• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Great games that should be released outside Japan

Kabuto

little punks!
The mother series comes to mind.

I actually think there is a potential for the series to revive. Like many things, it took a while for the series to get recognized. SSB helped Mother get some fan praise (giving attention to it in the US).

Obviously mother is not the only game that should be imported. Its just the example that I am providing.

Sk@rmory288

Put User Title Here
Monster Hunter 2 for the PS2 definetly needs 2 come to the U.S.

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet
MOTHER 3. YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE.

Srsly.

Zora

perpetually tired
Mother. Mother 2 isn't enough.

Early Fire Emblem. Let us live the Golden Age of Fire Emblem.

The Japan's equivalent of EBA (can't spell it)

Several Tales games that never made it here, IE Destiny II (not Eternia), Rebirth

Stafy's series

Secret of Mana 2

That is just what comes off my head. Also, please excuse me if I never studied their Japanese names and just using the English name

woot21

super noob
Mother 3!!!!11one!!! Or did you mean besides the obvious?

Tingle's Rupee Land, or w/e the hell it is called. We all know Tingle is the greatest LoZ character ever. Also, how about an actual port that isn't on the VC of Sin and Punishment and SMB2.

woot21 out dawgs

Zora

perpetually tired
Mother 3!!!!11one!!! Or did you mean besides the obvious?

Tingle's Rupee Land, or w/e the hell it is called. We all know Tingle is the greatest LoZ character ever. Also, how about an actual port that isn't on the VC of Sin and Punishment and SMB2.

woot21 out dawgs

No, he was obviously referring to the broken grindfest called Mother 1...

The Japan's equivalent of EBA (can't spell it)

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan series. The only thing I think the US will see of this is another EBA game, unless Nintendo wishes to culture us on Japanese music, in which case Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan would come out. Though EBA didn't go over as big outside Japan, so we may not even see an EBA sequel.

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan series. The only thing I think the US will see of this is another EBA game, unless Nintendo wishes to culture us on Japanese music, in which case Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan would come out. Though EBA didn't go over as big outside Japan, so we may not even see an EBA sequel.

I first thought that EBA was a direct translation from the japanese version, but it just seemed so wrong how it could be.

Hope it DOES come out, but I doubt it will.

Rave

Banned
Mainly the Mother titles and Fire Emblem.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Jump Super Stars or Jump Ultimate Stars for DS. I imported both of them and they are a blast! They're basically the 2-D equivalent of SSB, but with Shonen Jump characters. If you ever get the time (and money), and you have a basic grasp of Japanese (sadly, there's no language switching option...), I highly recommend picking these titles up.

Of course, Jump Ultimate Stars is better in comparison because it's the sequel to Super Stars, has more characters, a better fighting system, and many other upgrades. If you can't read/speak Japanese, there's always fan-made walkthroughs...

Anzua2

Mother was alright, but there was a balancing issue at the end.

Otherwise, Mother 3 should get over here.

It's an RPG with a good story line. That's rare, and makes up for the minor gameply issues.

Zora

perpetually tired
Mother was alright, but there was a balancing issue at the end.

Otherwise, Mother 3 should get over here.

Eh? Mother 1 had balancing issues and was too hard and become a grindfest. Mother 2 was easy all around, you just had to level grind from time to time, usually to get a particular PSI. In the end though, Ness was god due to THAT level up. Mother 3? I guess it was easy towards the end, but it was all-around fairly challenging, but not a grindfest like Mother 1.

woot21

super noob
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Jump Super Stars or Jump Ultimate Stars for DS. I imported both of them and they are a blast! They're basically the 2-D equivalent of SSB, but with Shonen Jump characters. If you ever get the time (and money), and you have a basic grasp of Japanese (sadly, there's no language switching option...), I highly recommend picking these titles up.

Of course, Jump Ultimate Stars is better in comparison because it's the sequel to Super Stars, has more characters, a better fighting system, and many other upgrades. If you can't read/speak Japanese, there's always fan-made walkthroughs...
Because it could never happen outside of Japan due to legal issues. It would be a legal nightmare just to get all the rights to the characters from all of the different dubbing companies and such. All those characters aren't owned by one company outside of Japan. It would be like having a Smash Bros game with only third party characters.

woot21 out dawgs

Chris

Old Coot
Ouendan didn't do well in Japan. Its sales mainly came from imports. Same way how EBA did better in sales through Japanese imports. Funny how that works.

Either way, Ouendan got a sequel in Japan. So I wouldn't say it's not possible for EBA to get a sequel.

Anyways, here's a game that SHOULD have been released outside of Japan; Sega Simultaion SEGAGAGA for the Dreamcast.

Zora

perpetually tired
Minor? Enemies in the last area raped your characters regardless. The only way you could remotely survive is if you had EVE in your party and then grinded. By the way, Mother was translated completely by NOA, but for some reason pulled the plug on it. It's questionable where any of those test carts are (one of them landed in the hands of a ROM dumper, which is where we get our Earthbound Zero ROMs from).

So anyway, I consider that a major flaw.

Mother 1 doesn't count for the entire series. Everyone knows it was a grindfest, one that required too much grinding. Even the Mother fans...

Zora

perpetually tired
I didn't find the grinding in that game to be that bad. I recall grinding once in front of the zoo, and each time I got a permanent character. Otherwise that was it. Earthbound, I practically had to grind for every Sanctuary except the last one.

0_o

I found EB (as in Mother 2) to be REALLY easy... just had to grind once

Zora

perpetually tired
Oh sure when you factor in Bottle Rockets and how ridiculously powerful Ness becomes at the end.

Eh, I only used Bottle Rockets from time to time, and just to get rid of them. Ness got powerful at the end, but it was really only useful for the final bosses. But even then, it was still pretty easy. Began with some difficulty, and got slowly easier. I think by the time you get Jeff, or maybe Paula, it becomes easy enough.