• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"GRASS" the worst starter and possibly type??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autis-misc

Abridger
Grass is by far the "worst type". No type is "the worst" (unless you count Normal, then, by weaknesses it isn't very good, since it can't hurt rock or ghost types. And the fact Normal doesn't get STAB)

if your only taking Starter's into the option (it says Possibly type), then you guys have a long way to go. there are several great grass types out there.

Ludicolo - Perfect for taking care of fire/ice damage. Rain Dish + Hydro Pump + Rainy Weather can take care of any fire type.
Vileplume - Sleep Powder, Poison Power, and Giga Drain can whisk away life easily, may not be the best type for a fire pokemon, but it's definitly useful.

As for the Starters, they are all great, especially Torterra.
Venusaur - Great Wall. But fire can take it down. If set up correctly, it can take out most ice types.
Meganium - I have nothing for this, since I choose Cyndaquil in Crystal and then lost the game, so I'm not too sure how to deal with it. I hear its a great Wall, though.
Sceptile - Leaf Blade + Overgrow + Scope Lens = Goodbye most types (minus Fire and ice. i've beaten bug with this combo before)
Torterra - Earthquake. It can pretty much take out any opponent. I've taken down the Fire Gym leader before just spamming earthquake on my first platinum playthrough.
Serperior - As stated, once Contrary comes out, your all screwed.

Mitja

Veteran smartass
Grass is by far far from the "worst type". No type is "the worst" (unless you count Normal, then, by weaknesses it isn't very good, since it can't hurt rock or ghost types. And the fact Normal doesn't get STAB It does.., and its way better defensively than Grass.)

if you're only taking Starters into the option (it says Possibly type), then you guys have a long way to go. there are several great grass types out there.

Ludicolo - Perfect for taking care of fire/ice damage. Rain Dish + Hydro Pump + Rainy Weather can take care of any fire type.
Vileplume - Sleep Powder, Poison Power, and Giga Drain can whisk away life easily, may not be the best type for a fire pokemon, but it's definitly useful.

As for the Starters, they are all great, especially Torterra.
Venusaur - Great Wall. But fire can take it down. If set up correctly, it can take out most ice types. most pokemon can take out their weaknesses when set up correctly
Meganium - I have nothing for this, since I choose Cyndaquil in Crystal and then lost the game, so I'm not too sure how to deal with it. I hear its a great Wall, though.
Sceptile - Leaf Blade + Overgrow + Scope Lens = Goodbye most types (minus Fire and ice. i've beaten bug with this combo before) Its higher offensive stat is special attack. Probably want to have a Hidden Power for coverage since Grass is resisted by lots of types
Torterra - Earthquake. It can pretty much take out any opponent. I've taken down the Fire Gym leader before just spamming earthquake on my first platinum playthrough.But there is no Fire gym in Sinnoh.
Serperior - As stated, once Contrary comes out, you're all screwed. Thats like bringing up Speed Boost Blaziken..

So still, sure Grass pokemon can be great with proper extras like secondary types.. but Fire and Water just get even better when they have those too.

destinydude000

The Awesome Dude
No!!
Some of the grass types are extremely kickass!!!
For example, venusaur. If you have a sunny day team, you can devastate a whole Team with it.
Or a cradily, it's one of the best bulks.
Don't let me start with breloom that cripples every team!
How bout lodiculo that annoyes the hell out of you!
What about sceptile that's one of the best special sweepers there is.
And how can you look at venusaur and don't want to snuggle with it?!

Last edited:

Mitja

Veteran smartass
No!!
Some of the grass types are extremely kickass!!!
For example, venusaur. If you have a sunny day team, you can devastate a whole Team with it.
Or a cradily, it's one of the best bulks.
Don't let me start with breloom that cripples every team!
How bout lodiculo that annoyes the hell out of you!
What about sceptile that's one of the best special sweepers there is.
And how can you look at venusaur and don't want to snuggle with it?!

Same..
Here let me try that with Fire.

Fire types are even more kickass with the same kind of extras!!!
For example Blaziken with speed boost can devastate a whole team.
Or Heatran, with great bulk and packs a serious punch.
Don't let me start with Volcarona that destroys everything after setting up!
(Ludicolo is more an argument for Water pokemon than Grass...it would be better off without the Grass type. Whereas without the Water type it wouldn't even have those abilities)
What about Chandelure that's one of the best special sweepers there is.
And how can you look at Typhlosion and not want to cuddle it?

