• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gravihazard in UU

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
I know it says UU, but I'll probably test this out in OU if it works well.

Anyway, I wanted to make a team that uses entry hazards to their highest potential, so I worked a lot of this team around getting the hazards in play and getting switch-outs. I added Gravity so that even flying types get hurt by Spikes. Please do not comment on abilities or items that have not yet been released in 5th Gen.

Here's the team at a glance:
617.png
477.png
597.png
377.png
9.png
53.png

Lead:
617.png

Accelgor@Leftovers / Liechi Berry
Ability: Swarm
Nature: Lonely
EVs: 252 Spd, 180 Atk, 76 Sp Atk

-Substitute
-Me First
-Spikes
-Bug Buzz

In a nutshell, Accelgor starts with protect, then acts depending on what the foe does. If it sets up, Accelgor puts up Spikes until the Substitute is broken. If it attacks, Accelgor uses Me First on the next turn to do a ton of damage if it thinks it can OHKO (A ghost-type uses shadow ball, a Mienshao uses Aerial Ace, etc.). If not, it will use Bug Buzz or keep putting up more Substitutes or switch.

Spin-Blocker / Set-up #1:
477.png

Dusknoir@Eject Button
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP, 248 Atk, 4 Def, 4 Sp Def

-Gravity
-Drain Punch
-Payback
-Memento

Dusknoir is probably the best on the team at setting up Gravity. It has no other duties, so after it does this, it sweeps until its Eject Button sends it out of play. It comes back in the lategame to get rid of Rapid Spinners that ruin the strategy, as well as set up Gravity again as needed. It can also use Memento to get Persian, Regirock or Ferroseed an extra set-up turn.

Staller / Set-up #2:
597.png

Ferroseed@Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP, 140 Def, 116 Sp Def

-Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Toxic
-Iron Head

Eviolite Ferroseed has substantially better defenses and only slightly worse HP than its evolved form Ferrothorn. Really, I’m amazed that more people don’t use it. Anyway, because of that, it counts as UU, so I have no problems using it. The goal of this set is to set up Leech Seed to stall, and then put up as many Spikes as possible. With the combined Leech Seed, Toxic and Iron Barbs damage, Ferrothorn damages the foe each round, and tries to cause flinching with Iron Head.

Defensive Sweeper / Set-up #3:
377.png

Regirock@Red Card
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Sp Def

-Gravity
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

Regirock sets up Stealth Rock and maybe Gravity, and then sweeps. I send it in to give sandstorm teams a hard time, as well as to sweep with a hugely powerful (and 100% accurate in Gravity) Stone Edge.

Mixer:
9.png

Blastoise@Salac Berry
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 HP, 240 Spd, 16 Def

-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Dragon Tail
-Roar

Blastoise starts with Dragon Tail. When the foe brings it down to low health, Salac Berry activates, and Blastoise goes first with Rest. After that, it repeatedly uses Sleep Talk, which ignores the negative priority of Dragon Tail and Roar. Because of this, the foe’s pokemon are switched over and over to repeatedly inflict entry hazard damage on them.

Nasty Plot Sweeper:
53.png

Persian@Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Spd, 252 Sp Atk, 4 HP

-Hypnosis
-Nasty Plot
-Thunder
-Icy Wind / 60 Power HP Ice

Persian starts with (100% accurate in Gravity) Hypnosis. Then, the foe will either switch out or lie there sleeping, both of which grant Persian a free turn to set up Nasty Plot. Even though Persian’s base Sp Atk stat is 65, after a single Nasty Plot, it becomes more powerful than Attack Deoxys (without Life Orb, it would still be more powerful than Mewtwo). Technician boosts the ice type move’s power, and Thunder takes advantage of the accuracy boost from Gravity.

Any suggestions on the team?

Last edited:

jvh792

Last time I checked, Persian sucks. Why not replace him with any one of the other people who can put guys to sleep and learn nasty plot?

Quagsireking

I am the king!
I am afraid of your blastoise alone, and is this just a team you have thought up or is it your actual team for wifi and if so You got black/white i thought you were waiting for grey?

asterat

Banned
You have no sweepers that are powerful. Regirock is too slow and not powerful enough to sweep. Plus nobody uses ferroseeds because he has no recovery.
However the idea of a gravity team is pretty neat

xbinox

What the man above me already stated, also is blastoise really fast enough to use that set to effectiveness? also it is taunt bait, gets taunted it dies quickly.

anyways onto suggestions:

Why not try mew for a nastyplot sweeper? He has better stats overall and same move pool?

also why is dusknoir so attacking oriented? his attacks aren't going to deal much damage you are better off with this set:

Dusknoir @ leftovers
relaxed nature
252 def 252 sp def 4 hp
gravity
painsplit
will-o-wisp
seismic toss/nightshade (depending on if you are worried about ghosts or normals, probably want to go nightshade)

I'm not positive on my ev spread but you get the idea, I'm sure smogon has a good spread for him

EDIT: also I see that you like to use persian in OU so do I but the nastyplot persian is outclassed in pretty much every tier so it doesn't make sense, I do however run the fakeout lead persian in ou which is nice. My excuse for using it over ambipom is "hypnosis" but to be honest I could care less for hypnosis I just like persian a lot haha, so it's just something I say to stop the haters ;)

Last edited:

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Answering all of your questions:

jvh792 said:
Last time I checked, Persian sucks. Why not replace him with any one of the other people who can put guys to sleep and learn nasty plot?

