• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Grass-Fire Retreat/Renew Deck?

Pokemoder

Dedicated
Hey all! I used to play the TCG when I was in elementary school but when I arrived at junior high I stopped playing. Now in high school, my buddies and I decided to play again. My buddy bought the Retort deck and I bought the Recon deck, so my deck is based off the Recon deck. I don't know exactly what I put together here. I put in the Yanmega's to deal continuous damage to my party's bench. My two Tangrowth's are the big hitters with grind (If I stack enough energy's on them). I put in the Tangrowth Lv. X which may help one of the Tangrowth's renew health, giving him more time to attack with some high numbers. The Magmortar and the Ninetales came with the original Recon deck, but I figured I would just keep them in there. I put in the Ho-Oh for some damage. I put in the Tropius to switch my opponent's Pokemon on and off the bench, and to heal my grass Pokemon on my bench. I put in the Chimecho to switch my opponents Pokemon on and off the bench and to heal my benched Pokemon. I put in other trainer cards to help as well.

What I'm going for here is a deck that forces the other Pokemon to retreat, while also renewing my health...or something like that. >.<

I would love suggestion's and help! I haven't played this game in years and I would love to have a strong deck. I don't know If I will compete in leagues/tournaments or just with my buddies, but either way I want to have fun. I'm still a noob at the TCG!

Here's the setup...

Pokemon (x21)

Yanma (x3) - HS Triumphant (Common)
Yanmega Prime (x2) - HS Triumphant (Super Rare)
Tangela (x4) - Call of Legends (Common)
Tangrowth (x2) - Call of Legends (Rare)
Tangrowth Lv. X - Platinum Arceus (Rare)
Magmar (x2) - Call of Legends (Common)
Magmortar - Call of Legends (Rare)
Vulpix (x2) - Call of Legends (Common)
Ninetales - Call of Legends (Rare)
Ho-Oh - Call of Legends (Rare)
Tropius - Diamond and Pearl Mysterious Treasures (Uncommon)
Chimecho - Black Star Promo

Trainers/Supporters (x16)

Interviewer's Questions (x2) - Call of Legends (Uncommon)
Professor Elm's Training Method (x3) - Call of Legends (Uncommon)
Pokemon Communication (x2) - HeartGold & SoulSilver (Uncommon)
Sage's Training (x2) - Call of Legends (Uncommon)
Life Herb (x2) - HS Unleashed (Uncommon)
Energy Returner (x2) - HS Unleashed (Uncommon)
Copycat - Call of Legends (Uncommon)
Night Maintenance - Mysterious Treasures (Uncommon)
Switch - Diamond and Pearl Stormfront (Common)

Energy (x23)

Grass Energy (x12)
Fire Energy (x11)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dark Sharpedo

s tier of dopeness
One questoion, regarding the Chimecho...
I dont know off by heart what type it is, so I'm wondering "is it Psychic or Colourless?"
Can you please answer that question....?
Also, if Chimecho is Psychic; Can I ask why you dont have any Psychic energies?

Pokemoder

Dedicated
Yes, the Chimecho is in fact psychic. I received it during one of those casual Toys-R-Us tournament's that the store used to put on every so often. It has 70 HP and has two attacks...

Resonate (1 Colorless Energy) - Your opponent switches each Defending Pokemon with his or her Benched Pokemon. If your opponent has only 1 Benched Pokemon, you choose the Defending Pokemon to switch.

Healing Sound (2 Colorless Energy) - Remove 3 damage counters from each of your Active Pokemon. Each Defending Pokemon is now asleep.

The attacks both cost colorless energy, which I think is pretty cool. : )

Pokemoder

Dedicated
I'm thinking I add two Shaymin, a Shaymin Lv. X and two Uxies. I don't know what I would take out though. Probably my fire Pokemon. It would probably be better if it were more a grass deck.

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
No, no, no, this deck is far to uneven, so it's time for poke basic's with you're host, this guy.

Ok, first off the format is majestic dawn to Call of legends (soon B/W)
1. A proper pokemon stage line in a deck should be, 2-1-2 or 2-2-2 (you can go 4-4-4 max), for piplup, prinplup and empoleon, this reason is to increase the playability and draw rate of you're evo's to basic, adding in cards like collector's increase's the setup rate if you find your not drawing enough basic's, always run cards like rare candy, just so it's faster to set the cards up as well.
2. never run more then 17 energy cards in a deck, if you don't you're hemoraging energy and can't get additional pokemon cards out to attack mid to late game, or have the wonderful 1 pokemon 6 energy and can't do anything, if you have issue's drawing energy consider more Interviewer's Question's or energy search due to the two type's of energy in you're deck.
3. You're T/S/S line is nice and all but try this out as a skeleton, you're likely to see more result's

3 bebe's search
3 Interviewer's question's
3 pokemon collector
2 pokemon communication
4 rare candy
1 palmer's contrabution
1 judge
2 copy cat

other then that, welcome back to the tcg.

Pokemoder

Dedicated
Thank you very much Ven. I'll definitely use your suggestions! This will most definitely help me get back into the TCG.

Should I have any Trainer cards that may heal my Pokemon?

Last edited:

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
I just gave that as a moveable skeleton. If you want to go for it sure, but you could consider a pokemon to heal like blissey from platnium or leafeon from riding rival's.

Also to get the most optimal use out of yanmega prime would be 4 copycat and 4 judge.

Pokemoder

Dedicated
Alright thanks. I want to get the most optimal use out of Yanmega prime so I'll try and get those cards. The Chimecho heals, but I think I'll have one more Pokemon.