Don't make me do it for Water, cause I'll have to bring up Gyarados, Kingdra, Swampert, Suicune... and Ludicolo lol

Buuz

Smash Trainer
Meh, grass isn't that bad. It's hard to explain why, but i think there are worse types than grass. Poison, for example. There are just too many bad poison types. Sure some of them are dual types with grass but pokémon like Zubat are not only useless but annoying as well.

Mitja

Veteran smartass
Meh, grass isn't that bad. It's hard to explain why, but i think there are worse types than grass. Poison, for example. There are just too many bad poison types. Sure some of them are dual types with grass but pokémon like Zubat are not only useless but annoying as well.

Poison is the worst type offensively no contest sure.
But the thing about offense is that pokemon are not bound to their STAB moves, whereas when its about defense, you are either doing well or screwed.
In that view, as types go, Defense matters much more than offense.

And Poison actually fares well defensively and is the bonus that gives pokemon like Venusaur an extremely welcome Fighting resistance and narrows down Drapions weaknesses to just Ground etc.
Since the unfortunate example you chose, Crobat, is an offensive Poison pokemon, its kind of lackluster, but definitely not useless with that speed.

So.... the only type thats really worse than Grass is Ice. And its pretty much on par with Psychic. Other than that, all types are better defensively and would rather not be combined with any of these 3 if they want to survive anything.

As a Grass type user, I have to say it's all in how you work them. The first type I wanted to do for a solid type team for medal earning against the Elite Four was Grass, I made it though with ease. I think being a Grass type user says something about people who choose them as their favorite type too. I think it says we are resilient, knock us out, burn us, we'll grow back, brighter and stronger for it.

There's really no way to determine "worst type" without it being completely opinion. Grass types may not get very good defense, but I've been killed by a good number of grass type users in my day. It's really just a matter of knowing how to use them. Grass types weren't really meant to be pure attackers. They were meant to be status afflicters and annoyers. Some of them are even pretty good offensively. It takes a special kind of person to use grass types, but when you know how to use them, they are incredibly useful.

This is how the 3 maon types go:
Water: More Defensive/Offensive
Grass: Offensive and less Defensive (except Torterra), gradually good with speed
Fire: KILL EVERYTHAN WITH DA POWAH OF FIIAAAHHHH

Autis-misc

Abridger
So still, sure Grass pokemon can be great with proper extras like secondary types.. but Fire and Water just get even better when they have those too.

1. I meant the Fire Elite 4 member, not a gym leader... sorry.

But, That doesn't prove that Grass is the worst starter. By posting that, I say that there is no "Best" or "worst" starter, Best and Worst are opinionated. If you take competitive play into account, each and every type is the best.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
But Turtwig and Bulbasaur are just too great to be the worst starters
And I just had to have a female Snivy after seeing how well Ash's was advertised. :p

Successful grass type use lies in attacks like leech seed and ingrain. Combined with a healthy does of poison powder, you've got most matches tied up. I have even taken out fire types with that combo. Hit em with something hard after wards and its over.

cookies kill you

Like a boss
ehh personally ill take a grass type over a bug, steel or poison but its still usually like the last pokemon on my team strength wise

Mitja

Veteran smartass
1. I meant the Fire Elite 4 member, not a gym leader... sorry.

But, That doesn't prove that Grass is the worst starter. By posting that, I say that there is no "Best" or "worst" starter, Best and Worst are opinionated. If you take competitive play into account, each and every type is the best.

Of course it doesn't. They can give it awesome stats, second type and movepool to make it good, but its still going to go down easier than if its type was Water, because Grass is inherently weaker on the type chart. I find that unfair and wish gamefreak would tweak it in its favor along with some other improvements.

Sure, grass types are weak to fire, bug, flying, and poison, but they have great stats and moves that keep them from dying. My Serperior here is:

Serperior@Big Root
Timid
252 Sp. Attk., 252 Speed, 4HP
Leech Seed
Ingrain
Glare
Giga Drain

Which does some major killing. Glare Paralyzes the foe, which can cause it not to move on and off. Ingrain, Leech Seed, and Giga Drain combined with Big Root deals some damage too, causing my Serperior to be a real pain, gaining all that HP.

And I have to mention that, Empoleon's typing of Steel makes it take normal damage from fire. And yes, I know Torterra become the same way with it's ground Typing, and Infernape becomes weak to Psychic.

EDIT: Dude you're spamming. Delete your posts or they will be reported.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.