Persian is the fastest such pokemon. The next fastest is Ninetales (OU, can't use), and after that, at a not-too-reliable 95 base speed are Jynx and Plusle. Although they have better Sp Atk, I need the speed to outspeed threats like Salamence, Hydreigon, Mienshao, and a bunch of other common OU threats.

Quagsireking said:
is this just a team you have thought up

Yes. This is purely theoretical so far.

asterat said:
You have no sweepers that are powerful.

This is actually a very good point. I was thinking of replacing Regirock with a more capable sweeper. Also, if I get rid of Ferroseed, I can give the Eviolite to Dusclops, so this team is very much still in progress. I also agree that Dusknoir can't really pull off sweeping, but how else will he deal with Rapid Spinners?

Thanks for your suggestions, by the way.

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
I have decided to take out Ferroseed and replace it with a more reliable sweeper / spike user:

545.png

Scolipede@Focus Sash
Ability: Swarm
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Spd, 252 Atk, 4 HP

-Swords Dance
-Megahorn
-Earthquake
-Spikes

This is the definition of the ultimate Gravity sweeper. In Gravity, Megahorn hits all the time, gets perfect coverage with Earthquake, and gets a boost from Swarm after the Focus Sash activates. Scolipede's attack after a single Swords Dance also gets boosted to obscene levels.

What do you think?

Ditto123

~Word~
Sableye vs Scolipede.

Sableye Taunts with Prankster priority.
Scolipede cannot use Swords Dance.

Sableye uses WoW.
If it hits, Scolipede does lower damage.

If it does less then half, Sableye can Night Shade or something.
Scolipede hits.

Sableye spams Priority Recover until burn eats Scolipede away and Taunts if it wears out

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
The idea behind Accelgor is that there are 3 kinds of leads:

1) The kind that set up things like screens and hazards. Accelgor uses the free turns to set up Spikes.
2) The kind that immediately attack with Scarf or Band, like your Medicham, M's Hat. Accelgor uses Me First to destroy them.
3) The kind that open with Taunt. Accelgor is kind of screwed.

Alternately, I could use a different frail spiker, Froslass. I could still set up Spikes on free turns and disable choice leads to force a switch.

Ditto123 said:
Sableye vs Scolipede.

Sableye Taunts with Prankster priority.
Scolipede cannot use Swords Dance.

In this fantasy of yours, Scolipede switches in to Sableye. (Yeah, I'm not that stupid). If Sableye switches in to me, I'll use Swords Dance on the switch and then attack with full power after Will-O-Wisp.

Last edited:

Ai7iS

Head Forum Moderator
I would suggest a good wall that can use Whirlwind/Roar, so you can fully abuse gravity and your entry hazards. Also, maybe a guy with toxic spikes as well.

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
I would suggest a good wall that can use Whirlwind/Roar, so you can fully abuse gravity and your entry hazards. Also, maybe a guy with toxic spikes as well.

Isn't Blastoise the equivalent Whirlwinder? In answer to your other question, I can't have Toxic Spikes. If I did, Persian wouldn't be able to put the pokemon switching up to sleep, because they would already be poisoned.

Soperman

The One and Only
Why is Accelgor lonely? why not just boost his already-decent Sp. Attack?No offense, but his Attack stinks. Put all of the attck EVs into Sp. Attack, and 4 on hp or something. Also, he doesn't have Swarm. And you say he starts with protect, but... he doesn't have protect, only substitute...
You messed up really badly an Accelgor. However, I love the rest of the team. Using Gravity is really creative.

Eaglehawk

Banned
Quick change.

Ferroseed
Substitute > Toxic

SubSeed never fails.

Plus, also regarding your statement about why no one uses Ferroseed in UU. Simply put, UU has better Steel-types in comparison to Ferroseed. Furthermore, what separates this set from being a mini-Thorn is that it lacks the Attack commonly seen on its OU counterpart and has a much lower HP, making it more susceptible to Spikes damage and Weather damage.

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Sorry for missing your post xbinox. Usually I make my UU teams able to compete in OU, just because I like the idea of winning with lower-tier pokemon.

As for Accelgor, Lonely nature is because I want to Me First a move even if it is physical. Also, when I said Protect, I meant Substitute. It also shields him for a turn, so it works the same way. Still, I agree that Accelgor's strategy is not very good, so I'm thinking of swapping it for a different lead.

20100219173905%21386Deoxys-Defense.png

Defense Deoxys @ Mental Herb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP, 156 Def, 100 Sp Def

-Thunder Wave
-Taunt
-Spikes
-Recover

Mental Herb protects it from Taunt on the first turn while it uses Thunder Wave. If the foe used Taunt in that turn, Deoxys (now faster) will use Taunt on the next turn to keep the foe from Taunting. After that, it sets up Spikes and Recovers off any damage.

Deoxys-D is UU, right? I heard that somewhere.

Super Nerd 7997

Crazy Plant Guy
I like what you did there, especially with Blastoise. Gravity is such a cool move I don't see why more people don't use it. Shame Starmie's OU, I had an awesome Starmie set with Gravity last Gen that would work well as a special sweeper.

Soperman

The One and Only
Deoxys looks great. Recover seems kinda pointless. Since you're probably going to switch him out after setting up, I guess it doesn't matter.

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Spikes requires 3 turns of set up. The odds of me surviving that long without Recover are extremely low.