• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Grating Spaces! (453)

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Not sure if I'm the only one who noticed, but it seems Ikue Otani has taken back her role as Manene~

I disagree with the earlier comment suggesting that this was a mediocre episode. The animation was excellent for the most part, the battle was really enjoyable, and there were some pretty funny scenes scattered throughout.

Needless to say, I really got a lot out of this ep. It gave Brock some much-needed time to shine, delving into the aspects of his character that usually tend to lie dormant during the series. You have to love it when he wigs out over his folks' total lack of parenting skills, before reverting back to the level-headed housewife he really is.
Not to mention another chance to see how his mind works in a pokémon battle. He had some pretty interesting support strategy going on, what with launching Donphan into the air and blocking attacks with the debris from Iron Tail. It's times like this that I look at the poor schmuck and wonder just what, exactly, he did to deserve being a prop during Ash's Houen trek. Episodes like this certainly show that he hasn't quite crossed the border and landed himself in Hum-Drum.
And hey, Brock's Steelix didn't have the usual generic Haganail voice that's usually pasted onto the species. It still had a hint of the ol' Onix in there somewhere, and that was pleasently surprising.
And that Aggron's voice was fecking awesome. In-game cries are better? Hahaha, it is to laugh.

Battle itself was great. As I said earlier, there was some beautiful animation going on here, with a real sense of power behind each attack and some nice movement. Brock and Ash showing what they're best at is always good in my book, especially when a fighter like Donphan manages to get into the fray and take some names.
Team Rocket also performed well, though Jessie suffering from the brunt of the opposition's assualt was inevitable. Though I must say, I may not be a mjor Charizard hater, but hot damn. The fact that Charizard seemed to be on the recieving end of the majority of painful looking attacks was absolutely hillarious. And quite refreshing infact :p

Overall, there's very little I can say about this episode in a negative light...but I'll try ;)
Only complaints I have are;
- The lack of Crobat doing anything worthwhile.
- Mizuho only had about 2 minutes of screentime. I feel like I've been robbed.
- That forced inclusion of Pikachu during the blast-off scene. Just what was the point?
-
[img139]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/zardowned.jpg[/img139] [img139]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/zerd.jpg[/img139]
I TOTALLY CALLED THAT ONE.
Sort of.

Last edited:

Geodude

That doesn't matter. Different Pokemon can obviously be different sizes, within a reasonable range of course.

This episode also marks the first time that ALL of Brock's siblings had at least one speaking line, and time to say it individually.

And he named them all off, too. Cool.

And I THINK (someone'll have to confirm this) that Flint/Lola were actually NOT responsible for the gym decorations this time around. When the disguised TR showed up, the kids knew who they were (well, who they were supposed to be disguised as, anyway), so I kinda got the impression that TR did the "re-designing"...especially considering their reactions to what the kids were telling Brock.

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The only bad thing about this episode was giving Jessie a Charizard. Out of ALL the fire types in the world, they have to give her one of the most overused fire-types in the series. They had choices like Ninetails, Flareon, Magmar, Rapidash, Typlosion, etc. yet they keep re-using the same damn Pokemon over and over again.

Plus we just had the Charizard in the Hoenn league plus Ash's Charizard in the start of the BF, did we really need to see another one?

It's really disgusting that some of the lesser-seen fire types are always shafted for the same Pokemon over and over again. When the hell will we see Ninetails/Rapidash/Magmar/Typlosion in a decent battle again?

Anyway, I am convinced that Brock's parents are insane. Brock had every right to yell at them at the end, it was pretty funny too. They're really pathetic parents too. How many times have they abandoned their kids now? The fact that they were heading off to vacation leaving their 10 children home alone (and two of them are like 4 years old for goodness sakes!) is really nerve wrecking.

The ending gives the vibe that Flint/Lola learned their lesson, but who wants to bet they're going to go AWOL next time we see a reference to the Pewter Gym again?

All the more reason for Brock to stay there and reclaim his position as the Pewter Gym leader. He actually kicks *** in battle, but he never gets to unleash his potential in the main series because he'll always be under the shadow of Ash and May. I'm really hoping they give some excuse for Brock to return here as the BF saga draws to a close, he just "fits" there you know?

