• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Grass type pokemon have to many weaknesses?

telivisionhead

Do you think grass type pokemon have to many weaknesses?
Yes or No?
I think Yes.
All their weaknesses make sense of them being its weakness but grass type pokemon have WAY to many of them. I know its a little to late but there are just to many to handle. Then grass being a starter it could make it harder and sometimes the grass types could be poorly created as they have alot of weaknesses and people tend to not use them that much as usual.
What do you think?

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
Pure Grass has 5 weaknesses and 4 resistances. Like the person before me noted though, several of their weaknesses (Fire, Poison, Flying) are somewhat rare offensive types, while several their resistances (Water, Ground) are important offensive types. I would say Grass is doing pretty alright defensively.

telivisionhead

Pure Grass has 5 weaknesses and 4 resistances. Like the person before me noted though, several of their weaknesses (Fire, Poison, Flying) are somewhat rare offensive types, while several their resistances (Water, Ground) are important offensive types. I would say Grass is doing pretty alright defensively.

True. They aren't bad but there are to many weaknesses. Like Ice. Sorta makes sense but then again ice types using icebeam on some random lake would freeze it so wouldn't it freeze water too or instead of grass?

-Nator-

The problem is, it doesn't do well against enough types. Rock has just as many as weaknesses, but does well because it's effective against OU types like Ice and Flying.
I gotta hand it to Grass though. Without it, taking out those pesky Quagsire/Gastrodon/Swampert/Whiscash/whatever else have you, would be a major chore.

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
True. They aren't bad but there are to many weaknesses.
Like I said, there might be a decent amount of them, but several of them are unimportant offensive types.

Like Ice. Sorta makes sense but then again ice types using icebeam on some random lake would freeze it so wouldn't it freeze water too or instead of grass?
Freezing water just changes its form. Freezing a plant kills it, and a lot easier than killing a bug or a mammal with cold.

Orithan

I thought fire was one of the most common attacking type, not rare.
In any case, there are distinct attacking types and defensive types defined by the targets they hit for SE/ half damage and what they take SE/ half damage from.
Attacking types include the likes of Fire, Fighting, Ground and Rock because they have several weaknesses, often to other common offensive types, but they hit a lot, most notably common defensive types, for SE damage (particulary Fighting and Ground, they hit like 7 types, including common defensive types, each for SE damage). Notable mentions include Ice and Water for their wide neutral coverage and good SE hits.
Defensive types include Grass, Poison, Flying and Steel because they pack several resistances to important types but subpar offensive capabilities. Steel is the king of defensive types due to the vast array of resists it has (it has 11 resists and 1 immunity), but what keeps it balanced is that all three of its weaknesses are to common offensive types (Fire, Fighting, Ground) and it has poor SE coverage, which is completely outclassed by Fighting.
Some types, most notably Water and Dragon, are balanced types that are able to objectively peform well as offensive or defensive types. These have wide coverage neutral coverage (offensive), lack of weaknesses (defensive) and a useful set of resists (defensive).

Ditto B1tch

I think that grass Pokemons were given so many weaknesses because most of them are experts to inflict special conditions on foes like poison, sleep, paralysis and even Leech Seed.

If even with 5 weaknesses, defeating a sporing Pokemon is hard some times, just realize how it was going to be harder if grass had only 3 weaknesses, for example.

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
I thought fire was one of the most common attacking type, not rare.

Fire as an offensive type tends to be used to hit specific targets, not for general-purpose attacking. Fire-types are so bad defensively that you tend to not see them outside of sun teams or, like I said, being used to hit specific things, and without STAB it is kind of hard to use as a mainstay attacker. I would say competitively, in OU at least, the most common Fire-type attack you would see would be HP-Fire, not even a real Fire-type move.

Charizard Lord

Probably Napping
There's more to a Type than just its Resistances/Weaknesses. Grass-Types have a lot of Weaknesses, yeah, but they make up for it in other ways. Resisting Electric and Water is pretty awesome, since those attacks are rather common. Plus they get access to amazing status moves like Spore and Leech Seed. And they can paralyze Ground-Types with Stun Spore. There's a lot Grass-Types bring to the table.

telivisionhead

I think that grass Pokemons were given so many weaknesses because most of them are experts to inflict special conditions on foes like poison, sleep, paralysis and even Leech Seed.

If even with 5 weaknesses, defeating a sporing Pokemon is hard some times, just realize how it was going to be harder if grass had only 3 weaknesses, for example.

I totally agree with that! Grass pokemon are great at catching shiny,legendary,killing things and just about catching anything or killing anything.
Catching pokemon by putting it to sleep,paralising it and thats EPIC for battle and poison annoys anyone, unless your poisioning everyone that is.
I think Grass pokemon are great and do alot of damage but they have to many weaknesses so the grass type pokemon arent as good as I want them to and many others to

TanBun

I'm back :3
I don't usually use grass types, but i think Ludicolo and Lanturn would make a awesome match. If you use it well, grass is an awesome type. But no grass for me