• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Grass Type TM's before fighting Misty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee-Sensei

Hi. So I used to play Pokemon growing up, and I just started again after watching a youtube lets play. And I usually choose Bulbasaur, but I chose Charmander to mix it up. But most of the characters I want on my Team I get after Cerulean City. I'm playing Blue Version. I can't beat Misty with Charmeleon so I caught an Oddish, but it only has absorb. Are there any Grass Type TM's around Cerulean city?

Pikafleg

Twenty-Six!
No, I don't think so (though you can check on serebii.net- the information site- under the red/blue/yellow section and there should be a TM list...if not bulbapedia might have one). However, if you aren't that set on using an oddish, you can find a pikachu in viridian forest (they are very rare though), which will be good against misty. Or just train oddish some more first. And it may not be what you are asking here, but since you seem to be struggling I'll give you a cool tip you may or may not care for- assuming you haven't battled the trainers north of cerulean city (AFTER the bridge, battling those trainers is fine), you are in just the right place to do the mew glitch...which is natural and not cheating, at least not in the sense that is prohibited to be discussed on this forum, btw (as there is no external device needed). pm me or search it online if you want to know more about it :)

also, btw, I noticed you made this thread twice probably by accident...you may want to fix that (delete the other one with the thread tools on the top right of your post in the other one). Just letting you know ;)

Last edited:

DGatrz Master

Trainer of Legends.
I did the funniest thing in my Fire Red, I chose Charmander too and got so fed up with losing to Misty I went all the way to the S.S. Anne and got Charizard, came back and destroyed Misty (talk about your one-sided battles!) If you don't wanna do that, here's the list of 1st gen TMs/HMs and the locations: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_TM_and_HM_locations

LizardonX

Banned
I usually start with a charmander and catch a male nidoran , teach it water gun in the first tunnel. Then when nidorino hits 20-21 evolve him with a moon stone and nidokin will learn thrash at 23 and if you only use chamnder/charmeleon and him until cerulean you will be at that level easily . Then I catch an abra to the left of the nugget bridge and thats game right there.

DGatrz Master

Trainer of Legends.
How much grinding did you do 0.0?

I went as far as the game would let me until I had to beat Misty, last thing I remember doing before beating her was training on the S.S. Anne and getting Charizard, then dominating her with Wing Attack.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
just get a pickachu he'll destroy misty

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
Hi. So I used to play Pokemon growing up, and I just started again after watching a youtube lets play. And I usually choose Bulbasaur, but I chose Charmander to mix it up. But most of the characters I want on my Team I get after Cerulean City. I'm playing Blue Version. I can't beat Misty with Charmeleon so I caught an Oddish, but it only has absorb. Are there any Grass Type TM's around Cerulean city?

I gotta ask, are you sure you're playing Blue? Oddish is a Red version exclusive so you can't get Oddish in Blue version.

just get a pickachu he'll destroy misty

That's a problem. If you wanted to catch a Pikachu you'd have to restart the game, you can only catch Pikachu in Viridian Forest and you can't get back through Mnt. Moon. You're not going to be able to get back till you get Fly and that's MUCH later on, or Cut, but you still have to beat misty to unlock that possibility. Granted, restarting now you wouldn't loose much.

There are some other Pokemon here that can help you though to if you are having problems with Oddish.

- On route 4 you can still catch Spearow. While it's not a grass types it can still help a lot. Spearow is a good normal flying Pokemon, so it can learn fly later on. And if you get it to level 20 it'll evolve into Fearow, and that's not really to hard of a thing to do.
- I'm not sure what version you're playing either, i'm going to assume you made a typo and meant to say Red, but i'll list them both anyway. Ekans[red] or Sandshrew[blue] Neither of them are to useful, you have to wait for Ekans to evolve for it to get good moves and that takes a while, and Sandshrew wouldn't help you at the current time but they do become much better when they evolve. [I personally always catch a Sandshrew here]
- If you catch an Ekans assuming you're playing Red you can find an Abra and use wrap on it continuously to keep lowering its HP and keep it from escaping, You can catch it easier. It might be really really hard to train but it evolves at level 16 and by that time should learn decent moves. Plus Psychic types are the strongest types in the game. I highly doubt you'd be able to trade it to evolve it, but Kadabra is still an amazing Pokemon regardless and people usually recommend it over Hypno.

After that if you go through the house with the policeman that was guarding it you can go down to Vermilion and catch a whole slew of different Pokemon like Meowth[blue], Mankey[red], Diglett, and Drowzee, all nice choices, you could also even go through the S.S. Ann assuming you've talked to bill -you have to talk to him anyway to get here- and grind some more there. And you can get an old rod, you'll only find Magikarp but if you grind it'll evolve in no time.

Point is you don't necessarily have to restart the game to get a Pikachu, you can get some other really nice Pokemon.

Last edited:
I agree abra evolves at 16 and immediately learns confusion which will help you not only beat misty but also Erika the grass gym leader and Koga the Fushia. Kadabra is great he is really fast and his special is nice. i would wait till level 31 to evolve him though so he can learn recover.Alakazam and kadabra both learn psychic at level 38 and you'll have one bad *** pokemon!

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
Totally agree with Dragoniss, guess none of us did much research, huh?

Ah, it's not really that. I've just had far to much experience with first gen...more than anyone should really. Plus Blue version is the version I have the most experience with so things just weren't connecting up for me. I still had to look it up to make sure my brain wasn't farting on itself.

I applaud you though for putting up with getting a Charizard just to beat Misty. I guess I always picked Bulbasuar or Squirtle XD That grinding must have been rigorous...and my friends called me crazy for the amount of grinding I can put up with...

fenniken

fire master
get chamander train hard and evole it to charzard trade for ventusaura and beet misty plus you have a power team so that my plan
you can beat everone easy

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
get chamander train hard and evole it to charzard trade for ventusaura and beet misty plus you have a power team so that my plan
you can beat everone easy

Uh...what? This is the original game here and there is no gts, no venusaur trades, and no wild venusaur. What are u even trying to say?

DGatrz Master

Trainer of Legends.
Ah, it's not really that. I've just had far to much experience with first gen...more than anyone should really. Plus Blue version is the version I have the most experience with so things just weren't connecting up for me. I still had to look it up to make sure my brain wasn't farting on itself.

I applaud you though for putting up with getting a Charizard just to beat Misty. I guess I always picked Bulbasuar or Squirtle XD That grinding must have been rigorous...and my friends called me crazy for the amount of grinding I can put up with...

It's not too hard when your raging over the 30 million times you lost to her XD

Ive Played red yellow and blue countless times and I know the easiest way every is to start with charmander catch a Nidoran male! get bot to level 9or 10 before fighting your rival the first time on the left of viridian. Nidoran learns horn attack at level 8 and charmander learns ember at level 9. Make sure to grab the potion out of the PC and grab the one at the secret tree. Fight through the viridian forest when you get out Charmander and nidoran should both be around level 12 if not level them in front of pewter till they are. I've had little to no difficulties with brock spamming ember till his onix is burned, I usually never even have to break out nidoran. Then using only those 2 pokemon fight all the trainers otw to ceruelean. In the first cave as soon as you walk in go to the left and its tm-12 which is water gun. Nidoran/nidorino can learn it and take out alll the rock types! Once nidorino hits lvl.20-21 evolve him with a moon stone that you find in the tunnel. At level 23 he learns thrash which obliterates pokemon including misty. if your nidoking is anywhere above 23 when you fight misty it will take out her staryu in on hit and do serious damage if no K.O. her stamie!

Status
Not open for further replies.