• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gravity in Competitive Play

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
I recently made a team based off of Gravity, a great field effect that was introduced in 4th Gen. It has really useful effects such as ignoring Levitate and the flying type of opponents (EQ hits everything) and making any move with 60 or more accuracy always hit. Still, I haven't seen a single other team that uses Gravity in 5th Gen play. So I would like to know...

How useful is Gravity in the 5th Gen metagame?
Is it worth it to set up Gravity or build a team around it?
What are some good ways to make full use of Gravity?

Personally, I think the move is far from useless, but is this move largely ignored because it's not useful, or because it's not well known?

Discuss!

The turn and moveslot is generally not worth the otherwise negligible effect. Most Pokemon that learn Gravity can not sweep and its even less potent than Trick Room.

Then again Gravity is a really cool move,

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
Isn't Gravity really good in doubles?

Special Victini could fire off 90% Inferno's with 100% burn chance (suck it Will-O-Wisp!)

asterat

Banned
It takes a turn to set up, I guess you could use it. The only thing I can think of that REALLYabuses itisfocus blast thunder or hurricane. But thunder and hurricane you would just run In rain.... It could be useful with stone edge though, but if everything is grounded you would just use EQ usually

Dark Sharpedo

s tier of dopeness
well, i think of it as a big help. Zapdos would be creamed by any Gravity Team, same with any other Flying, Electric Type, such as Thundurus.

Dragoon952

The Winter Moth
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Gravity only last 3 turns? Trick Room lasts 5 and that's barely enough to use and switch.

Edit: My fault, it is 5. Maybe I was thinking of Tailwind.

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
For starters, any Pokemon that has to rely on Focus Blast for coverage will LOVE Gravity (what with the Accuracy boost). Y'know, Reuniclus, Zoroark, Alakazam, there's no end to those guys. Another great perk is that Pokemon like Landorus can just Choice Band Earthquake and rip through/severely damage many teams. Also is the endless spamming of Thunder, Sing, Blizzard, Hydro Pump, and Fire Blast (looking at you, Starmie and Nidoking) that can now be freely used with no drawbacks. Yet another is the fact that Chansey gets it. Combined with the facts that it gets Gravity, Eviolite, Sing, Blizzard, and Thunder (of course, Blissey could be used for the sake of Sp. Atk. and Leftovers), it is no boon to Gravity that the ol' egg gets Gravity. On a smaller note, its also nice for Hi Jump Kick to be disabled.

Regrettably, Gravity is not without its faults. Taunt of course screws with it, especially considering that only two OU Gravity users (Sigilyph and Jirachi) are above base 60 Speed. Another issue is quite what Blue Harvest said, no Pokemon that learns Gravity will be able to take advantage of it effectively. And it only lasts five turns with no lengthening items to found...

Gravity really is a gimmick in today's Metagame, and I suspect that despite the benefits, it will stay that way until some of its flaws are dealt with.

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Here's another great feature; Spikes and Toxic Spikes hit everyone. That alone would make it great for hazard teams, but it also makes Hypnosis hit all the time. When the foe is asleep, the common action is to switch out, further helping the hazard teams. Hazard teams also need SpinBlockers, so why don't we see more Dusclops/Dusknoirs with Gravity? Chansey with Gravity, as mentioned before, is also great for setting up Gravity due to its cleric abilities.

Gravity-abusing Starmie is fun. Maybe not the most viable set it's got, but it's still fun. Most of the time, though, Gravity is a gimmick at best.

Soperman

The One and Only
Gravity is a great move. The only problem is that (except for maybe Jirachi) none of the pokemon who can learn Gravity can actually make good use of it. Believe me, I checked. The only pokemon with decent Attack or Special Attack stats are Jirachi, Dusknoir, Arceus, Sigilyph, and Gigalith. Jirachi, Arceus and Sigilyph are the only ones who have good speed to spam with it, and only Jirachi and Arceus can actually use Gravity really well without switching out. Even then it's iffy.
Gravity would be more widely used if it was given to pokemon who can actually use it well. Why would a Chansey or Blissey use Gravity?

asterat

Banned
Here is a gravity abuse

Porygon2
-Gravity
-recover
-thunder
-Blizzard
bolt beam right?

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
^You make a good point, that Gravity was a 4th Gen Tutor Move...

I gotta check something.

EDIT: Magenzone, Forretress, Porygon2 and Starmie itself are the ones who would get the most use out of it, I think.

Psycho Cut

I didn't know that Gravity increased accuracy until recently. For me, this has certainly made it a viable, and good, option. What's more, it's fun and different :)