• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"GRASS" the worst starter and possibly type??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Grass types are great if used in the right place at the right time.
And there are lots of very good ways to use grass, as different combinations of types change the whole theory entirely.

The same could be said for every other type as well, such as for other types that don't have that many types that it is super effective against, which is why I don't believe that the Grass type is bad only because of type matchup.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
I mean, the game's directed towards children, so sure. But it seems to me like there's a higher percentage of grass "wimps" than others. Admittedly, I'm biased, but I already went over that.
Well I disagree. Regarding the three starter types, I think Grass have the greatest amount of nice/interesting looking Pokémon.
Grass > Fire > Water in this aspect. A lot of Water Pokémon looks uninteresting to me.

This is what I am talking about. From what I have read, a good amount of the people that are against grass types really dont understand the strategery (SNL) behind them

B

Who are against Grass-Type Pokémon here? I would like you to point who are these people, if you please. I said that they aren't that good if compared to a lot of others type, but even so, there is a lot of Grass Pokémon I appreciate. In my current Emerald run, there is three Grass Pokémon in my team. Also, regarding starters, most of the time I picked Grass-Type Pokémon and I love using Leech Seed + Mega/Giga Drain. See? There is a big difference between knowing a type isn't that great and disliking it.

BJPalmer85

Well I disagree. Regarding the three starter types, I think Grass have the greatest amount of nice/interesting looking Pokémon.
Grass > Fire > Water in this aspect. A lot of Water Pokémon looks uninteresting to me.

Who are against Grass-Type Pokémon here? I would like you to point who are these people, if you please. I said that they aren't that good if compared to a lot of others type, but even so, there is a lot of Grass Pokémon I appreciate. In my current Emerald run, there is three Grass Pokémon in my team. Also, regarding starters, most of the time I picked Grass-Type Pokémon and I love using Leech Seed + Mega/Giga Drain. See? There is a big difference between knowing a type isn't that great and disliking it.

I am not singling anyone out. it was a general observation. You clearly understand the use of the type. My commented was directed at people who made statements where it sounded like they were counting them as useless based on comparisons to other types.

B

PS - changing the post so this doesnt happen again

I am not singling anyone out. it was a general observation. You clearly understand the use of the type. My commented was directed at people who made statements where it sounded like they were counting them as useless based on comparisons to other types.
Isn't comparing Grass to other types kinda what this thread is all about...?

Action Bandit

Grass is often one of the worst starters, and usually on master teams like OU and UU they perform badly (like everything there are exceptions).
That being said, in game they are just about as good as any other pokemon when youre leveling up. Like all teams its about balance.
As far as poison weakness, i think it has to do with herbasides and weedkiller. ; )
Also, their moves can be used fairly well, especially to those who dont expect them, but like many moves work only under the right circumstances.
Perhapse with more supporting moves like natural cure or poison point pokemon, or perhapse more sun boosts and higher stats, they can make up for most of their weaknesses.
I mean, Fighting types are normally associated with high atack power, so why cant they adjust grass around a certain stat or stat group? Just a though; while i dont want them compl;etely remaking everything, i think it could help.
But, yeah, more/better abilities perhapse.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
^Add Leftovers to it and watch Ludicolo set up endless Subs.

And with the use of Rain, add Scald to potentially buff its lackluster defense, and you've got one of the most frustrating Sub-Seeder in the game. That grass/water typing helps Ludicolo use a really annoying strategy well, so grass types definitely have advantages that other types don't.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
And with the use of Rain, add Scald to potentially buff its lackluster defense, and you've got one of the most frustrating Sub-Seeder in the game. That grass/water typing helps Ludicolo use a really annoying strategy well, so grass types definitely have advantages that other types don't.

Too bad it takes a couple of turns for Ludicolo to set up, which hampers the strategy somewhat. Oh yeah, and Taunt.

ThisIsPatrick

Grass type isn't the worst type nor is any type for that matter, each type has it's own advantages and disadvantages.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Too bad it takes a couple of turns for Ludicolo to set up, which hampers the strategy somewhat. Oh yeah, and Taunt.

Ludicolo's bulk isn't that bad. It has an alright movepool and even Swift Swim if your going for a Swords Dance set. Taunt yes is there to hurt, granted as well as Togekiss who can Air Slash him.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Ludicolo's bulk isn't that bad. It has an alright movepool and even Swift Swim if your going for a Swords Dance set. Taunt yes is there to hurt, granted as well as Togekiss who can Air Slash him.

Oh, I know Ludicolo's bulk is nothing to scoff at. But in the few turns that it needs to set up Leech Seed, Ingrain, Rain Dance (either with the move or by switching out), a Pokémon could very well KO it before it gets its entire setup going.

lilpup7

MewFan
I don't see how grass pokemon can be considered weak, Some like Torterra can take down an entire team with combonations of Solarbeam, Sunny Day and Giga Drain.

-Nator-

I don't see how grass pokemon can be considered weak, Some like Torterra can take down an entire team with combonations of Solarbeam, Sunny Day and Giga Drain.

Not that anyone would ever use that move-set, but I get the gist of what you're saying.

Mitja

Veteran smartass
I don't see how grass pokemon can be considered weak, Some like Torterra can take down an entire team with...

Thats how:
You have to ask yourself "would it be better or worse if it was something other than Grass?"
And specifically in Torterras case, unless it was Rock/Ground or Ice/Ground, basically ANY other combo would only improve it.

Xynno

On top of that why would you run a special based torterra anyway, he has access to stab earthquake + wood hammer, and throw in stone miss for coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.