He's run his course, and Gym leader Brock >>>>>>>>>>>> tag along with Ash and be background material Brock.

Seriously, get Brock the hell off the main cast and put him back where he belongs instead of constantly wasting his potential in the main series.

Heracross

Custom User Title
Damn, it was awesome to see Satoshi and Takeshi working together at this level. Considering all the time they've known each other they don't express their frendship nearly enough.

pikachu146

Wow,Ash and Brock work well as a team.That donphan and Steelix combo was amazing!
How did TR get Charizard and Aggron? I Don't get it.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
pikachu146 said:
Wow,Ash and Brock work well as a team.That donphan and Steelix combo was amazing!
How did TR get Charizard and Aggron? I Don't get it.

Delibird, a delivery pokemon for Team Rocket, delivered them to Jessie and James thinking they were Cassidy and Butch. The pokemon belong to Giovanni.

Anywho... I LOVE DONPHAN SO FUDGIN' MUCH!!!

Seriously, it was really amazing in this episode and needs more time to shine! Steelix is amazing, although it's a shame that Geodude and Crobat were more or less shoved into the background. Aggron is cool, but Charizard is overdone. BADLY.

Great episode, I'm off!

Karma Dude

Uhhhhhh I like pies?
Yeah that was a cool episode I don't believe brocks mum made the place so girly...

B

Blaziken master

Well this is one of the best episodes I have seen in a while.Crobat looked so cute in its first scene!

ghost master

the kawaiist thing
The ending gives the vibe that Flint/Lola learned their lesson, but who wants to bet they're going to go AWOL next time we see a reference to the Pewter Gym again?

All the more reason for Brock to stay there and reclaim his position as the Pewter Gym leader. He actually kicks *** in battle, but he never gets to unleash his potential in the main series because he'll always be under the shadow of Ash and May. I'm really hoping they give some excuse for Brock to return here as the BF saga draws to a close, he just "fits" there you know?
Yeah this episode seemed to have made it only more obvious that he should stay. Also we thought flint and lola learned their lesson before but then watching this episode I guess they havent. Just like 3 certain sisters who cant work it out right even if misty's gone for a tiny bit.

One question. Flint and Lola are the owners of the gym but it seems like Forest battles the trainer since he owns Steelix, Geodude, and Crobat. It appeared like he was using Flint's Golem as well. Would that be considered Forrest borrowing the pokemon for the gym similar to Forest borrowing Brock's pokemon?

HoennMaster

I don't know if it is just me but it seemed like Charizard and Aggron were powerful when Team Rocket was in disguise, but as soon as they were revealed Charizard and Aggron were weak as ****. Anyone else agree?

Kabuto

little punks!
I don't know if it is just me but it seemed like Charizard and Aggron were powerful when Team Rocket was in disguise, but as soon as they were revealed Charizard and Aggron were weak as ****. Anyone else agree?

They are powerful, just that Team Rocket cannot battle.

While Charizard can take down an Articuno meanwhile under TR's control:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/zardowned.jpg

Even if it is a 4x weakness Geodude totally obliterated Charizard because of Team Rocket.

B

BrokenDreams

The episode was okay but they made Donphan look weak in this episode

Chatsy

Perverted Ash fan
Heracross said:
Damn, it was awesome to see Satoshi and Takeshi working together at this level. Considering all the time they've known each other they don't express their frendship nearly enough.
Word.

We need more of them boys working together >=O

This episode was quite good - It was nice to see how much Brock's siblings idolise him. However, I got annoyed at the end of the battle, after Team Rocket got blasted off, were we saw a scroll scene of Brock's siblings, May and Max, and then we close in on Brock, his brother, Ash and MAX!

>.O

He can't be that fast.
I loathe how they reuse certain scenes when they absolutely do not fit. Good grief.

And WTF was that thing Lola bought? I can't make it out. o.o

Overused it may be, but that has to be one of the the best looking 'Zards since the Cinnabar Gym battle. But since Jessie was using it, it was a total disaster. Had she used Aggron, she might've had a bit more luck(it can learn a lot more attacks...remember when she was spouting off attacks to Seviper way back in Hoenn?). That reminds me, was James equally as bad with Aggron?

