• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Grave of the Fireflies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catalyst

Aim for the Top.
So I just watched this movie a short while ago and I thought it was excellent. It's a great story based on true events, it really got to me when Seita said "
And Setsuko never woke up...
"

Thoughts on the movie of those of you who have seen it?

Catalyst

Aim for the Top.
BattleFranky~40 said:
especially if you're dead set on wanting to be depressed for a day or so.

I was waiting for this supposed "depression" to kick in, but it never did. I just felt sorry for the girl.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
I'm apparently one of those heartless b*stards who found it to be depressing but not a tear-jerker like so many claim. Guess part of it was when I realized WHY they two ended up like they did...

"We don't like our aunt who has had a lot pushed onto her, and while she could be acting nicer to us, she still has a lot to deal with. So let's run away from her only to die because of radiation!"

I still felt incredibly sorry for them, but for that inane a reason... eh, they're both still children, so it is reasonable to expect something like that, but it just gave me the "inevitable fate" feeling (though I still admit to getting choked up with the events The End of Evangelion and Texhnolyze -- matter of presentation, I suppose).

Still, despite all that, an incredibly damn good movie. Easily more powerful than any Miyazaki story that I've come across, and personally I believe it is Ghibil's best work with Princess Mononoke behind it. The case with the hospital and the resulting scene with Seta and his sister trying to cope with the tragic loss... that was the most incredibly moving moment of the movie for me.

I think I need to rewatch it, though, to see if I can actually get emotional on a second round of it.

Penguin

The Chappy Bunny
I'm apparently one of those heartless b*stards who found it to be depressing but not a tear-jerker like so many claim. Guess part of it was when I realized WHY they two ended up like they did...

That makes us both heartless b*astards then.

It is a very good movie, probably one of my more favorite Ghiblie flicks.

Wolf Goddess

~Lupo Di Autunno~
I also found it rather depressing, but it didn't make me cry.
The fact that the two died pretty much because they didn't want to act responsible really made them lose my sympathy. I can understand Setsuko not acting mature, of course, but the brother really didn't have an excuse for his actions.

The movie was still very good; it was a powerful movie with amazing aesthetics. It was still very sad, and had numerous touching moments between the siblings; still, I didn't find myself bawling in the end.

Last edited:

GreenApple

Cherish the Day
This has to be my most favorite of Miyazaki's creations, it alone was enough to sway me to depression. I didn't expect the tragic ending, being so used to happy endings. By its conclusion it was easy to understand the beginning, and make much sense of the end. The fact that death brings them much content was more of a powerful reason to cry.

I'm considering another run, and dragging a friend with me. She should see it.

BlueFlameCharizard

The Original Shiny Pokemon
This is probably the only anime that sent me to tears... ^^() A very good movie, but also a very very sad one at that..

I do agree with the above comment that the boy was at fault though, but it's still sad.

Still a good bye for anyone that looking into a movie, just be prepared to be sadden by the end of the movie.

Last edited:

MegaRob

Ex-Tokyopop Intern
True, as he was busy with My Neighbor Totoro. Ironic that Ghibli originally released Totoro and Grave Of The Fireflies as a double-feature in the theaters in Japan. Though it's not my favorite film from Ghibli(as it's not easily rewatchable), it's one of my top-ten from the studio. I love the beautiful, non-depressing moments. The stuff with the sweet drops and the fireflies was pure magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.