• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"GRASS" the worst starter and possibly type??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Both of them can't handle flying type moves. AT ALL.

I don't know, Pokémon of a type having quad-weaknesses doesn't really mean that that type is bad. :/

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
if some type should be bad it is ice it have only 1 resistance.. to ice and 4 weaknesses which all of them are common (steel is common on scizor and ferrothorn)

Ice is an offensive type. See Weavile, Mamoswine, Froslass, Vanilluxe, Beartic, as well as its four SE hits versus common defensive/balanced types.

Both of them can't handle flying type moves. AT ALL.

Because Flying is such a great offensive type, everyone runs it.

Really, guys?

ShinyUmbreon189

RealTalkRealFlow
I'm using Victreebel in SS and I'm not having any problems with her. I EV trained her so I wouldn't have problems. If a Psychic Pokemon came up I'd be able to take it out with it's super high attack even tho it's level 26. I could take out a bug type with it. Poison type, Dark, not fire yet, water, electric, ground, rock, maybe steel, grass, not dragon, and normal. With a welly EV trained grass Pokemon it can do wonders. So no Grass Pokemon are FAR from the worse type. IMO normal types are the worse.

FireEmblemAddict

運命なんか死人の言い訳だ
I wouldn't say grass is the worst starter just because the type has 5 weaknesses, it really depends on stats and abilities too...

Case in point: Venasaur. It is rated very highly among competitive battlers, higher than most other starters (although not all).

Kyro13

Banned
Well, I'm not sure if this is from a competitive stand point or not, but in RBY or FR/LG, choosing Bulbasaur for your starter was your best bet, being as it had type advantage over the first two gyms and there were a lot of water types you could get anyways. The only issue you could have was if you DIDN'T like Ninetales or Arcanine for a fire type

So yeah, grass types aren't too bad

Leosnake

Well, I'm not sure if this is from a competitive stand point or not, but in RBY or FR/LG, choosing Bulbasaur for your starter was your best bet, being as it had type advantage over the first two gyms and there were a lot of water types you could get anyways. The only issue you could have was if you DIDN'T like Ninetales or Arcanine for a fire type

So yeah, grass types aren't too bad

This ^ Plus I while I never really use Grass starters all that much to be honest some of the more competitive support Pokemon are of the grass type. Also not all Grass Pokemon are weak to poison in fact some are duel poison so no longer have that weakness such and also make a nice alternative to using just a basic poison type such as Muk since it has more potential moves and type coverage.

Groundedshock

Effective on ground
Defensively Grass and Rock suck. Offensively or combined with other types such as Steel is amazing.

In Kanto Grass helped through the 1st 4 gyms.
In Johto not so much as the first gyms were a nightmare BUT it provided a great challenge.
In Hoenn- Mixed results but Treecko was fast and pretty strong.
In Sinnoh- Ehhhhhh Same as Johto in some cases
In Unova- Useful for the 5th gym but Same as Johto. In BW2 Marlon is the final gym leader so Serperior can be ready for that.

Its a great type and I enjoy using them as it provides a better challenge using them than in the beginning. They have a lot of diversity in battle styles, stats, move pools and support

Grass types are pretty good in quite a few ways set up one with leech seed, giga drain and stun spore (4th move can be pretty much anything) and youre pretty much set
because leech seed to all types apart from grass does equal damage

Last edited:

Mega Typhlosion

It may be a type with a lot of weaknesses but I follow Karen's saying: "Weak Pokémon. Strong Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites.".

There's no weak type. Grass types can be extremely useful in any team and their support movesets are great. I've played Grass starters in every gen and Serperior is my favorite due to its speed and bulkiness. Sceptile is interesting too but less bulky.

Proxima

Time Traveller
I would never say that grass is a weak type. Some grass types are amazingly powerful *cough* torterra *cough* but yeah some of them are pretty poo and apart from torterra i dont like a single grass starter.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Really what? Please elaborate.

Bug and Grass overlap with Fire's coverage. Really only useful for Fighting types, and can't make a dent in Steel types. Most offensive Flying types use their primary STAB move (ie not Flying) to deal damage. Flying is a defensive type because of its Fighting resist and Earthquake immune.

Get thee to a type chart.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
Grass-types are usually defensive kind of pokemon, but I'd prefer Fire, x3

It is hard to see a type as defensive when it have five weaknesses. Grass is not a offensive nor a defensive type... It is like an "annoyer type"... Like Ghost.
The difference is that Ghost is actually a pretty decent offensive AND defensive type too.

Status
Not open for further replies.