• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"GRASS" the worst starter and possibly type??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree with you though on Serperior. Probably worst Grass-type starter in my opinion. 90% of the time I'm all about grass starters but Oshawott took the win in gen V.

Certainly. I used Bulbasaur, Turtwig and Treeko, and they were all awesomely good- especially Turtwig. Serperior? Not so much.

Apollo77

John Doe
I'd have to say grass is the worst starter in my opinion. The only ones who are actually decent are Venusaur and Torterra, and both are outclassed by another starter in their generation. (Blastoise and Infernape, repectively.) The other three just don't hold candle to the others in their generation. (Meganium getting the award for worst starter ever IMO.) As for if it's the worst type, I'd say no because there really isn't a single worst type. It isn't a very good one, because of it's large amount of weaknesses and few type advantages over other pokes. However, it has some uses. Pokemon like Venusaur, Ferrothorn, and Breloom are top-tier Pokemon that can do some real damage. Others like Whimsicott and Jumpluff are great supporting Pokemon. It all depends on what you like on your team, really.

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
I hear grass starters are the hardest to use....But, i'll have to at least admit their my favorite additude-wise. They always seem so 'cool, calm, and, collected'. ^_^ kind of like riku is, i suppose....

That said, I try not to care too much about power. A lot of grass pokemon are actually pretty usable, anyways. Even ones like Whimsicott are actually pretty strong. Personally, really, i'd love to use something like a Cleffa or Delcatty to cream trainers over wi-fi but I rather not risk getting sweeped......Power isn't everything to me, though. I just can't stand being sweeped >_<; Its a bit of a real full blown phobia for me and sadly has made it quite a bit harder for me to play my games against my friends now. :(

SirBlazikeen

When they release Serperior with its Dream World Ability 'Contrary' we'll see whos the worst type starter. That thing combined with Leaf Storm is gonna be DEADLY! :D

Dark Violet Moon Ray

Sorry if this have been made before,but I would really appreciate an answer.

"GRASS" is weak to 5 types!!!! ( Never understood why to POISON". It's resisted by 7 types and effective against only 3. ( And we all know the gimmick of water types using ice beam and electric types using signal beam).
So, do u think that Grass is dwarfed by the other starters? or by the other types as well? what changes do u think the pokechart should undergo in order to balance grass? or do u think it is already usable and on bar with water and fire? Thanks ;)

Everyone knows you can poison grass. It's a real-life effect. Try it on weeds.

Anyway, no, grass is the best starter--especially for Kanto gyms and Hoenn gyms. Why? Because Rock types suck. That's why.

I see a pattern, Grass for advantage against the first badges and weakness in the long run; Water for neutrality/advantage against first, second and sometimes third badges and more neutrality in the long run; fire for weakness against the first, and sometimes second badges, and varying weakness/advantage in the long run.

Fire usually has more power and aims at one-hit takedowns like Blazibun and Typhlosion. Water is usually the defensive starter like Empoleon or Blasty. Grass is usually the status and strategical starter like Venusaur or Meganium.

Although my initial statement is an opinion and cannot be proven, I say this despite the fact that I usually choose fire starters with the exception of Empoleon ( I just don't like monkeys. No offense to Infernape--flaming poo-throwing monkey--fans.)

As for the Grass TYPE: I think Grass is indeed severely crippled in weakness. But, this is okay given that most grass-types supply ample amounts of status-crippling power. Examples: Shroomish's Leech Seed and Effect Spore (Nuff said), Roselia's Toxic, Tropius's Chlorophyllic Solarbeams, Vileplume's relentless powder supply.

Yeah, stfu. Grass is a mean type that deserves the weaknesses it has! -rage-

Last edited:

tyranitarenthusiast

no its not the worst type, most grass starters can learn earthquake which takes care of many problems.

