• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"GRASS" the worst starter and possibly type??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitja

Veteran smartass
Well actually, lightning apparently helps grass and plants (indirectly of course otherwise it would cause a fire) which could explain grass's resistance to it. For the sake of giving it another advantage just to make it on more equal terms with fire and water, sure I guess grass can >electric. It is a lot more far fetched than it resisting electric though. What can grass, or even the tallest tree do against a bolt of lightning?

Drain the Electric poke of its electricity and redirect it into the ground maybe?... :S

XXD17

Draco rex
I may be biased but grass types really aren't that bad...sure offensively they can't hit hard and they do have a plethora of weakness BUT they are good at staying alive in battle especially with the sleep powders and leech seeds, they can be pretty darn annoying. Look at tangrowth, ferrothorn, venusaur, breloom, shaymin, and ludicolo...sure they aren't hard-hitting and they do have easy counters BUT if you don't have that specific counter, it they have the potential to walk all over you...My personal faves are sceptile and serperior...the former is a great revenge-killer and the later has the potential to be a potent sweepe...

needsalimegreenespeon

Shine, Eevee, shine!
Uh, well... I usually have a grass type on my team. I loved my Lilligant on my dream team Black. I don't play as smartly as most players do, (I make sure the nature won't hinder my pokemon, that's about it). Meganium is one of my favorite pokemon, along with Whimscott and, of course, Lilligant. In fact, if I recall, Lilligant saved my butt against Elesa's Zebstrika...

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
I may be biased but grass types really aren't that bad...sure offensively they can't hit hard and they do have a plethora of weakness BUT they are good at staying alive in battle especially with the sleep powders and leech seeds, they can be pretty darn annoying.

I agree, and this is one reason I actually like grass types fairly well. Plus some of them are just pretty cool, like Serperior.

Archstaraptor

Team Builder / RMT
Whimsicott is very versatile and annoying, Maractus is a great chlorophyll sweeper+spikes support, Cradily is a brutal wall(though it is rock too) and Serperior will be an amazing sweeper with contrary under its belt.Status moves like spore also belong to grass types.
It's not necessarily all about type disadvantages though-it depends more on move combos and abilities sometimes-and grass types have plenty of these at their disposal.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Well, the only really "strong" starter type is Water.

Both Grass and Fire are not that good.

And yet, one Grass Starter is OU (Venusaur), one fire starter is OU (Infernape), one fire starter is UBER (Blaziken) and not a single water type reached OU. (As far as I know, Swampert is currently the closes thing to an OU water starter.)

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
And yet, one Grass Starter is OU (Venusaur), one fire starter is OU (Infernape), one fire starter is UBER (Blaziken) and not a single water type reached OU. (As far as I know, Swampert is currently the closes thing to an OU water starter.)

Swampert was OU until it's usefulness dropped it to UU but still a good mon regardless!

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination

Both Swampert and Empoleon were OU in Generation IV.

...when the only Fire Starter in OU was Infernape.

Sceptile has started to get fans with it's Aerobatica crap and stuff. I personally never used Sceptile. I like Grovyle better x)

I have an issue with liking pre-evolutions over fully evolved Pokemon. *facepalms*

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
I have an issue with liking pre-evolutions over fully evolved Pokemon. *facepalms*

It is not only you, I pretty much prefer a lot of the mid-evolutions over the fully evolved ones.
Specially when we are talking about starters.

For example:

Charmeleon > Charizard
Ivysaur > Venusaur
Bayleef > Meganium
Grovyle > Sceptile
Monferno > Infernape
Dewott > Samurott

It is not only you, I pretty much prefer a lot of the mid-evolutions over the fully evolved ones.
Specially when we are talking about starters.

For example:

Charmeleon > Charizard
Ivysaur > Venusaur
Bayleef > Meganium
Grovyle > Sceptile
Monferno > Infernape
Dewott > Samurott

*sends FR*

I perfer Haunter > Gengar.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
Well actually, lightning apparently helps grass and plants (indirectly of course otherwise it would cause a fire) which could explain grass's resistance to it. For the sake of giving it another advantage just to make it on more equal terms with fire and water, sure I guess grass can >electric. It is a lot more far fetched than it resisting electric though. What can grass, or even the tallest tree do against a bolt of lightning?
The nitrogen gas that is released from the atmosphere by lightning helps plants grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.