• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"GRASS" the worst starter and possibly type??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
So, is it safe to say that the 3 starter types are on bar with each other?

Yeah, it is. The starter types are meant to be equal to each other to begin with.

I just understand why it is only SE against grass..when it could also be SE against water and Dragons.

In the first generation, there weren't any types that were super effective to two starter types. I guess it'd be unfair for Poison to be the exception.

And i never really understood why grass isn't SE against poison!!! Herbal remedies > poison!!

By that logic, Psychic should be super effective against Dark, and Dark should be super effective against Fighting, since opposites are supposed to be good against each other.

WingBlast

Poke-holic
By that logic, Psychic should be super effective against Dark, and Dark should be super effective against Fighting, since opposites are supposed to be good against each other.
Not really! psychic is not the opposite of dark!! one is the power of mind and the other is fighting dirty! I do not think that they are meant to be polar opposites. Fighting and dark are though. But, it is probably what u said about the first generation chart! I just wish they could rework the chart.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Not really! psychic is not the opposite of dark!! one is the power of mind and the other is fighting dirty! I do not think that they are meant to be polar opposites. Fighting and dark are though. But, it is probably what u said about the first generation chart! I just wish they could rework the chart.

Someone else on another thread brought up the really good point that Psychic involves concentration and focus whereas Dark involves attacking when an opportunity arises to break that focus.

As far as reworking the type chart goes, there really is no need to. Why change something that isn't broken?

WingBlast

Poke-holic
Someone else on another thread brought up the really good point that Psychic involves concentration and focus whereas Dark involves attacking when an opportunity arises to break that focus.

As far as reworking the type chart goes, there really is no need to. Why change something that isn't broken?
Ok, this solidify the concept of those 2 types being somewhat opposite, but it doesn't necessarily mean that psychic should also be SE against Dark! Think about it this way. Until a psychic type has meditated a dark type would have already delivered a fatal blow and that's why psychic is completely ineffective against dark and not just "not very effective".

Hmmm, that's really subjective! I think Ice could should be SE against water and water to be SE against Steel. and if not the the pokechart then definitely the movesets! It's not fair that every water type can learn an ice move to counter grass and every ground type can learn rock type to counter flying! some types are really made to look inferior to other types!

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Ok, this solidify the concept of those 2 types being somewhat opposite, but it doesn't necessarily mean that psychic should also be SE against Dark! Think about it this way. Until a psychic type has meditated a dark type would have already delivered a fatal blow and that's why psychic is completely ineffective against dark and not just "not very effective".

That doesn't change the fact that the two can be interpreted as having advantages of each other, much like how you say poison is susceptible to herbal remedies and that plant life is vulnerable to toxins and such. It's the same logic.

Hmmm, that's really subjective! I think Ice could should be SE against water and water to be SE against Steel. and if not the the pokechart then definitely the movesets! It's not fair that every water type can learn an ice move to counter grass and every ground type can learn rock type to counter flying! some types are really made to look inferior to other types!

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get why those types should match up how you propose they should. Mind elaborating?

As for Water-types getting access to Ice-type moves, Grass already has the advantage of not needing to resort to a second type of move to defeat Water-types, whereas Water-types do (and consequently lose their STAB bonus). I don't see how it's "unfair".

Poliwhirl'sMittens

Lorelei's Apprentice
So, is it safe to say that the 3 starter types are on bar with each other?

And I do understand why poison is SE against grass. I just understand why it is only SE against grass..when it could also be SE against water and Dragons. And i never really understood why grass isn't SE against poison!!! Herbal remedies > poison!!
Poison>Water I agree with.
Grass>Poison, not so much. Herbal remedies are more than just grass/plants alone. Poison kills "naked" grass.

That doesn't change the fact that the two can be interpreted as having advantages of each other, much like how you say poison is susceptible to herbal remedies and that plant life is vulnerable to toxins and such. It's the same logic.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get why those types should match up how you propose they should. Mind elaborating?

As for Water-types getting access to Ice-type moves, Grass already has the advantage of not needing to resort to a second type of move to defeat Water-types, whereas Water-types do (and consequently lose their STAB bonus). I don't see how it's "unfair".

I think WingBlast is going for the concepts of ice freezing water and water causing steel to rust, which I don't disagree with.

Last edited:

WingBlast

Poke-holic

Just because 2 elements are opposite that does not mean they could/ should be SE against each others! (i.e fire vs water). Poison vs grass on the other hand we can actually justify why grass should at least be normally effective. ( Again, I'm not saying that poison shouldn't be effective against grass I'm just saying that poison should also be effective against other types too so that it wouldn't seem as if they simply want to burden grass with extra weaknesses).

Ice freezes waters! In Scandinavia and in the arctic region, all bodies of water are solid frozen. I think this qualifies as to why ice should be SE against water. And water makes metals rust!

