faults which is why it has my vote.

#4.

Azure Wolf

^ I concur regarding the weak competition.

One thing I've learnt over all my years of photoshop is that you should never use raw brushing to fill up a banner. It's disappointing and if overused it turns off the viewer, the render is fairly decent but that's that. There's minimal display of actual skill presented in this banner.

To the creator: I'd suggest that if you DO have to use brushes, please try to blend them along with a background (Which you don't really have in this case.) and the render. Present a "flow" and choose one direction in which your banner goes. Try reading some tutorials on lighting effects on banners and you'll improve vastly. Good luck.

The proportions of this banner are unappealing especially since the size of the render is so small you could fit in 4 more of them in that banner. The overall feel of the banner is heavy and the colors are too contrasting.

To the creator: Try to strike a balance between the sizes of the render and the actual banner. The render should comfortably fill a portion of the banner but should leave ample breathing space as well for other elements such as text, etc. Don't use such harsh colors even if you want to portray dark themes or gore, etc. The text is stealing all the focus and this ruins the whole focal point of the banner, try to make it much more subtle.

While the idea of going simple is actually good, it could have been executed much neatly. Since you're not going to put in more elements you have to make sure that the stuff you have in it should be perfect. It's not. The render's have choppy borders in a few areas and those blood stains aren't in the best quality as well. Plus the renders are blurred slightly.

To the creator: Grab a sharpening tool, select a soft 100-150 px brush and set the strength to 25%. Brush once over the whole banner and see how the blurry lines get crisp in no time.

#4 [Voted]
The text feels really amateur which is robbing the banner of it's points. The render is good but what's bad is that you haven't done anything much to it apart from it sitting there, the background is fair but one can see the huge brush put at the corner quite obviously. This banner has the least mistakes, which takes my vote.

To the creator: You're on the right track, all I can say is you need more practice and guidance. Read some tutorials and try them out.
In my initial times I did, it helped me a tonne.

Note: I may sound harsh at times, but please don't take it at heart. I want all of you to be class graphic designers thus I try to put my points across.

~Light

Here are the results:

Entry Number 1 was from DarkEmerl123
Entry Number 2 was from Neo Pikachu
Entry Number 3 was from PikaPal_Lyra
Entry Number 4 was from millarc3005

Congratulations to millarc3005 who won the first Graphics Club contest!

I hope you enjoyed this contest and until the next one !

Status
Not open for further replies.