Savanny Killersaurus

In Another Castle
Grass may have many weaknesses, but they have just as many abilities that make up for it. Like status-inducing moves, draining/recovery moves, and abilities they can use to their advantage on the battlefield.
I absolutely love grass types, especially Cradily and Roserade. They are both great support Pokémon, and most grass types fill this role.
It all depends on the makeup of your team if grass is great or not. For me, it's never let me down. :)

Blood Red Absol

AquaMilotic's Waifu
The grass starters are all my favorites :O
I understand what you are saying, but I will always love grass types <3

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Ice moves. I immediately thought, "Torterra." Nope.

Venusaur lacks Attack powa.

Meganium, too. Sceptile? Meh.
Torterra- carried Stone Edge to counter the switches

Venasaur- Growth, Sleep Powder, and Chlorophyll

Megabium- is more defensive

Sceptile- sp attacker and Swords Dance sweeper.

Dark Violet Moon Ray

Torterra- carried Stone Edge to counter the switches

Venasaur- Growth, Sleep Powder, and Chlorophyll

Megabium- is more defensive

Sceptile- sp attacker and Swords Dance sweeper.

Ice MOVES. Not Pokemon. Example: Empoleon with Ice Beam. Done deal, friend.

Yes, yes. Mega's more defensive, I said this already. Oh wait, what is THAT!? Is that... some kind of... Speedy Status-afflicting Pokemon!? MY GOSH! Yeah. Fawk Meganium. It'd also fall pre quickly to a strong X-Scissoring Poke. (Ninjask, anyone?)

Yes, Sceptile can do that I feel ya. Oh wait... Is that... Yes it is! It's a Blaze-Kickin' Blaziken equipped with a Scope Lens/The Return of the Ice Beaming Empoleon/Any-Pokemon-with-cool-resistance-to-any-of-the-possible-types-of-moves-Sceptile-can-throw-at-it-while-being-able-to-deal-type-weakness-damage-to-Sceptile!!

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Ice MOVES. Not Pokemon. Example: Empoleon with Ice Beam. Done deal, friend.

Yes, yes. Mega's more defensive, I said this already. Oh wait, what is THAT!? Is that... some kind of... Speedy Status-afflicting Pokemon!? MY GOSH! Yeah. Fawk Meganium. It'd also fall pre quickly to a strong X-Scissoring Poke. (Ninjask, anyone?)

Yes, Sceptile can do that I feel ya. Oh wait... Is that... Yes it is! It's a Blaze-Kickin' Blaziken equipped with a Scope Lens/The Return of the Ice Beaming Empoleon/Any-Pokemon-with-cool-resistance-to-any-of-the-possible-types-of-moves-Sceptile-can-throw-at-it-while-being-able-to-deal-type-weakness-damage-to-Sceptile!!

That's if it can switch in but if Empoleon is hit by Earthquake then he is done. Sceptile has Acrobatics with Flying gem allowing it to kill it as well as activating Unburden lol. Doesn't matter if it super effective against it, a counter is one who can switch in and hurt it back before falling.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
When they release Serperior with its Dream World Ability 'Contrary' we'll see whos the worst type starter. That thing combined with Leaf Storm is gonna be DEADLY! :D

Yeah, because one good Pokémon will make the whole type worth using. xD~ It is like saying that Poison-Type is one of the best solely because Gengar, a Poison Pokémon, is one of the bests ever created.

Dark Violet Moon Ray

That's if it can switch in but if Empoleon is hit by Earthquake then he is done. Sceptile has Acrobatics with Flying gem allowing it to kill it as well as activating Unburden lol. Doesn't matter if it super effective against it, a counter is one who can switch in and hurt it back before falling.

Oh you're getting all serious and competitive and whatever.

Never mind, I'm going to end this right now for my own sake of having a life to get back to.

Mitja

Veteran smartass
Many of you "defend" the Grass type like it is a matter of opinion. But Grass is inherently worse off on the type chart, whereas Fire and Water are quite equal and superior to Grass in offense and defense.

Doesn't mean I have something against people who like the Grass starters. I love all of them. Im just pointing out that Grass deserves a buff as it is far from Fire/Waters league in general.

Like, of course having a secondary type can make up for it, but it makes Water and Fire even stronger in comparison..

Status
Not open for further replies.