Yeah, but i'm not talking about grass vs water here! I'm simply saying that they give a certain type move to a certain type that destroys all its weakness. i.e a fire type with solar beam can counter all of fire's weaknesses! how often do we see a grass type with rock type moves?

Ferrin

Easily Lost
grass types are dangerous if they learn giga drain, in black and white its power has increased to 75 damage. that+stab=112.5 of nutrient-draining damage

Becoming

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐
As far as the grass starters go I do find they suck for a playthrough, specifically because they don't usually have the coverage that I enjoy from my starters. Some grass types (Venusuar, Meganium, Serperior) don't get that many offensive moves if I remember: it's grass STAB and Sludge Bomb. Sure, Meganium has Body Slam and Serperior Slam, it's not great for a starter IMO. Sceptile and Torterra were the best playthrough-wise of the starters, 'cause they got decent offenses and coverage moves (especially with Torterra's ground type). The other starters always had something going for them IMO - all the water types could at least run Surf + Ice Beam/Blizzard, plus some got other moves (EQ on Swampert, Grass Knot on Empoleon). As for fire they were generally offensive and powerful, plus most got decent other moves (see Charizard/Blaziken/Infernape/Emboar movepool).

But the worst type? I don't think there is a worst type. Competitively, some of the grass starters rock, plus grass types get some awesome supporting moves (like Leech Seed). Grass had good and bad sides, but it's not the worst type (well, only for starters!).

MewForever

I would say of the Grass-Water-Fire starters, Grass is generally considered the weakest, with Fire being the strongest and sometimes able to even match its Water counterpart with a given move set.

Poliwhirl'sMittens

Lorelei's Apprentice
I would say of the Grass-Water-Fire starters, Grass is generally considered the weakest, with Fire being the strongest and sometimes able to even match its Water counterpart with a given move set.

I think water is the strongest of the 3 types. What they did with the gen IV starters was brilliant though.

Chthonic Flames

DepressionEscapist
Ice freezes waters! In Scandinavia and in the arctic region, all bodies of water are solid frozen. I think this qualifies as to why ice should be SE against water. And water makes metals rust!

It's not necessarily about "what makes sense" in life. Otherwise you could never end the Water vs. Fire debate, since water turns into steam, but fire also gets extinguished by water. I think Nintendo has done a pretty good job balancing the type effectiveness, to be honest.

Plus not all metals "rust", only iron and steel "rust". There are oxidation-proof/resistant metals out there, one of which is stainless steel.

Yeah, but i'm not talking about grass vs water here! I'm simply saying that they give a certain type move to a certain type that destroys all its weakness. i.e a fire type with solar beam can counter all of fire's weaknesses! how often do we see a grass type with rock type moves?

Technically speaking you CAN teach some grass types rock type moves. The Treecko family, Nuzleaf and Shiftry, Breloom, Torterra, Abomasnow, Tangrowth, and Simisage can all learn Rock Slide via TM. Most people just don't utilize that.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
It's not necessarily about "what makes sense" in life. Otherwise you could never end the Water vs. Fire debate, since water turns into steam, but fire also gets extinguished by water. I think Nintendo has done a pretty good job balancing the type effectiveness, to be honest.

Plus not all metals "rust", only iron and steel "rust". There are oxidation-proof/resistant metals out there, one of which is stainless steel.

Technically speaking you CAN teach some grass types rock type moves. The Treecko family, Nuzleaf and Shiftry, Breloom, Torterra, Abomasnow, Tangrowth, and Simisage can all learn Rock Slide via TM. Most people just don't utilize that.

And they can learn Earthquake if I'm not mistaken. And why's every hating on water? :/ Why isn't ice weak to water then? Since ice dissolve in water anyways :p.

Anyways, Grass type are sometimes dwarfed compared to the other types (especially in the sudden outbreak of steel), but grass can still hold their own though. I loved the gen 4 starter, other than the fact Empoleon is awesome and Piplup is cute, it was the only gen so far that all three starters have a secondary typing. I'm kinda disappointed with the 3rd time Fire/Fighting thing and pure Grass has been there for like 3/5 gens.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
Poison is the worst type. It's only good against GRASS. At least grass beats 3 types.

bushie

grass isn't the worst type but its defintely the worst starter besides in emerald version where treecko is the best starter. poison is the worst in my opinion

The Dark Titan

I think grass is a very good type, if you know how to use it. It could be a sweeper, but that's not it's best function, it's a best status inflicter. Sort of a silent killer.

As for grass-type starters, Turtwig is really the best starter out of the Sinnoh3, and Bulbasaur is really a good pokémon since it's so balanced.

Manna

Rockin' the Suburbs
Grass is alright, but like others have said, it's not as strong as the other starter types.

Poison is the worst type.

Status
Not open for further replies.