What a waste of two awesome and powerful Pokés.;_;

And once again, no love for Geodude(it doesn't have a personality, but I like using them in the early game.:)). I'm starting to believe it really DOES have an Everstone wedged in its back.XD But it's a rare chance for Brocko to show what he can really do, so that's good.:)

JazzJazz

Pika Hikari KT said:
What a waste of two awesome and powerful Pokés.;_;

Were you actually expecting Jessie and James to utilise the full potential of charizard and aggron respectively?

RaikousThunder

Poison Tail!!
This episode looks cool. I likre it mostly cause it features Brock. Steelix looks awesome. I just love Onix's and Steelix's designs, theyre awesome. Was that beam attack from Steelix Dragonbreath? I liked the green flames better but it still looks cool. I would have liked Geodude to evolve too but eh Steelix is good. Cant wait to see this cept Brocks voice will probably be crappy. *misses Eric Stuart*

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
Delibird sure was a pleasant surprise, but everyone else already said that. And does this mean Yamato and Kosaburou now have a Bossgodora and Lizardon? Would be interesting if that Lizardon reappears, because then we'd be seeing the Pokemon portrayed in more antagonistic roles. Quite the contrast from the Lizardon that Satoshi owns (plus, it's very rare that two characters own the same Pokemon). And now I can't help wondering where the hell these Pokemon were in the previous episode, when we saw Rocket grunts using things like Zubat. If Sakaki could give Pokemon like that away, he sure as hell could equip his army a bit better.

Magical Leaf said:
Does that answer your question?
Really, it saddens me that Onix was the one to evolve, he was a good battler as he was. Geodude, however, was in need of a boost. Seems he'll always be a lovable lump...

I too think it was utter bulls*** that Iwark evolved. After Takeshi and Jirou were talking about the pride in having a rock-type gym back in that Housou special, what does Jirou go and do? Evolve the rock-type into a steel-type. And it's portrayed as Takeshi's signature Pokemon throughout the whole friggin franchise. Dumping it at the gym's one thing, but evolution basically says "He's neeeeeeever coming back". Besides, would a Goron's presence have killed them?

BTW, is this the first time that Haganeil was noted as having a ground sub-type? At some point, Masato (whom deserves the nickname "everyone's favorite piece of game continuity") mentions that Haganeil's a "Hagane/Jimen-taipu" (Steel/Ground-type).

ChaosMage said:
Steelix is amazing, although it's a shame that Ludicolo and Crobat were more or less shoved into the background.

Fixed it.

Seriously, the people complaining about Ishitsubute getting the shaft are forgetting that it at least got to participate in the battle at the end. Runpappa and Crobat would've killed for that sort of action, especially given that they didn't get much of a chance to shine when they were travelling with Takeshi (Crobat was both a flyer and one of Takeshi's Pokemon. It did nothing but scout, and rotted in its ball the rest of the time. Meanwhile, Runpappa got quite a bit of spotlight before it evolved, but after it reached its finally form, it appeared about five times and didn't take long to be ditched. Ishitsubute at least did slightly more than that).

Pika Hikari KT said:
Overused it may be, but that has to be one of the the best looking 'Zards since the Cinnabar Gym battle. But since Jessie was using it, it was a total disaster. Had she used Aggron, she might've had a bit more luck(it can learn a lot more attacks...remember when she was spouting off attacks to Seviper way back in Hoenn?). That reminds me, was James equally as bad with Aggron?

I agree, it looked pretty badass. Besides, would we really wanna see a lesser-used fire-type, particularly Kyuukon, getting pwned in a typical Rocket battle at the end? I sure as hell wouldn't want that. Besides, by having two large, dragon-like Pokemon, they not only seem threatening, but Musashi and Kojirou end up being easily impressed, thinking they'll be unstoppable.

And I think Kojirou did do better with Bossgodora. While Musashi only made use of basic Flamethrowers and Fire Spins and stuff, Kojirou took advantage of the fact that it could use Water Pulse, a less conventional attack which their opponents are weak against. Also, it was Musashi's Lizardon that started the fight between the two at the end by projecting Flamethrower onto Bossgodora's back (I don't know if Musashi gave a lousy command, or if the Lizardon itself doesn't know where to aim.... maybe Musashi got the idea of friendly fire after seeing Haganeil strike Donphan towards them, I'd have to watch it again).

Last edited: